15 Shades of Grey, A new start.... with Primaris,

Dantay VI

I managed to pick up some rust coloured spray and hit the knights with a coat before spraying the frames with the steel paints, which looks pretty good. The gold and metals are going to get masked off, so I can respray with the airbrush and lay down some decals. The tanks and leviathans are the same, although great swathes have been sprayed gold. My eye sight is not too great so the knot work is getting harder to do. FPS has me really envious... So I have laid down some gold. The plan is to then overlay with custom decals and then use liquid mask to protect the decals while I do the grey armour. I can then go back and tidy up after.

Having sprayed everything gold, I actually really rather like it and make s me want to do some Minotaurs or custodes :biggrin.:

Will get my wife to take some pictures of my work space so you can see where I left them.

Hopefully when I get home the pace of life will be easier. My 8 year old son has been having problems with bullies both in and out of school. During the holidays it got bad enough that we had an 11 year old charged with assault ( we are not proud, but we were not left with much choice)and  at his school I have had to go over there 3 times in 3 weeks, had him home twice with anxiety issues making him ill and the school have done literally nothing to help his situation.

Last week we decided that we as a family had had enough, the issues have been there for 2 years. They were manageable, but recently have become worse. My son is falling to bits, my wife is upset and stressed out and needless to say I am not happy about the situation.

Last year alone we had 8 or more meetings with the school and every time, we were told something would be done, but our son had to do this or change that.....We went to outside agencies who gave great advice (Parent 2 Parent are brilliant and I would recommend them to anyone, they were a great support to us) who offered to mediate but the school refused saying it could be handed internally I am tired of my son being told he has to change, but the bullies get a talking to and thats that!! While he tries to deal with things what is preventing the bullies from continuing to cause trouble for him?

We do not want  the bullies to win, but if the school will not help him (and we can only do so much from home, as we cannot go into the school, cannot approach the bullies or their parents) we have decided that he needs to change school. Thankfully we have found a great school nearby and after some visits to see what it is like he looks like he will settle in really well. We will also be going to the local authorities to complain about the schools handling of our sons situation. He isn't the first to move due to these problems at his school, from his class, and not sure if he will be the last

Anyways rant over.

Didn't get any model work done, but hopefully the family is now take care of.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the rambling...

Sorry to hear about your issues with the school, unfortunately bullying remains a serious problem that public schools neither seem able or willing to address. I hope the new school works out better.

Sorry to hear the about the school issues.  My daughter faced some bullying when she went from her private preschool to the public school in 1st grade

I met with her teacher and was lucky the teacher took action and ended the bullying

I would go wulfen if my child was the victim and the school was doing absolutely nothing despite being fully informed

I would go wulfen if my child was the victim and the school was doing absolutely nothing despite being fully informed

To be fair often a school and the teachers are fairly hamstrung when it comes to responding to such situations. A friend of mine was working as an assistant teacher the last few years and had to put up with a lot of aggression, bad behavior and even violence from some of the students but his options for dealing with such behavior were extremely limited. He could not even give the kids a time-out or sit them somewhere else in the classroom. Schools can't really do all that much to punish or address the behavior of problem students and the only real recourse is to pile up enough evidence that the kids can eventually be expelled, but then they just move to another school and the cycle starts all over again.

Gold can be pretty fun to paint, I'd recommend using Retributor armour as the base. I had some fun painting the custodes you get in Burning of Prospero.

Really sorry to hear about your son, I hope the new school goes well. I hope it's a relief for you all to know that he is moving. Now I have kids myself I find it particularly hard to hear about children suffering.

Just read all of this. Sorry to hear about your situation Dantay. Anyone got like that to my son id be had up on charges for going after their parents. And emperor help my son if ever i find out he is bullying anyone.

It's appalling that nothing has been done, however as has been stated already, often the teachers hands are tied.

I have various friends/family in education and they all struggle with it. Main problem being parents and children having zero respect for the teacher or the law. In fact it is not that unusual for the parent in some cases to actively encourage the disorderly behaviour. It's atrocious.

I hope everything gets sorted out quickly. I'm sure he will be fine. Kids are amazingly resilient. :)

Cheers,

GM

• 3 months later...

Happy new year to everyone.

Sorry for being away for so long 

Also many thanks for all the well wishes with regards to my son.

He is now thoroughly enjoying his new school and has earned he is in a safe place so all is good there.

Unfortunately or me I have not picked up a model in months let alone paint. I have been signed off work with depression and mustering the energy to do anything constructive.

However, I am trying to change that, so I am turning to you guys.

