Good Reads That Don't Often Get Mentioned

E.G.J.

Ian Watsons - Space Marine... really can't press this enough, if you want 40k nostalgia Space Marine has it in spades, everything from eating brains to gain knowledge to spitting acid to break things, old school Astartes at their finest

This. Very much this.

I wouldn't honestly say that one's an oft-forgotten title. It seems to be among the most well-liked writings of the most well-liked writer.

I think it might be given it's relative age and availability. It's not as common as you'd think!

It is great, either way!

Shadow Captain from the Overfiend trilogy was fairly awesome. Raven Guard killing a bunch of Super Orks using superior tactics and surprise? yes please. Plus the Marines aren't really that invincible, as towards the end they drop like crazy. I only have a problem with the twist, as it's really weird. Can't say I recommend the other two of the Trilogy, though. Didn't read stormseer and Forgelord is just meh.

Death of Integrety is pretty good. Nice amount of space hulk action and goes in depth about the NovaMarine's and blood drinkers lore.

I personally liked Vengeful spirit to a degree ._.

Short stories I have to say the Last Detail is one of the best 40k stories I have read, and it remains that way!

Ben Counter's Grey Knight books were among the second ones I read (first being the Ciaphias Cain omnibus)

The Path trilogy was pretty cool, and Firewarrior was interesting (reminded me heavily of the Halo noveliztions).

I really liked Angels of Darkness. It had a very X-Files feel to it, with a lot of ambiguity about who and what the Dark Angels really are, and the real reason the inner circle may be so adamant on destroying all evidence of the Fallen. I think it may have essentially been retconned by now though, since it made DA players mad.

It wasn't, Ravenwing actually is a semi-sequel as the 1srt, 2nd, and 5th Companies return to put down the rebellion.

In short, almost everyone from Angels of Darkness went insane and died. Also, Sammael considers Boreas a heretic for his recorded message and Boreas' plea falls on deaf ears.

Just remembered another one; Tallarn: Executioner. Even though it uses Iron Warriors as the Enemy Faction That Gets Killed A Lot and I love Iron Warriors, it was a very fun read, translating the tension of tank warfare very well. Kind of reminded me of the recent Brad Pitt movie about the tank crew in WWII.

I'm reading Titanicus right now and it's amazing.

Double Eagle really doesn't get mentioned a lot, what's it like? I was considering reading that next.

It's great - if you like the Ghost's books, I think you'll enjoy it. It's a really good spin-off, and it is legitimately different from most other BL books. I read it when it first came out - and I do want to re-read soon.

And we're still waiting for the long rumoured sequel Interceptor City, so now is as good a time as any to read it!

Cadian blood was good as well it made the boring cadians interesting though there was some plot armor for the guard.

Best thing about Cadian Blood is Typhus. It's my favourite depiction of him and one of the best things to feature the Death Guard (post-heresy) in general. Seeing plaguemarines frim a guardsman's perspective was pretty cool as well, the first time they run into one is a great scene. The Cadians were dicks, though.

Cadian blood was good as well it made the boring cadians interesting though there was some plot armor for the guard.

Best thing about Cadian Blood is Typhus. It's my favourite depiction of him and one of the best things to feature the Death Guard (post-heresy) in general. Seeing plaguemarines frim a guardsman's perspective was pretty cool as well, the first time they run into one is a great scene. The Cadians were dicks, though.

Eh, the ability of the Cadians to kill a dreadnought was absurd. The Death Guard would have been far better villains had they been the looming menace that nobody could put down and everyone was hapless as they jumped them while trying to destroy the source of the plague with something like a suicide fusion charge.

Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space novels; Iain Banks' Culture novels msn-wink.gif

To be serious, I would recommend these, as they feel very 40k at times - Reynolds is very grimdark. Chasm City is an ideal Necromunda/Inquisitor-scopic text; the bigger novels dealing with Tyranid-esque horrors from afar. And he's influenced by Banks to an extent, and Banks' novels' post-cyberpunk environments are worth checking out too.

Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space novels; Iain Banks' Culture novels msn-wink.gif

To be serious, I would recommend these, as they feel very 40k at times - Reynolds is very grimdark. Chasm City is an ideal Necromunda/Inquisitor-scopic text; the bigger novels dealing with Tyranid-esque horrors from afar. And he's influenced by Banks to an extent, and Banks' novels' post-cyberpunk environments are worth checking out too.

Not really. The humans in the Culture Verse are completely irrelevant as the Minds run everything in ways humans are physically incapable of even comprehending.

Archived