Road to "Gladiator: Escalation"

Morticon

Not to sound like a broken record... but you should really consider giving the lib dread a go smile.png

WKs init5 though sad.png So, wills mash the Libby dread,no?

'quickening' + BSF charge bonus means I6 minimum on the charge. It would also solve all your ork bike star related problems.

Hey guys.  

Well,  That list was tough. 

Ceramite Fellblade :/ 

20 cultists, Crimson Sorc with bling and a warp smith <_< 

Wound up pulling a win vs it though :P 

Will put up batreps if anyone is interested.

Also, then came up against Tristan (Ultima) and his knight/sisters/gk list.   Was really upset about that game.  He played solidly, but, things just didnt go my way.  Will unpack during the batreps as said.  

Last game vs. SW - which was so, so fun.  won that one and wound up in fourth. 

Tristan in 1st place (undefeated!), Nigel in 2nd, a new marine player in 3rd and me in 4th.

I can safely say we all want to hear about it.

Did you underestimate the competition slightly?

I knew what I was up against in turn one, since we played highest rank vs highest rank.  That meant I had to play smart rather than head on.  Game one came down to 1wound for the draw. 

The game vs. sister/gk/knight I feel i should have taken.  Especially considering I seized, and took out the imperial knight Achyron turn one!! 

He got invisibility which allowed his DK to wade through my Vanvets, who had lost 3 of the 5 shields to shooting from the psigatt and incinerator <_< 

I then failed 2 of 3 saves in combat the next round too. From that point, it just waded through the rest of my army (at 1500).

Opponent played smart too i think - but that invisy combo with the vanvets going down cheaply meant that one unit took out too much. Also, took out stuff in combat at inopportune times, so firing at him wasnt an option.  Also,   and here's where i think i failed, i went for the objectives and split my forces, not allowing enough to shoot at the DK. 

I really enjoyed the other games, though. 

My old Razor squads were 160 for 5 ASM and a flamer.  These guys are 165 for 5 and a heavy flamer. I like the bolters too, since they have a turn not doing anything.

They're solid as both distractions and as objective grabbers and the las/plas brings some much needed AP2 to the list on a fast, sturdy platform.  

Id say a solid 7 in terms of what it brings to the table tactically. 

I wouldn't want to go off chasing stuff with only a 5 man tac squad; keep them in the tank until the absolute need of disembarking them correct?

Do you favor just 5 man ASM melta pod over the complete 10 man and combating them when they arrive?  I see you can focus more melta shots in your smaller size units, and its meant to destroy something first then most likely die in return.

I see the inclusion of the vanguard is this purely from your understanding of the meta in your tournament scene; or is this unit actually a step up from other elite slots?  I was thinking of bringing them without JP and riding in LR or SR with character (ministar).  I'm hesitant because I am not sure whats better at getting around JP or the massive tank / flyer.

I like the addition of the LotD, boy did I not see how much we lack ignore cover.  Their ability to do that and get close when they arrive can be crucial against certain armies.  I will take that from your book and add it into mine.

I will tinker with a list I am building for an upcoming 1850 tournament. 

I wouldn't want to go off chasing stuff with only a 5 man tac squad; keep them in the tank until the absolute need of disembarking them correct?

Thats 100% right- i wont get them out unless their firepower is needed.

Do you favor just 5 man ASM melta pod over the complete 10 man and combating them when they arrive?  I see you can focus more melta shots in your smaller size units, and its meant to destroy something first then most likely die in return.

Well, a small change, nothing monstrous, but...what i found was that you must choose to combat them before you even deploy.  Before rolling for warlord traits.  Its not a bad idea, but, id rather have the 4 focussed melta.  But, yeah, they are "melta-cide" purely there to grab first blood, and do hard damage.  I will play with the idea of a bigger squad, but will then likely throw in a combat weapon of some kind, thereby losing an additional melta.

I see the inclusion of the vanguard is this purely from your understanding of the meta in your tournament scene; or is this unit actually a step up from other elite slots?  I was thinking of bringing them without JP and riding in LR or SR with character (ministar).  I'm hesitant because I am not sure whats better at getting around JP or the massive tank / flyer.

Bit of both! Definitely because of my meta.  Defs, defs!  But, they did take incoming fire, and i think i need an ablative wound or two somehow.  Maybe a tanky captain on a bike.  I really like the vanvets on account of the weapons, and more importantly the 3++.   They're currently my go-to jump unit.

Archived