If you're putting Phoenix terms and fulgrim in the kharybdis you'll have to drop a terminator

9 Terminators + Fulgrim (bulky) = 20 Slots. He's all good.

I am building a HH EC list and I was wondering if anyone can give me some feedback as to it's effectiveness on the table top. I am a little rusty with the game, have not played 7th and only played some 10 games or so at the start of 6th using CSM.

Currently my HH army is limited to the models I own when I made some purchases to use as CSM during the early days of 6th. I am in no way limiting my list to these models. Part of building a list with your help is so that I can make some purchases in the near future and have a HH EC army.

Models I own:

Betrayal at Calth

10 Mk3 marines

2 Contemptor Dreads all with CCW with in built bolters and 2 Kheres Assault Cannons

1 Deredeo

5 Palatine Blades

FW Boarding Marine

From my 40k collection I have access to more rhinos than I can remember, 4 predators all magnetised, 3 vinidicators, 3 landraiders and surplus predator turrets for me to create some of the newer(older?) predator variants such as the plasma pred for example.

List 1: Pride of the Legion 2K

HQ:

Legion Consul Delegatus - refractor field, lucid blade

ELITES:

Contemptor, CCW and DDP

TROOPS:

5 Terminators - 2 chainfists, 1 Lightning Claws, Phoenix Spear and Grenade Harness, Anvillus Drop Pod

5 Terminators - 2 chainfists, 1 Lightning Claws, Phoenix Spear and Grenade Harness, Anvillus Drop Pod

5 Vets - H.Bolter, Artificer Armor and Phoenix Spear

FAST:

Anvillus Drop Pod for Delegatus and Vets

HEAVY:

Leviathan - ceramite, Grav and Claws with DDP

Leviathan - ceramite, StormCannon and Claws with DDP

*10pts left to spend I think.

List 2: Maru Skara 2K

HQ:

ELITES:

Contemptor, CCW and DDP

TROOPS:

10 Tacticals - Artificer Armor and Phoenix Spear

FAST:

Anvillus Drop Pod for Tacs

HEAVY:

The Dreads will form the first half of the Drop Pod Assault, while the 3 Anvillus will be arriving on T2 due to Maru Skara. In this list there's 200 pts left to boost spend on bling such as Gravguns for the Contemptor, Phosphex on Leviathans, or maybe another Consul. 

With both lists, I realise I am pushing it with 2 Leviathans at 2K but I do like the models and thought I'd push it now and get some feedback before scaling back. I have a distinct liking for dreads and in my first list, the Tartaros terminators look like mini contemptors so...

Lucid Blade on my HQ is to deny enemy HQ powerhouses a kill if I can't avoid them.

So... I read the 7th Ed rules after making the above post, and I came across the rules for disembarking. To paraphrase, the vehicle can only move 6" before the troops disembark for a charge. Isn't that a bit limited? It used to be a 12" move disembark within 2" of Access Point and a charge move.

What am I missing? Flying transports don't seem that good being limited to a 6" move during the turn the squad wishes to disembark, because the flyer pays premium points for it's Flyer status.

So... I read the 7th Ed rules after making the above post, and I came across the rules for disembarking. To paraphrase, the vehicle can only move 6" before the troops disembark for a charge. Isn't that a bit limited? It used to be a 12" move disembark within 2" of Access Point and a charge move.

What am I missing? Flying transports don't seem that good being limited to a 6" move during the turn the squad wishes to disembark, because the flyer pays premium points for it's Flyer status.

For one, you cant charge the turn you arrive from Reserves or Deepstrike meaning you're getting a turn of full movement for a Flyer before they can do the Disembark -> Charge Maneuver.

Which means you can, on the turn the vehicle arrives: Move Maximum -> Flat Out. Next Turn, Move 6" Disembark 6" Charge 2D6"

Its why the Dreadclaw Drop Pod is as popular as it is for Assault Units.

For a Tank that means T1, Move 12" -> Flat Out. T2 Move 6" Disembark 6" Charge 2D6" (average of 7").

If thats not enough Distance for you, well, I dont know what to say.

Edited by Slipstreams

It isn't the T1 move I am concerned about. It's the T2 move being limited to 6" despite being a flyer. This means that in T2, it is no better than a regular ground based transport.

