Copenhagen Warlords 2015 - the Dark Angels enter the league!

Master Ciaphas

Hail!

Alright - thank you for your comments! I will try to update the army once more. The last player has finally uploaded his list - and lo and behold - it is another Eldar list! *SIGH*

So, this is what I am looking at:

Farseer w. Stone of Anthel-memem

Spirit Seer

10 Dire Avengers (130)

5 Wraithguard

- Wave Serpent w. Star Engines & Matrix (380)

5 Warp Spiders w. Exarch

War Walker w. 2 x Shuriken Cannons

I have no idea how that will play either :-)

Advice?

Faithfully

Master Ciaphas

The dire avengers are on foot so you can shoot them ;) I would ignore the wave serpent because it's wasted shots that can do damage somewhere else. Once the warithgurad are deployed you can also shoot at them. I would suggest that you roll with the punches and take your shots at the easy targets first.

Hail!

Indeed, Lucifer; it seems that is what I must do.

I have also decided on what I will be fielding - so - comment away:

STRIKE FORCE VENDETTA

HQ

Lexicanium Librarian Anomander, power field generator

TROOP

3rd Tactical squad "Raziel"

- 8 Marines w. plasma gun, veteran sgt. w. power axe & meltabombs

- Drop Pod

5th Tactical squad "Damas"

- 5 Marines w. missile launcher

FAST ATTACK

Ravenwing Black Knights

- 5 Knights w. grenade launcher, Huntsmaster w. corvus hammer & meltabombs

Land Speeder Typhoon 

HEAVY SUPPORT

9th Devastator squad "Hestor"

- 8 Devastator marines, 4 missile launchers

Whirlwind artillery tank "Lion's Wrath"

Total: 899 points

So - hopefully - the above will be sufficient to at least pull home a draw or three...

Regards,

Master Ciaphas

I love the list!!!

Deploy Anomander with the Devs and take Divination to give them Prescience. Use them to kill the War Walkers. They are A10, open topped but have a 5++ but should be ok to kill easily. 2x Shuriken Cannons per Walker is a mess of sudo rending shots if they get in range. Whirwind takes care of the Dire Avengers, Black Knights pick targets at your pleasure. Once the Wraithguard deploy get the Black Knights and Dev squad onto them, make sure you stay out of 12" range of their D Cannons.

You have made a really good list vs this Eldar one, looking forward to the batrep.

Thank you, Solrac!

I think the list is OK, and has the potential to be fun to both play and to play against! Hopefully I will meet the Eldar list above on Tuesday and the Ork list later on. 

The first Eldar list has been defaulted against, as I decided that facing an Eldar Farseer on a bike with Mantle of the Laughing God, Spirit Stone who was busy with Malefic powers was beyond my fluff-appreciation, and would detract from my enjoyment of the game. So, 15-0 against that list. Unless, of course, if the Eldar player relents, and chooses another psychic discipline, that is. 

Regards,

Master Ciaphas

And thus endeth that streak. After a dispararing remark from my side about the sillyness of Thunderwolves and their similarity to Ewoks & Jar Jar Binks in the Star Wars universe, the store manager thought it best that I ceased my participation in the league, as I was "insulting the other players" - and evidently him as well, as he also plays Space Wolves. 

Silly, really.

Still, thank you all for your advice! 

Regards,
Master Ciaphas

Hail!

Well - what happens now is that I will play the game against the Eldar player with the list here on page 2, and the other two battles I was supposed to play will be defaulted to a 15-0 result to the respective players. Such is life.

I will naturally make sure to take pictures and to write a wee report about the battle tomorrow, but after that, this thread can be locked and closed :-)

Regards,

Master Ciaphas

Hail frateris!

So, this will be the last of the updates for the Copenhagen Warlords League 2015. I took on the Eldar yesterday evening, and a humbling experience it was. My opponent has played W40k for about 4 months, and though I had the benefit of experience, he had the benefit of playing Eldar, which is a much better advantage!

His list was:

Farseer w. witchblade & Stones of Anthel’an, Ghosthelm

Spiritseer w. witchstave

Warlock w. witchblade

10 Dire Avengers

5 Warp Spiders

5 Wraithguard w. D-flamers

Wave Serpent w. crystal targeting matrix & star engines

Warwalker w. 2x Shuriken Cannons

His Farseer got Princeps of Deceit, and for his psychic powers, he pretty much got the entire range of Eldar powers: Doom, Guide, Fortune, Executioner, Enervate/Embolden, Conceal etc. I got the Warlord trait Well Prepared and rolled “Demolitions” as my extra mission…sadly there were no buildings to demolish. For my Divination power, I got Forewarning, which was brilliant as I already had a power field generator on my librarian…

Mine was as above.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/IMG_2571_zpsde6c41be.jpg

We opted to play Maelstrom: Spoils of War. He won the roll for choice of deployment zone and first turn, which he took.

