Outdoing C:SM at Bikes

Jolemai

The Flesh Tearers Strike Force is a Detachment that is available in SoB: Exterminatus. The meat and veg of this is one HQ, one Troop and one FA, followed by the option extras of one HQ, three Troops, one Elites, five FA, three HS, one Fortification and one LoW.

Note the bolded parts: that's a total of six FA slots.

A typical BA bike squad consists of the following:

• Sergeant with combi-grav and melta bomb
  • Two grav guns
  • Attack Bike with multi melta

All for 163 points. Six of these is 978. Add in a token Scout Squad and a HQ of choice and we have the start of something quite special. These bikes have:

• Furious Charge
  • Explosion of Bloodlust (Rage on a charge roll of 10+)
  • [Lord of Cretacia (re-roll FT Warlord Trait if this is your primary detachment)]

Now, the question is, how could we flesh (no pun intended) this out? What HQ would best suited for these bikes? Librarian? Captain? Then, what to get the points up to 1650/1850? More FTSF? BSF? Formations? Allies? Then there's specifics such as "Meltacide", etc.

Thoughts on this build?

Captain with Artificer armour, bike, storm shield, combi grav and either Relic Blade or Thunder Hammer (depending on whether you prefer S7 AP3 at I5 or S9 AP2 at I1 on the charge).

The disappointment compared to vanilla Marines though is that you cannot take biker command squads so FNP units with 4 Grav guns. Although Our bikers get FC, we do not get ObjSec or Hit&Run. Personally, I still think White Scars do it better and are the way to go if you want a dedicated biker army.

Dude, that is a really nice spot. Why not double the fomation up?

2x priests on bike.

1x scout bikes

4x squads of grav bikes

2x squads of Mulitmelta

2x priests on bike.

1x scout bikes

4x squads of grav bikes

2x squads of Mulitmelta

Maybe add in a Hurricane Bolter / Assualt Cannon / Heavy Bolter Storm Raven or two for anti flyer / hoard control. 

Not got the codex to hand so no idea about points, but in Maelstrom missions these guy could be boss.

The disappointment compared to vanilla Marines though is that you cannot take biker command squads so FNP units with 4 Grav guns. .

Can't priests take bikes?

The disappointment compared to vanilla Marines though is that you cannot take biker command squads so FNP units with 4 Grav guns. Although Our bikers get FC, we do not get ObjSec or Hit&Run. Personally, I still think White Scars do it better and are the way to go if you want a dedicated biker army.

Is Objective Secured really going to do that much with this force? As for Hit and Run, I'd rather have Furious Charge but that may be almost 20 years of BA bias :)

We can mimic a HnR command squad by combining a Priest on a bike with Dante. Not really sure what else we could feasible spend our LoW choice on bar a Marauder...

• Above bike squad (perhaps with a power lance instead of a combi grav for the Sergeant)
  • Priest with Valours Edge (and/or Veritas), Auspex
  • Captain in beatstick build
  • Dante
  • Maybe one or two red shirts?

Would also definitely go with an Imperial Knight formation to supplement this as per this BAO winning list.

Dude, that is a really nice spot. Why not double the fomation up?

2x priests on bike.

1x scout bikes

4x squads of grav bikes

2x squads of Mulitmelta

2x priests on bike.

1x scout bikes

4x squads of grav bikes

2x squads of Mulitmelta

Maybe add in a Hurricane Bolter / Assualt Cannon / Heavy Bolter Storm Raven or two for anti flyer / hoard control. 

Not got the codex to hand so no idea about points, but in Maelstrom missions these guy could be boss.

Doubling up could certainly work but I think I'd prefer having something else to flesh the force out. That's just me though!

(Just a point of note, the Scout Bikes are still an FA choice. These would need to be a Troops choice to be legal).

As for Scout Bikes, once squad could work with upgrades in either a Scout role (thinking locator beacon here for supplementary force(s)) or in an Outflank role.

Sanguinary Priest on bike and a Clan Raukaan CAD for 2 chapter masters and a thunderfire cannon msn-wink.gif

Bike lists mostly work because they have those insanely tough tanks in front, put the priest with the gorgon chain CM for 4+ FnP goodness and people will cry^^

It's a waste of the Priest's +1 WS bonus and taking C:SM defeats the concept of "outdoing C:SM", but that it a very interesting idea. This gives us two routes so far: Clan Raukaan CAD & FTSF or FTSF with Dante (and extras). Would still want an Imperial Knight to fit into either though. Then there's anti-air...

So, using the BAO winning list as a template, here's my attempt at a BA version:

Dante

Sanguinary Priest

~ Bike

~ Auspex

~ Bolt pistol

~ Valour's Edge

Scout Squad (5)

Bike Squadron (5)

~ Grav guns (2)

~ Combi-grav and melta bombs

~ Attack Bike with multi melta

Bike Squadron (3)

~ Grav guns (2)

Bike Squadron (3)

~ Grav guns (2)

Bike Squadron (3)

~ Grav guns (2)

Bike Squadron (3)

~ Grav guns (2)

Bike Squadron (3)

~ Grav guns (2)

Tarrantula Sentry Gun Battery (3)

~ Hyperios Missile Launcher (3)

~ Camo netting

Imperial Knight Errant

Really think this has legs. All I need now is 20 Bikes and six Attack Bikes...

For anti-air, how about throwing the Storm Wing detachment in?  reasonable price point and a good way to get access to storm talons.

Would be a good thing for the scouts to be on too, they could hop off and capture an objective later in the game.

reclusiam command squad formation on bike. Only tax is you also need to take a razorback.

reclusiam command squad formation on bike. Only tax is you also need to take a razorback.

Can the Chaplain leave the squad? Does he have to start deployed with them? It is a shame they won't get FC, but the FNP and multiple Grav I'm sure will make up for it!

Can the Chaplain leave the squad? Does he have to start deployed with them? It is a shame they won't get FC, but the FNP and multiple Grav I'm sure will make up for it!

The Chaplain in the Reclusium Command squad still has the "Independend Character" rule so I would guess he does not have to deploy or remain with the unit.

The squad has to take an Apothecary and Champion. These guys have separate stat lists than the "Veterans". Do they still count as a "Veteran" from the PoV of taking Wargear (ie grav guns) or is the squad limited to 3?

A Company Champion and an Apothecary are no longer Veterans so just like our Command Squad(s), you are only limited to three special weapons. The Chaplain can leave the squad if you wish but you will miss out on the Relentless Zeal buff (RAI not technically RAW though but then, this is full of hiccups due to the copy and paste nature of the dataslate).

Got the slate myself now and it looks quite nifty! Having another Chaplain is always nice for BA, as he could boost our already stellar charges. Plus the Razorback provides more mobile cover and some decent firepower, shame it has no overcharge though

Archived