To put it another way, at the end of my T1, my Anvillus is within charge distance of what I plan to charge in T2, but is likewise within the enemy's charge distance. See what I am getting at?

It isn't the T1 move I am concerned about. It's the T2 move being limited to 6" despite being a flyer. This means that in T2, it is no better than a regular ground based transport.

To put it another way, at the end of my T1, my Anvillus is within charge distance of what I plan to charge in T2, but is likewise within the enemy's charge distance. See what I am getting at?

Yes, but if you keep it zooming and not skimming, they can only make snapshots at it, and they can't charge a flyer in zooming mode.

I use the Dreadclaw all the time (my list has a Dreadclaw for Eidolon + palatines and a storm eagle for Fulgrim + Phoenix Guard).

I love using flyers for assault vehicle, they are much more maneuverable than land vehicles.

You are right, T2 they become nearly as good as a land vehicle. But don't underestimate the fact that it's still flying. Being able to move the 6" over other units, can be essential in making sure you make the charge. 

Also, flyers have a surprise factor in the fact that the opponent can't really prepare for it. A spartan is deployed, and they enemy can start making sure the unit you want to charge, won't get close to the spartan anytime soon. A flyer either deepstrikes right next to your target, or comes on the board.. goes flat out and ends its move next to it's target. This has insured a T2 charge into the target I wanted 99% of the time. Where I manage to avoid the passengers of my opponents spartans till T4 or T5 most of the time. Huge difference.

To be fair though, I don't move zooming with my assault flyers that often, because I don't want to risk losing the passengers due to crash and burn. But then you still have jink that make them quite resilient. And hover - flat-out still gives you a lot of movement.

Edited by MorgothNL

T1, Anvilus Drops in in Hover Mode. You then Flat Out ~18" in any direction. Since you can Pre-measure in Warhammer you put yourself ever-so-slightly outside of charge range.

T2, Move 6", Disembark 6" then Charge 2D6" for a potential total movement of ~20(+)"

Since the Dreadclaw is an Av12/12/12 Flyer, not many assault units can damage it and since the Dreadclaw has mobility on its side, you can easily make it a pain for your enemy to shoot at, it can Jink after all. And if they do charge and pop the Dreadclaw, well, you're still charging them on your turn anyways. Win/win.

It's always been 6" if your coming out, since 6th ed.

And you really want to take the lucid blade? The worst relic in the book for a particular legion?

I cringe every time someone mentions it

I don't use the Lucid blade anymore, cause I don't have a character to put it with (since I'm already always running both Eidolon and Fulgrim in my lists). 

But before Fulgrim joined the party, I was always running Maru Skara and gave the champion the Lucid blade. It makes for a very good tank when you put him in Eidolons group. Too often has Eidolon been insta-killed due to a bad roll. It's a shame to use the stats of the champion for tanking, but that doesn't really matter when his squad buddies are Eidolon and 8 Palatines. 

I think it's ideal for taking on the challenge vs thunder hammer sergeants. So Eidolon can just smash a bunch of squad members and the return damage of thunder hammers etc will be lessened. Making sure you win the combat by a lot and can sweep :smile.:. (though 40pts is way too expensive! 25 would have been a better number)

Edited by MorgothNL

I am building a HH EC list and I was wondering if anyone can give me some feedback as to it's effectiveness on the table top. I am a little rusty with the game, have not played 7th and only played some 10 games or so at the start of 6th using CSM.

Currently my HH army is limited to the models I own when I made some purchases to use as CSM during the early days of 6th. I am in no way limiting my list to these models. Part of building a list with your help is so that I can make some purchases in the near future and have a HH EC army.

Models I own:

Betrayal at Calth

10 Mk3 marines

2 Contemptor Dreads all with CCW with in built bolters and 2 Kheres Assault Cannons

1 Deredeo

5 Palatine Blades

FW Boarding Marine

From my 40k collection I have access to more rhinos than I can remember, 4 predators all magnetised, 3 vinidicators, 3 landraiders and surplus predator turrets for me to create some of the newer(older?) predator variants such as the plasma pred for example.

List 1: Pride of the Legion 2K

HQ:

ELITES:

Contemptor, CCW and DDP

TROOPS:

FAST:

HEAVY:

*10pts left to spend I think.

