Got Exterminatus and the WD:)

Pascalnz

Hello to all,

as this seems to be the BA formations thread now...I seem to be reading in this thread that you can add units to formations and have those units benefit from the same rules? For example, the FT formation found in WD47 seems to indicate that it is restricted to the 5 specific units. My understanding is that adding a HQ to that formation is not possible or that it would not benefit from the special rules in the formation.

Could one of you clear that up?

Essentially, any formation that does not have an HQ must either be the ally of an army that consists of at least 1HQ 2Troops, or...

Actually before I say that, can it be Unbound so all you have is the Formation and then a single HQ in a separate detachment by itself?

I think it's that a Formation must be attached to an army that includes at least one Detachment (which can't be an Allied Detachment, because they can only be attached to another Detachment). At the moment all Detachments start with 1 HQ and 2 Troops, and may include something else (such as the Baal Strike Force's bonus/mandatory 1 Elites). I don't know of any alternate Detachments that aren't based on the 1 HQ 2 Troops skeleton.

Speaking of GW...

This new white dwarf was my fist ever white dwarf and it was...interesting my brother and I play The Lord of the rings game so the free hobbit stuff was nice and most of the actual magazine was just showing off the new terminators. The battle report caught my attention though. Just looking at the armies, Jesus man these guys were pretty horrible like okay run Seth but a non jump pack assualt squad instead of DC come on man. Devastators with heavy bolters and plasma cannons, tacticals with flamers and ageing off against the new nids you were expecting to fight... The heavy bolter. I mean most of this stuff is what newbies learn when they start space marines, it's almost a rite of passage. These guys don't wven know there own game. The facepalm for me was when they said the malaceptor was something to be feared on the battlefield! That made me almost drop my coke all over the sofa because if the amount of laughing it gave me. It like these guys don't even know how to play there own game...

Also bummer to hear that the sternguard one is in exterminatus which is like $60 ugh.

Speaking of GW...

This new white dwarf was my fist ever white dwarf and it was...interesting my brother and I play The Lord of the rings game so the free hobbit stuff was nice and most of the actual magazine was just showing off the new terminators. The battle report caught my attention though. Just looking at the armies, Jesus man these guys were pretty horrible like okay run Seth but a non jump pack assualt squad instead of DC come on man. Devastators with heavy bolters and plasma cannons, tacticals with flamers and ageing off against the new nids you were expecting to fight... The heavy bolter. I mean most of this stuff is what newbies learn when they start space marines, it's almost a rite of passage. These guys don't wven know there own game. The facepalm for me was when they said the malaceptor was something to be feared on the battlefield! That made me almost drop my coke all over the sofa because if the amount of laughing it gave me. It like these guys don't even know how to play there own game...

Also bummer to hear that the sternguard one is in exterminatus which is like $60 ugh.

Yeah you should've seen the pacific rim themed battle they had.

The armies were like 7 Riptides against a smattering of Tyranid monstrous creatures. To say the least, after turn 2, just about all the bugs were gone and the player threw his Riptides into cc with the remaining bugs to be "cinematic" and not you know, because they realized how fething overpowered they are.

I'm sure they know, but just play dumb at times. They do have to sell a product, ya know.

ok...so going back to my initial question. I could take the flesh tearers blood rain strike force and add astorath to the DC and astorath would not gain rage or counter-attack/fearless as per the formation special rules but he could arrive with them?(provided he is selected in my main detachment which will be the baal strike force from the codex)

ok...so going back to my initial question. I could take the flesh tearers blood rain strike force and add astorath to the DC and astorath would not gain rage or counter-attack/fearless as per the formation special rules but he could arrive with them?(provided he is selected in my main detachment which will be the baal strike force from the codex)

That's my understanding.

In larger games I'll be taking that with the assault from deepstrike 3 storm ravens formation. (Can't remember the name).

Wreck face.

The funny thing is, and I am not sure if the still do this mind you, but back when I first started playing they used to run each battle report in the White Dwarf Magazines at least three times and often six.  They would keep track of each and take pictures of each and then use the best one that fit the article they were trying to write.  They mentioned this in one of the Q&A sections.  I think they mentioned one report they had to run it like eight times to get the side they wanted to win to actually win.  It would of course be a lot easier to just make up the report, but back then at least everyone at the studio was more focused on the game than the painting.  Seems now the painting is a lot more important.  Almost every year an editor would tackle making a new army, post some stuff on how it was faring.  There was even a thing about building an army up from scratch on 50 bucks a month.  White dwarf used to be properly cool, now I just grab it when it has something I need.  But back in the day, you could not wait for each one to see what they were throwing out there.  Making terrain from scratch, lots of cool things, not just a platform to push the latest and greatest GW minis.

Sorry, a bit slow with thold WD/Visions thing - is this what I need to buy for the formations not in the supplement?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/287459-warhammer-visions-index/?p=3888431

No, not Visions. You are after White Dwarf issue 47 (the weekly version).

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/White-Dwarf-Issue-47-ENG?_requestid=8612752

Archived