Got Exterminatus and the WD:)

Pascalnz

Or maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. All I can tell you is that I can't ever imagine asking someone to "let" me win. I can see saying "don't bring that list, it's super cuttthroat and I don't want to have that kind of game today." "Let me win" though? What's the point?

The way I understood Tabgoi, was that one player asked him to let the other player win from time to time. Asking "let me win" seems nonsensical indeed.

The Knight I don't use in my group because they think Knights are over powered.  I disagree and have faced a few knight lists without pulling mine out.  I could have used it against him when he fields them, but I choose not to so hopefully everyone else will see that Knights are not overpowered if an outdated codex can handle them.  I have yet to lose to a list that has a knight.  They are a tool, the hand that wields them is what determines how effective it is.

Gaming shop I am welcome (the amount of money I have spent on this hobby I better be), my gaming group is becoming another story apparently.  I could go into details, but that would sound a lot like bragging.  Basically I was told to let other people win, because losing all the time sucks.  I agree with this, I have attempted to lose.  More importantly I have attempted to lose without letting the other player know I was throwing the game (if they knew it would be even worse).  Long story short, attempts to lose have not gone well and people are more upset than ever that I am winning with lists that should not stand a chance.  There is nothing you can do if the other guy chases down your CC beast unit you hung out in the open to get shot at with a unit of his that is important for scoring but stands no chance in close combat and he charges you. 

I help with list building and tactics when asked, but I don't volunteer it so I don't seem condescending, as that would never be my intention.  But you can only do what you can do.  Personally I wish I could get in some games against someone who could beat me consistently.  Facing a better opponent is the only way to improve.  Probably the only reason why I am still allowed around actually.  Since I have been playing them their understanding of the rules has improved dramatically, the games move faster as less things need to be looked up, and even the worst players in our group place in the top half of any local tournament they go to, and the better ones get first and second.  But I guess first place on Saturday is not much consolation if you know you are about to get rolled on Sunday.

It's probably not my place to say, but the people at your game store sound completely pants-on-head. Maybe there's something to this story that you're not seeing? I just... when I hear a story that doesn't make sense unless someone is acting in a way that seems incomprehensible, I assume that I don't have all the facts. Maybe you should try to pin down one of the least evasive dudes and see if you can't get him to tell you what's "really" up.

Or maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. All I can tell you is that I can't ever imagine asking someone to "let" me win. I can see saying "don't bring that list, it's super cuttthroat and I don't want to have that kind of game today." "Let me win" though? What's the point?

Hm, some fine gaming group indeed. I am one of the top dogs in my area, along with the other handful of tournament players, and certainly the most active at the store because I do not have a table at home.

However, I am pretty welcome to play, even against newer or weaker players. In those cases I give them an extra 500 points or so. But even if not, it is fine because I have good advice to give after the game or we were just having fun laughing at my (usually) abysmal dice rolls.

But never ever have I heard someone say 'let me win'. What is the point? You will never learn when I fold my arms and concede Oo

So, back to the point. I finally got the White Dwarf and had a chance to look at the formations therein myself. My thoughts are:

Angel's Wrath Intervention Force: I'm not sure it's really game-changingly good, and I'm not sure it's worth giving up the +1 Initiative on the charge that these units would get for being part of the rest of my army (the Baal Strike Force Detachment is definitely a game-changer), but I do know that it looks hella fun. I will probably try it out at some point - I'm only one assault squad and one vanguard veteran squad short of being able to use it, and I have enough alternate models that if I divide my extant assault squad into two mini squads with melta and flame, I'm good.

Angel's Fury Spearhead Force: This one is probably the best of the bunch and - sadly - the one I'm least likely to be able to use any time soon. I already tend to deploy my tac squads in this way (ie. riding in a stormraven), but I only own two tac squads and one stormraven. Oh, well. It's good to have something to work towards.

Flesh Tearers Blood Rain Strike Force: This? This I will definitely use. Why? Because this is basically my list. I see myself adding a jump HQ, a tac squad, and some sniper scouts as a CAD (for that tasty Objective Secured); the HQ can run with the vanguard vets, my scouts can infiltrate somewhere safe, and the tacs can ride in (you guessed it) the storm raven. The most likely scenario is that the scouts would only have to survive one turn unsupported, which I'm pretty confident they can do. And then my entire list would arrive with all their tasty special rules.

