IA13's most impact for CSM

I think the typhoon is a great choice, if you got some really lucky rolls on the thunderblitz table you could roll over a whole line of tanks, and that's without even using its big gun. 

What I'm wondering is if you were to add only 1-2 options from IA13 to your army (mostly because of FW prices), what would it be? I like the hell blade and sicaran but whatever I do end up getting from FW I want to make sure is one of the best options I could get. 

Also on the note of making a conversion beamer rapier weapons battery, I was thinking of using the rapier graviton cannon from FW, however if you wanted 3 or more it would be rather pricey. 

Certainly the ones you mentioned. Rapiers (probably Hades), Sicaran and Hell Blades are up top. I guess Fire Raptor would also be worth considering as well as the Typhon.

Can't really get behind the rest, but that is me with my healthy and limited loyalist mind, that has not yet been unhidged :P

I figured as much, it basically comes down to which first because I'll probably grab one model for the holidays and wait till the summer to get another. Pretty much stuck between the sicaran, the hell blade and a rapier battery. 

I figured as much, it basically comes down to which first because I'll probably grab one model for the holidays and wait till the summer to get another. Pretty much stuck between the sicaran, the hell blade and a rapier battery.

What gaps do you need filling in your force?

Model wise, I would like to convert my own Rapier, I already have a HellBlade from waaay back but still not painted so I guess that means Id buy a sicaran first!.

I really think the Rapier is going to become a very popular choice for CSM, its just a great bargain for its price. And with a Fire Raptor (or 2 HellBlades) thats all teh support im going to need for teh bikers, spawn and RhinoSquads etc.

I love this book, it completes the return of CSM, Daemons, and Lost and the Damned, it adds a ton of options (some good, some less good granted) and is just a beautiful piece of art.

For my typical lists, the Sicaran has never let me down, and I'm eyeing the Fire Raptor while building out some additional options for my Decimator. Rapiers with Hades?? Yes please.

Anyone getting good use from the Dreadclaws? 

Tempted to model some

I actually don't hate them.  Most of the failure I've seen regarding them are from people trying to make drop melta squads.  This is a horribly point inefficient way to use the Dreadclaw, so really shouldn't be used this way.  In my experience, they're fantastic for delivering 10-man melee squads, either Berserkers or Chaos Marines with a fearless character attached.  Land them somewhere safe, flat out 18" and then enjoy your AV12 4+ shell.  If it gets killed, that's fine, you're not flying so you don't die, if it doesn't get killed then you get another 6" of movement, in either case, it forces the opponent to react.  Due to their cost, I don't recommend taking more than 1 in most situations.

@minionboy, would you say it performs lime a LandRaider? I'm running g a double raider list, but for those points I could fit multiple dreadclaws, I'm just not sure how resilient tbeyare , and I lack the opportunity to play test them ATM. .

I usually use CC NoiseMarines or berserkers.

Anyone got any experience with the brass scorpion? I quite fancy building one from defiler kits as I'm coming back to my chaos force and there's often tournaments that allow super heavies

I can't see it being bad, it's got a solid weapons load out and cc potential for its cost, I rather doubt you could go wrong with it. That being said that's just going off seeing its stats not using it. 

Anyone got any experience with the brass scorpion? I quite fancy building one from defiler kits as I'm coming back to my chaos force and there's often tournaments that allow super heavies

I used it at the Bay Area Open last year, it was BRUTAL!  It is significantly larger than a Defiler though.

@minionboy, would you say it performs lime a LandRaider? I'm running g a double raider list, but for those points I could fit multiple dreadclaws, I'm just not sure how resilient tbeyare , and I lack the opportunity to play test them ATM. .

Similar in function, it gets a unit safely into combat, it isn't as survivable as a land raider, but it lives long enough.  The bigger problem is that it's competing for FA choices, which if you're making a melee force, will be very desirable.

After looking this over, I can see myself for sure adding to my Sicaran with a Relic Pred (Plasma Destroyer), a Hell Blade, and a slot of Rapiers. Thats before the madness of options provided by allied Renegades... 

