Good Reads That Don't Often Get Mentioned

E.G.J.

"lord of the night" by Simon Spurrier got me into black library stuff, and had quite a bit of HH stuff in it too, though some of it ret-conned now by ADB's work. 

I'm in agreement on that one Paz, Lord of the Night was one of my first reads and really underrated I find.

I think so! Sadly spurrier did xenology and lord of the night, and a tau book I think, then dissapeared.

Szo sahaal was the sole reason I got into 30/40k

I'm in agreement on that one Paz, Lord of the Night was one of my first reads and really underrated I find.

I think so! Sadly spurrier did xenology and lord of the night, and a tau book I think, then dissapeared.

Szo sahaal was the sole reason I got into 30/40k

Lord of the Night was one of my first reads as well, and was instrumental in getting me into this hobby. I thought his descriptions of the underhive were excellent. I know Xenology gets some bad reviews, but I enjoyed that too. It's too bad he stopped writing for BL.

Scars was really good, it suffered a bit in the visibility because of how it was released I thought. Like a lot of HH stuff after they changed how the books are released. If they had not done that, the whole series after First Heretic would have been NYTimes best sellers...

Jurassic Park........

woops wrong board. Dead Man Walking was a pleasure to read I couldn't put it down. Also have to throw in Horus Rising. Found it one day randomly in Chapters and I was hooked, I mean hooked I missed my bus stop twice that day on my way home.

The Last Chancers is one I haven't read but would be interesting in reading. Never heard anything about it though.

I have the omnibus and it is one of the most well thumbed books in my collection alongside Storm of Iron!

The Last Chancers is one I haven't read but would be interesting in reading. Never heard anything about it though.

I have the omnibus and it is one of the most well thumbed books in my collection alongside Storm of Iron!

It's superb - one of those things I also enjoy going back to! I remember the release fondly. I think it even perhaps works as a standalone series for those unfamiliar with the universe too, which is an added strength.

Scars was really good, it suffered a bit in the visibility because of how it was released I thought. Like a lot of HH stuff after they changed how the books are released. If they had not done that, the whole series after First Heretic would have been NYTimes best sellers...

I think it's fitting that the book about the White Scars didn't showed up that much.

Man, I like this thread. Good call, E.G.J. :)

I'm gonna add The Harrowing by Rob Sanders as well. It was nice to see the Alpha Legion actually kick in doors and break face for a change. I'd suggest this story to anyone in a heartbeat.

Yeah, whoa. Blew my mind, that did.

Read it. It's worth the money spent.

Have now read it. I won't spoil it for others (even in spoiler), but yeah...

Whoa!

Yeah, whoa. Blew my mind, that did.

Read it. It's worth the money spent.

Have now read it. I won't spoil it for others (even in spoiler), but yeah...

Whoa!

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who slowly put down his e-reader in stunned surprise, lol.

I would also suggest reading Child of Night by John French as well, it was a very fun read, and an interesting take on the old Terran VIII Legion.

Not to mention, seeing Sevetar getting tossed like a punk.... 

I would also suggest reading Child of Night by John French as well, it was a very fun read, and an interesting take on the old Terran VIII Legion.

Ugh, I loved this. Wish it was a full novel, REALLY badly.

Ugh, I loved this. Wish it was a full novel, REALLY badly.

Hells yes. I'm cautiously optimistic we'll get to see more of his soon. I love the contrast of Fel and some of the old-school VIII legion, he's almost like a Transylvanian vampire-noble who is trying to redeem his violent past with righteous violence and, shockingly, humility. 

It's a crazy take on the Haunter's misfit sons, but it's my kind of crazy.

Yeah you remember when we talked about the Terran Night Lords? French actually hit on it completely with how Fel DEMANDED to be punished, to be judged, for his crimes. All he asked, is that those judging made their choice based on knowledge of his actions.

He did not regret those actions, he simply wanted to be judged for them.

I liked it quite a bit in that regard, as the source of the Terran night lords (former prisoners) really bugged me.

• 1 month later...

'Imperial Glory' by Richard Williams. Fantastic portrayal of the 'not everyone survives' archetype. If you like having your jimmies rustled, check it out.

Finally got round to reading this: and it is definitely deserving of praise in this list! Excellent, really engaging - an interesting take on life in the Guard...

Execution Hour was awesome. I never read the sequel, but since they have been collected in a print-on-demand from BL, I should probably get on that. 

Seconded. Execution Hour was excellent. It is a must read. 

Execution Hour was awesome. I never read the sequel, but since they have been collected in a print-on-demand from BL, I should probably get on that. 

Seconded. Execution Hour was excellent. It is a must read. 

Having re-read both this and Shadow Point recently, it made me yearn for Gothic... 

Surprised no one has mentioned either books by Henry Zou. He originally got a short story in Planetkill, then reintroduced his Inquisitor character in his first novel. His second book was about the renegade chapter Blood Gorgons.

Archived