Is it just me or do the forums seem quiet of late?

Not just here on Baal but across B&C.

You know I was just thinking that. I noticed for myself I've been less and less interested in checking the Warhammer Community as I normally would. I chalked it up to my lack of interest in these releases outside of BA. I suppose it's my fault for not taming my expectations. Last year when Psychic Awakening was teased, I was anticipating many new models, 40k Endless Spells, and huge narrative pushes. A common mistake I continue to make = /

Now i'm just waiting until Summer for edition 8.5. Hopefully Adepticon will motivate me again with their previews.

Jolemai, I got 8 librarians and a librarian dreadnought primed and ready for ETL, and my airbrush is working now that I got the aperture that fits the detail needle. Was literally writing out goals for prior to ETL the other day while I reorganized my hobby space and projects. Edited by Father Mapple

Yesterday I symbolically got some paint onto (literally) a couple models just to get out of my funk. I've been meaning to/wanting to paint for some time now, but life and/or laziness have gotten in the way. For better and worse I tend to be all or nothing with stuff like painting where I am either on an absolute tear (like during ETL) or I don't do squat for a month straight. Yesterday broke that funk, at least, and I followed-up today with a solid 2hrs.

I have a weird system where I get everything red first via airbrush (assisted by a friend since I do not have space for the airbrush anymore) and then go over and block of absolutely everything that is not going to be red in the final product with Vallejo Black-Grey before then putting the base colors on top of the black-grey. It's a weird system, I know, but at this point there's no turning back. The hidden benefit of doing it that way is that it's very easy to get back into the swing of things just having to paint black; a great warm up and easy to apply to that one model or two that is inspiring me to get out of my funk again. 

I am currently working on:

-Assault Terminators (backlogged since forever)

-Terminator Ancient (backlogged since forever)

-that last few Assault Marines of my IX Legion 20-man Assault blob

-Jump Apothecary for IX Legion

-last of my 5-man Legion Vet squad for my IX Legion

Also fiddling with magnetizing the two squads of multi-part Eliminators so I can swap between Las-fusil and bolt sniper rifles...though the more I think about it, the las interested in Las-fusils I am. Shame, since the whole reason I got the kit was to be able to use them (as opposed to the monopose Eliminators from Shadowspear). Also, is there ever really a point in giving the Sgt a Las-fusil? My mental progressions with them makes me think that the Sgt is there to buff the squad with +1 To Hit/To Wound, and then be the first casualty....so there's no point spending points on him....even for the Instigator Bolt Carbine, b/c if they're getting charged A. you did something wrong B. that's good since that probably sets up your own shabby units to pounce next turn. 

Bad news: I'm scatter-brained and working on a lot of stuff at once

Good news: it means I tend to get huge chunks of things done around the same time

Apologies to the sons of Sanguinius, I won't be participating for the honor of this forum this year. Last year, I was playing a Blood Angels Successor; this year, I'm playing Raven Guard for my Space Marines (including a number of redone models from my previous Marines army), and expect to be playing them for the foreseeable future. Therefore, I'll be participating for the honor of the generic Space Marine forum. However, I wish you the best, and hope you do well in this coming ETL.

I'm motivating myself to painting through the 12 Months Hobby Challenge introduced by Grotsmasha. It helps me go through my half-painted models and I have quite a bunch of them now as I tend to buy second-hand stuff from time to time.

Last year I tried to paint an hour daily, but an hour was never really enough for me. So now it's 2-3 hours just not everyday. Also I'm focusing on 1-2 minis at a time.

Also fiddling with magnetizing the two squads of multi-part Eliminators so I can swap between Las-fusil and bolt sniper rifles...though the more I think about it, the las interested in Las-fusils I am. Shame, since the whole reason I got the kit was to be able to use them (as opposed to the monopose Eliminators from Shadowspear). Also, is there ever really a point in giving the Sgt a Las-fusil? My mental progressions with them makes me think that the Sgt is there to buff the squad with +1 To Hit/To Wound, and then be the first casualty....so there's no point spending points on him....even for the Instigator Bolt Carbine, b/c if they're getting charged A. you did something wrong B. that's good since that probably sets up your own shabby units to pounce next turn. 

I'm coming to similar conclusions regarding the Sergeants loadout.