The sicaria drops jink saves not cover and it still has to hit stuff, so it is meh against flyers and forces an eldar or necron wall player to use existing cover[like everyone else]. Unless someone knows the tables on which he plays every time, it is not as an awesome choice as you may think[specialy considering the cost of the tank, and I mean both the points and the money].

Going to disagree with this. The Sicaran has proven itself in game after game (both 30k and with my Chaos army) and the Sicaran has performed admirably in each. It also scares the crap out of your opponent which is why it gets targeted quickly.The key is to realize it is a fast vehicle with long range. No need to move it close to your enemy and you can take advantage of cover. This is why I own several of them.

My FW order, inspired compelled by this book arrived today. The Sicaran is worth it as a centerpiece model just for its looks alone, in my humble opinion; but really starting at 135pts, if you're willing to pick one up, it's hard to not find room for it, and it's bound to make its points back I would think.

With a little tweaking it wasn't hard to take the 170pts of a 'Drake and turn it into a Fire Raptor; It's another model that's just so hardcore looking, it's worth it as a collectors piece. Now, I'm bias as a builder and painter who sees more in a model than the tabletop value, but it brings a lot of hurt to a list at a reasonable points cost if you ask me. Now, the fact that it really fits with the Air Cavalry theme that I want to build towards gives it extra points in my eyes. It's the same reason why I'm willing to consider swapping Obliterators for Rapiers, they just fit better with my Cavalry theme.

Because of their Infernal Relic status it'll be harder to get them both in the same list, but it's hard not to see much potential to these tools of war; too much of a great mix of form and function, I know I couldn't resist. The thought of personalizing them is both daunting and inspiring. But that's another story for another thread, so they say.

I used it at the Bay Area Open last year, it was BRUTAL! It is significantly larger than a Defiler though.

Similar in function, it gets a unit safely into combat, it isn't as survivable as a land raider, but it lives long enough. The bigger problem is that it's competing for FA choices, which if you're making a melee force, will be very desirable.

Yeah the old GW guide has two defilers mashed together or is that still a bit small?

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n617/aceytrixx/8ED3DC7C-DAE6-4E10-9661-B014EA60CD2A.jpg

Like that. Although looking at the forge world site it probably is too small

Boo. You might be right actually.. I just read they fluff that also mentioned earlier incarnations of it were more defiler in looks and thought that I might be able to get away with it. There's goes my dream of a cheap superheavy haha I'll probably look into getting a typhon now instead. Maybe not the most slaaneshi of choices but it'll look glorious in pink and its just another blast to add to the army. Probably along with 3 conversion beamer batteries

Going to disagree with this. The Sicaran has proven itself in game after game (both 30k and with my Chaos army) and the Sicaran has performed admirably in each. It also scares the crap out of your opponent which is why it gets targeted quickly.The key is to realize it is a fast vehicle with long range. No need to move it close to your enemy and you can take advantage of cover. This is why I own several of them.

Can you spam it enough for it to survive long enough against top builds? If you can, then it is awesome[because aren't they limited in non 30k games]. I don't know what your opponents are but most necron and eldar list don't have problmes catching it, unless its like on a totaly other side of the bord behind buildings. Also it does not take away cover, it removes jinking. This means a Serpent or a flyer has to use cover as another tank. And what is not without importance ,if you take it your opponent has access to both the ctan and the reaver which are much more destructive [and yes I know they cost more points].

My problem with claws was not their failing at being melta drop pods[they cost too much for that], but the lack of viable melee and short range units that could operate alone. If stuff could score in transports maybe cheap 10 man units of cultists could be an interesting option, in areas where no necron and nids are played. Otherwise one pays a bit less for a slower LR from a different slot and slower in an edition where fast msu spaming of objectives is crucial doesn't work imo.

Why are your dreadclawclaw units operating alone? They should hit turn two, along with spawn, bikes, mauler fiends, winged princes, allied khornedogs, seekers, etc.

If youre taking claws, you take them in an assault list, you don't send one poor unit off by itself while everything else in your army sits back and shoots.

Archived