The NEW "What will 2014 Bring?" thread

Xenith

That new relic jump pack is making me think. A unit of sang guard led by a captain with said relic can be nice against tau. Even better with dante leading them. No scatter and no interceptor fire (snapshooting). Can be awesome.

Wow, Mephiston is straight up garbage. 3wounds, really? The guy that mastered the black rage, turned his gene seed back on again is endowed with Ole Sangy boys power blah blah has 3 wounds and can now be instakilled by s10 AND he still only has ap3 AND no inv save? Thanks GW, it's not like he was my favorite character or anything. Assault troops are no longer troops? They have been a troop choice since Rogue Trader. The chapter that is all about assault marines doesn't do them better than Ravenguard, we lost them as troops and that other chapter gets to use jump packs in movement and assault phase but we don't? Yeah, looks like all my BA stuff will be riding the shelf and ill have red marines again. Don't get me started on ws4 D Co that don't reroll wounds with a chap, oh and we don't have 3 wound chaps anymore, I'm done. This is worse than the 2nd to 3red transition.

So, neither Assault or DC squads are Troops anymore? That...hm... dry.png

I don't wanna be 'that guy.' I really don't. I try very hard, especially as a Templar, not to be 'that guy.' But, I have to say it, this seems like another step towards homogenizing every Space Marine Chapter into a more Ultramarine-ish army, bar Wolves. No more niches, no matter how simple. Everyone is nudged towards being Ultramarines+ Chapter Tactics and characters.

Ugh. I feel dirty even writing that. But I had to get it out of my system. Sorry. sad.png

A bit bland, yes, but our new codex won't play like codex marines. 

Difficult to tell right now but I suspect a strong list will include some kind of aplha strike to demech followed by mop up using buffed assault units. Not quite the same as SM grav trains or cent stars. 

I don't wanna be 'that guy.' I really don't. I try very hard, especially as a Templar, not to be 'that guy.' But, I have to say it, this seems like another step towards homogenizing every Space Marine Chapter into a more Ultramarine-ish army, bar Wolves. No more niches, no matter how simple. Everyone is nudged towards being Ultramarines+ Chapter Tactics and characters.

Ugh. I feel dirty even writing that. But I had to get it out of my system. Sorry. sad.png

I've got to say... I don't really see it.

• We still have two unique units
  • We have a unique tank.
  • We have one unique dreadnought type, and our ironclad/venerable equivalent has some unique armaments and is pretty BAMFy.
  • We have two unique HQ options
  • We can take as an Elite something everyone else has to take as an HQ.
  • We are the only Marines who can strike at I 5 - and if some of the rumors are correct, you can stack various benefits to end up with at least a single squad who strikes at I 6, potentially others nearby.
  • Our rhinos and Baal preds are still Fast, rumors suggest that other rhino chassis vehicles can be upgraded to gain Fast.
  • Our proprietary psychic discipline seems to be chock full of great support and offense and defense powers, which combines very nicely with the new Psychic Focus rule.

I don't see the world through a rose-tinted auspex. I'm not saying that everything is perfect. There are things we used to have that I'll miss. Spamming priests to give everything FNP was fun. Mephiston as a pocket daemon prince was great. All jump armies... well, I didn't start playing the game until the closing days of 5th, when the heyday of the jump army had already passed, but I'm told it was a lot of fun as well.

But this? This is not Blood Angels as genericized. We've lost some things, sure, but we have not been reduced to red marines! Not by a long shot!

So, neither Assault or DC squads are Troops anymore?  That...hm... <_<

I don't wanna be 'that guy.'  I really don't.  I try very hard, especially as a Templar, not to be 'that guy.'  But, I have to say it, this seems like another step towards homogenizing every Space Marine Chapter into a more Ultramarine-ish army, bar Wolves.  No more niches, no matter how simple.  Everyone is nudged towards being Ultramarines+ Chapter Tactics and characters.

Ugh.  I feel dirty even writing that.  But I had to get it out of my system.  Sorry.  :(

A small part of me has been thinking this too after the rumoured rules dropped earlier, but with the caveat of waiting to see what the eventual DA update will be (relevant to 7th Ed books), and it likely won't happen until 8th at the earliest... if it does happen.

