Death Guard 2k List - Fluffy First Timer

Father Mehman

Alright gentlemen, and ladies, I have been bitten by the 30k bug. Yes, it's true. You all have swayed a Fantasy and 40k player over to the dark side and I thank you for it. Well, with that out of the way, let's have a look at what I've gotten so far. Please, for the love of the Ruinous Powers, hack this one to death as my future Forge World orders depend on it.

Strike Force Janor (I'm not sure if they used Strike Forces or not)

[RoW: The Reaping]

HQ

Praetor. . . 210

Iron Halo

Paragon Blade

Master-crafted

Archaeotech Pistol

Digital Lasers

Rad Grenades

Legion Centurion. . . 130

Chaplain

Artificer Armour

Refractor Field

Plasma Pistol

Rad Grenades

Troops

Tactical Squad 1 [20]. . . 340

Artificer Armour

Power Fist

Melta Bombs

Combat Blade [20]

Nuncio-vox

Legion Vexilla

Tactical Squad 2 [20]. . . 350

Artificer Armour

Power Weapon

Plasma Pistol

Melta Bombs

Combat Blade [20]

Nuncio-vox

Legion Vexilla

Elites

Apothecarion Detachment. . . 100

Apothecary [2]

Augury Scanner [2]

Dreadnought Talon. . . 185

Dreadnought 1

Flamestorm Cannon

Chem-munitions

Siege Wrecker

Meltagun

Armoured Ceramite

Rapier Weapons Battery. . . 110

Rapier Carrier [2]

Laser Destroyer Array [2]

Heavy Support

Heavy Support Squad 3 [5]. . . 255

Artificer Armour

Power Weapon

Augury Scanner

Missile Launcher [4]

Flakk Missiles

Hardened Armour

Heavy Support Squad 4 [5]. . . 165

Augury Scanner

Heavy Flamer [5]

Chem-munitions

Hardened Armour

Vindicator. . . 155

Dozer Blade

Auxiliary Drive

Armoured Ceramite

Thank you for any help you can give!

Morning! Welcome to the ship and all that jazz, so very glad you've become one of us!

Niceties done with, dude, severe lack of mobility, you've got that heavy flamer squad with no transport, will take ages before you get to use them, same with the dread. I can see the blobs having survivabilty, but watch for enemy template weapons. Someone better at this than me will pop along and give you more/better advice but thats my starter for 10 :)

Lots of things that might help, as my DG force started off looking very similar:

Get a transport for the heavy flamers. A Rhino works sometimes but often still can't even do the job, as an opponent will learn after those alchem flamers have been dropped on them once... to pop that nastiness and their ride way before it gets to them. I've tried a Land Raider Proteus with some success, but it's still a really expensive flamer attack when you could buy a lot of other stuff for the points and you often burn yourself too. I stick with it though, the heavy flamer models look way too cool to me.

You probably don't need melta bombs on every squad member, just the sergeants. It's not like the Death Guard are about to run down any vehicles. You have guns for that, or you buy a dedicated assault unit that can do the job consistently. For the Chaplain, you don't want a vexilla in the squad he's accompanying, Zealot makes that redundant. Speaking of that, Zealot will only help you at all in close combat. The choice of a Chaplain at all might be better served in a dedicated assault unit, but he does make your blob extra intimidating to charge so that's something. 

Vindicators look awesome, but don't come in squadrons, are slow, relatively vulnerable, and short ranged... The squadrons bit doesn't matter so much for DG as we can just shift heavy support squads to troops with the Reaping, but the other issues hold true. Think of trying a Medusa or Scorpius instead for a similar role. Your Nuncio-voxes would give them an indirect fire option as well. 

Thanks for the replies, gents.

From what I've read on the interwebs (seeing as I don't own the full HH books...yet), the Death Guard weren't too keen on using transports. They footslog. I've never had a problem in 40k footslogging my Iron Hands but, hey, totally different game so I'm just going on my old tactics here and hope they don't slow me down.

As for the melta bombs, only the Sergeants have them. I could see how that could be difficult to pick-out on the list.

The Tactical Squads are going to be built with full modulation in mind. That is why I've kept the Vexilla in there. They won't always be running around with a Chaplain but, when they do, it does seem kind of dopey. Same with an unneeded Nuncio-vox with no Master of Signal or Medusa, etc.

The Medusa I might have to do. I love that model.

Oops, I definitely didn't check the math on the tac squads to see that. You should be fine there then. Watch out for detaching the Chaplain and losing rad grenades on the squad then I guess, it's too good a bonus to lose on 20 ccw tacs, and makes them an extra difficult pain when someone considers engaging them in an assault.

The Death Guard transports-or-not case has been made a lot here, but it bears repeating. The problem is mostly that 30k is really harsh on small, close-range squads traveling on foot. It's either HH book 1 or 2 that mentions the DG have a sizable land raider pool, and remember that the Legions themselves are massive entities filled with variation. 

I'm also not sold on the Dreadnought now that I'm back from class and taking a closer look. Actually, I really want to get some of the MkIV and run some alchem-Flamestorm myself, but I think the rule is to keep the boxes as cheap as possible, and maybe even en masse. They're still hard to justify when Contemptors are around. I could run a Kheres Contemptor Mortis for slightly less than that MkIV Dread and be infinitely more dangerous and versatile. Armoured Ceramite is probably a waste on AV12, too. It's too bad we can't drop Dreads in pods under the Reaping.... Another option for the same points there (185) is the new Deredeo, stock without its missile launcher. S8 Heavy 4 Sunder is beastly, and then you could conceivably save on Flakk missiles and expand that heavy weapon squad instead.

Last note, depending on how you interpret the rules, some will recommend quad mortars over the laser destroyers as anti-tank due to maybe or maybe not being able to fire shatter shells in 30k. I think FW ruled in favor of this interpretation (I can't remember, there's a thread on FW answers on heresy30k) but those rulings aren't exactly concrete. If the people you're gaming with are ok with that though, they're a way better choice for AT (and can double as anti-infantry with frag shells).

I was unsure about the Armoured Ceramite. I figure I'll keep it on my Dreadnought with two Dreadnought Close Combat Weapons because, yeah, he'll be in melta range. This one I might remove entirely. The new Deredeo just looks like a boat with legs. I can't do it.

A Rhino might be in order for me. I didn't know about the XIV's motor pool, so thank you for that. It would figure that they'd have at least some Rhinos.

Well, back to the drawing board.

Archived