Casual 30K Hobby Challenge - Month 4 - December

Kor'Vesh

Neither did I...at first. :P

Oh well, just kinda disappointed that I couldn't participate this month; what with being in Asia for the Holidays and all that. At least this gives me the opportunity to stockpile some Hobby Juice/Energy for when I get back home.

First thing on the docket will most likely be a Cataphractii with Heavy Flamer Salamanders Terminator for March of the Legions. Mine own Legion will have to wait 10/11 months till then (depending on if we do the IInd and XIth Legions).

Still dreading the Word Bearers month since they're the only Legion I outright Despise; Mostly through Lorgar, Kor Phaeron and especially Erebus.

Funny you should mention those lads, just got given them at Christmas. On a hobby level I hate Kor. Did you know those talons on his armour were all individual pieces? Because I bloody didn't.

Neither did I...at first. :P

Oh well, just kinda disappointed that I couldn't participate this month; what with being in Asia for the Holidays and all that. At least this gives me the opportunity to stockpile some Hobby Juice/Energy for when I get back home.

First thing on the docket will most likely be a Cataphractii with Heavy Flamer Salamanders Terminator for March of the Legions. Mine own Legion will have to wait 10/11 months till then (depending on if we do the IInd and XIth Legions).

Still dreading the Word Bearers month since they're the only Legion I outright Despise; Mostly through Lorgar, Kor Phaeron and especially Erebus.

I actually love the Word Bearers. I hated them, and then I read First Heretic, and now I think they're awesome. Argal Tal is one of my favourite characters.

However I can see why people wouldn't like them, and obviously I hate Kor Phaeron, and Erebus is the worst fictional character ever, words cannot describe how much I hate him.

I'm gutted I missed the AL and RG ones, I'll have to do the catch up month for them. Not sure I'll be able to do the Salamanders one cos I have no Salamanders stuff or really spare models at all atm.

Because I like to cut these things fine :P

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg605/Castiel25/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141231_031545_zps9919b282.jpg

My Raven Guard Despoiler Sergeant. Vow complete!

Der_H - great work on the contemptor man. I love that we get to see some emperors children in here.

Stru - a hero as ever. Great work on your pledge, and thanks so much for the army shot. I think it would take me two or three years to paint that much, that well!

Lion - fantastic job. As fire golem says there are some great fists on these boards, and yours are a brilliant addition. How did you convert the shoulders on the dread though man?

Castiel - you finished! We both completed our vows as promised. Honour restored brother, for both of us. Great work. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's salamanders in January's March.

Fire Golem and Slipstreams- I'm glad you'll both be in again next month, and energised for more painting. Don't distract the fiery one with fists though Slipstreams! He is easily distracted. Focus FG - sons and alphas are your boys, and they are great in their own right!

Ok- finally I won't complete vulkan today. There is a lot more highlighting work to do, and as Stru said two weeks ago, it would be a crime to rush him. I don't want to claim he is done when he's not. Now I didn't pledge him this month, so I think I'll use him for Jan - if that is ok with you guys! Primarch painting is great though - if you haven't done one yet, do!

So I'll open a January thread at some point tomorrow, and hopefully sum this one up on the second of man. It's been a great month everyone- Happy New Year to you all!

December Casual challenge – Post-mortem

Well it’s been a really impressive month guys, with some great completions, but most impressively 13 vows completed out of 19. Honour all around it would seem!

Final Standings

Pledges

Of course, with such a bias in team size towards the loyalist team, the high number of completions can really mean only one thing:

Loyalists 9 : 3 Traitors

Loyalist victory!

And what a victory. Special praise must go to Jaspcat-turned-Kurama who single handedly completed three pledges (I might have pooled the thallaxi and heavy support pledge...) for his loyalist World Eaters. Also Gizur, who managed two vows for the traitors including a land raider Achilles and Falchion superheavy tank. Great work guys.

Score

First a reminder of the scoring system:

Infantry - 1 point;

Large Infantry (termies, bikes, unmanned rapiers etc.) - 2 points;

Monstrous infantry - 3 points;

Vehicles - 6 points;

Lord of War - 10 points.

So, the final scores are:

Loyalists - 65 models completed, worth 80 points

Traitors – 10 models completed, worth 39 points

Another Loyalist Win!

However, huge credit to the Traitor team here. Their much smaller team pledged some big models to counteract the infantry focus of the loyalists. This left a much smaller gap between the teams than should be expected.

Progress

For the final week, I’ll review everyone’s progress and contribution. First up Team Horus.

