Casual 30K Hobby Challenge - Month 4 - December

Kor'Vesh

December – Week two

December’s challenge has continued to progress strongly, even if things have been a little quieter in the last few days. Everyone is chipping in, and there are some very nice completions. The heresy train really does keep on rolling. I’m excited to see January’s challenge already, as this momentum combined with the our member’s Christmas presents should make for some great hobby progress.

For now though we must focus on the end of 2014 – let’s have a look at the teams:

The Traitors - followers of Horus - the heretics, followers of the warp (6 members)

Brother Vidus – The IVth legion astartes, Iron Warriors: A Sicaran and two medusas

Gizur – The XVIth legion astartes, Word Bearers: Land Raider Achilles

Chaplain Mortis – The XIIth Legion astartes, World Eaters: 3 man command squad

Raktra – The XIth Legion Astartes, Beserkers of Uran: Dorran Kldier – Special Character

Der_H – The IIIrd Legion Astartes, Emperor’s Children: 5 man melta support squad and a Contemptor

*NEW MEMBER*

Thunor’s Hammer – Alt Heresy, The Infernal Guard: 1 Praetor and a Contemptor

The Loyalists - beloved of the Emperor - the loyal sons (9 members)

StruManChu – The VIIth legion astartes, Imperial Fists: 10 Breachers and a Predator Executioner

Castiel – The XVIIIth legion astartes, Salamanders: 5 Breachers and a Raven Guard Destroyer

Kor’Vesh – The XVIIIth legion astartes, Salamanders: 2 Pyroclasts and a Praetor

Barabbas Sogolon – The VIIIth and IV legion astartes, Unification Era (loyalists): Pledge 1: 2 marines. Pledge 2: 1 marine.

Reyner – The IVth Legion astartes, Loyalist Iron Warriors: Sicaran

Jaspcat – The XIIth Legion astartes, Loyalist World Eaters: Pledge 1: Chaplain. Pledge 2: 10 Assault Marines

LionOfJudah – The VIIth Legion astartes, Imperial Fists – Iron Fists: 10 Tactical Marines, a Fire Raptor and Moritat

Deathspectresgt7 – The VIIIth Legion Astartes, Loyalist Night Lords: 1 Marine

Jeremy1391 – The XIXth Legion Astartes, Raven Guard: Kaedes Nex and a 10 man Veteran tactical squad

So it is now six Vs nine – but we’ve had interest from Keith and Scribe of Khorne. Fire Golem will break any day now too biggrin.png

Current scores

We’ve had a lot of pledges completed so far, though both Jaspcat and Barabbas Sogolon have pledged again so, their completed vows don’t count towards the pledge score yet. This week though we’ve seen completions from Gizur for the traitors, and Jeremy1391 and Kor’Vesh (I’ll prove it when I have day light!). Lots more models are complete too, even if vows are still in progress.

Pledges – Traitors 1 – Loyalists 2

Score – Traitors 17 – Loyalists 37

So the loyalists maintain their lead, but we’ve seen strong progress from both sides. Impressively enough all 37 loyalist points are from infantry, so we have lots of models completed already this December.

Progress

Twelve points scored for the Traitors this week, thanks to Gizur and Brother Vidus. Gizur completed his vow by painting a fantastic Achilles alpha, featuring a decorative Ultramarine corpse and some heretical scripture. It’s another great addition to his force, and another strong showing in the challenge. Brother Vidus has completed his Sicaran and base coated his first Medusa. Hazard stripes and silver abound on this great tank, and I suspect his pledge will be completed by the months end. Great work!

While no other traitor models have been completed we have seen progress on Der_H’s IIIrd legion contemptor, as well as a nice tease of a forthcoming Rogue Trader era landspeeder. Thunor’s Hammer also joined the challenge, pledging a praetor and contemptor for his lava adorned Infernal Guard.