As for the las-fusils Eliminators, I have an idea appearing occasionally at the back of my head about converting Reivers. I still have a box of those poor fellas still waiting for some proper rules. In theory, I would only have to make them cloaks and obtain/build las-fusil equivalents.

Bought some Infiltrators and Incurssors today. I can't decide If I want them to be BA or not yet. I do know that I'm slowly adding up a strong primaris force.

Me, in order to decide, I design a usable (fun) list, and then start painting.

It's not competitive, but I think it works: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/361587-the-new-ironhelms-2000-pts-twin-primaris-battalion/

I've not been able to hobby due to house move and work.

Once the study is sorted I will be trying to get back into the swing of things.

I do have plans for another gravis captain just for the building fun.

Also, lack of new primaris interesting stuff has meant there is less need to be hyped or discuss stuff.

I've had no time for gaming really so cant contribute much toward rules discussions as I've not had much chance to really use our new ones :(

Got a 2k game in last night. Played against my perennial foe rocking' his Abaddon-led Black Legion. Brought the following fun list:

Hidden Content

Blood Angels dual Battalion 1998pts

15CP

-3CP Armory of Baal

-2CP: Death Visions of Sanguinius x 2

-1CP: Hero of the Chapter

-2CP: Veteran Intercessors

7CP for game time

Blood Angels Battalion

HQ:

Captain in Cataphractii Terminator Armour 

-Thunder Hammer

-Combi-flamer (due to points and model)

-SIW: Master-Crafted

-1CP: Death Visions of Sanguinius

-1CP: Hero of the Chapter: Gift of Foresight

Librarian in Terminator Armour 

-Force Axe

-Storm shield (Legends)

-SIW: Adamantine Mantle

-Warlord: Artisan of War

-1. The Quickening

-2. Wings of Sanguinius

TROOPS:

Scouts x 5

-boltguns x 4

-Sgt bolter + chainsword

Scouts x 5

-combat blade + bolt pistol x 4

-Sgt bolter + chainsword

​Intercessors x 8

-auto bolt rifles

-Sgt auto bolt rifle + thunder hammer

-2CP: Veteran Intercessors

ELITES:

Cataphractii Terminators x 5

-Combi-bolter + power fist x 5

Assault Terminators x 5

-Thunder hammer + storm shield x 5

FLYER:

Stormraven

-Twin assault cannons

-Twin heavy bolters

-Hurricane bolters x 2

Blood Angels Battalion

HQ:

Captain in Phobos Armour

-SIW: Quake Bolts

Captain

-Jump pack

-Twin Lightning Claws

-1CP: Death Visions of Sanguinius

TROOPS:

Scouts x 5

-Sgt bolter + chainsword

Scouts x 5

-Sgt bolter + chainsword

Incursors x 5

-Haywire Mine

ELITES:
​Death Company Dreadnought

-Blood Talons x 2

-Underslung heavy flamer + melta gun

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Eliminators x 3

-las-fusils x 3

Eliminators x 3

-las-fusils x 3

His list (general idea) :

Hidden Content

Abaddon

Dark Apostle + groupies

Sorcerer in Terminator armor

3x10 dual plasma + combi-plasma CSM squads in Rhinos, Mark of Vengeance (so they're all Ld10....)

2x Hellforged Contemptors each with 2x twin autocannons

10x Terminators with chain axes + combo-plasma, Mark of Slaanesh

1x3 Obliterators, Mark of Slaanesh

Quick recap/thoughts:

Hidden Content

1. Firstoff, it always re-charges the soul to play a game "you don't care about." I've been doing some fairly competitive stuff of late, so bringing a list that was deliberately not that crunchy was quite fun and liberating in its own way.

2. My objectives were to test out a couple ideas floating around in my head for some time now, primarily the Smash Libby build and pairing Quake Bolts with things like TH/SS Termies. A lot of the other units like Mongo (by DC Dread) were along for the ride more than any major strategy. I also wanted to get some reps in with las-fusil eliminators to see how good they could be...

3. ...turns out the las-fusil fellas were a great distraction carnifex. Perhaps since the last time my opponent and I played a cut his legs out from other hand early on by sniping out so many characters with the bolt sniper Elims, he targeted absolutely everything against them right off the bad and they went down fairly easily, though they did soak up an intense amount of shooting. I had made a little castle with the Phobos Captain + 2x Elims + Incursors to see how an infiltrating sniper HQ would do while also giving re-rolls and it kinda worked....he was so scared of it T1 that he put absolutely everything he could into it. 