So going back to previous posts

46620076041_876fd63baf_b.jpglevi dread by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

I did some gold on the leviathan. Do you think I could put a decal over it and then use mask to protect the areas I want left gold. Or do you think I should go with a black/ red outline design akin to FearPeteySodes amazing Levuathan?

Also I have no made any more progress on my 2 knights

46620075321_3224930618_b.jpgknight1 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

I want to put pilots in, and the ideas I have, mean using figures on thrones,,,, Any idea how easy it would be to remove the original throne mechanicums??

46620075681_567328fc8a_b.jpgthrone mechanicum by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

Glad to hear about your son! That’s got to be a massive relief.

Thanks for the Levi shout out haha. For the masking would you use tape to make a design or liquid mask or something? Sounds pretty cool though I haven’t done anything like it!

I don’t have any insights on the knights either, the two I made were pre wave 2 let alone cockpit upgrade...

Hey FPS.

I'd be looking to use liquid mask over the decal.

If it works will use for the vindicator and sicaran venator.

Edited by Dantay VI

• 3 weeks later...

Well Flickr as changed, so running pictures through BnC for now.

May go back to Imgur, any suggestions on a decent free picture hosting website from anyone?

Cheers guys for your encouragement

A wee plug for Lidl. They got these for £2.49 each or 2 for £4. I think an absolute bargain

Cutting wheels

Diamond cutting bits

Well did a bit of cutting and chopping. Basically cracked my knights torso's open to put 2 pilots in. Also done a mech pilot for the Atropos.

Knight pilots

My long suffering veterans have had some work done on their bases. I bought the Egyptian roller from Greenstuffworld, and used the very last of my milliputt to try out.
Quite like the result and with some debris on the base, I could be able to make a good number of bases

Veteran bases

Beyond that I managed to get the pilots and gunners sorted out for the Javelins. 1 pair have Salamanders torso's and the other Space Wolves torsos... I imagine the Salamander guys are basically SW big game hunters and will be drake slayers :)

Javelin 2

Javelin 1

Trying to get old kits ut of the way I also git the Arcus 90% done, hat the way the turret sits, so want t do something to raise it slightly and give it a better fit. The Land Raider mark 2B is also done and sporting an assault cannon razorback turret for fun.

Sicaran Arcus

Raider mark 2b

For air cover I got the xiphon sprayed and will update the cockpit soon :) Another flyer in my SW armada.

Xiphon

And lastly vehicle wise, I got the 2 razorbacks out of the freezer and split them apart, then rebuit them with SW specific parts and added multi meltas. These are removable for 40K play where hey are illegal.
These can now run as razorback or rhino's

Veteran rhinos

Now with all the armour progressing nicely, on to the juicy stuff

Got this little lunatic finished off at long last.

thumbnail

I used Haldor Icepelts head, and the axe head popped off, disappearing without trace. I found this blade laying on the desk, so stuck it on, and I think it looks pretty good. Just not sure what to call him, or run him as.  Any thoughts??

Todays bit of fun were these guys

thumbnail (18)

thumbnail (22)

thumbnail (21)

thumbnail (19)

thumbnail (15)

Indomitus termi's

As you can see it is a fair mash up of bis and are in very early stages... The FW varagyr will get their legs retweaked and the furs will be ground down and off and you can see there is a lot of potential and work in the others.

thumbnail (22)

For example the Tartaros guys are based on Deathguard models, the armour between the legs, will be shortened and reshaped to look like the imagery in Inferno. If I cannot do it then it will be gone and replaced with fur pelts.

thumbnail (19)

The arm weapons may stay to represent combi weapons and the scythes will be converted to big 2 handed axes or harpoons (as described in A Thousand Sons) and bolters or combi bolters maglocked to the armour.

Another set based on Deathguard Grave Wardens are these guys.

thumbnail (15)

Grave Warden Legs, SW terminator torso's and Grave Warden arms. Trying to work out the best weapon loadout.. Do I go with claws and fists or combi-bolters and fists?

The remaining Grave Warden bits are used with the standard cataphractii parts.

thumbnail (21)

The belts are incomplete as I have KF studio bits that I may use here.

What I need help with though is how to wolf these up and tidy up the top sections?

thumbnail (17)

Also how to disguise the big gaps at the back?

thumbnail (20)

And these guys will be in Indomitus, as I am 95% sure I am short of Cata arms and pads.

Indomitus termi's

Again, not sure of weapon load out, any thoughts??

