I blame Space Crusade for my love affair with the Blood Angels, let's face it, the Imperial Fists and Ultramarines just weren't as cool looking...

Yellow and Blue? Not for me, give me Red all the time

For me it was the lure of Assault Marines as troops 1st, then once I started on that path I began reading up on the fluff of the Blood Angels and I was hooked from there. My 2nd love is Chain Axes, nothing screams nasty close quarter combat weapon than an Axe with a spinning teeth at its blades edge. After reading about the Fleah Tearers and their prefered weapon "Chain Axes" I knew the Blood Angel successor chapter was for me.

Now I can field a full jump pack assault force all wielding chain axes. Gawd Bless you Blood Angels.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to play Blood Angels beacouse their background story is by far the most intrsting of all astrates chapters.

As an Italian I always felt drawn to the Blood Angels, their names are italian, their story is similar to the events in the Divina Commedia of Dante and their flaw turns them in the most noble of the space marines, humble, artistic and proud.

When I tried for the first time the TT it was my friend's Blood Angels army that cemented my love for the chapter. The fine assault troops, jetpacks and a torrent of fire seemed more than perfect for me but when my friend fielded a Furioso Dreadnought and I have seen the beast in action I deciced that I will collect the Blood Angels.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so admittedly sometimes you have to play more shooty than you like but when you want to bring CC....

Some people like bugs, some like little bouncy acrobatic(or big ugly and green) xenos filth, I prefer to see a hundred crazed Blood-Red 'Walking Bunkers' with jetpacks screaming up the field of battle ripping the enemy to shreds. And why are they doing it? Not 'For the Greater Good',not 'For Chaos', not 'For <some random xenos god whose name I can't spell> , and maybe a little 'For the Emperor and Sanguinius', but mostly because they like it that way damnit.

If for nothing else: In the fluff, it makes clear that whatever they believe or worship, the chance to rip an enemy to pieces in close combat is reason enough for these guys to go to war. And I like that. It's very becoming of the Galaxy in Flames atmosphere.

From what I remember, I picked up the 3rd Edition Space Marine book, and didn't like what I saw. My Dad had already picked up the Space Wolves, and I after reading about the "great sacrifice" of their Primarch, the Death Company, and just their kick-buttery, just had to start a Blood Angel force...plus THEY'RE RED! Edited by Menos

My reply may seem "Jumping on the Bandwagon", but when up until I last played 40k (about 10 years ago) I was a Space Wolf player. I decided to go for them due to the old A5 (ish) painting guide that was given out in stores (back then SW were grey than this Blue-grey that they are now :blink: ) The other choice was Blood Angels. Being on this site for a while, I've been tormented as to whether to stay SW, to go for Imperial fists or to start a Crimson fists Army. However, after the announcement on this forum that Blood Angels is next up for a revamp, I've since read the first two Blood Angel novels, lurked in the BA forum and tried to get as much information as possible. I even tried to get my DIY Chapter to be a BA successor (however, this was before I read up on BA and have made more than a few errors - which means back to the drawing board and to re-revamp them as a Chapter who like the Blood Ravens don't know who their Geneseed is from....), but I honestly think from what I've seen and read that the Blood Angels have persuaded me.

It's a Blood Angel Army that I'll be collecting. Although I think to get the itch for other Chapters out of my system, I may paint a Marine from the other First Foundings (and a few successors) for display/practice purposes :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest I was sold the moment I saw the name of the chapter. Some of the baddest mofos in the galaxy with a name like that? SOLD!

I mean Blood + Angel = Powerful imagery. Blood is a potent symbol of war, and anything associated with Angels that bring death (in other words the Angel of Death) is just way too cool.

I didn't even get to the real exciting bit about the fluff, history and playstyle until I was riding back to the house with the friend who introduced me to 40k, reading the codex.

Since then I've become a complete fanatic, and my reasons for continuing to play them are more refined, but that day I discovered them will always remain with me, and as long as remember that I will never stop playing them.

FOR THE EMPEROR AND SANGUINIUS!

I honestly can't remember why I chose Blood Angels. My dad brought me into the store where my brother played (back in the 3rd edition days, I don't even remember how long ago exactly.) I told him I wanted to play, so he let me pick a codex. I chose the Blood Angels. I didn't even get the Space Marines codex (that I needed in order to use mine apparently) for several years. Since then, I have never given up a single Blood Angel model, though I have dabbled with various xenos, such as the Tyranids, and even more briefly the Eldar. But now I have solidified my investment in Blood Angels.

All I can say is I have never regretted picking up that Blood Angels book. I am immensely proud of my red marines.

I originally went Blood Angels because I liked the colors of red, black, and yellow. I painted my first marine and lo and behold a Blood Angel Space Marine was made! I was going to do my own chapter, but then I read about the noble sacrifice of brave Sanguinius and was truly inspired. 'Any man who gives his life that another may live shall feast at the Emperor's table.'