All I need is a vanguard veterans box. I'm probably going to do a duelist sergeant (power sword, pistol), three guys with storm shields and power lances, and either a fist or a thunder hammer on the final guy.

Mephrit Dynasty Resurgance Decurion: I hate them already. Whether I hate them in the fun "I will destroy this unit if it's the last thing I do, and if I kill that last mothercensored.gifer I will call this game a win even if the points say I lose" way or in the not-so-fun "oh, will you look at the time, I guess I'd better get home, good game..." way remains to be seen.

I have 46 and it has those exact same formations..... Published on the 13 and has "Shred 'till they're dead" on the front? Because otherwise its a bit of a rip if they publish the exact same formations across two white dwarfs.

Ha! Seriously? Mine has Smaug on the cover, the Cities of Death Cards, and those formations! Those bastards...

No. Wait. I got them confused. My fault. Completely my fault. There was the Archangels, the Blooded Demi-Company and a Flesh Tearers formation and when I saw "Two BA and One FT" I had a blonde moment and didn't realize they didn't even have the same names.wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Kids, this is what happens when you talk without thinking.

Quick question but what's on the cover of white dwarf 47? 46 has assualt terminators and the hobbit supplement.

I have 46 and it has those exact same formations..... Published on the 13 and has "Shred 'till they're dead" on the front? Because otherwise its a bit of a rip if they publish the exact same formations across two white dwarfs.

Ha! Seriously? Mine has Smaug on the cover, the Cities of Death Cards, and those formations! Those bastards...

Smaug is on the front. The one with the "come at me bro" BA Terminator Sergeant does have a single FT formation in it for those interested...

The formations in the current issue have the "White Dwarf exclusive" badge on it (whether that means they are in SoB: Exterminatus or not I can't yet say) and what is interesting, is that according to the magazine, the two BA formations are supposed to work together. Whilst I'm sure we can do better combos, knowing the synergy of both is cool.

Also, I now have an excuse to paint two more Stormraven! (One in DC colours and one in SG colours, hehe...)

The formations in the WD are not in SOB Exterminatus. 

The formation I am most likely to run right now is the 1 Sternguard, 2 Vanguard adn a Stormraven out of Exterminatus.  400 points of free upgrades, thanks!

The formation I am most likely to run right now is the 1 Sternguard, 2 Vanguard adn a Stormraven out of Exterminatus.  400 points of free upgrades, thanks!

I was speaking of the formations I've already seen. That one does look even better, though!

I just ran this today, it was just as devastating as you would expect.  I was set to table my opponent on turn four, with basically nothing he could have done to stop me.  I was going to lose a couple vanguard marines, and that was it.  It was truly a beautiful sight in action.  I threw in a terminator squad to make use of the locator beacon (sadly you cannot use it to help the vanguards as they have to come in with the raven) and tossed in Mephiston and a Furiouso Libby  to round it out to 1500 points.  Actually I was at like 1300 and I went unbound, but I was confident in what I was putting on the table.  Or should I say what I was holding in reserve.  Also, for this formation under restrictions it states you must use 10 man squads, so its not cheap to field. 

I am now going to look at adding some more storm ravens to my collection.  I have one, but never really used it.  Too many points off the board was my main reason, plus having to skim to deploy troops safely.  But having used one now, and with us having the ability to bring them in turn one, I will definitely be buying at least two more in the next few months.  Right after I figure out how I am going to magnetize the things.  The biggest help we have, and man can this not be understated, is that our missiles are AP 2, and everyone elses storm ravens are AP3.  So we can actually explode vehicles with ours, and they cannot.  With the whole sky fire thing and ability to jink I think the 215 point load out I was using is perfectly priced.  With our CC dominance we can keep the storm ravens in a dedicated tank hunter set up, which costs us nothing over base price.  While I don't believe our codex is broken, it certainly is the match of any army out there with these formations in play.  I REALLY want to pull out the archangel formations now, but we play too small of points for that.

