Your first BL novel

TerraZero20

Horus Rising. I never knew of the heresy or even Warhammer lol. I was in shock when Horus fell believe me.

My first reply to this got deleted by [-REDACTED BY IMPERIAL AUTHORITY-], so I'll go again. laugh.png

I envy this. When I got into the hobby as a wee nosepicker, I was introduced to the fluff by the many rulebooks of the time. The Horus Heresy was presented as a simple history in those books: 'The Emperor had a favorite son, he went nuts, died and effectively killed the Emperor. Now it's 10,000 years later.' Much like the codexes of today really.

It of course was simply creating the setting for 40k, and was awesome in its own right, but it would have been so much cooler to come across this history as an elaborate, detailed epic like it is in the Horus Heresy novels. Lucky you. smile.png

But even if I know how the books (generally) end, it's still fun to read them.

It's funny: I know exactly what you mean, that we all know the ending basically, so why should we be bothered about the filler years in between? There's definitely a sense of how amazing it would be to stumble upon the series without a preexisting knowledge of the universe, although I do think knowledge of it adds to our readings of the novels. The thought of fresh eyes over those texts is entirely wonderful: so the exploration of so many arcs and narratives is definitely a bonus in the long term as it expands the setting further and further.

A while back, and I forget the users name, he was in this exact situation, brand new to the fluff via the HH books, he was giving us his reactions and predictions on where he thought the characters/series was heading. It was really cool to see someone experience the hobby like that.

Cheers,

Jono

If you happen to find it - would love to read that!

I remember that. We tried to organize a spoiler-free zone around this kid, keep his experiences "pure." He pretty much disappeared from what I saw or followed. Understandable, as we did kinda flood him with enthusiasm and requests.

His name was Lunawolves.

On topic, Trial of the Mantis Warriors. I don't care if you don't like CS Goto, this is one of the best power armored tales ever. Ever.

I started with Heroes of the Space Marines, which is an collection of short stories.  I thought they were all pretty meh so lost interest in Black Library stuff.  Years later (as in about a month ago now) I re-read some whilst bored.  I then went down and ordered the Tome of Fire series of which I am just about to finish the last book, Nocturme.  Must say I still find them a bit meh but until I write something better I wont complain...

• 2 weeks later...

Inquisitor by Ian Watson, Beasts in Velvet by Jack Yeovil. I'm so old sad.png

My memories of 20+ years ago are all bit of a jumble but I think that's my answer too.

The first thing I read with the Black Library brand was probably Inferno! or the first book in the Gotrek and Felix series.

Storm of Iron. I was like 13 and thought it was the best thing ever, especially since I was already beginning to collect Iron Warriors at the time due to the awesome picture in the 3rd Edition Rulebook. It's still probably McNeill's best book, and the one that set all of the stupid tropes that make his books unreadable for me now. But then, I'm pretty jaded.

Space Marine by Ian Watson was the first 40k story I read but the William King stories about Ragnar Blackmane and his Space wolve brothers was the first I really enjoyed. Watson was to long winded and flowery for my taste in his descriptions of things. King was spot on.

• 3 weeks later...

Soace Wolf by William King.

I still remember the ending where they finally face off against a 'real' enemy - some thousand sons. Nearly all of Ragnars squad go down fast and he ends up single handedly saving the day.

Good stuff. I wobder how everyone feels about these older BL tales nowadays (before the epic HH series)

Im not sure this really counts because I think it was before black library but it was Konrad. 

I remember receiving this (the reprinted Black Library edition) and loved it - it's a great series.

Fond memories of books like into the Maelstrom too...

Into the Maelstrom, is that the one that has the guy turned into a Chaos Dread? That story has stuck with me for years and years and years and years.

It is a tie between Malleus and Deathwing. I bought both at the german Games Day centuries ago. I do not count the really horrible translation of the first ultramarine novel. It was a literal translation from english to german *brrrr*

Soace Wolf by William King.

I still remember the ending where they finally face off against a 'real' enemy - some thousand sons. Nearly all of Ragnars squad go down fast and he ends up single handedly saving the day.

Good stuff. I wobder how everyone feels about these older BL tales nowadays (before the epic HH series)

What a book.

The first half about Ragnar going from a human boy to a full SW, probably one of my favourite BL stories ever.

I believe my first BL book was probably Konrad, however it was so long ago it could have been several candidates. I remember Konrad the clearest though so I'll plump for that.

My first 40k book that I can remember was First and Only (although I much prefer Necropolis as a story). I even had it signed by the WD team at the time (Fat Bloke et al) and Dan Abnett and William King.

Archived