And finally

I applied some gold to these 2 guys

Vindicator laser destroyer

Sicaran Venator

WIll work on decal designs and see how they go....

Thanks for looking :)

For size comparison across the 5 terminator squads, there isn't much in it if you do not use the Varagyr top knots

Well Flickr as changed, so running pictures through BnC for now.

May go back to Imgur, any suggestions on a decent free picture hosting website from anyone?

Cheers guys for your encouragement

A wee plug for Lidl. They got these for £2.49 each or 2 for £4. I think an absolute bargain

Well did a bit of cutting and chopping. Basically cracked my knights torso's open to put 2 pilots in. Also done a mech pilot for the Atropos.

My long suffering veterans have had some work done on their bases. I bought the Egyptian roller from Greenstuffworld, and used the very last of my milliputt to try out.
Quite like the result and with some debris on the base, I could be able to make a good number of bases

Beyond that I managed to get the pilots and gunners sorted out for the Javelins. 1 pair have Salamanders torso's and the other Space Wolves torsos... I imagine the Salamander guys are basically SW big game hunters and will be drake slayers :smile.:

Trying to get old kits ut of the way I also git the Arcus 90% done, hat the way the turret sits, so want t do something to raise it slightly and give it a better fit. The Land Raider mark 2B is also done and sporting an assault cannon razorback turret for fun.

For air cover I got the xiphon sprayed and will update the cockpit soon :smile.: Another flyer in my SW armada.

And lastly vehicle wise, I got the 2 razorbacks out of the freezer and split them apart, then rebuit them with SW specific parts and added multi meltas. These are removable for 40K play where hey are illegal.
These can now run as razorback or rhino's

Now with all the armour progressing nicely, on to the juicy stuff

Got this little lunatic finished off at long last.

I used Haldor Icepelts head, and the axe head popped off, disappearing without trace. I found this blade laying on the desk, so stuck it on, and I think it looks pretty good. Just not sure what to call him, or run him as.  Any thoughts??

Todays bit of fun were these guys

As you can see it is a fair mash up of bis and are in very early stages... The FW varagyr will get their legs retweaked and the furs will be ground down and off and you can see there is a lot of potential and work in the others.

For example the Tartaros guys are based on Deathguard models, the armour between the legs, will be shortened and reshaped to look like the imagery in Inferno. If I cannot do it then it will be gone and replaced with fur pelts.

The arm weapons may stay to represent combi weapons and the scythes will be converted to big 2 handed axes or harpoons (as described in A Thousand Sons) and bolters or combi bolters maglocked to the armour.

Another set based on Deathguard Grave Wardens are these guys.

Grave Warden Legs, SW terminator torso's and Grave Warden arms. Trying to work out the best weapon loadout.. Do I go with claws and fists or combi-bolters and fists?

The remaining Grave Warden bits are used with the standard cataphractii parts.

The belts are incomplete as I have KF studio bits that I may use here.

What I need help with though is how to wolf these up and tidy up the top sections?

Also how to disguise the big gaps at the back?

And these guys will be in Indomitus, as I am 95% sure I am short of Cata arms and pads.

Again, not sure of weapon load out, any thoughts??

And finally

I applied some gold to these 2 guys

WIll work on decal designs and see how they go....

Thanks for looking :smile.:

So how did you find working with the Milliput and the Rollers from GreenStuff World?  My first attempt using the ultra fine white was it stuck into the fine detail in some parts of the roller and no matter what I used to try and get it out, it was stuck solid within seconds!

I found it worked pretty well.

The flat spots are where the milliputt was a bit low compared to the edges.

It got stuck on the roller if I pressed too hard, but I kept it all wet with warm water so using the wives toothbrush I managed to get 98% of it off.

Was her old toothbrush

I found it worked pretty well.

The flat spots are where the milliputt was a bit low compared to the edges.

It got stuck on the roller if I pressed too hard, but I kept it all wet with warm water so using the wives toothbrush I managed to get 98% of it off.

Was her old toothbrush

I have now run out often stuff and milliputt, so have been trying to use procreate, but darn is it stiff to mix and shape.

Is it supposed to be like that???

yeah, yeah it was her old toothbrush. :biggrin.:

I saw something on youtube about using plasticine with the milliput, almost a 50/50 mix, so I gave that a go, it makes it less sticky, more flexible and plasticine is cheap as chips.  I also tried using DAS which is mega cheap and it very brittle so it cracks really well to make rubble bits, I did find I had to add some gloss varnish or similar before painting otherwise it turns to sludge.  Greenstuff is still the best, but bit a pricey.