The Traitors - followers of Horus - the heretics, followers of the warp (6 members)

The Oath Keepers:

Gizur Word Bearers – XVII: Quickly placing himself in the position of ‘Champion of Horus’, Gizur completed two beautifully heretical tanks this month, including a mutilated ultramarine. You have a great looking army Gizur, and turning out a falchion over the two weeks of Christmas is frankly scary!

Der_H Emperor’s Children – III: The first month in the challenge, our fist Emperor’s Children, and some really nice completions too. A five man melta support squad and a comtemptor were completed in glorious imperial purple, and we have the promise of an old-school land speeder to come.

The Battle Brothers:

Brother Vidius Iron Warriors – IV: Continued where he left off last month, swiftly completing his Sicaran, sadly Brother Vidius couldn’t quite manage both of of his Medusa’s (though frankly he already has enough fire power!). Still two completed tanks in December is a great effort, and gifts twelve vital points to Horus’ cause.

The Neophytes:

Raktra – The Beserkers of Uran – XI: Built a fantastic conversion of his special character Dorran Kldier this month, but was sadly unable to paint him.

Thunor’s Hammer – The Infernal Guard – Alt. Heresy: Reported progress on both his Praetor and Contemptor, but they sadly went incomplete. We’d love to see them finished in January though!

The Missing:

Chaplain MortisThe World Eaters – XII: Teased us with an awesome World Eater’s command squad early in December, but we never saw any more. Presumed lost to the nails.

The Loyalists - beloved of the Emperor - the loyal sons (9 members)

The Oath Keepers:

StruManChu – Imperial Fists – VII: Team leader, solid performed, Imperial Fist through and through. Stru just paints loads of stuff with no fuss. This month he added ten breachers and a Predator Executioner to his burgeoning force. Sixteen more points, thank you very much.

Kor’Vesh Salamanders – XVIII: Yes. I did it. I painted three men. Three. I am stupidly proud of this. I’ve also been working on Vulkan, but decided not to pledge him, as such a model can’t be rushed, even for the loyalist cause. You’ll be seeing him soon though. Thanks for the encouragement for my models though- hugely appreciated.

Jaspcat-turned-Kurama: The World Eaters (Loyalist) – XII: In the words of Raktra Jasp is on drugs, admittedly rather helpful drugs”. Jasp then promptly changed his name to be dissociated from such slander tongue.png Regardless of what fuelled him this month, Jaspurama, as I like to think of him, produced a lot of stuff. 3 complete vows, 20 points and nineteen models, all looking excellent. Well played sir, have another shrimp.

LionofJudah – Imperial Fists (Iron Fist Chapter) – VII: Another new player, another awesome army of Imperial fists, this time with a Mechanicum-influenced aesthetic. Lion completed ten tactical marines, a contemptor and two crewless rapiers to match Kurama’s 20 points. A fantastic effort and a really cool concept for a Fists force.

Deathspectresgt7 Night Lords (Loyalist) – VIII: He came from the darkness to deliver a completed marine in the dying seconds of 2014. Very Night lords, very apt, and a great way to retain the honour of the few loyalist members of the VIIIth.

Jeremy1391 – Raven Guard – XIX: Completed his vow nice and early, painting up 10 veterans and Kaedes Nex. These Raven Guard have an exceptional muted palette which really impressed me. I can’t wait to see more.

Castiel Salamanders – XVIII: We have both lived in shame in the previous two months, and at the start of December we vowed to stand together and finish our pledges. Castiel finished his Salamanders breachers nice and early, and spurred me on to complete my vow. However, he kept delaying his March of the legion Raven Guard destroyer, and I was getting worried. Well, he finally came through in the last couple of days, and we sons of Vulkan can stand proud once more! Good work chief!

Barabbus Sogolon – Unification Era Astartes – IV, VIII, VI: Barabbus completed has first vow, of two unification marines nice and early. Sadly his second pledge, a nice looking early space wolf, went unpainted so we lost our tenth pledge completion. Still, some really nice work on his Unification era project, and I’m excited to see more.

The Missing: Assumed to be piloting a Sicaran Battle tank with advanced Raven Guard stealth capabilities.

Reyner – Iron Warriors (Loyalist) – IV: Dude, I really want to see this tank now! It should be named ‘Ghost of Iron’ too biggrin.png.

Well, that’s it guys. Thank you all for a really enjoyable December, and a great way to end 2014. Now I’m off to finish painting Vulkan..

Kor’Vesh

Archived