And that list also ended up solving my other problem. 

The player I was going up against was the one who has been creating most of the friction, okay basically all of it.  And I called him out for ignoring his difficult terrain tests and moving his models 4 to 12 inches more that their stated movement.  His basic nid warriors were moving 14 inches thru difficult terrain with no check. Gaunts moving 18".  So I said you can't do that, he started swearing at me and flipping me the bird.  I asked him how that was not cheating, because without those extra inches he would have been bunched up for templates and every unit isolated from one another and he would have been unable to get in firing range on his turn.  General consensus was that he was completely in the wrong, and he was kicked out.  But as his dad runs the Saturday night non-40k gaming night I am probably kicked out of that one.  Kind of sucks as his dad has been collecting minis for 50+ years, so his collection is Awesome and we have fun games. 

And it was my brother asking me to let the other guys in the group win on occasion.  He would never ask me to let him win for two reasons.  First, he loves the battles we have and thinks it makes him a much better player.  Second, he is one of three people to ever beat me one on one in 40k, he does not need to ask.  General consensus was, first time with the new dex, I was going to try and table my opponent.  Everyone understood that.

The biggest help we have, and man can this not be understated, is that our missiles are AP 2, and everyone elses storm ravens are AP3.  So we can actually explode vehicles with ours, and they cannot. 

What are you talking about? Stormstrike missiles of the Grey Knights and Vanilla Marines are AP2 just the same.

Hey guys is the formations in white dwarf 46 or 47? I just bought 46 and there's only the vaguard strike force.

They must be in 47. I bought 46 today and the Vanguard Strike force is also in Exterminatus. I don't see 47 for sale in the electronic format.

Yeah, I couldn't find it on iBooks either. Had to buy it through the Black Library site.

So, I have a pretty good of which formation is which. My question, which formations are in the Exterminatus books as opposed to the WD 47?

I don't remember anything about the Necron formations, but who here cares about those, right?

• The three tacs + three stormravens is WD
  • The two assault squads + one vangaurd veteran squad is WD
  • The big Flesh Tearers formation (stormraven + furioso + death company + assault squad + vanguard veteran squad) is WD

All the others are Exterminatus.

>SNIP<

Angel's Fury Spearhead Force: This one is probably the best of the bunch and - sadly - the one I'm least likely to be able to use any time soon. I already tend to deploy my tac squads in this way (ie. riding in a stormraven), but I only own two tac squads and one stormraven. Oh, well. It's good to have something to work towards.

Flesh Tearers Blood Rain Strike Force: This? This I will definitely use. Why? Because this is basically my list. I see myself adding a jump HQ, a tac squad, and some sniper scouts as a CAD (for that tasty Objective Secured); the HQ can run with the vanguard vets, my scouts can infiltrate somewhere safe, and the tacs can ride in (you guessed it) the storm raven. The most likely scenario is that the scouts would only have to survive one turn unsupported, which I'm pretty confident they can do. And then my entire list would arrive with all their tasty special rules.

>SNIP<

Well, an excuse to buy and paint two more stromravens, and not need to run (Three if I also run Stormwing for a total of 6 flyers).  Ebay, here I come.

As for the FT force,  I agree, heartily.

But the Flesh Tearers one is WD46, while the other two are WD47.

perhaps i can clear this up; there is a Flesh Tearers formation in both issues. 

in issue 46, there is the Flesh Tearers Vanguard Strike Force, which contains:

3 tactical squads

1 assault squad

1 Vanguard squad

1 Furioso Dread

in issue 47, there's the Flesh Tearers Blood Rain Strike Force, which contains:

1 Death Company squad

1 Vanguard squad

1 Assault squad

1 Furioso Dread

1 Stormraven

both issues have 2 Blood Angel and 1 Flesh Tearers formation each, and both are a different set altogether.

It may be prudent to edit the first post of this thread and organize all of the formations based on which book each one is coming from.  We don't need to know point costs or anything, just a guide to which book contains what formation for those that want to know what has the specific formation they wish to field.

just seems there's a fair number of posts that are people being confused as to which publication each of these formations are coming out of.

Archived