++looks moodily at the recent End Times shenanigans++ ;)

Thing is though, and just a personal opinion, they would likely turn off a large number of people if all Marines were dumbed down to nothing for the sake of being in one book, more so than when a portion of people jump ship at a Codex release. Yes, we have lost a few things that made BA flavour, but I still don't think we've lost so much as to warrant us heading into one book to rule them territory. We still have the majority of our flavour, but now it is more localised within a given army list, rather than covering everything.

Fast vindicator are a nightmare, lucky they didn't catch on with most BA players. I will be happy to not see them on the other side of the table.

I have used 3 in a list before.  I'll miss them if they are gone.

Ok, I'll bite, though I don't want to derail the thread.

Blood Angels are, if anything, being brought back to their roots as an army, where they basically were a codex army. They are only not one to the extent that the flaw doesn't allow it, and have adapted to compensate in a few subtle ways (other than the death company…not subtle). Matt Ward took the army in quite a different direction than the last time they had a proper codex in 3rd. The whole "all jump troops, all the time" was an anomaly, and actually made the chapter much more one-dimensional than I feel the chapter deserved. Other than the Sanguinary Guard, having the Blood Angels all "flying" felt a bit too on the nose.

I always liked the contradiction of an army of thudding tanks with overcharged engines unloading heavily armored supermen with bolters and chainswords while having the moniker of 'angels'.

If anything, the rumored difference in the BA force org chart is the real juice for this release. The overabundance of elites reflects a chapter who is in decline, but doing its noble best to hold on.

So yeah, I think that insofar as any of the chapters need their own book, give them to the slightly non-codex founding chapters.

200 pt mephiston - give him the AP 2 power sword relic. Now he hits at str 10 ap 2. Throw in extra attacks from his primaris ability, plus bonus from charge, with his init, he can now take out a termie squad in CC whI h is more than he could do before for less pts

He can't take the sword, his gear is set. Just hope you roll iron arm on him with Biomancy again for s8 t8 and smash.

Too early to be negative. Way too early. Let's get the codex, write some lists, play some games. It'll be different, but it'll be fun. Nothing wrong with change. We aren't looking like a bad codex, quite the opposite. And we aren't an allied codex like GK. So let's see how it all turns out before lighting the fires and loading the bolters.

Matt Ward took the army in quite a different direction than the last time they had a proper codex in 3rd.

So yeah, I think that insofar as any of the chapters need their own book, give them to the slightly non-codex founding chapters.

You are mistaken when it comes to assault marines as troops, but whatever.

My secret wish is for a Raptors codex ph34r.png

Too early to be negative. Way too early. Let's get the codex, write some lists, play some games. It'll be different, but it'll be fun. Nothing wrong with change. We aren't looking like a bad codex, quite the opposite. And we aren't an allied codex like GK. So let's see how it all turns out before lighting the fires and loading the bolters.

Very much this!!

All the recent books have been met with a withering hail of wailing and doom singing... before a list has even been written or a 6-sided dice having been rolled (although primarily on more generic forums and sites rather than somewhere like here). Nids, D Eldar, IG... all were apparently a big pile of spent bolt shells but then people actually played with their new books rather than theorising and funnily enough, a large bunch of them actually found a way to make them work.

My lack of broad knowledge on those other books meant I couldn't really empathise with the pain that people initially felt, but every time I felt that they needed to actually play some games first before making such negative sweeping statements. This time though, I have the benefit of history having played this Chapter for years, and I genuinely feel we'll be alright and this could be a lot of fun.

You've got to realise though that books will change quite notably each iteration because G-dub is a business at the end of the day, and it needs to generate revenue to keep the product going, and that can only be done by keeping things fresh and varied. They don't always get that change right, granted, but I'm excited for this version... and I feel it could have been a whole lot WORSE!

I'd like to point out that you can always play whatever edition of the game you like. It's not like the Emperor is gonna show up and smite someone for rolling some 3rd edition.

This is an overstatement. You still need someone to play WITH. The current edition is the one you can be sure most folks own. I've never known anyone to have any luck landing an old edition game without a lot of arranging.

I can't say for certain you guys who have been here longer but this update look like they are making the angels more like 3rd edition. I started during 5th which means that I have 40 assualt marines that I don't know what to do with. Otherwise it looks exciting

Archived