I'm not so sure. Like so many other things it's a time/effort to money calculation. Resin printing is time consuming, messy and even hazardous (fumes and direct contact). You need the space and you have some running costs, too.

GW pumps out nearly perfect kits on a technical side. Everything fits together nicely and you need a hobby knife and some glue. Compare that to find a 3d file, prepare it on you computer for printing, print it, clean it, cure it, cut off the supports (I hate this). Now you are at the same step as cracking open a shiny new box from GW. Well I could go on for some time, but for now and the next time to come a printer is a great addition for enthusiasts, but can't replace GW as a manufacturer.

Forgeworld on the other side...

Edited by Rhavien

I'm not so sure. Like so many other things it's a time/effort to money calculation. Resin printing is time consuming, messy and even hazardous (fumes and direct contact). You need the space and you have some running costs, too.

GW pumps out nearly perfect kits on a technical side. Everything fits together nicely and you need a hobby knife and some glue. Compare that to find a 3d file, prepare it on you computer for printing, print it, clean it, cure it, cut off the supports (I hate this). Now you are at the same step as cracking open a shiny new box from GW. Well I could go on for some time, but for now and the next time to come a printer is a great addition for enthusiasts, but can't replace GW as a manufacturer.

Forgeworld on the other side...

Two years ago today's quality was thought to be impossible.  Two years later all of these will become nonissues.

Two years ago today's quality was thought to be impossible. Two years later all of these will become nonissues.

Two years ago I bought my elegoo mars. The photon was out quite some time at that point. Resin, or SLA printing was invented in 1980 and in commercial use since the 1990s. They are smaller and cheaper today, but the hassle dealing with them are nearly still the same. Quality wasn't an issue for a long time now anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also thinking, that 3d printing has to be considered by the miniature makers at some point, but for the next years it won't be profitable for them to create 3d print optimized alternative versions of their stuff. Miniature collectors are niche and collectors with a 3d printer even more. Also they have to protect their stuff from piracy somehow.

Edited by Rhavien

I've been struggling to find motivation with my 9th Ed BA. I had ordered some bits on eBay to turn Assault intercessors into DC Intercessors, just for the hobby thrill....and ended up getting refunded since the bits never showed up. That was the nail in the coffin for me. 

I should love 9th Ed, but it's the weakest edition that I've played and I'm having trouble putting a finger on why, especially given that melee is more viable than ever. It just feels.......weighted? to me. Heavy? Restrictive? Like you're moving underwater? Like the simplicity of 8th Ed is somewhat there, but then there's all these new arbitrary rules in 9th that restrict you from playing intuitively. And the points adjustments are not fun, IMO. Too restrictive. I get that it's geared towards the competitive scene to make this quicker, but it just feels limiting, like you're always lacking another 2 units you wanted to bring to make your army feel complete. Speaking of competitive, every single person I know who plays right now, outside of the occasional 500-1500pt "have a new army just want to test them out" games, it's all 2000pt games. Previous editions felt like there were far more 1500pt-3000pt games, but 9th (in my slice of the world) is almost exclusively 2000pt only games. I also feel like BA have lost some flavor with our Strats and such. It's a shame, because I really like the Crusade system and some of the Relics in there, but with COVID restrictions and so forth no one in my area is ready to get a Crusade off the ground and I've lost the motivation (see the other points here) to do a "one sided" Crusade system on my own. 

Anyways, that's just me, talking out why I just can't seem to get into it for some reason. 

I'm pretty whole-hog into 30k/Heresy right now, on the other hand. Pumped to be making progress finishing painting my IX Legion. 

I'm the opposite, I thought 8E was awful. I've had a blast with everything I've done in 9E so far. I've been mostly playing 1-1.5k games.

I'm also getting big into HH right now, but I don't have a IX legion force for that. I think we're going to start a crew at the local GW store for that when they start opening the tables up, our local store manager is real excited to see people want to do that. If the recent rumors of a starter set are real, then that'll be even better.

Today I tried to buy a Deathwatch kill team squad and found out its no longer available on the GW website!

That said, how would you incorporate a deathwatch kill team into a BA force strictly from a lore point of view? I have two different ideas.

1) first one is to build them as a sternguard squad, all of them marines who served in the deathwatch at some point. I already have a couple of DW veterans in my army anyway so they'll manage to blend in.

2) the other idea is to build them as a regular DW kill team, a kill team of BA and successors sent by the DW home during the Devastation of Baal. Somehow it feels fitting that these marines got a special permission from their watch captain to return to Baal.

All that said, I cant do anything if I dont get my hands on a kill team box. I tried the local retailers but all of them were out of stock. 

Today I tried to buy a Deathwatch kill team squad and found out its no longer available on the GW website!

They may be getting a repackaging. Weird tha tthe basic faction unit is out of stock.

That said, how would you incorporate a deathwatch kill team into a BA force strictly from a lore point of view? I have two different ideas.

1) first one is to build them as a sternguard squad, all of them marines who served in the deathwatch at some point. I already have a couple of DW veterans in my army anyway so they'll manage to blend in.

This is what I'll be doing with my DW models from the Deathmasque boxed set. All painted in BA colours, but with DW pads, as if the returning veterans had been grouped into a spec-ops unit.

2) the other idea is to build them as a regular DW kill team, a kill team of BA and successors sent by the DW home during the Devastation of Baal. Somehow it feels fitting that these marines got a special permission from their watch captain to return to Baal.

Also a cool idea!

All that said, I cant do anything if I dont get my hands on a kill team box. I tried the local retailers but all of them were out of stock. 

Where are you based? Dark Sphere has some, still. You can always just combine the DW upgrade sprue with other kits. 

Not just out of stock, like GW webside gives you an error if you try to open that. But yea talked with my local retailer and he said its probably a repackaging, so there's that.

Im from Greece, there only 2 retailers here, one sells on a discount the other doesnt. I just found out the second one has it available so I'll probably grab one before the price goes up if the discount one doesnt manage to get hold of one for me. I want to actual box cause I want all the spare parts it comes with ^^.

I had done the Sternguard-as-all-dudes-who-rotated-through-Deathwatch idea for my own dudes back in the day, but ended up trading the assembled (but not even primed) models since I used them in a friendly game once ever. But that's just me sine Sternguard don't really jive with how I like to run my Boys from Baal. 

Continuing the deathwatch discussion, is there somewhere I can find successor chapters shoulderpads? I know shapeways are doing some of them but I was wondering if there is someone who's making specific pads on request. I dont want to buy 3x10 pads for my project :)

An advice needed from the fraters:
My Pariah Nexus boxes have arrived and I started building my first Heavy Intercessor squad. I want o give the sarge a bit of a presence and decided to give it a melee weapon for the looks' sake. What do you think would be best for a Blood Angel Heavy Intercesor? A chainsword? An axe? Something else?
I don't want a TH or PF as I think that would take it a bit too far.

An advice needed from the fraters:

My Pariah Nexus boxes have arrived and I started building my first Heavy Intercessor squad. I want o give the sarge a bit of a presence and decided to give it a melee weapon for the looks' sake. What do you think would be best for a Blood Angel Heavy Intercesor? A chainsword? An axe? Something else?

I don't want a TH or PF as I think that would take it a bit too far.

Power Swords are, to me, the BA weapon. Elegant, beautiful, and deadly. Also are the easiest to say are just fancy chainswords if you don't have the pts.

In my news, almost finished painting a Leviathan dread. Really wish I had painted the metal internals before I painted the red though. Lesson learned.

Edit: he is complete, huzzah

Edited by The Unseen