The NEW "What will 2014 Bring?" thread

Xenith

Melta on Librarian dreads.... do you understand how happy and angry this makes me? :p 

It completely messes with all the arms I had to configure for our dreads (due to letf/right difference on the lib dread) but I looooooove having the option! 

I really doubt Corbulo buffs himself. He probably buffs only the UNIT he joins.. We'll know when Pascal wakes up, but otherwise sounds too dumb.

maybe, maybe not, our old priests gave themselves furious charge and feel no pain, i would assume our new ones give themselves +1 WS (and +1 I in the case of corbs) plus feel no pain...

pascalnz you are a legend!!!! :)

Some questions:

Can you be a bit more specific about Dante's special rule? Is it for his detachment only? Is it only when he is alive? Does he have to be on the board?

Does he still have 'accurate' landing like in 5th with no scatter at all?

What differentiates our Vanguard Vets from DC?

pascalnz you are a legend!!!! smile.png

Some questions:

Can you be a bit more specific about Dante's special rule? Is it for his detachment only? Is it only when he is alive? Does he have to be on the board?

Thanks biggrin.png

From what we learned one difference is that DC have no access to Grav weapons, for starters. They also (probably) lack any Deep Strike special rules Vanguards may have. I also believe DC won't have access to Relic Blades (but it would be nice to confirm this.. If DC have relic Blades, it would be awesome). Oh and also, DC can't take melta-bombs?

Ok I'm not normally one for the sky is falling type rants about new releases, but does anyone else feel that all the goodness from the last codex has been dropped this edition (if the rumours are true). I can see that the codex will still work and could still have game winning potential, but at the cost of flavour. DO you guys feel this is the case or is it just pre-release blues due to out of context rules snippets?  

Not at all, I think this codex will be awesome flavorwise! We got our +1I back, and +1WS on top of it. Our codex always relied on strong synergies and quickly concentrating a lot of force on weakspots, and this again works very well. DC and Sanguinary Guard had their point cost adjusted and are now actually playable, and ASM surely got cheaper as well. This, combined with drop pod tacticals with the new weapon options and more fun stuff (grav bikers squee) should work quite well. I for my part can't wait to get the codex and start building lists, lots of small parts working together to create a very strong army smile.png

I would also like to reemphasize the scouts - 110 points for 40 attacks I5 S5 on the charge is actually damn cool, put them in a raven and chop up things in the later turns. Also not too bad if you lose the raven, as they are so cheap.

Ok I'm not normally one for the sky is falling type rants about new releases, but does anyone else feel that all the goodness from the last codex has been dropped this edition (if the rumours are true). I can see that the codex will still work and could still have game winning potential, but at the cost of flavour. DO you guys feel this is the case or is it just pre-release blues due to out of context rules snippets?  

A bit. Unfortunately it's been a trend to remove those quirky rules that give adds character to individual units

Over all though I don't think BA has suffered as an army. We have a unique flair and will play very differently from other PA books. :) 

5th codex was like an ice cream truck with 30 different flavours where only a few tasted good. Now theres 25 and most of them taste good. We are still very assault oriented, our dreads are still very unique, mech is still fast and alot of core units are very BA spesific.

Edit: I really disliked the 2+ FNP mechanic, stuff like this can become frustrating for the opponent. I prefer the streamlined approaches they have taken with the new Codecies, not relying on weird crutches. GK release seems kinda thin, but i didt really see what they did there. 

I expect to play a much wider range of list types in the future which makes games more fun in general. I never know what i'm facing vs Ork's and Space Wolves now. Vs Tau i can expect some battlesuits broadsides and riptides every game. 

Pascalnz, you're a bloody legend and a true servant of the Angel and the Emperor. Thanks a lot for all the information! smile.png

@ Darklighter:

Yes, that seems to be the case. You can't play a jumper's army like we used to. That relic jump pack sounds good on a captain, Dante's warlord trait sounds like a buffed DoA, Priests have two wounds(but probably HQ as far as I understood?) DC are INSANELY cheap, with the detachment your army has the old Furious Charge back and another elites slot, rhinos, baals and razorbacks are fast and you can pay a meagre ten points to put it on vindies and preds.

It DOES feel like 3rd edition codex, but you couldn't take assault marines as troops back then anyways. It's just that by now, I've gotten used to it. msn-wink.gif

A bit sad on that we don't get the LSS, though. So much potential with a unit of scouts infiltrating, driving behind a tank and blow it up with melta- and boltershots. Or just use the newly won FC and assault from that thing while causing blind. Sweet baby Sanguinius.

Should Pascal wake up in a couple of hours(I guess he's a New Zealander?), I'd really like to know if VAS get any special rules.

Snorri

Ti be honest darklighter all I'm seeing everywhere (apart from tycho dead man's hand is) is goodness but not goodness for the sake of it, goodness that's ties into the fluff of blood angels. Our special characters are all either better or cheaper (astorath, dante and mephiston seem really good for points to me) we even get a generic captain that can get app at I or a sanguinary priest with it and fnP.

Sure we lost ras as troops and all our force org changing ability but who hasent look what we got in return? It's seems 90+% of our codex is flavourful and usable.

Just a side note even tho he is of line.

Thanks pascalnz for taking your time to share this information with us, and thanks to everyone who asked questions so I get all the info when I sneak on here while the other half is off chasing the of spring

This is just my oppinion but I do not feel this is true. We have lost a couple of build options, we have gained a few new options such as grav weapons and got some badly need buffs/price cuts on iconic units like Dante and SG.

