XIth: Wardens of Light - Destined to be forgotten

MikhalLeNoir
Go to solution Solved by MikhalLeNoir,

Dang it, even when I try to track everything, things keep slipping by me. 

Points/Questions

1. Isn't there a Nightguard tower guarding the Eye already? And isn't the Eye of Terror in the Dominion?
  2. I was clearing up some confusion regarding the Grey Wardens. If Mikhal doesn't want to make an Insurgo force out of the WoL, that's fine.
  3. And now I'm lost. What battles are being considered for the Wardens of Light outside their rescue in the Second Solar War?

Wjat exactly do you mean? I am confused now too.^^

We could make the grey wardens insurgos. But relatively late. Otherwise I would have put thrm in the Illumination trilogy/ quadrology lor what else.

If the dominion borders the eye and if raktra/travier and hec have a ritual ongoing. I think the nightguard would react to that. Same goes for a mass massacre.on cadia IF there are daemons involved.

And I meant to sent the wardems to the closest nightguard tower which would be on the eye.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so the Grey Wardens might be Insurgos. Question is, do you want them to be Insurgos?

I agree that the Nightguard would probably become involve in the Blood Crusade.

So, Blunt, if I'm remembering right, was pitching ideas to introduce the Wardens of Light earlier in the series with battle ideas. Did you actually like any of those ideas? 

It really depends how we play it out. The earlier battles I can't see. Maybe as siggested before that there were wardens on their way to caerbannog who end up in a battlefield.

Grey Wardens among the NightGuard is a thing. Although if did right could also be in the illumination trilogy. Having a look from a different perspective on the blood crusade.

If they were counted as Insurgos. Where would you place them?

If they were counted as Insurgos. Where would you place them?

It would depend on when their first battle would be, but I'd be inclined to try to group them with either the first or second batch of Insurgos. The first batch happen in the Expansion Trilogy, while the second batch happen in Trilogy/Book 6.

Brought to you by the wonderful disarmonia i present you the Lord Commander of the Apostles of War, the forerunner to the XIth Legion.

The scars on his face stem from the terrible rangdan xenocides but the scars he wears in his face are nithing compared to the scars he wears upon his soul. For the murder of his father is a terrible sin and will follow this conflicted soul for the rest of his life.

guaire_by_d1sarmon1a-dbp0fzm.jpg

Really nice artwork, really like how close it looks to your Amalasan model! Also I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly but wasn't he remorseless after killing his primarch? Something like him saying "let his body rot here" instead of sending back to Terra. I was under the impression he wouldn't really be affected by what he did. I really need to go through all the short stories and stuff for BotL.

Really nice artwork, really like how close it looks to your Amalasan model! Also I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly but wasn't he remorseless after killing his primarch? Something like him saying "let his body rot here" instead of sending back to Terra. I was under the impression he wouldn't really be affected by what he did. I really need to go through all the short stories and stuff for BotL.

Regarding Guiare's apparent remorselessness and the "let him rot here" line, the story segment those both originate from was written by myself for fun after being inspired by the art Mikhal commissioned of Gwalchavad's death in the "Canonverse", so it's debatable whether or not my interpretation of Guiare's attitude towards his father is accurate or not. At the time my knowledge regarding the WoL was far less than it is now, so I figured Guaire had to have had a lot of bottled-up resentment towards Gwal, so I cracked the b*****d-o-meter right up to eleven with him being utterly unrepentant, even going so far as to try and deny Gwal a proper burial out of sheer spite.

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

• 2 months later...
He is looking very cool indeed, looks like you took some ideas from your NL raptor ;)! The only thing I'm not sure about is the chestplate, maybe it is too curvy or just too big, but I'm not convinced about how it looks, though everything else is perfectly adapted to look like an older PA mark. Can't wait to see more WoL destroyers, I always loved that unit!

@Traitor: Call it a first try. I think the GS was too thick here. But it is an attached layer of armor so it has to be extra thick. And yes , the NightLord was the perfect Inspiration.

@Vairocanum: Merci beaucoup

@both: next ist underway and will be a bit sleeker.

An issue of logical consistency has come to my attention regarding Gwal's and the WoL's eye ability. Supposedly, this is an ability that can kill the user if it is attempted on a creature or entity of too much power, like say the Emperor. This implies that this is very much a straightforward ability, consuming without question and must be used carefully.

Yet, Mikhal has insisted that there is an 'auto-off' featured tied to this ability. If used on a being/entity of great power, it will essentially overload the ability itself as seen in Gwal using this ability on a Daemon Primarch where it shuts down after use.

However, this does not make sense if the ability is capable of absorbing enough power to kill the user. That suggests there is no 'overloading' capability, if the power can keep going until death. Otherwise, in the first scenario, the ability would overload first before killing the user. Hence the contradiction: either the ability itself has a tolerance limit that triggers a shut-down, or it doesn't and can kill the user. 

Mikhal has thrice tried to explain this inconsistency to me, unsatisfactorily. 

Am I misunderstanding the situation? 

EDIT: To make sure I wasn't misunderstanding the situation, I explained the power to my wife, saying that Blanks are like anti-magic 'souls'. In the case of the WoL, their power acts like a black hole that sucks in souls/magic/life through their eyes. She pointed out that the ability being able to shut down after absorbing a certain amount of soul-power implies a level of sentience within the power itself. That it knows when it has 'completed a task', instead of simply just sucking continuously. 

(She also pointed out that it didn't make sense for the power to have any limit, since there is no soul to overwhelm, but I digress.)

Edited by simison

I caught up on the discord discussion and now that I've seen your post, I think that (what Mikhal said) does makes sense. But MAYBE I can clarify this issue.

Gwal's sight is able of consuming one's soul, right?

The issue you've got is about the auto turn off switch shenanigan thing, tight?

So how about talking of different kind of soul levels?

- mortals

- Daemon Primach

- godlike entities

If Gwal is using his view on a regular mortal (human, Astartes, Eldar warrior, etc.), he would suck his opponents soul entirely, leaving just a empty hull behind without any drawbacks as a "normal" soul would be not that of a thing for him.

If Gwal is using his view on a Daemon Primarch something with an "empowered" soul, he would still consume his opponent's soul BUT as this is quite a huge effort for him to do so, he nearly goes blind. Nevertheless, the "sucking" of this soul would end sooner or later. It just takes some time. The longer it takes, the heavier are the impacts on Gwal. As a Daemon Primarch still got something mortal, he would be consumed entirely. Same with daemons. Yes, they do have immortal souls but are not as powerful as the gods' chosen Primarchs, right?

If Gwal would turn his view on a godlike entity like the Emperor, whose soul is one of the most powerful in the entire galaxy, the "sucking" would just go on and on and on and on. I assume that even a Primarch body is not capable of bearing such a incredible source of power. Thus, Gwal would be torn apart by the sheer amount of "soul energy" he would have to bear. Same goes if he'd look on one of the dark gods.

So instead of an auto switch off, I'd rather explain it like there will be a point when Gwal has consumed the entire soul, automatically ending the "sucking".

Hope that it does make any sense to you. ^^"