4. I had put the 3x non-photos Characters + a 5man CQC scout squad + Mongo into the SR and popped Prepared Positions. That worked since it made the choice for him, where rather than dumping 2x Hellforged Contemptors worth of auto cannons into the SR he just nuked the Eliminators and Incursors. Win? This is where it gets good...

5. Milking the :censored: out of the +3" disembark move (one of my favorite tricks in 8th), I got Mongo to go 11" into his face and the Libby went 8" + 12" from Wings to be in unfailable charge range from Abaddon. I also managed to get Captain Blender (LC's) in there as well, since he got a 15" disembark move, but Mongo crucially failed to make it into combat with Abaddon or his contemptors. That left the Libby and Blender to take him on on their own. Fear not!  I popped Red Rampage on the Libby to get +2A and then the Quickening gave me another +2A with +1A for the charge for 8A attacks total. I then popped my favorite Stratagem we often don't get to use: Vengeance for Sanguinius, meaning To Hit rolls of 4+ against Black Legion generate an extra attack. I had "marked" Abbadon with the Phobos Capt's Quake Bolts in the shooting turn so that the Libby would be hitting on 2+ against him. I get decent number of exploding dice and manage to get Abbadon down from 9W to 4W. Crucially, I forgot to apply the +1 To Hit to the exploding dice so I would have done even better, and I also forgot that I had put Artisan of War on the Libby's axe. Abaddon reduces damage by half, so it would not have made a huge difference, but the 3D rolls would have counted as 2 instead of 1 which could have done him in. My opponent than splits up his attacks with the claw going on Blender and Drachynen going on the Libby. Luck means Capt Blender only takes 1W after invulns (command re-roll) and FNP. Libby, even with 2+/3++/5+++ simply can't stand up to the weight of all the dice from Drachynen* and exploding 5's for DttFE especially with the number of FNP rolls needed. Libby goes down...

*if you're not familiar with this, Abaddon's player rolls a D6 for his sword: on a 1 he takes a MW, on a 2+ he gets that many bonus attacks. Yea. NASTY. 

6. ...and then I pop Only in Death Does Duty End. Perhaps my second-favorite stratagem, especially combined with the Objective Card that gives us 1VP when one of our characters die :teehee: . My foe attacked the Libby instead of Captain Blender who had not yet fought because he knew I would milk the :censored: out of Honor the Chapter if he didn't...but he did not realize OiDDE was up my sleeve as well. Feels good to be a Chessmaster once in a while <grin> Libby does another 8A at 2+ but only manages to bring Abby down to 2W. My opponent burned a re-roll and such to keep him alive. Darn I didn't kill Abaddon....

7. Oh wait, Captain Blender still gets to fight! 7A at 2+ with re-rollable 4's To Wound is just the sort of math that works in my favor and I bring down that most hate of foes, Abaddon. In Turn 1. 

8. Rest of the game is not very remarkable other than to say that the Cataphractii Captain was just too damn slow to be of any use the entire game...

9. The +1 to Charges was huge in my 2nd Turn as it was the thing that got my TH/SS into combat with his 10man Slaaneshi Terminator bomb that had dropped in and got the Cataphractii into combat with his 2 Contemptors alongside Mongo.

10. I hit his Terminators with the Quake Bolts and Vengeance for Sanguinius before the TH/SS charged in and it made a difference: I lost 3W (so 1 model dead, 1 wounded) to his overcharged plasma Overwatch, but managed to kill 6/10 of his terminators before he swung back. He also had Delights Agonies (5+++) up on them as well, which meant two of his dudes each took 2x hammer swings instead of 1. If he didn't have that and If I hadn't lost that one dude I think I would have easily killed at least 8 of them, possibly wiping the squad. 

