The NEW "What will 2014 Bring?" thread

Xenith

There are also another bunch of formations coming in Exterminatus, based around the Archangels or the 1st company. Last I checked they didn't have scouts or Tactical marines. My guess is there will still be a way to run all jump infanty you might just have to use veterans instead of normal assault marines!

I'm sure there's camps of Jervis style fans and Ward style fans on this forum (stick me firmly in the Ward camp).

What doesn't tend to happen here is the opposing camps shouting in each others faces trying to force their opinion on each other. Rather refreshing in toy soldier land.

I just dropped in on my army list to transfer some recently completed units from the WIP table into their respective slots and noticed I have around 5,000 painted points of Crimson Tears stuff now with almost 4,000 of that being my (very nearly full sized) 2nd company. That somewhat impressive total will likely be eaten into with all these point reductions I keep hearing of .

That's what I'm angry about!! It could take me all year to get back up to 5,000 points verymad.gif

Back to fragiosos: a single melta shot feels too random to rely on it. The flamer synergises with the frag cannon to make first blood more likely, and also helps in overwatch to thin down units that could assault the dread and bog it down for the rest of the game. Tis al theory-crafting mind you smile.png Still want to give it a try see how it performs.

You must consider that in 7th the killzone of your flamer and frag cannon is only 8" though! Also, since one is resolved before the other, you will end up covering a lot less models with your flamer. For that reason alone the melta will probably always be the better choice.

Ops, hadn't considered that. Whatever gets killed by the flamer will most likely become less targets for the frag cannon. Or vice-versa. I guess I'll just take the melta see how that goes when there's no grapple to support it. Thanks for pointing that out :)

That's what I'm angry about!! It could take me all year to get back up to 5,000 points verymad.gif

Time to buy a thunderhawk

Oh, I've got the unpainted 1,000 points (and then some), believe me.

Given how long it took me to paint my lone tank for the army so far (Baal Predator) I suspect a Thunderhawk, while a nice addition, would not help me get back to the 5K mark within a calendar year

Anyone who is upset by this new codex simply doesn't understand 7th edition and the current state of 40k. With detachments and multi cad you can run fully bound armies that build on anything possible before.

Using current 7th edition rules and the new codex you can easily have an army with 13 dreadnoughts or 8 assault squads and anything else possible in the previous codex. All unit options have been recosted, rebalanced but ultimately the army is far more competitive.

It frustrates me to see so many clueless fools ranting about literally nothing. I don't even play BA, I simply recognise the quality of this new codex!

The Command Squad is limited to 5 models, isn't it? Not being able to beef it up has me hesitating on that one.

I consider this likely.  The command squad will likely be a jumpy (or drop pod) shooty unit, 4 plasmaguns, 4 meltaguns, 4 grav guns, whatever you need.

The Command Squad is limited to 5 models, isn't it? Not being able to beef it up has me hesitating on that one.

What plans do you have for it?

He still gets the BA primaris if he takes two additional BA codex powers, right?

He would only lose the primaris if he took biomancy or the like, correct?

RAW it's a bit unclear. I would expect this to be addressed in a FAQ unless the codex makes it clear.

Bugger. Means he can never get the primaris as bonus.

oh well!

Thanks Pasc!

He still gets the BA primaris if he takes two additional BA codex powers, right?

thats a good point... how does it work with other psyker special characters? anyone know?

Bugger. Means he can never get the primaris as bonus.

oh well!

Thanks Pasc!

thats a good point... how does it work with other psyker special characters? anyone know?

Is there another psyker with a special power.  I run Ahriman a lot but he doesn't have a specific power unique to him.

Just makes logical sense, especially since he is forced to take that psyker power and is then left to roll for (or choose) two additional powers.

I assume if we take BA psyker powers, we can choose them, as per our previous codex? Looks like they just wanted to keep the sword of Sanguinius limited to him, and lower the % of rolling iron arm in biomancy!

Oh so now we can take two special weapons for a 5-man ASM. And a furioso libby hits at S10 now.

Seriously if anyone still isn't happy with the new dex, well give me your BA and you go play eldar. :)

Bell of lost souls said that our AM got moved to the fast attack slot do u think that will hurt us?

Not at al (this is coming from someone with 40 JP ASM). Death company are affordable and better, everything in 7th is scoring, and you can still take them if you want- it just takes some adjusting with the use of detachments, or you can go unbound and take them all!

This might be a bit Ranty so I apologise, but we are starting to get a few blind stick in the muds posting the same garbage!

Honestly all these people complaining about Blood Angels loosing their flavour?? Really are you that blind or are you just regurgitating what you've heard other people say on the popular blogs ?

Assault marines are no longer troops, ok I know it sucks! You can no longer take a complete Jump pack only list, but to be honest that list has not been remotely competative since 5th ed and guess what if its that important to you you still have the option of running it, it will just be an unbound list! Guess what else! an unbound list with our new dex will be 10x more competative than our old 5th ed list running a Battle Forged list. So please get over it!! We have all the same units we used to have all the selection options we used to have, pretty much EVERYTHING has either improved or stayed the same. The only difference is some units have changed force org slots.

This new Codex has more viable units in it that any other codex we have had before. How that means we have less flavour is beyond me! If you think I am wrong please tell me how we are loosing our flavour? Now that we can actually take Death company with jump packs, Sanguinary Guard are cheap enough to consider using! Assault marines are cheaper! Tanks all still have fast if you want them to OR you can have normal ones and not pay the tax!

I cant wait to get my hands on this book and chew the crap out of its flavourful pages!

Excellent post Jorre.

I for one, as someone who was building an all jump-pack list, always felt a nagging doubt at the back of my mind telling me that I should run at least some tacticals since the BA are a codex chapter. So I welcome the changes because, in terms of flavour, it seems like the BA are returning to their roots and this is confirmed for me by Morticon's posts about the similarities between the rumours and 3rd edition. I am 100% cool with that and I think a return to older material is good.

Plus you can take the Deathstorm DC as one of your troop choices and have very close to an all jumper list if you really want, although I find the complaining about this curious since reading batreps and posts here has led me to believe that almost no one actually runs all jumper lists anymore.

Bell of lost souls said that our AM got moved to the fast attack slot do u think that will hurt us?

Hurt us? Assault Marines are more expensive and tougher to get into combat without taking casualties. Tacs are better. They can charge, too.

Having said that, I'm still going to use Assault marines.

This codex is just amazing and our faction got massively buffed. It's odd, I really found my passion for BA because of the idea of making an all jumpers list. Over time I started to love other units and now I just get excited over anything with a pair of angel wings.

5 man tac squad with heavy flamer in a fast las/plas razorback. Hell, put them in a heavy flamer razor firetruck. Burnanite.

Cheap JP DC for supporting the troops.

TWO special weapons options in a 5 man ASM squad... with a free pod. Can you say cheap melta alpha strike? With 2 melta shots, an infernus pistol, and a thrown krak grenade chances are you'll put some serious hurt on vehicles, heavy infantry, and monstrous creatures for almost no point cost. This is awesome.

5 point frag cannon. Fragioso with frag cannon and meltagun in a pod is still good, especially with that melta ASM squad above. thumbsup.gif

Dante... Dante... Dante. My man.

So many options, brothers. It's like we get the strengths of our previous codex for cheap!

Archived