Did you use the new Averland sun set spray or Yellow Daemon Primer? Did you base coat grey white or black? I hate priming white but it is doable.

I agree with either a rieklands flesh shade or agrax thinned down with some water, I like edge highlights with Yriel and bleached bone. Just remember don't go crazy with the shade and let each step dry before painting on the next layer.

Did you use the new Averland sun set spray or Yellow Daemon Primer? Did you base coat grey white or black? I hate priming white but it is doable.

I agree with either a rieklands flesh shade or agrax thinned down with some water, I like edge highlights with Yriel and bleached bone. Just remember don't go crazy with the shade and let each step dry before painting on the next layer.

I primed white and use the averland spray.

Yriel & flash gitz were drybushed.

Thin Agrax with Lahmian medium instead, thinning it with water can lead to some weird effects where it pools and goes white, the lahmian keeps the same texture.

Spray Averland, paint reikland + lahmian medium mix directly into the recesses

Tidy up with averland

Highlight with appropriate pale yellow. I think Dorn yellow is the right one. 

Thin Agrax with Lahmian medium instead, thinning it with water can lead to some weird effects where it pools and goes white, the lahmian keeps the same texture.

Spray Averland, paint reikland + lahmian medium mix directly into the recesses

Tidy up with averland

Highlight with appropriate pale yellow. I think Dorn yellow is the right one. 

I do have dorn yellow, might give this a try, won't it be very beige like though? Averland seems more orange/beige than yellow.

I do have dorn yellow, might give this a try, won't it be very beige like though? Averland seems more orange/beige than yellow.

That's the trick. You actually highlight yellow with beige colours.

Check this tutorial for painting imperial fists, they have a similar scheme.

Hey guys, looking for some advice... going to be painting some gold termies soon and I'm unsure of how to achevie the burnished gold look I want. In the past and on my other gold termies I used retributor gold with a wash or two of agrax and I was fairly happy with the results and how easy it was. However, I've been messing around and found a way to make a burnished gold using silver with a wash of seraphim sepia. I haven't tried this on a big enough scale to see how it looks on a whole marine and I don't have a test model to use currently... so should I stick with my original gold recepie or should I try the silver/sepia method? If anyone recommends the latter, please let me know exactly how you'd do it. I feel like I'm missing something with just silver and sepia wash... maybe another wash? Maybe a brighter or darker silver to start? I can post pics of my gold termies in a bit if it helps Edited by Brother Lemartes

Here's how my current "burnished gold" looks, which probably need a couple more washes of agrax now that i look at them...

Unfortunately I don't have a reference photo for what I want to achieve. Pretty much I just found a good burnished gold tutorial with some nice pics using the silver method awhile ago, but I am unable to find it now... I've also heard from people in my club that you need to use the silver method to get a "real" burnished gold, but I don't know all the steps to this "silver method". Ultimately I may just stick with what I was doing before since I don't want to have to repaint all these guys, but if someone knows or can show me another method that I like, I may just make the switch..

Here's how my current "burnished gold" looks, which probably need a couple more washes of agrax now that i look at them...

Unfortunately I don't have a reference photo for what I want to achieve. Pretty much I just found a good burnished gold tutorial with some nice pics using the silver method awhile ago, but I am unable to find it now... I've also heard from people in my club that you need to use the silver method to get a "real" burnished gold, but I don't know all the steps to this "silver method". Ultimately I may just stick with what I was doing before since I don't want to have to repaint all these guys, but if someone knows or can show me another method that I like, I may just make the switch..

Try reikland fleshshade, which is one I use very often since it has a reddish tinge to it.

Edited by Spagunk

Finally got to play a game today, went very badly.  I wasn't feeling particularly inspired when building my list so I just tried a bunch of stuff I had never used before.  This was a bad idea because I ended up trying to outshoot the Tau.  My only CC units were pistol/blade scouts and a librarian dreadnought, if that counts.  The scouts did nothing but die all game, and overall it was a disaster of a game (ended up 7 to 11 with only a flame Baal and a single HP drop pod left), but I enjoyed most of the units individually.  I had sternguard, who put out enough damage in one turn to draw fire from every single thing that was in range the next turn.  

My flamer Baal was by far the mvp of the game, being the only unit besides a drop pod to survive turn three but in the following rounds it killed 2 squads of three Crisis suits (including his warlord) and made a unit of Fire Warriors break and flee an objective, letting me steal it from him.  It never lost a hull point and my opponent was convinced it was going to singlehandedly win me the game because it roasted everything that had a halfway decent chance of killing it.  

Lib dread could hardly have done any better for me, rolling Rampage as a WL trait (so it always had bonus attacks) and Shield of Sanguinius (and he never failed to cast any of his spells).  He ripped apart a tank and a huge squad of Kroot before getting glanced to death by Fire Warriors that got behind him.  I wish he'd had some offensive spells, though, as he lacked damage output outside of assaults.  I also brought some Razorbacks (I had only ever used Rhinos before) which were nice, but I don't think they're worth the points.  Having fast vehicles is definitely better, though!  

Overall, I'm glad I tried out new units, but this might be the last time I leave the DC at home.  Also fielded a CAD instead of a BSF or formations for the first time, ObSec meant nothing and doesn't really play the way I want to play BA, so I think I'll stick with BSF or LBSF next time.  Next time I want to try new units I'll have to do a better job including them.

Listen to this man. In my experience, you want to start with a warm ochre, shade with an orange, then highlight with cool yellows up to cool light beige.

That's how these helmets were painted:

gallery_60983_8363_147581.jpg

Listen to this man. In my experience, you want to start with a warm ochre, shade with an orange, then highlight with cool yellows up to cool light beige.

That's how these helmets were painted:

gallery_60983_8363_147581.jpg

Those look impressive ... I tried out some other techniques last night & still haven't found the magic recipe.

I painted a termie Zandri dust, covered with casandora yellow and then glazed with lamenters Yellow ...

Looks much darker than in this link though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biqPX_uQ6m0

I guess I'll see how it dries when I get back from work.

It's quite discouraging though, I thought the hard part would be the shoulder pads, not the yellow :(

Had a chance to stop by the FLGS last night for about 5-6 hours. Didn't get a game in, so worked on Imperial Knight assembly.

We started talking about BA in the (anti)meta, and me having the positive outlook I do offered alternative suggestions to people struggling against certain play styles and one particular player, in general, that comes into the store.

I also joked about taking a 7 Furioso librarian list, and this one bloke was flabbergasted that we can actually do that.

A full Furioso list is actually something I plan to do eventually...well was. Since then I decided to add at leas 3 Rifle Dreads as well because they are just too nice to not include in a Chapter Ancients formation. :biggrin.:

It still ends up in a list of 3 Rifle Dreads and 6 ML2 Librarian Dreads. All in Pods. I think I gonna paint each of them in a different BA/Successor color scheme. :P

Edited by sfPanzer

Plog = picture blog, like a WIP thread.

Huh. Always thought it stood for painting log (where as a blog is a written log). Don't let it be said that you never learn anything in the B&C!

"Blog" being short for "weBLog". Using that logic, wouldn't it be Glog (paintinGLog)?