Played a kitchen table game against my friend's Admech, neither of us play "tournament" lists but we are both competitive.  He plays fighty Admech and I play primaris only for my BA.  I took a list I was hoping he would be able to have fun against, sort of a thematic list that I think feels cool. 

2 Impulsors with death company charging forward with a gladiator reaper leading the spearhead.

3 regular Intercessors with sgt power fists/assault

2 hellblasters assault

Phobos Captain and Techmarine

2 Redemptor plasma

The main takeaways from new Admech for me were, lascannon chickens are not nice d3+3 hurts, 2 of them one shot the gladiator, then did work on the impulsors forcing me to dump the DC a turn before I really wanted to (took the missile launchers, they are terrible for me, but I wanted to try one more time).  Ruststalkers/Infiltrators are cool, have a stupid amount of attacks.  The new base gun for the vanguard/rangers are good.  The real problem for him was the 2 Redemptors, since 9th they have hands down been the reason I have crushed my buddy and we have taken a break on 40k till this week with his new book.

We probably messed up some of the new Admech rules, there are a lot of them, they have a lot of utility, but for kitchen tablehammer they were still not really scary.  Of course this is a hot take from one game against my regular opponent, not any kind of in depth analysis of the new book.  To be fair to Admech, he didn't bring any of his half tank guys, he wanted to play a skitarii horde, and marines are just hard to get off the board.  Him getting +1 charge and +1 to wound is as good for him as it is for us.

The tech marine and the 2 dreads walked up the left side of the board and erased things, they had 1 hellblaster and 1 intercessor squad around them for backup.  At the end of turn 3 after the red redemptor killed his last two melee chickens after they did about 3 damage to him, he withdrew.  The punchy 50s robots were ineffective as usual, they generally die in the middle of the field having accomplished little.  The gladiator reaper... what to do with this thing... it feels fun and it did wipe his unit of robo horse guys turn one, but like all of our armor it died just as quickly, if I didn't get first turn I'm sure it would have died where it was deployed.  

If we play 40k again this Friday I'm sure he will do better, rules wise and tactics wise.  If the lascannon chickens were pointed at the dreads it probably would have been a more competitive game, we had a large ruin in the middle of the board and he moved south around it to kill the gladiator, and they were out of position to shoot the dreads until probably his turn 4 if we would have kept playing, but at that point they had 3 intercessors and 4 hellblasters ready to work on them.

I have still yet to get my techmarine into combat, he may need to ride in an impulsor next game.

My urbanmatz ruins set came about two hours after we finished playing, and it is glorious.

end ramble.  

interesting bat rep... Methinks i need to gen up on necrons as i just sold a load of them still on sprues to a frequent opponent. I know you gave your thoughts on your own army but what comment woudl you make about their units?

interesting bat rep... Methinks i need to gen up on necrons as i just sold a load of them still on sprues to a frequent opponent. I know you gave your thoughts on your own army but what comment woudl you make about their units?

This is my third game against Dave since lockdown ended here and each game he has brought something different and done a little better. First time was silver tide, the second was monster mash. This time round he went for a very Elite Heavy army.

Immortals seems very good in 9th edition and probably worth the upgrade points over warriors. +1T, +1 save and a much better gun make for a decently durable unit. The dilemma is getting them close to double tap those Gauss blasters or play them more conservatively at long range.

Lockhust Destroyers are just scary. I had to adjust my whole battle plan to try and account for them. They are one of the best firepower units in the Necron codex IMHO and are less swingy than Doomstalkers or Doomsday Arks.

Triach Praetorians were hard to judge as I killed them too quickly. They look like a bit of a glass hammer with no Invulnerable save. I would be tempted to replace these with Canoptek Wraiths as they also hit pretty hard, are fast and pack a 4++.

The C'tan shard was downright scary and required the combined efforts of The Sanguinary Priest, Sanguinary Guard, Attack bikes and Inquisitor to deal with. Granted I could have helped myself if I knew to start dropping Whirlwind missiles on it from T1. Personally I think the Nightbringer is better than the Deceiver so I am glad Dave didn't opt to bring him. The Deceiver's "Grand Illusion" ability is less powerful against BAs as we usually have the speed to adapt and redeploy.

The big blob of Deathmarks was unexpected and intimidating and made it very hard for my Characters to keep their heads down. Overall I was lucky that the Priest survived to T3. Had he gone down earlier I would have struggled. Having said that, I do wonder if their firepower would actually have been more productive just thinning down my units.