When I look at this list, there's a couple of things I notice that would bother me if I was to run it on the table. The first one is that you've chosen a Delegatus as your main HQ and he is poorly equipped considering how good the chances are he'll end up in a challenge. The recent FAQ has made Relics equipment that you have to get your opponent's permission to use, but aside from that a Lucid Blade doesn't make much sense on a Consul as opposed to a Praetor - you have more attacks, and the potential to pair it with a Paragon Blade to increase your combat viability. A Delegatus makes sense in a smaller army (say 1500 points and lower) to unlock a Rite of War or have better chances at getting the Warlord Trait that you want. As it stands, this unit with the Veterans will likely get pummelled and then break and run while your Delegatus does no damage (even if he himself survives).

There are six Drop Pods here of various types - this means that 3 of them will arrive on the first turn. Which ones are you dropping in? Be aware that legion armies have some vicious anti-vehicle options especially if your opponent starts his entire army on the board so you'll have to be smart about where and what units you land. Anvillus & Lucius Pods are also quite a bit more expensive then normal Pods which reduces your model count - if you are a fan of Dreadnaughts wouldn't it be better to run a Maru Skara list that features them Outflanking on Turn 2? Its a more firepower based approach, but its a strong trick that Emperor's Children can pull.

I would strongly consider bulking up your Troops selections as your scoring presence seems weak (remember in most legion missions only Troops and Implacable Advance units score). Perhaps adding some more Veterans? You could convert your Contemptor into a Mortis for anti-air cover and use the saved points (since you don't need a DDP anymore) to do this. This would also give you an odd number of Drop Pods (5) allowing you to get the most out of the rule.

Examining this list its not readily apparent why you've chosen Emperor's Children as your legion. There are a few Power Spears on Characters and the Lucid Blade, but as heretical as it sounds this list might be done better as World Eaters, Iron Warriors, or Iron Hands. As World Eaters you could give your infantry Rage and Cadere Weapons, and Iron Warriors could use Golg to get Terminators as Troops without a Rite of War.

Edited by Caustic63

Boarding Shield and Lucid Blade was immense. Defensive grenade and gain a 2++ for the cost of 2 attacks? On a Praetor with Digi weapons that was 3 AP3 attacks, which sure, wasn't brilliant, but when put with a lethal CC unit like Veterans or Command Squad, or even Terminators for 165pts it made its own points back in stopping the enemy killing your models. It wasn't a Paragon Blade, but non of the weapons were, but the difference was that unlike the others, the Lucid Blade did something that the Burning Claws or Mancatcher didn't which it gave defensove buffs too. The photonic blade was a rarity, because it was a strict upgrade, but not to the level IMHO that it was worth a full 25pts extra than a Paragon Blade.

Been a while since i've discussed maru skara. But don"t you need a Legion Champion to run Marau Skara?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The reason I went with a Delegatus was to keep the HQ point low to try and fit in 2 Leviathans at 2K. I didn't pick a Delegatus to have a combat HQ, merely a cheap alternative to unlock Rites. And the Lucid blade was to tank in case I end up in combat which I don't want my Delegatus to be in. 

I've always been an EC player from the days of CSM, so it is my go to legion.

Yes, a Maru Skara list needs a Champion, which I forgot about, but in my second list there's 200 pts left over which could be used for him.

How do you guys equip a Delegatus? Given that I only want him to unlock Rites and not necessarily to be a combat oriented monster.

I'm going to make another list when I get back from work.

List 2: Maru Skara 2K

HQ:

ELITES:

Contemptor, CCW and DDP

TROOPS:

FAST:

HEAVY:

The Dreads will form the first half of the Drop Pod Assault, while the 3 Anvillus will be arriving on T2 due to Maru Skara. In this list there's 200 pts left to boost spend on bling such as Gravguns for the Contemptor, Phosphex on Leviathans, or maybe another Consul. 

With both lists, I realise I am pushing it with 2 Leviathans at 2K but I do like the models and thought I'd push it now and get some feedback before scaling back. I have a distinct liking for dreads and in my first list, the Tartaros terminators look like mini contemptors so...

Lucid Blade on my HQ is to deny enemy HQ powerhouses a kill if I can't avoid them.

