Nostraman Runic Alphabet And Numerals Font & FW Runes too

Noctem Cultor

I'm reading soul hunter right now.

It's written that Septimus wrote only one sigil on Talos helmet and it meant "in midnight clad " maybe that bloody rune means that?

Also he said that Nostraman is based on High Gothic maybe we should consider it somehow?

And last thing. He paints 3 runes as one making them mean something else. Someone already suggested that I think we should consider it. It's kinda like for example Japanese writing

Yeah that was me. Actually the three-letters-into-one-rune was the one Septimus wrote on Talos helmet:

[...] the rune for soul hunter [on Talos' helmet] actually has three letters, and together they literally mean 'ender of lives and collector of essences', which roughly translates to 'soul hunter' (omnibus p.116)

My guess is that Nostraman combines letters into runes to form concepts, rather than combining symbols to make more complex symbols.

Okay as I promised I wrote down every rune I could from those photos. Also numbered them to make it eaiser to refer to them in future:

http://s5.postimg.org/6wpadxezr/runes.png

Aaand few of my ideas, please tell me what you think:

Few runes are signed as for ex. 7 and 7`  - I did that because they were almost identical except for mall differet details. If we go with option that they have their basic alphabet, then we can say this works similar to Japaneese, where you add line to change syllabels for ex. to write "ga" you write "ka" with extra line on side.

In book, ADB mentioned that Talos have 3 letters combined into rune.  Rune that means in short "Soul hunter"

Look at rune 2. It looks like two 5`s combined. And 5 is painted on many places on armors. I thought maybe "5" mean " kill", so then 2 of those combined give another word, "Haunter". Those runes are often everywhere, I think those 2 words might have been used many times by night lords.

So another question is, if they join those symbols to create more complexed runes that hae their own specific meaning, do they "merge" them into one symbol, or maybe write them next to each other in specific way, like in many Asian languages, where they pile up few sybols into one.

That's a really impressive step forward right there. Awesome work, Piro. 

If we look at the rune for soul hunter in Shane Cook's iconic art, there's two almost mirrored seperate scribblies which together make the 'soul hunter' rune. But the novel says there's three letters combined that make the rune. Given that, I think Nostraman combines the runes both in a way that they 'belong together', but also merge them together. 

• 2 months later...

hey hey hey, it was quite silent in here for some time.

I think big step forward is new Forgeworld release - transfer sheet for Night Lords!

And look there - runes! All of them!

I think if someone could get there better photo of all of them from there it could be really helpful!

11151043_10206698360482502_5754513386596

yes I totally zoomed in on the photo took and screen shot and then uploaded it to pintrest and then copied the link and posted here...your welcome...

9e6e7532886e65894d11cb2c52c3cb3d.jpg

Ohhhh you wanted them a bit closer...

HOW ABOUT THIS...

bed479a1f2a98d101d33f0a5f042acb9.jpg

The Night Haunter Approves

b9e7515188157d3e6d5c362b11db52cb.jpg

those photos are too pixelated :c

I managed to find more or less 45 symbols, but as we can see on this sheet there are less of them :I

Also my friend suggested maybe we`ll inspire when translating like cyryllic or ... i don`t knwo translation of it, "grażdanka" - it`s kind of cyryllic that is used nowadays.

Also what about fuþark runes? Ones where each symbol means each letter and have own meaning too? Then we can still have that one symbol that is everywhere as a word ( like " kill") and also a letter :) Space wolves runes are based on this runic system. I showed him thoe runes he said few of them are those runes, but bit deformed or turned :)

Great work everyone, good that this get's picked up again. I think we have already agreed that NL runes function like the norse fuþark runic system in that each rune has a conceptual meaning of its own (like 'horse', 'kill'', 'sword'', etc.) and also function as a letter ('s sound) in words. 

@Piro: I think it is awesome you found more runes , let's not use the transfer sheet as the definitive guide as that could potentially limit is too much. - use the additional ones too!

Archived