• 2 weeks later...
Well the reason I'm getting into them, only played like three games so far with them, is I was looking into getting an assault army. I tried orks and just couldnt take loosing hundreds of boyz trying to get across the table. So I found blood angles codex and jawaballs website and I was in love. Jump pack assault troops were way different from my gunline dread heavy Iron hands. Besides the fluff and great back story I personally have a man crush on mephiston, so badass

• 2 weeks later...
I had (have) a large army of Marines that were (are) sitting there unpainted except for a few old models that I did as UltraMarines. I decided to make my own Greek themed chapter, lots of swords, shield, greek helmets, bronze armor. I wanted an assault heavy Chapter and some friends recommended either Space Wolves or Blood Angels. Found a free PDF codex on line for Angels, and that was that. I am now reading the Blood Angels Omnibus by James Swallow to get more of a feeling for my parent Chapter, and am awaiting the new Codex before I start putting together anymore of my successor chapter units.

• 4 weeks later...
I've played traitors, I've played loyalists, I lost a few screws and now I'm waiting for the Blood Angels codex so I can start making my marines evil and red. I've got a doubles tourny coming and me and my partner decided lets play insanity and go for Flesh Tearers or Blood Angels.

I have played a lot of different marine chapters. I never get to far with them, they don't feel right. I love 40k's fluff and only two chapters and a chaos legion's fluff stand out for me, they would be; Blood Angels, Iron Hands, And Thousand Suns. All of the because of the Primarchs.

So the new army is Going to be Blood Angels.

• 2 weeks later...
Not a player yet, but once I get some money over the summer... Anyway, I've been a fan of 40k in general for years. Always wanted to play, but I've kept running into the same stumbling block: I hate the painting. Fluff? Great! Putting together the model? Love it! but painting and I, we don't get along. But some factors change, met some new guys, who've since become good buddies, one of whom loves painting. So, we put together some stuff for adepticon, and whilst up there, I pick up Collected visions. I'm flipping through, see a great pic of Sanguinius holding a daemon head, and I'm thinking "hey, the Lord of Angles looks really cool here." It is at this point I'm dragged away to the GW shop to see if they have some audio books my friend wanted. While there I see some great minis with wings, standing a display only Codex. Low and behold, the it's the Blood Angles. Considering that I'm thinking of starting an army, I like the minis, the Codex's release seems conveniently timed, what I'd just seen in the art book, and I'd always like Sanguinius' noble sacrifice I took it as a sign from the Emperor. And that's my story

As for me, I always loved the BA, but wasnt set on playing with a pdf fo the codex that was in WD. Also, lack of unique models, as I am lazy to convert my own, but I am working on it. So, now with new shiny things, and an actual book, I will be leading my first group of the blood drinking red guys soon :o

Very simple thread as the title suggests.

Why did you get interested in Blood Angels?

for me i have to say these reasons:

1) They were the first codex i bought becuase of the front cover (3rd Edition)

2) They're are very like me, i get angry when rilled but otherwise sensible.

3) The books (i know everybody seems to hate them but i loved them)

so what about you?

Athiair :P

when i got into the hobby at the tender age of 12 (1995) they were games workshops marine poster boys.

I remember buying the blood angels captain that was to become tycho and painting him head to toe in blood angels orange..oops sorry blood angels red.

anyways i have been waiting what seems like forever for this codex and am looking forward to returning home from vacation to get into my new models :P

I'm interested in them because the rules in their current codex more accurately lets me portray my own chapter as I always envisioned them playing - very jump troop heavy, with psychic backup and lots of Dreadnoughts. Pretty much it.

I did like their look a lot though, just never wanted to play them before because I didn't want my chapter behaving like a bunch of uncontrollable loonies craving for blood out on the field.

Started them five years ago.

What I liked (and still like) best about them is their tragic nature. They're torn between the rage and anguish that seeks to consume them and their will to fulfill their duty as one of the few who stand against the Imperium's enemies. That's always appealed to me as it's a little bit deeper than "we're here, we're blue, get used to it". :P I love it. Every Blood Angel fights a battle inside himself each and every second of his life, and he knows he will lose it some day.

Also, I like vampires, angels, the iconography and their artistic nature.

Edit: Ze shpelling...

Edited by ancient god

They had the coolest armor of them all. I loved the models, especially Dante, and to this day I still think Dante is the one of the coolest looking model in the whole GW range. I played around with DA, SW and even DA before settling on BA. I still like to convert and paint me some Iron Hands now and then, but in 40k, Blood Angels are my one and only true love.

Somebody painted/posted this mini on CoolMini. I cannot find the listing now but it was what I wanted my marines to be.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2681/4494185555_baf342830f.jpg

Then after reading some fluff I was glad to discover the BA are the right choice for people who want a good looking army.