Jeremy1391 lead the loyalists this week, completing a ten man veteran tactical squad for the Raven Guard and Kaedes Nex. His pledge is complete, and really impressive, simply due the subtle grey tones used to capture the covert nature of the XIXth. LionOfJudah also made a huge contribution, completing 10 tactical marines and a moritat for his Iron Fist Imperial Fists. This is a really characterful project, using Iron Hands bits to build a brutal, technological and unique Imperial Fists force. It’s a great job, and worth checking out his plog here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/289845-starting-my-iron-fists/

Lion just has a Fire Raptor to go for his pledge. Furthermore, I’ve managed to finish my Praetor and Pyroclasts for the Salamanders! I (Kor’Vesh) had some great feedback on my WIP pics guys- thanks a lot, as it really helped me finish things off. I will prove my completion once I have some light, but I feel happy now that I have regained my honour! StruManChu, a champion of the loyalist cause in the past couple of months, confirmed that his pledge of ten breachers and a predator is built and undercoated… we await more progress with excitement. Barabbas Sogolon has also added another unification era marine to his pledge, this time a characterful VIth legion conversion. Finally, Jaspcat confirmed the completion of 4 of his World Eater assault marines – brutal, but thankfully loyal.

Reyner’s fabled Sicaran remains MIA… tongue.png

Great work everybody. Things are a little asymmetrical in terms of vows, but the completions from both sides have been really impressive. The big question now is how many of us can pledge more models to our completed work? I’m certainly weighing up a bold contribution for the Christmas holidays…

Keep watching, supporting, vowing and encouraging guys!

Kor’Vesh

Careful boys... Don't rush your centrepiece... tongue.png

Seriously though... I'd leave it till January. You're both doing great stuff, and clearly have mad skillz, but I gave myself three weeks solid to do Angron as part of my vow in September or October, and I could have easily taken longer. So don't rush!

Anyway! Once again, this month has been insane with work, and with the added time sink that is Christmas stuff, I've barely had a chance to do anything (more than my March of Legions guy)... Which is a shame, because everything I've seen from you guys so far this month is outstanding. So much goodness!

But! Progress in the form of having 20 minutes to undercoat everything yesterday! I've managed to do some stuff! Yay!

gallery_67188_8872_1708318.jpg

Will post more as and when I get stuff done.

I've ordered Vulkan and a Spartan. But I'll be cutting him up (eek). Unfortunately it seems UPS have lost it but ForgeWorld have already sent out a replacement (again, top response from those guys).

On to the pledge, my Contemptor core body is almost painted, other than trim. Praetor is doing well.

Well here are my finished guys. The pictures aren't my best, but I'm a bit short on time right now.

First up the Praetor:

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad231/KorVesh/16a941fb-f2e8-42a8-b181-db4155e77082_zps18599826.jpg

This guy is meant to be kitted out with a dragonscale storm shield, paragon blade, and the mantle. The shield arm is actually magnetised though so that I can give him a side arm in smaller games (this guy will actually feature in my 1k list - trust me its a good idea...). The archaeotech pistol is too nice not to use on a model.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad231/KorVesh/8346bed4-fef1-46f4-922d-9bd64804a56b_zps645979fd.jpg

Then the last two pyroclasts:

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad231/KorVesh/77899352-bb1e-4387-bc71-e7b32675234b_zps79425015.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad231/KorVesh/3cc44a39-0200-4273-adb8-ba4253ef19b3_zps0df87b7d.jpg

These guys are definately better with something in the off-hand.

StruManChu - don't worry, I'm not taking Vulkan lightly. I guess I'll need the best part of 4 days on him in truth. I'd be unlikely to find that time in any month, but I might get it over the Christmas holidays... there is a chance at least. So even though I only have 2 weeks, I might have the days free to complete him. I'm not vowing straight away though, I'll start him off and see how I feel. If I do get going I'll be sure to learn how to take some good photos! I wouldn't rush that model for any reason, don't worry!

Castile- highlighting black just depends on how you want to go. I use PP Coal Black for building up highlights as I dig the blue/ cooler tones of the black spectrum.

As for my Fire Raptor painting.... Ugh, I've not been able to airbrush as our weather here is a cold and winters mix..: took the brushes to those HUGE flat surfaces last night and after 3 hours basically got things nowhere IMHO. Sooooo.... I am praying for a warmish day as I want this beast to look good and recognize I am going to need some of that even spray on this beast.

Thanks Jaspcat, hugely appreciated. Excited to see more of those assault marines.

@Lionofjudah - if you feel like painting the raptor isn't going to happen this month with the weather we could swap your pledge for something worth the same score. Ideally another vehicle really - have you got a contemptor waiting? If this will help you complete something that would otherwise be prevented by the weather let me know. This is a casual challenge after all!

Give me 4 months and I should have matched you first months vow Atia! biggrin.png

biggrin.png good news Brother Kor'Vesh, next month is a Salamanders month, so i'll either do 4 Pyroclasts or 9 Firedrake Terminators tongue.png (or both :Q???)

Archived