Got Exterminatus and the WD:)

Pascalnz

I was upset that Exteminatus sold out in the US in a handful of hours, luckily I got my LGS to hold a copy for me, so rather than waiting until Wednesday night, I will have my copy Friday. I cannot wait to see how these are written. Our DA player is already complaining like you would not believe. Granted he also plays Eldar, so I told him to suck it up.

Can the extra formations be used in tournaments/official games? Or is it just the one in the codex that's allowed?

Depends on your local tournament organizers. Heck, I cannot even use my Imperial knight at my local GW store because they feel the knights are not properly balanced. I painted one for the glory of the BA board, everyone here thinks it looks awesome, have not gotten to use it yet.

Can the extra formations be used in tournaments/official games? Or is it just the one in the codex that's allowed?

These are 100% official.  But certain groups and tournaments (as noted) will provide their own restrictions.  

I think with the way GW have gone, any arbitrary restrictions are really backwards looking and not aligned with how things are going.  Shouldnt matter for your mates.

the tourney's I play at will allow them, make sure yours do as well. there's also been zero play testing on any of these. for instance at least one in 6 games, the spearhead formation isn't going to turn up turn one.... and then what?? the whole build is based around getting a turn one assault and... nope... or if it's built around a turn two assault.... what on earth is on the board keeping you from being tabled?

I think they are legal at official GW events. If an LGS decides to include extra restrictions that is their choice, it does not make all the WD stuff unofficial, it just a case of "my house, my rules".

Our club allows 1 primary detachment and 1 allied detachment OR 1 formation in their tournaments. It is just their choice.

Ultimately anyone can refuse to play against any list. If someone keeps trashing everyone with the same list week after week, he will probably find it hard to get a game after a while.

So the extra formations are really just to play with your mates rather than take on tournaments. If you are a serious player it kinda makes them obsolete(?)

No, they are for all games of WH40k.

But a tournament could ban Scouts if they wanted, so what we are really saying is: "Depends on the Tournament Organizer."

The only limitations I've heard of are stuff like "maximum of X detachments/formations" to keep the army lists and games simpler.

So the extra formations are really just to play with your mates rather than take on tournaments. If you are a serious player it kinda makes them obsolete(?)

No. Theyre 100% legit.  

Tournaments make their own rules.  These are perfectly and 100% legal unless a tournament specifically disallows detachments/formations.

I think they are legal at official GW events. If an LGS decides to include extra restrictions that is their choice, it does not make all the WD stuff unofficial, it just a case of "my house, my rules".

Our club allows 1 primary detachment and 1 allied detachment OR 1 formation in their tournaments. It is just their choice.

Ultimately anyone can refuse to play against any list. If someone keeps trashing everyone with the same list week after week, he will probably find it hard to get a game after a while.

Yeah.  Locally most games allow 2 formations/detachments.

Local club escalation(1k, 1.75K 2.5K) tourney last week allowed full GW rules for formations, supplements, allies, data slates oh and FW stuff too. The winning list included Eldar/Illandan list with Inquisitor, Dark Eldar and Demon allies plus FW units too. If I recall correct he needed 9 books to run the list and game 1 lasted until the end of his player turn, tabled in one player turn ouch!

TBH even if it was limited to a single codex the same guy would win, he is simply a very good player and rarely makes any mistakes or poor choices.

So i keep looking at the two vanguard 1 sternguard raven formation. Being that they all have to be in reserve that leaves about 600 pts, if you only take five man vanguard squads. I am thinking of running Sanguinary Guard, and DC, dante and a priest, two tacs, and a jump pack librarian as well. it comes out to about 2k. I'm just worried there aren't enough things on the field, to do the work they need to do until the Raven and the rest of the formation comes in. Also what good are all those power weapons when they deep strike, and just get shot to death right after. On the other hand, are they just an awesome distraction unit,that on the chance they do not die, they will make an unholy mess. Any thoughts about it Battle Bros

These are 100% official.  But certain groups and tournaments (as noted) will provide their own restrictions.  

I think with the way GW have gone, any arbitrary restrictions are really backwards looking and not aligned with how things are going.  Shouldnt matter for your mates.

Please tell this to the GW stores in northern Illinois.

So i keep looking at the two vanguard 1 sternguard raven formation. Being that they all have to be in reserve that leaves about 600 pts, if you only take five man vanguard squads. I am thinking of running Sanguinary Guard, and DC, dante and a priest, two tacs, and a jump pack librarian as well. it comes out to about 2k. I'm just worried there aren't enough things on the field, to do the work they need to do until the Raven and the rest of the formation comes in. Also what good are all those power weapons when they deep strike, and just get shot to death right after. On the other hand, are they just an awesome distraction unit,that on the chance they do not die, they will make an unholy mess. Any thoughts about it Battle Bros

You could toughen them up quite easily, I plan on giving a couple lightning claws and storm shields. Really quite good value to! A priest wouldn't hurt either

Wait, Chaplains are elites for BA right? So wouldn't that one formation, Mortalis I think, that has a Chaplain and three DC squads have four Elite slots?

Not anymore, no. They're back to HQ. Only Lemartes is an Elite chaplain, and he can only join Death Company squads.

Wait, Chaplains are elites for BA right? So wouldn't that one formation, Mortalis I think, that has a Chaplain and three DC squads have four Elite slots?

Formations don't have a force organisation chart to adhere to, so technically it doesn't have/use any Elite slots. You just take the units described in the formation. Each detachment and formation in your army list is also completely separate from each other, and barring house rules or tournament restrictions, you can take as many detachments and formations in your army list as you like, as long as you fulfill the requirements of each.

E.g. a formation could have 5 units with the HQ battlefield role and 20 units with the Troops battlefield role included, and if you want to use it together with a Combined Arms Detachment, you'll still need the minimum 1 HQ and 2 Troops for that detachment and could still take the optional 1 HQ and 4 Troops in it.

Please tell this to the GW stores in northern Illinois.

Dude, sorry to hear that. I find it INFURIATING that LGS dont facilitate this.  I know they do in the UK.  If I was in your situation, id write to the head of US to let them know that they sell a product that you are prevented from using in their stores.  Get some pressure from above. 

Not anymore, no. They're back to HQ. Only Lemartes is an Elite chaplain, and he can only join Death Company squads.

ah, okay. So side note, can they be taken as Warlords? I ask because I do not have the current Codex. Or exterminatus.

Archived