For me it was this months White Dwarf Mag, and inside there was some amazing pictures of Death Company, now at first i thought they where some chaos marines but when i actually started reading the articles i was really drawed in, that and furiso dreadnought with blood talon's - that looks beastly but at the same time there space marines and they love art, how cool is that?

I've Read some other space marine chapter's before, i nearly went white scars at one point but these guys really do it for me, there are a fast assaulting army and they have some cool character's like lemartes and asorath the grim, im not so much a fan of the "heaven side" with there handsome looks and angelic wings but each to there own ^_^

My wife and i decided to collect armies for our kids, so when they get older they will already have something.

My sons name is Seth, so flesh Tearers seemed the logical choice ^_^

Always liked red marines, but never liked the idea of playing an army thats codex was a WD lol. Now with the new dex and shiny new minis, I was instantly drawn in to the army. The fact that they are so angelical, artistic, and very "classy" (only way I could decribe it lol) but also have a darkside that is a total polar opposite of that is just awesome! That, and we are the sons of the Primarch who helped save humanity! That has to count for something!

1) They featured in the very first battle report I remember, the debut of the Titan Legions expansion for Epic.

2) They were the Marine poster boys for GW at the time (see cool second edition covers pictured earlier in the thread :D )

3) Enjoyed the fluff, particulary the nobility of the Chapter and Sanguinius

4) Red marines look cool!!

Hmmm because my mate was using Salamanders and I wanted something different to use against him (I had absolutely no idea about the universe / fluff etc)

They had (and still have) a gorgeous colour scheme, plain and striking plus they kick ass ... what more do i need to say ... fell in love with them.

my brother and i started playing together, hes 2 years older then i am so looked at backgrounds and picked dark angel. our dad gave us the old 3rd ( i think 3rd?) edition starter set with dark eldar in it. first i was going to play DE, then i went to look for a space marine chapter i liked because i dident like the dark eldar ones (never actually played with them mind you, just dident like em...)

reason i started playing blood angels? i wanted space marines and liked the colour red: who happend to have special rules as well :D

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/3/9/22445_md-.jpg

Pretty much why I started Blood Angels too. I just loved that red armour.

Bought the Blood Angel Tactical squad box-set forst then grabbed the 2nd edition starter box. I even remember buying the original Captain Tycho model for

I getting back into them after 15-18 odd years, space crusade and first models bought were BA marines.

Reasons now:

1) A return to BA prompted by new release of fricken sweet models.

2) I love painting red.

3) Somthing else to burn a hole in my wallet.

4) I have plenty of Black Templars.

5) Like Brand said, "Did I say jump troops as troops"

My first marine army ever were Blood Angels. Unfortunately at the time so was everyone elses. So they became Salamanders. Then I tried a small Flesh Tearers force. They never lost a game for me. They remain my only unbeaten army. I drifted away from the hobby for a few years and my son became the owner of the Flesh Tearers. Now Im back and the new codex is out, I thought Id try the FTs again but after trying out some other schemes I decided to do some Angels Sanguine instead. This time however I couldnt give a munkies if everyone is playing Blood Angels. My little angels are here to stay.

that's why, need I say more?

Long time lurker, first time poster.

This is also what got me in W40K and Blood Angels... the first time around. I quit playing 10 years ago, and just recently got back with the new Space Hulk and the new Blood Angels Codex and minis. I lost nearly all my old Blood Angels minis, except for HQs, now slowy rebuilding everything from zero :-)

BTW, slightly off-topic request: I remember reading an article in White Dwarf about a cool (and expansive!) conversion to make a mini for the blood angels captain featured in this cover. This was 15 years ago so I'm having a hard time finding the magazine in my mess... Anyone have links about similar conversions ? - perhaps with more recent material ? I figure it's probably easier with the tons of plastic kits that weren't available back then) - Message me if you don't want to pollute this thread.

that's why, need I say more?

Long time lurker, first time poster.

