Your first BL novel

TerraZero20

I started with Inferno! and Warhammer monthly, and the Graphic Novels....my first book was...which ever they published first, for the first couple of years, I bought and read, everything. I guess the most memorable would be Gilead's Blood, followed closely by The Last Chancers trillogy.

EDIT: A quick skim through my books indicates that both Trollslayer and First and Only were the oldest, so Trollslayer was *probably* my first.

Cheers,

Jono

The first Space Wolf Omnibus by William King. I knew nothing about Warhammer before reading the books. My best friend recommended it to me because I'm a huge mythology nerd (especially Norse mythology). What can I say? Was hooked right from the start and had a huge grin on my face throughout reading it. Since then my life has never been the same. Heh. 

Horus Rising. I never knew of the heresy or even Warhammer lol. I was in shock when Horus fell believe me.

My first reply to this got deleted by [-REDACTED BY IMPERIAL AUTHORITY-], so I'll go again. laugh.png

I envy this. When I got into the hobby as a wee nosepicker, I was introduced to the fluff by the many rulebooks of the time. The Horus Heresy was presented as a simple history in those books: 'The Emperor had a favorite son, he went nuts, died and effectively killed the Emperor. Now it's 10,000 years later.' Much like the codexes of today really.

It of course was simply creating the setting for 40k, and was awesome in its own right, but it would have been so much cooler to come across this history as an elaborate, detailed epic like it is in the Horus Heresy novels. Lucky you. smile.png

But even if I know how the books (generally) end, it's still fun to read them.

Horus Rising. I never knew of the heresy or even Warhammer lol. I was in shock when Horus fell believe me.

My first reply to this got deleted by [-REDACTED BY IMPERIAL AUTHORITY-], so I'll go again. laugh.png

I envy this. When I got into the hobby as a wee nosepicker, I was introduced to the fluff by the many rulebooks of the time. The Horus Heresy was presented as a simple history in those books: 'The Emperor had a favorite son, he went nuts, died and effectively killed the Emperor. Now it's 10,000 years later.' Much like the codexes of today really.

It of course was simply creating the setting for 40k, and was awesome in its own right, but it would have been so much cooler to come across this history as an elaborate, detailed epic like it is in the Horus Heresy novels. Lucky you. smile.png

It's funny: I know exactly what you mean, that we all know the ending basically, so why should we be bothered about the filler years in between? There's definitely a sense of how amazing it would be to stumble upon the series without a preexisting knowledge of the universe, although I do think knowledge of it adds to our readings of the novels. The thought of fresh eyes over those texts is entirely wonderful: so the exploration of so many arcs and narratives is definitely a bonus in the long term as it expands the setting further and further.

It's funny: I know exactly what you mean, that we all know the ending basically, so why should we be bothered about the filler years in between? There's definitely a sense of how amazing it would be to stumble upon the series without a preexisting knowledge of the universe, although I do think knowledge of it adds to our readings of the novels. The thought of fresh eyes over those texts is entirely wonderful: so the exploration of so many arcs and narratives is definitely a bonus in the long term as it expands the setting further and further.

A while back, and I forget the users name, he was in this exact situation, brand new to the fluff via the HH books, he was giving us his reactions and predictions on where he thought the characters/series was heading. It was really cool to see someone experience the hobby like that.

Cheers,

Jono

A while back, and I forget the users name, he was in this exact situation, brand new to the fluff via the HH books, he was giving us his reactions and predictions on where he thought the characters/series was heading. It was really cool to see someone experience the hobby like that.

Cheers,

Jono

If you happen to find it - would love to read that!

Just been reading Tales of Hersey,

+MODERATE SPOILER ALERTS!+

During the section regarding the space wolves and their 'liberation' of a world from Dark Eldar we see how the morality of the astartees is truly depicted, loyal and honest to the cause of saving humanity yet never scared to inflict  their duty on even those they risked their lives to free. 

Also it makes them seem less like space were wolf wannabees and more like an actual, structured, professional fighting force. 

Cheers,

Jono

If you happen to find it - would love to read that!

I remember that. We tried to organize a spoiler-free zone around this kid, keep his experiences "pure." He pretty much disappeared from what I saw or followed. Understandable, as we did kinda flood him with enthusiasm and requests.

Just been reading Tales of Hersey,

+MODERATE SPOILER ALERTS!+

During the section regarding the space wolves and their 'liberation' of a world from Dark Eldar we see how the morality of the astartees is truly depicted, loyal and honest to the cause of saving humanity yet never scared to inflict  their duty on even those they risked their lives to free. 

Also it makes them seem less like space were wolf wannabees and more like an actual, structured, professional fighting force.

Yeah the HH Space Wolves are quite a bit different from Willam King's/Lee Lightner's Space Wolf. Both are fun to read though.

There are some moments that I imagine would be intensely confusing to someone new to the fluff. For instance, when a Chapter ends at someone's name. A cliffhanger for fans, who suddenly go "Oh my God it's Fabulous Bill!" while the uninitiated would wonder why the Chapter suddenly ended with "Hello, Fabious." The latter especially if no further detail of consequence is given.

Some are a lot more noob friendly than others, too. Salamander explains just about everything (what power armor is, who the Emperor is, what gene-seed, Librarians, etc. are) which is tedious for the initiated by a nice guide for the new readers. Other novels assume most if not all of that knowledge is a given, which would be annoying if not indecipherable, circumstances and subject depending.

But still, it's an experience I wish I had smile.png

It was an experience man, I never even knew the models existed until 2 or 3 years after.

Fire caste... was both disapointed that there was considerably less tau and more IG but also satisfied with a crisis suit beating the censored.gif out of a few sentinels... spoilers BTW.

after that... I had tried to read both the Tanith series and the Caiaphas Cain series at the same time... didn't end well

• 3 weeks later...
First black library book was blood angels second omnibus. It was well...alright I guess I was 13 when I first read it so it was kinda boring for me. In fact I didn't read a black library till last year when I the black templar forum convinced me to read helsreach. It's been 5 years.

William Kings space wolf.......which I read over the course of many lunch hours standing in Borders Books in Buchanan street.....then decided to buy the next in the series and now I have a whole cupboard full of BL Books from the Heresy series to Vampire wars which I am currently re reading .....

Im not sure this really counts because I think it was before black library but it was Konrad. 

I remember receiving this (the reprinted Black Library edition) and loved it - it's a great series.

Fond memories of books like into the Maelstrom too...

Archived