Ultimately, both of Dave's most powerful squads dies because they were caught out by their opposite number. Had the Praetorians charged my Sanguinary Guard or the Destroyers fired on the Inceptors, I think the battle would have gone very differently.

From experience playing both BA and Necrons, I would say the Angels have the advantage over them in most situations. Necrons are in the slow and durable camp like DG, but unlike DG they don't have the nasty stuff that counters melee. They do have some very nasty melee units of their own, and they have good counters for hordes, but against a fast elite army like BA it is hard for them to keep the initiative.

Any 'Cron player with his head screwed on properly will VoD ten Immortals and a Royal Warden in to rapid-fire right where you want them the least. Lokhusts are fantastic but suffered a needless nerf this edition, so you won't be seeing vast fleets of them often any more, but still devestating. I still haven't had a chance to try out the Skorpekh murder-bots yet, but I think running them in a custom dynasty for the rad-wreathed trait (similar to Skitarii -1T aura) and the automatic +6" ignore terrain advance will be tasty.

Oh and deathmarks have always been disappointing, very much a paper tiger of a unit.

This week I won my ongoing Tourney with my Angels, triumphing over a Death Guard armoured force. Battle Report Here.

Only a 10 person tourney, but a win is a win!

Minimum sized boards favoured my assault army, but I went with a successor using Whirlwind and Fall back+charge tactics, and think they were superior. The +1" to charge never came up during the whole tourney, and I barely advance as you can't charge. Most of my melee weapons are +1S, reroll wounds or S8 so the +1 would have helped, but extra hits on 6's from Whirlwind was a game changer - especially with claws as you get more base attacks and reroll al those wounds. 

I went with a successor using Whirlwind and Fall back+charge tactics, and think they were superior. The +1" to charge never came up during the whole tourney, and I barely advance as you can't charge. Most of my melee weapons are +1S, reroll wounds or S8 so the +1 would have helped, but extra hits on 6's from Whirlwind was a game changer - especially with claws as you get more base attacks and reroll al those wounds.

Do you find it worth the loss of access to BA-specific Relics? I know you can buy 1 for a CP. What are your thoughts on this?

Do you find it worth the loss of access to BA-specific Relics? I know you can buy 1 for a CP. What are your thoughts on this?

Not with the army I made - it was a 1000 pt tourney and I only had one character, a Priest who got Teeth of Terra and Arty armour through angel exemplar. The only ones of real interest to me are Visage of Death, Icon of the Angel and maybe wrath of baal, however Honoured by the Arx Angellicum exists, and so do CP rerolls!

I'd probably pick a lot of other relics first, like Angels Artifice, Benediction, Vox Espiritum, Teeth, Adamantine mantle, etc. 

Edited by Xenith

I’ve been quiet on here. I’ve switched 100% to 30k and working on finishing off my IX Legion.

I also started VII Legion for 30k…which is at once both helping and hurting the above.

Good news: I managed to get like 1500pts of models for 30k IF by cannabalizing models I wasn’t using, so I didn’t really spend any money so far

Bad news: …I had 1500pts of models I wasn’t using in any way…

IXth Legion models are still BAs, so feel free to post them on here :)

Personally, I double up and use my collection in both - it helps that we had Mk VII during the Battle of Terra.

I did some painting for the first time in forever on the weekend, made solid progress on a stormspeeder!

Also sorted a sword on one of my (many) lieutenants.

Still trying to find blood angel tactical squad power swords and HH praetor swords, but nowhere has any available which is most irksome

Just got my first box of Heavy Intercessors. still waiting on the second one. Plan to get these models at east built by the end of the coming weekend.

Nice, I have been very pleased wit the performance of mine so far. What loadout are you planning?

Just got my first box of Heavy Intercessors. still waiting on the second one. Plan to get these models at east built by the end of the coming weekend.

Nice, I have been very pleased wit the performance of mine so far. What loadout are you planning?

This box, all Hellstorm bolters and a Hellstorm heavy bolter. I'm actually surprised that they didn't get a rapid fire 2 Heavy bolt rifle. Which I would probably have picked I'm not sure I like the heavy weapons much over all as it seems counter productive. I need to look a little more into it but will probably just stick with all the assault weapons for the tactical doctrine advantage.