In the center of his line, he deployed his Wave Serpent and Warwalker. On the left flank, he deployed the 10 Dire Avengers with the Farseer & Warlock. The Wraithguard went into the Serpent with the Spiritseer.

I deployed 6th squad Damas on the right on top of objective 4, the Black Knights in the center behind a large ruin. To their immediate left was the Typhoon. The Devastators & Anomander deployed in a ruin on the left flank, and anchoring the line was the Whirlwind behind a large ruined wall, out of sight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/IMG_2573_zpsc59981fb.jpg

He started his turn skimming, star-engining the Serpent onto my half, behind the Devastators, and moved his Dire Avengers & Warwalker into range of them as well. He managed to get off all his powers, so his Dire Avengers were first Guided and then Concealed. He perils on the Guide, but ignores it thanks to his Ghosthelm. My Devastators were promptly Doomed as well. My saves were what they were in the shooting phase, and in the end I lost 5 Devastators.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/IMG_2572_zpsda503040.jpg

So – my turn! Time to strike back. The Black Knights and the Typhoon move into range of the Wave Serpent, while 3rd squad Raziel drop in behind the annoying Warwalker. Anomander tries to cast Prescience and succeds with one sole 4+. My opponent promptly cancels it with his 9 power dice, rolling four 6’s. On that note, shooting commences…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/IMG_2574_zps9e463ad3.jpg

The Typhoon fires at the Wave Serpent, hitting with both Krak missiles, scoring one penetrating, which gets downgraded to a glancing hit. The Black Knights fire their plasma talons, scoring one glancing hit, but the Serpent makes its cover save. Squad Damas fire their missile launcher, hits, but fail to do anything. The Devastators fire their two remaining missile launchers, hit with one, which fails to do anything. The Whirlwind fires at the Dire Avengers midfield in a forest, and score a direct hit, hitting 7 of the aliens. I score four wounds, all of which he promptly saves. It is now up to squad Raziel to finish the Warwalker, and with 13 bolters and 2 plasma shots in the rear, I should have a fair chance of wrecking it – buut, the plasma gunner starts by overheating and killing himself. The rest of the squad score 2 glancing hits, one of which is saved by the energy shield carried by the Warwalker. So…all my shooting in phase 1, has resulted in a sole hull point being taken off the Wave Serpent.

His Warp Spiders appear, and deep strike behind the Whirlwind. Had they scattered a mere 2” in ANY direction, they would either have been off the table or in a mishap. The Wraithguard & Spiritseer disembark next to my Devastators and Anomander. His Wave Serpent then boosts back across the table to his table half, while his Dire Avengers move towards squad Raziel. His Warwalker follows suit towards squad Raziel.

His powers are successfully manifested once more, the Dire Avengers being Guided, Fortuned, Concealed, and he also casts Executioner on squad Raziel, killing none, however. Squad Raziel is attempted Doomed, but Anomander denies it.  

Shooting commences; the Warp Spiders score 3 glancing hits and 4 penetrating hits on the Whirlwind, destroying it, and scoring First Blood. The Wraithguard fire their D-flamers at the Devastators, scoring 20 hits and 11 wounds of which 6 are instant death, but in a miracle of power field saving throws, only the sergeant and a missile launcher marine die. The Dire Avengers, Warwalker and the Wave Serpent fire all they have at squad Raziel, killing all but a sole marine, who wisely decides to leg it back towards his own lines.

Anomander moves toward Objective 1 with the last surviving Devastator Marine, while the Black Knights move into rapid fire range of the Wraithguard. The Typhoon moves towards the Warwalker. The lexicanium’s attempt to manifest Prescience fails, as I cannot roll a 4+ on 5 dice. In the shooting phase, the Black Knights hit the Wraithguard with a Rad Grenade, and rapid fire their plasma talons. They hit 5 of their 8 twin-linked shots and wound all five. The Eldar makes 3 cover saves, losing only two Wraithguard. Squad Damas is not in range of anything. The Devastator Marine tries to snap fire his missile launcher at the warwalker, but misses. The Typhoon hits and glances the Warwalker twice…which makes both invulnerable saves. The surviving member of squad Raziel and the Drop Fire fire at the Dire Avengers, killing the Warlock who has unwisely moved to the front and who fails his Look Out, Sir!, as well as two Dire Avengers.

The Black Knights need to roll and 8 to charge the Wraithguard, and I reckon that fortune favours the bold. They declare their charge, but the Wraithguard overwatch with their horrible flamers, and promptly score 5 hits, of which 5 wound, 4 being instant death. Luckily, Anomander is right next to them, and his power field generator wards four of them, killing only one…but the charge fails, as they now need 10” rather than 8”.

The Dire Avengers move back into the midfield, and the Wave Serpent skims across to the right flank. The Warwalker moves about a bit midfield, while the Warpspiders warp jump behind the Typhoon, losing one member in the warp. The Eldar Farseer casts Guide, Doom, Fortune and Executioner. The Executioner kills one of the Black Knights, while Doom is Denied by Anomander.