Without repeating the points I made on the previous list, this army isn't legal because you don't have a Legion Champion as your second compulsory HQ. There's also the issue that Dreadnaught Drop Pods have the "Immobile" rule which means they cannot be taken in a Maru Skara list. Aside from these technicalities, I don't think Dreadclaws are the best way to make use of the Rite of War's benefits because they can't Outflank, and unless you take a lot of them (which gets prohibitively expensive in both points and $$$) their inbuilt Drop Pod Assault rule is better. Retool the list and we'll take another look at it.

Boarding Shield and Lucid Blade was immense. Defensive grenade and gain a 2++ for the cost of 2 attacks? On a Praetor with Digi weapons that was 3 AP3 attacks, which sure, wasn't brilliant, but when put with a lethal CC unit like Veterans or Command Squad, or even Terminators for 165pts it made its own points back in stopping the enemy killing your models. It wasn't a Paragon Blade, but non of the weapons were, but the difference was that unlike the others, the Lucid Blade did something that the Burning Claws or Mancatcher didn't which it gave defensove buffs too. The photonic blade was a rarity, because it was a strict upgrade, but not to the level IMHO that it was worth a full 25pts extra than a Paragon Blade.

Been a while since i've discussed maru skara. But don"t you need a Legion Champion to run Marau Skara?

Honestly, I wonder if it should be used just to troll an enemy character and block nearly all their attacks with a 2++ so that your power fist/Phoenix spear tartaros terminators can squish everyone else. Then you can just sweep the enemy unit without ever having to technically kill the enemy praetor :devil:

So IC w/boarding shield/AA/Lucid blade/extras

+ 5-10 Phoenix Gaurd/ power fist tartaros terminators

Maybe throw in an extra Primus Medicae if you need to last through the attacks that slide through, but he's honestly just icing on the cake if this unit. Just roadblock the enemy character, and then obliterate them with your terminators, and then sweep the Praetor/survivors.

Plus you can make use of the crusader rule for the sweep and/or PG +1 to combat resolution.

Are you kidding? That sword is terribly good, many of my men have died under its edge.

I can see the possibility of why you'd use it, but not sure if tactically it makes sense.

You'd think that given ec characters are forced to challenge, it would maybe have something to help them win it (being initiative and speed based) maybe parry an incoming blow or something I don't know. I have gone on about the :cussblade before so won't again.

If the cc units were tough enough to take them out then yes perhaps, but for the price of a champ, upgrades and blade, why not just take eidolon?

He is the go to character for ec.

In fact I practically play a legion army with eidolon, (he's the only ec thing I use tbh) so I'm probably hampered by the rules more than helped.

I have had great results with it too,

For the guys army, it's about2k? Waaay under points value for maru skara effectively. If we had the option of a chaplain instead of the overpriced chumpion then yeah maybe.

I'm looking forward to new rules and row, I literally am so excited that we may be useful again!

Edited by Slipstreams
DO NOT DODGE THE SWEAR FILTER! >:|

I re worked the list a bit. There's not enough points for all the fun stuff at 2K...

HQ:

Centurion - AA, Phoenix Spear, Refractor, Combi-Bolter, Meltabombs

ELITES:

Contemptor - Kheres x 2

Dread - CCW x 2, Grav x2, DDP

Dread - CCW x 2, Grav x2, DDP

Vet(5) - AA, Phoenix Spear, Meltabombs, Rhino

TROOPS:

Tacticals - AA, Phoenix Spear, Meltabombs, Rhino

Tacticals - AA, Phoenix Spear, Meltabombs, Rhino

HEAVY:

Leviathan -Ceramite, Grav, Claw, DDP

Deredeo - Missile

20pts left over, could upgrade the Leviathan with Phosphex or give one of the dreads Ceramite or something else. I tried to fit in a Palatine Blade squad but my bare bones HQ would get obliterated when running with them... 

What do people think? What should I change?

Thanks!

Is there any reason why you're sticking to 2k? thats barely above the recommended minimum of 1750 for 30k Games; the majority I see around here is 2.5k while I personally play at 3k+ On average. If thats what your area is comfortable playing at then no big deal.

The Main Problem I see you having is that you're taking too many points-dense units; some of them with Overlapping Jobs.

Ex: Contemptor with Dual Kheres vs Deredeo.

Assuming the Contemptor isn't a Mortis, why even have him there? He has 24" Shooting and, while its a ton of shots, the range and his lack of mobility means that he's probably not going to be effective before Turn 2.