11. It was 9-4 him by Turn 3 (that much combat in early turns slows things down quite a bit) and he definitely had the advantage with models left, but he was also itching to go get a beer, so he forfeited and I "won." Huzzah! Outlast the foe! Psychological Warfare! ....it was a fun game and a friend, so neither of us card that much.  I killed his favorite model--Abbadon, who he builds lists around--on Turn 1 so I consider it a "win." :biggrin.:

Applicable feedback:

-Quake Bolts + Thunder hammers or Power fists has MASSIVE potential. On paper I knew they'd be a good combo, but I seriously think--while needing a bit of finesse--this could have a lot of applications, especially if paired with more competitive options like Sang Guard or DC w/ fists or DC/VV w/ TH. I am going to re-jig a list or two to come up with a way to really make this work, but I think there's not a Knight or other big scary thing in the game that can stand up to some of the combos we can pull with this stuff...especially since a Phobos Captain could give you a "free" D:3 before you even swing. 

-As the idea dawned on me, I fell in love with the concept of the Phobos Captain sniping enemy warlords and also giving +1 To Hit for Capt Smash to guarantee some tomato paste on the board. I've only used that build this one game so far, but I can not overstate how much I love the potential of this. Phobos Capt is such an unusual character for a Blood Angels army to take: a shootysneaky HQ? Heresy! ....yet that is precisely what makes him so incredibly nasty. 

-Cataphractii Terminators may have some potential again. DS in Turn 2 so you're pouring out 20+ AP-1 shots in TacDoc, pop Strike of the Archangels for re-rolls, charge in w/ +1" or +2" if chappy near by, then pop Fury of the First for +1 To Hit with power fists popping SotA again (since it's per phase). Competitive? I can't say for sure, but I like how remarkably self-sufficient they can be yet also modular. You bring support chars (Capt, Chaplains, Terminator Ancient, Phobos Capt w/ Quake Bolts) to provide some of the same buffs if you want to save CP, or you can burn CP if you want to save on points. I think there is some real potential here. 

-Unfortunately the Las-fusil Eliminators never got to shoot, so I'll have to keep running them until I can get more data. 

Edited by Indefragable

Captain Slash (twin lighting claws) is pretty decent he can buff shooting nearby early in game, solo small MEQ squads throw his weight in behind units assaulting and generally be a real PITA on the board.  I throw gleaming pinions on him.   Thank you for the batrep.  Need to look at Capt Phobos and quake bolts.  

Captain Slash (twin lighting claws) is pretty decent he can buff shooting nearby early in game, solo small MEQ squads throw his weight in behind units assaulting and generally be a real PITA on the board. I throw gleaming pinions on him. Thank you for the batrep. Need to look at Capt Phobos and quake bolts.

My preferred moniker is “Captain Blender”, but to each his own.

In my opinion and experience, he is one of the best tools in the book since he’s so self sufficient, especially if you give him +1D on the claws. Just don’t get to use him as much as I’d like since Captain Smash tends to be just too hard to pass up.

Hey all!! thanks for the shout out!!! Much appreciated.

I'm based in China but have been in Cape Town, South Africa (home town) since Jan18 - which is why ive been quite! ><; 

I've got a lot of friends back in Beijing - and the situation is fine there according to them - just very quiet with a lot of self imposed and strongly suggested self-quarantine. 

Ah, good to hear Mort. Been waiting to read some of your bat. reps. =)

Any plans on an all BA force now that we have some new tasty rules from PA?

It's the same in Shanghai, where my wifes parents live. Lots of boredom and not many ppl outside. But I guess that is changing now that the extended lunar new year is over.

Ah, good to hear Mort. Been waiting to read some of your bat. reps. =)

Any plans on an all BA force now that we have some new tasty rules from PA?

It's the same in Shanghai, where my wifes parents live. Lots of boredom and not many ppl outside. But I guess that is changing now that the extended lunar new year is over.

I wanted to take the Ravenguard I was toying with for one last run at a really big local GT for one last run before I dive fully back into BA! 

There are a few things Im looking at, but the biggest enemy is me. I'm having difficulty moving away from a solid core that I really like, yet a core that is better with RG :/ 

So, I havent found an optimised list yet.  That being said, im looking to make Reivers a thing!

Hey all!! thanks for the shout out!!! Much appreciated.

I'm based in China but have been in Cape Town, South Africa (home town) since Jan18 - which is why ive been quite! ><; 

I've got a lot of friends back in Beijing - and the situation is fine there according to them - just very quiet with a lot of self imposed and strongly suggested self-quarantine. 

Great to hear you are fine Mort, take good care.