In the shooting phase, the Warp Spiders glance the Typhoon, who jinks the remaining hits. The Wraithguard score 9 hits on the Black Knights with their flamers and four hits on the Typhoon, but luckily fail to do any damage to either. The Dire Avengers shoot at Anomander and kills him and the Devastator Marines, gaining Slay The Warlord.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Master_Ciaphas/IMG_2575_zps61f2e8d9.jpg

Deciding that assault is the way forward, the Wraithguard approach the Black Knights, who promptly overwatch, score 4 hits and wipe out the squad. The Warp Spiders then charge the Black Knights, fails to do any wounds, and the Black Knights fail to hit at all. The Warp Spiders hit-and-run, jumping into the ruins in the middle of the field. The Black Knights consolidate towards the Dire Avengers.

The Typhoon moves forward midfield, while the Black Knights move towards the Dire Avengers. Squad Damas misses the Wave Serpent in front of them, but the Typhoon hits twice with its’ snap shots and finally the Warwalker is wrecked, granting me Monster Slayer (kill a vehicle…). The Black Knights fire a Rad Grenade at the Avengers, hitting. Assaulting, they lose 1 to overwatch. The Huntmaster challenges the Farseer, as I think that 4 attacks, S5 against his now T2 Farseer has a decent chance of getting me Slay the Warlord. I fail utterly, as the Farseer hits and wounds the Huntmaster, and I fail the save. Naturally. Another Black Knight is also felled in combat by the Dire Avengers, but the last remaining Knight stays in combat.

The Warp Spiders jump out behind the Warwalker, while the Serpent stays put. The Farseer casts Guide, Doom & Fortune. The Warp Spiders bring down the Typhoon, while the Wave Serpent kills a single member of squad Damas. In close combat, the Farseer misses the Black Knight, who fails to hit the Farseer at all. The Dire Avengers bring down the last Knight in close combat.

At this point I concede the game. I have a Drop Pod, 1 bolter marine from squad Raziel and 4 marines from squad Damas left, facing a Farseer, a fully operational and armed Wave Serpent, 4 Warp Spiders and 8 Dire Avengers. The game was pretty much up. The end score was Eldar: 5VP  Dark Angels: 3VP, giving him a 12-9 victory. As I am no longer in the league, my opponent asked if it was OK for him to report it as a 20-0 game, which I thought was not a problem.

From this game I have learned that Eldar are still very, very hard; and the list I faced was not even that powerful. My dice were not with me at all, and who can guard against that? Also, my initial plan was for the Black Knights to hunt the Warwalker and stay out of range of the Eldar, but that plan went pretty much awry, as I had not planned on the Wave Serpent being able to move 48” in one turn and still fire for full effect with its weapons. Horrible stuff.

Anyhow, I hope that you have enjoyed the reports and the pictures. Now I will off to actually paint those wickedly handsome Knights!!!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

Bad luck on that match up. I for one have enjoyed the well-written batreps and pics.

Still can't get my head around you being thrown out of the tournament to be honest. I think that reflects badly on the organisers if they can't deal more appropriately with some good-natured banter. What's done is done I suppose.

Cheers

I

Eldar are a hard act to compete with I take an ally, some small Legion of the damned squads armed to the teeth with melta

7th with the boost to 4+ jink your thinking OK but Eldar  can get a buff to +1 then you've got the down grade to glance from the serpent shield + it can Turbo 36"

You've then got all the ignores cover / rending + AP2/3

Hail!

Yes, I agree entirely. With regard to the Wave Serpent, I guess I was seduced by the idea that I "only" needed 3 glancing hits to wreck it. And with a grand total of 3 krak missiles, 2 twin-linked krak missiles and 5 twin-linked plasma talons, I thought that my chances were not entirely poor at doing just that. Sadly, I was mistaken.

And perhaps, had I moved against the Warwalker and the Dire Avengers to start with - as I intended - I could have kept the Wave Serpent at bay. Such is life.

Eldar have ever been my bane. When I first started playing 40k, I kept a tally of my wins-draws-losses against them. I stopped when it reach 11-13-51. That Eldar have ONLY gotten better since 3rd edition, when I started, has not helped. 

Regards,

Master Ciaphas

Thank you! 

So - well - the Ork player wrote me this morning, offering a "replacement" game, to test the armies. Though I am not in the league any more, I am tempted to test the 1st Legion against the foul Orks. 

I am, naturally, worried about his "deathstar" of Ork 7 Bikers with Painboy and Warboss with powerklaw and Lucki Stikk, both on bikes as well. However, with a bit of luck, the Whirlwind, Drop Pod & Black Knights can combine fire and bring them down in one or two turns?

What say you; should it be given a try?

Regards,

Master Ciaphas 

Archived