I have played since 1st edition and I always felt that the 5th edition codex was a little out of whack with strange options like Dreadnought spam and Land raiders falling from the skies. To me, the new codex seems very flavourful. It is how I always imagined Blood Angels as a broadly codex chapter but with a sprinkling of distinct units like Death company (I still have my 2nd edition metal ones :D).

To people who are most familiar with the 5th ed codex, I can see that some of the changes may seem disappointing but to me this feels like getting back to where Blood Angels should be. I like a lot of the changes in these rumours although not all of them. But on balance I believe that we have a flavourful BA codex which supports more viable army builds than the old one.

Is it perfect? No

Is it still Blood Angels? Yes

Is it more playable? Yes

As Meatloaf would put it, 2 outta 3 aint bad. ;)

I dont feel this at all.  Im going to be able to run our actual unique units in numbers ive never been able to run before.  And if i feel like it I can still field plenty of Assault marines.  I do not have any tacticals and im excited that ive been provided a BA specific tac box.  I for one think this new codex has plenty of flavor and will be a lot of fun!

Well said Karhedronuk.

I started playing Blood Angels in 4th edition with the PDF, so losing Assault squads as troops hurts.  But, this appears so far to be an extremely reasonable representation of how the Blood Angels should play.  I'm looking forward to playing the Blood Angels and not needing to roll for Red Thirst or to position priests/Corbulo in a specific spot to make sure my marines had Furious Charge.  

The ability to have +1 strength and init on the charge, and +1 WS near a priest is just awesome for a close range/assault army.

I hope Vanguard get some bonus, because right now I can't see Vanguard hitting the table with Death Company around instead.

I think that a lot of people are having this same opinion. However, I think that this is instead a return of a more traditional Blood Angels. More Codex adherent certainly but we still have special baal preds, librarian dreadnoughts, sanguinary priests, death company, and sanguinary guard. That is a lot of flavor in my book.

I like where the meta is going currently. Books are no longer just trying to outdo each other, and instead providing balanced rulebooks that fit the actual backgrounds of the chapter. All of this while allowing people to still run armies how they like with unbound lists. I like the way things are moving even if that is an unpopular opinion. 

pascalnz you are a legend!!!! smile.png

Some questions:

Thanks biggrin.png

Vanguard Vets are apparently like those in C:SM, which means they can get Storm Shields (DC couldn't do that before, I doubt they can now). They have vanilla heroic intervention, which allows them to do multiple assaults without the disadvantages (they keep FC bonus and extra attack when assaulting more than one unit simultaneously). Profile-wise and cost-wise they'll be very similar to DC. A jump VV is one point cheaper than a jump DC I think. They are confirmed as an elite option too. DC couldn't do lightning claws in the past, maybe they can now. If not, that'd be another difference.

Some characters can only join DC, like Lemartes or Tycho DC, so if you want to hide them, you need DC. Don't know if other characters can join DC?

All in all, comparing both units isolated, the DC are much much better. I've used both units, and the VV die a lot faster (even with sprinkled shields), and kill a lot less. They used to be cheaper than the DC, but not anymore. I guess depending on your build though, VVs could also work (with a priest they do get FnP and +1 WS). Also, if you get jump vanguards and don't keep them simple, you might find quickly that just getting plain SG might be better. Better save and master-crafted power weapons for everyone for about a 10 point difference per model.

VVs got a lot cheaper, but they lost their unique skill...and since they share slot with 2 other elite jumpers that do almost everything better...I'm guessing they'll see even less use than before :(

5th codex was like an ice cream truck with 30 different flavours where only a few tasted good. Now theres 25 and most of them taste good. We are still very assault oriented, our dreads are still very unique, mech is still fast and alot of core units are very BA spesific.

Edit: I really disliked the 2+ FNP mechanic, stuff like this can become frustrating for the opponent. I prefer the streamlined approaches they have taken with the new Codecies, not relying on weird crutches. GK release seems kinda thin, but i didt really see what they did there. 

I expect to play a much wider range of list types in the future which makes games more fun in general. I never know what i'm facing vs Ork's and Space Wolves now. Vs Tau i can expect some battlesuits broadsides and riptides every game. 

I liked all of the flavours of the 5th ed dex, probably my favourite 40K codex. The current dex has significantly less flavours - we have to wait for additional detachments.

With the 5th ed dex I liked all of the different builds straight out of the book, without having to wait for detachments to be drip fed to make things feasible. I loved all the different special rules the units had which gave them character - the rules for magna grapple and claws forged the narrative for me far more than a boxout in a rulebook does.

Being a Vanguard Veteran in the Blood Angels Chapter is like being the middle child with an older brother who always gets the new shinies while you get the hand me downs, and your 'special' younger brother is just one tantrum away from slaughtering the whole family in their sleep.

I'm seeing options.... Lots and lots of options!

Loving the Idea of a fully deep striking army led by a Large Sang Guard Squad with Dante and Death company, supported by Cheap Librarians!

How ever looking at what we know so far my most successful 6th ed list is actually still useable, in actual fact it has gotten cheaper!

Use to Run

Librarian (Cheaper)

2 Melta assasin squads in pods (cheaper)

2 Frag cannon dreads in pods (same price)

10 Man assault squad with JP (Cheaper)

1 Sternguard squad (Not confirmed probably same price)

Mephiston is always added to the list, hes alot cheaper now but he does not work the same way so I might have to rethink my old list, but most of it will still work, just need to teak a few things!

Archived