This is also what got me in W40K and Blood Angels... the first time around. I quit playing 10 years ago, and just recently got back with the new Space Hulk and the new Blood Angels Codex and minis. I lost nearly all my old Blood Angels minis, except for HQs, now slowy rebuilding everything from zero :-)

BTW, slightly off-topic request: I remember reading an article in White Dwarf about a cool (and expansive!) conversion to make a mini for the blood angels captain featured in this cover. This was 15 years ago so I'm having a hard time finding the magazine in my mess... Anyone have links about similar conversions ? - perhaps with more recent material ? I figure it's probably easier with the tons of plastic kits that weren't available back then) - Message me if you don't want to pollute this thread.

Welcome to the forums, and enjoy your stay for as long as you like :(

My sons name is Seth, so flesh Tearers seemed the logical choice :P

Here's a tip for you Barn, don't buy him a 6 foot chainsword for his 18th. Will get a bit messy

:D

I'll keep it in mind :P

• 2 weeks later...
EDIT: Imperial Fists ended up being the chapter that truly called to me, Still quite fond of the BAs though and I'm still tempted to do a small Blood Drinkers army one year. Edited by Reldn

• 3 weeks later...

Why not really?

Regarding fluff, we easily outmatch any other chapter.

Regarding funky lists, we have access to really funky choices (DC, Sanguinary Guards/Priests) and are still classified as Space Marines. B)

Regarding sweet minis, which other army is red and black and have the coolest unit ever in our Sanguinary Guard (yes, that is my opinion).

I started playing during characterhammer (2nd ed.) and just loved the fluff from the Mission-book-thing in the Box, as well as getting my hands on the "Angels of Death" codex and playing Space Hulk.

After a few years away from the hobby, I am now back, and which other army would I rather play other than the most intrigueing army there is out there.

I love my Blood Angels, and always will. A future broken list or no, my red marines are here to stay.

Oh, and did I forget to tell you about Fast Baal Predators? And Assaulties as troops?

Started with them when i started actually Playing 40k, a good two years ago. At the time, it was late 4th edition, but Before the PDF came out. The real reason? the first set of Space Marines i got was from a car boot-sale. amongst stuff like a pair of Land Speeders, a half-assembled rhino, and a Land Raider, was one of the Mk 1 Baal Predators.

Slowly, thanks to the whole birthdays, christmas money, and lucky finds at other boot-sales, I've ended up with Blood Angels tanks, successor-Space Wolves troops, a GK chapter master at one point, Now a half-plastic, Half-metal captain I'm far too proud of. Space Hulk Termies serve as Bodyguards, and, well... Termies. there've been good and bad points, on the bad side giving up and getting one of the ancient marine armour bodies that i Didn't want... two weeks before the Armour through the Ages thing was released.

Good... my first apocalypse game, seeing the Rending Death Company boy smash straight through a Brass Scorpion, by himself. that was the day he earned his new, Detailed paint job.

Only annoying thing from back when i started model-wise, is as the PDF wasn't around yet, one of the staff in the local GW store advised me Not to get Tycho. Now, so many years later? I get to watch as the Store Manager's carefully converted and painted Knights of Blood Tycho-equivalent crushes my Termi captain and Meltagun's the remains.

More recently, as I haven't been able to get the right shade of red without an undercoat since I started, started painting them up as the successor chapter they are today. the Best of my units, that've either been around since I began collecting, or just Should be pure Blood Angels, stay in their old colours.

so the Dreadnought, tanks, and Space Hulk Termies all stay Blood Red, as they should be. Mephiston... for whatever reason, his chest armour was white when i bought him for £11 at the Vapnartak thing, and his paint's stayed perfect ever since.

One thing that's stayed consistent with my chapter since I first got them; the Extremely close ties with the Daemonhunters. Now, at last, when their codices and troops have returned to the shadows, my force is proving Why they kept the chapter in existence, rather than destroying the gene-seed long ago.

...Who knows, maybe one day the chapter Overseer I chose to name this forum account after will be able to return and work Well with them, rather than die even faster that the PDF captain did...

The most proud boast I can make though, is the Teleporters for the Termies is as perfect as it could be. at this rate I'm going to end up deliberately Aiming the deep-strike at impassable terrain or enemies, just to show off. Next stage with them, paint up/base another Space Hulk boy, and get a left-handed Thunder Hammer for my Captain.

Note: MASSIVE edit... didn't realise i'd babbled on for two full pages, even at 1280x1024 resolution... I Really do talk too much about my models given half a chance.

