Tzen's Ultramarines WIP blog!

Tzen

So I have a new camera.

http://www.golden-throne.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/RGBW.jpg

My old camera basically would not do white photos. Any white background pic I had was basically just a heavily edited normal pic! :D

So I am learning a lot about taking pictures on white backgrounds and I am not sure which I prefer. White or black backgrounds. 

Slowly working my way through him. I've had an issue with my eyes over the last few days. They wont stop watering so it makes focusing on anything a pain in the backside. 

Slowly working my way through him. I've had an issue with my eyes over the last few days. They wont stop watering so it makes focusing on anything a pain in the backside. 

Did your woman leave you or do you have conjunctivitis?

I have to be honest. This isn't going well.

http://www.golden-throne.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/rbg2.1.jpg

Not sure my heart is really in the project. The blue on his chest is a mess so far, also I just can't get happy with the gold filigree on his armour. I'll keep going and get him done, it could be that I am trying to paint after a days work and I'm tired. 

Mate, you are your own worst critic! I know how you feel, I'm looking at stuff I've done before and tempted to strip them all down!!

The gold is spot on everywhere else, as is the blue. The actual blue on the chest isn't really a focal point, so no one is likely to see the issue you have. I'm confident the gold on the chest will work out fine! If you don't already use the gloss washes, gloss varnish the model then pinwash with earth shade gloss, it hides a multitude of sins!! Then revarnish to lose the shine.

The head is still way above the official model paintjob!! So focus on the positives that way outshine the minor negative!! Take a break from him and come back refreshed, it'll change your perspective on the paintjob I'm sure!!

So, I slept on this last night. And I realise what it is that's bugging me. 

http://www.golden-throne.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/rbg2.3.jpg

I should have painted the blue in a way that's consistent with the model and it's scale. I should have done highlights in the same way I did Magnus' muscles. Built them up where the light would hit the top of the pecs and abs. Instead I have (stupidly) tried to edge highlight the blue as I would a normal Ultramarine and it simply doesn't work. The gold I have done looks fine, it's the crappy blue underneath making it look scruffy. Sure it needs to be tidied up in places on the chest where I have been trying to fix the blue, but everywhere else it's okay. 

I can't go back now. The chest is done and I aint stripping him. I am just going to have to hope that when the arms and the rest is on him no one will notice. The best I can do is try to add some definition with some glazes. I cannot believe I have made such a school boy error. :(

Yeah, sometimes you need a sounding board :) It's your thread so if it helps, go for it! We'll just sit back and look at the pretty pictures. :)

Gotta say, he's looking pretty good (especially the face) but I'm more looking forward to seeing what you do with Cypher.

Edited by Corswain

Yes, I think I agree with your analysis of the highlighting style on the blue. To be fair though, he's such a busy model, that I don't blame you for trying to paint him like a regular 28mm technique-wise.

There's also nothing wrong with being objectively critical; it's how you identify what went well, and what didn't, what works, what , and hopefully learn the lessons for the betterment of the next model. Improvement always comes faster if you can be objectively critical than it does when you rely on pure practice to get better.

I still think your Guilliman looks very good nonetheless, and I hope that the satisfaction of completing him softens any feelings that you could/should have done some things differently. :)

Thanks Gilbear, he's nearly done now. I think the truth is I should have painted Cypher first. I have been so excited about painting him I have let Guilliman down. 

Ah well.

http://www.golden-throne.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/rbg33.jpg

Sword arm to do then I will spend some decent time on the firey sword! :D

While self-criticism may be productive, with all due respect I believe it's completely unjustified in this case. The model looks great, and it's up to your usual awesome standard. I did hard highlights on Guilliman's blue armour as well and he turned out ok, so don't beat yourself too much over this. ;)

Great progress and can't wait to see him completed. :)

Thanks man. I do understand that I whine a lot in this thread, but hey ho. I don't think he looks bad. I just know I could do better! :D

He's nearly finished.

Just working on his sword.

http://www.golden-throne.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/rbg34.jpg

Trying to go for a slightly darker flame to off set the bright white on the shoulder pads on the Ultramarine logo on the other Pauldron.

Still need to do the final highlights, but waiting to do the other side of the sword before I do.