Whereas the Deredeo with his 60" Missiles and 48" Autocannons, he can be effective Immediately and threaten a wide range of targets, even being able to engage two different targets.

In this scenario I'd rather you bench the Contemptor and flesh out your other units that would need it more notably the Tac Vet Squad who, as they are right now, are literally not going to be doing anything for you especially since you forgot to list what Vet Tactic Rule they'd be taking making it a bit harder for me to see what you'd possibly be using them for.

If they're going to be a CC Unit: Why a Rhino? Taking one as a Transport actively hamstrings them in their ability to effectively function as a CC unit by denying them Disembark -> Charge. This goes the same for a Meltabomb & Tank Hunter Unit.

Shooty Unit: 5 Sniper Bolters? Not enough weight of fire to actually be an effective shooting unit. And with a Chaplain attached? I dont think you actually want them to sit on their bums and squander his Buffs when a Vigilator would work better since he'd mesh with such a squad.

Outflank? 6 Bodies dont really have that much staying Power with or without a Rhino to camp backfield objectives nor can they make good use of the  fortuitous positioning due to not having anything to do so IE a Missile Launcher for Rear Armor Shots.

+++

Graviton Dreads:

If you're so Strapped for Points, have you taken a look at Land Speeder Squadrons with Graviton Guns? Platform is more fragile but you can get the same amount or even more shots for Cheaper possibly since they are 10 Meltabombs Base + 3 Meltabombs for Graviton Guns each, the cost of a DDP.

Even Javelin Speeders can dish out 5 S8 shots each for roughly the same cost on a slightly-more-durable platform.

+++

This might sound a bit mean but I'd honestly suggest to go back through LA:CAL and properly look at the entries. Something might Strike your Fancy.

Not mean at all Slipstream it's why I am posting here... for feedback.

2k because this is my first army after a ~3 year absence. I figured it's a decent size to build towards for starters.

The Centurion isn't a chaplain.it's just a bare bones centurion. The vet squad is going sniper and to baby sit the HQ because I couldn't attach my HQ to the tacticals due to the rhino limit. And I thought the vets can hang near the tacts to lend their weight whenever possible in and around objectives.

I went with legion dreads because I already have the models. Ditto with the contemptor.

Are legion dreads with cc and grav in a drop pod no good or only in my list above? I thought 1 dropping down t1 with me the leviathan will be effective in splitting the enemy fire / forces.

...Man Time for sleep then if Centurion = Chaplain in my brain @_@

The Main draw to Legion Dreads w/ Grav is stripping Hull Points off of 4+HP Vehicles Fast by having 2 drop in on T1 to nuke it. So if you do know you'll be facing Land Raiders with Nasty Units inside, yes, definitely worth it.

Otherwise, you can probably find another use for the points.

The fact that you have 3/4 Dreads being your Lists Main Punch, while not necessarily a bad thing, can end up being disappointing in actual application due to the potential for lacking Support / Mass Removal.

You'll find that they are easily Tarpit'd and, while they do have S10 Ap2 at I4 in CC, its still a maximum of 4 Attacks per turn, 5 if they charge. Its great against MC's / Low Model Count Beefy Units. Problem is, in 30k, such units are usually going to be Terminators of Some Kind and they'll typically pack a Chain Fist or equivalent in there coupled with Massed S8 generally speaking.

So vs Terminators, you're probably going to kill 1-2 terminators on average before its 3HP are promptly removed.

Versus 10man Tac Blobs, thats, due to WS4 and hitting on 4s, thats, on average ~2 Dead Marines per turn. So unless he spectacularly fails morale or whatever and runs or fails to kill your dread with the Sarges Melta Bomb, hes possibly locked down for 3+ Turns smacking tac marines.

Bump that up to a 20 Man Tac Blob and, well, thats a lot of Krak Grenades and hes not going anywhere fast.

The Leviathan is solid. I'd Grab Phosphex on him for added utility. His Grav-Flux Bombard, outside of horrible scatter, is going to be mulching infantry left and right and while you opted for the Claw vs Drill, its still S10 in CC with a Single Melta Gun shot (meh) when going for vehicles.

He also has a 4++ to mitigate the majority of the damage dealt to him.

Edited by Slipstreams