Edited by Master Zarachias

Well, as with most of us, first thing from W40k I saw was a bunch of ultramarines...I really LOVED the guys,the armour and all that coolnes that I really do not need to explain to all of you marine players. But, I hate blue as a colour so I started to search more...

And it got to Dark angels. They got those cool robes and on the pic I found,they looked black...And, so I bought my first 5 man pack,that small one from the 3rd edition still and started painting it dark green (I knew by then that DA's are green)...But, after some third model, it just didn't felt right so i resumed my search and found what else than...RED.

And,hence red is my favourite colour it was decided, I'll try red this time...so I did and after first model, it was decided for good...And when I got more to it and started reading all that cool stuff that makes up our chapter, there was no turning back...All the cool things like Flaw and Sangy made it for me, the more the older I get. Hell, I am with these guys for some 4 years now and they never cease to amaze me...

Last time,some three months ago i found out that i CAN do freehand somewhat and that the angelic theme is just way too cool to miss so right now,whole freakin' half of my force is under reconstruction...That is BA for me, never ending fountain of fun...

Edited by Cpt. Salvatore

Long time peruser, first time poster!

The first mini's I ever picked up was a box of DC. I had every intention of playing BA's, but I was just starting college so money was always an issue.

Along comes a friend of mine who was just getting involved with 40K as well, but he wanted to play 'nids for the CC, so we wound up splitting the army, until he decided to join the Air Force and take all the models with him.

So I was left with nothing for this wonderful hobby I had come to love, save for that one, unopened box of DC.

I recently found that one box while cleaning out some boxes from my most recent move and decided that "It was time."

Started looking over the fluff, read some of the novels (all be it rather painfully!) and realized that I didn't just want to do another BA army (since I heard the new codex was coming out).

Decided to go Flesh Tearers (Chainaxes hold a special place in my heart, what can I say!)

Haven't looked back since!

For me, my beginnings as a Son of Sanguinius trace back to the old 3rd edition codex. It wasn't long after the 4th edition Codex: Space Marines was released, and I was looking for a new army (had previously only played Space Wolves). My first thought was the Raven Guard: really cool, easy to do a basic paint job on, and loads of jump packs. Thats what I was going for. Having never been able to use them as a SW player (back when they cost like 30 points a model), I wanted jump packs.

Well, another guy at the local store was starting Raven Guard, so I decided to do something different. Eventually settled on Ultramarines, for whatever reason. And then someone else started them. So I was on the prowl again. That's when I decided to try the Blood Angels.

From there, I fell in love with the fluff, loved how easy the army was to paint (prime white, spray red, use a custom wash to darken, paint up details), the jump packs, and of course, the fluff (did I mention the fluff? Noble but cursed; epic!). This advanced into the PDF codex (moment of silence for our lost brothers) and now to this beauty of a codex we have now.

I started my GW "sponsoring" 4 years ago. First army was Eldar. Two words: Fast and Beautiful. Unfortunately they are not very resilient and many battles was lost due to eagerness for close combat. Then, 2 years ago, my attention drifted towards marines.

After reading a bit about the different chapters I chose Blood angels. Their fluff is epic, they are fast and beautiful. That was two years ago during the age of PDF. I have never regrettet it and with our new dex and models.... Need I say more.

With the coming of the new dex I decided to go for The Flesh Tearers but am reverting to the parent chapter as we speak. It can only be The Blood Angels them selves for me.

My Eldar are also blood red by the way.

I am afraid I have become a BA/Jump marine addict....

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae257/Pendragi/24052010274.jpg

Keep our banners high, brothers.

T.

• 3 weeks later...
I started out with the Ultramarines, and while they have served me well, I always find myself getting sucked into close combat. So I figured, might as well join the chapter that wants to be in close combat. Also, I want to try my hand at a DIY chapter, so I get a fresh start with the Blood Angels. As per my signature, I'm still collecting models and rounding out my other armies, but hopefully by the end of the summer I'll be rocking the BA codex in full force.

Ah hell, I just like to get all up in they faces!

That and the fluff behind the Blood Angels in particular is personally my favorite space marine fluff.

I got converted to BA from Orks, that's how up in yo face these guy's get.

It's amazing.