Got Exterminatus and the WD:)

Pascalnz

I don't understand why GW does such broken stuff. It doesn't make sense. 2 VVs with free power weapons/claws is insane. Then in that same formation there's a stern guard squad with free combi-all. The only tax is a raven that needs to transport the stern guard, which might not be optimal, but it's a good unit for a skies of fury thing with loads of plasma / melta. This is insane. Detachments and formations letting you play the army you want with a cool rule or two is fine, but a 400 point gift is just utterly unbalanced. The 3 raven 3 tac is bad enough, but at least it's expensive due to composition, so not many people will take it. But so much free stuff is just stupid. As somebody else mentioned, I'd feel guilty for using that (except in a tourney, then anything goes...you bring Paskunisher and 3 wyverns?...fine msn-wink.gif )

The FT detachment is nice though, I'd rather have +1I, and it still has a 1 troop tax (flamer tacs I guess smile.png ), but it lets you run loads of jumpers and I like that! That is what I'll use most of the whole book, unless I somehow end up playing competitively in a format that allows any of the broken formations. In that case nothing is sacred, everything is permitted smile.png

Does the FT detachment give anything to units that already have Rage when a 10+ is rolled? 10 in 2d6 is what, 1/6?

For all comers +1I is nicer. Against low-I, high-count armies (nids, orks, guard), 1/6 Rage wins the day.

PS: Thanks Pascalz for sating our thirst!!

Well this is just the buff to vanguard veterans I cannot ignore!

I started building/painting these guys over 2 years ago before the power weapon changes and now with a small overhaul I think I will have to devote some time to finish them!

gallery_48822_4461_1280310.jpg

one thing to remember however, is that those vv's do not get +1 ini of charging.... which is actually a fairly big loss. is the chance to have all power weapons all the time, with a heap of storm shields great.... yes:). but it isn't just better in every conceivable way

I don't understand why GW does such broken stuff. It doesn't make sense. 2 VVs with free power weapons/claws is insane. Then in that same formation there's a stern guard squad with free combi-all. The only tax is a raven that needs to transport the stern guard, which might not be optimal, but it's a good unit for a skies of fury thing with loads of plasma / melta. This is insane. Detachments and formations letting you play the army you want with a cool rule or two is fine, but a 400 point gift is just utterly unbalanced. The 3 raven 3 tac is bad enough, but at least it's expensive due to composition, so not many people will take it. But so much free stuff is just stupid. As somebody else mentioned, I'd feel guilty for using that (except in a tourney, then anything goes...you bring Paskunisher and 3 wyverns?...fine msn-wink.gif )

The FT detachment is nice though, I'd rather have +1I, and it still has a 1 troop tax (flamer tacs I guess smile.png ), but it lets you run loads of jumpers and I like that! That is what I'll use most of the whole book, unless I somehow end up playing competitively in a format that allows any of the broken formations. In that case nothing is sacred, everything is permitted smile.png

Does the FT detachment give anything to units that already have Rage when a 10+ is rolled? 10 in 2d6 is what, 1/6?

For all comers +1I is nicer. Against low-I, high-count armies (nids, orks, guard), 1/6 Rage wins the day.

PS: Thanks Pascalz for sating our thirst!!

None of the mentioned detachments and formations come anywhere close to broken. Maybe in a casual setting they might make an impact. But I do not see any of those affect any higher sort of play.

Maybe I'm overreacting...but honestly, if somebody comes and tells me his formation gave him 20 free power swords and 10 free combiplasmas I'd freak out :) I guess the tax is having the sternguard in the raven instead of a pod, and the VVs entering play by regular deepstrike for jumpers, which sucks. Gives you free stuff, makes you play sub-optimally?

"What's that? My tri-raven uber charge formation is too expensive you say? Not with my free power weapons, you schmoes!!!"*

*quad-raven rofl-stompage ensues

It would become a quad-Raven list.

I see that in the quote - ROFL STOMPAGE ENSUES!!!!!!!! :D

Have to say the Flesh Tearers detachment and warlord traits are very good, the relics shamefully not so much, I'm guessing if you use the Flesh Tearers detachment you've got to use the relic list too? So no AP2 sword of cheap quality and pain?

Then again, Librarians are awesome anyway, and how does the "Roll 10 or more on charge and get rage" rule work with units which already have rage?

Considering the huge alpha strike on Storm Ravens, they are on par with other shooty unit's per point. And the multimelta is twin-linked. Amazing vs. Flyrant spam or other flyer lists. Personally not a fan of spamming unit's though, unless your playing in a spammy meta no reason to induce that as it makes for less entertaining games :P

The free power weapons on VV's seem nice, but the discount is kinda deceptive as one would never take that many normally. Nice that they are making as many unit's as possible viable.

Yay Flesh Tearers - also can the van vets be 5 man squads, can the sternguard for that matter in the free-cool-stuff-for-all formation?

I know you could "save" more on freebie goodies with full squads but it'd be more playable at lower points if you can use 5 man squads.

Weee interesting, some very cool things here :)

The free weapons on the VV are not nearly as broken as they sound - at most, they become "good" now. Also, they will not charge before turn 3 (or 2 with the other expensive formation), so there's that drawback as well. :)

Archived