Good Reads That Don't Often Get Mentioned

E.G.J.

I remember the Let the Galaxy Burn anthology having some nice stories in it.

Not really. The humans in the Culture Verse are completely irrelevant as the Minds run everything in ways humans are physically incapable of even comprehending.

whistlingW.gif

Is this one commonly overlooked?:

Audiobook - Thorn and Talon

I find it very refreshing... gives you a view of the typical Imperial Citizens life in Master Imus's Transgression, humanizes Eisenhorn in Regio Occulta and Thorn Wishes Talon was plain awesome :D

Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space novels; Iain Banks' Culture novels msn-wink.gif

To be serious, I would recommend these, as they feel very 40k at times - Reynolds is very grimdark. Chasm City is an ideal Necromunda/Inquisitor-scopic text; the bigger novels dealing with Tyranid-esque horrors from afar. And he's influenced by Banks to an extent, and Banks' novels' post-cyberpunk environments are worth checking out too.

Not really. The humans in the Culture Verse are completely irrelevant as the Minds run everything in ways humans are physically incapable of even comprehending.

I meant more Banks's use of dystopian settings, his love of placing religious cults in the wider universe, the inherent darkness of his benevolent universe - not the specifics, per se. But it's a cheeky suggestion to go to top-tier sci-fi that's presumably been influential on BL and wider 40k depictions.

There's a really good Imperial Guard novel about the remnants of several regiments fighting their last campaign before mustering out. The middle section is an interlude that tells the story of an ork nob's early life. I can't for the life of me remember the title or the author, but I highly recommend it.

Edit: Imperial Glory by Richard Williams. The paperback is out of print but it's now available as an e-book.

Flesh, a short story by Chris Wraight. Honestly, this gets reread every six months and, with each reading, it tells me something new. Absolutely fantastic and is available as a standalone eBook or found in many compilation books and eBooks by Black Library.

I felt that A Son's Burden by Andy Smillie was a very human book about our non-human protectors of the galaxy. It can be found on iBooks and Black Library's website under the Shield of Baal series.

As stated above, Regia Occulta by Dan Abnett really gets down to what an average Inquisitor's day-to-day life is like. Of course, this Inquisitor runs into some extraordinary happenings. Maybe he'll be destined for something greater one day msn-wink.gif?

The next story is actually two short stories that have been packaged together. Nurgle's Gift and The Tallyman by Guy Haley and Anthony Reynolds, respectively, both tell great stories. I am more partial to the former story as it is more ambiguous about time but, all in all, these are good reads.

As far as compilations go, There is Only War, edited by Christian Dunn, Nick Kyme, and Lindsey Priestly, is really a fantastic set of novellas and short stories. I've still seen a number of copies floating about in real-space but it can be found in iBooks and the Black Library website. Expect to read a lot because it comes in well over the thousand page mark!

Hope one of these titles will spark some interest smile.png!

Two books I don't hear about too often that stuck with me:

- Fifteen Hours :

I never heard of the author. In fact I had to re-google this just so I could post about it. lol Mitchel Scanlon wrote it. Never heard of him. I don't even particularly care for IG fiction (outside of Blood Pact). This is an extremely well paced tale of the 'typical' Guardsman's first 15 hours of military life. Shockingly, I couldn't put it down. To this day I reflect on it when I think of IG or even play against them. 

- Censure:

A novel about an Ultramarine stuck on Calth. You'd think considering the subject matter this would get some reads but I personally don't know anyone else that's read it. I bought it on a whim because I  needed something to listen to while painting...

I must have listened to this 5+ times by now. Nick Kyme seems to get Ultramarines really well. I admit I listened to this before reading Know No Fear. So to have this as my introduction to this character was awesome. Finding out actually who this guy is... I mean his place within the Ultramarines, is icing on the cake.

The story itself isn't the big draw. It's good vs bad really, but the characters are great - it focuses on Aeonid Thiel. The way Kyme writes Ultra's... he nails it. To me he writes an Ultramarine the way they should be, without the arrogant overtones. His 'ally' in this story is also really well done. It's a great short story.

- Censure:

A novel about an Ultramarine stuck on Calth. You'd think considering the subject matter this would get some reads but I personally don't know anyone else that's read it. I bought it on a whim because I  needed something to listen to while painting...

I must have listened to this 5+ times by now. Nick Kyme seems to get Ultramarines really well. I admit I listened to this before reading Know No Fear. So to have this as my introduction to this character was awesome. Finding out actually who this guy is... I mean his place within the Ultramarines, is icing on the cake.

The story itself isn't the big draw. It's good vs bad really, but the characters are great - it focuses on Aeonid Thiel. The way Kyme writes Ultra's... he nails it. To me he writes an Ultramarine the way they should be, without the arrogant overtones. His 'ally' in this story is also really well done. It's a great short story.

I do love reading Nick Kymes Ultramarines he is really good at bringing humanity to Space Marines if that makes sense. Have you read/listened to his Damnos books (Fall of Damnos and Veil of Darkness)? Cato Sicarius is easily one of my favourite Marines in M41 mostly because of how he is shown in those books.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually I am reading the Damnos stuff now. But yea, some people dislike him, but his Ultra's might be some of my faves. Agreed Cato is well presented in those books. (It's a big series though... I'm reading the Chronos book right now)

Actually I am reading the Damnos stuff now. But yea, some people dislike him, but his Ultra's might be some of my faves. Agreed Cato is well presented in those books. (It's a big series though... I'm reading the Chronos book right now)

Jealous I haven't been able to find the Chronos one on it's own you'll have to let me know how it is.

Edit: Imperial Glory by Richard Williams. The paperback is out of print but it's now available as an e-book.

That's a coincidence. I borrowed that book from the local library. I'll have to read that after "Betrayer" happy.png

Chirurgeon by Nick Kyme. Such a deep story, and a shocking look at how close the III Legion came to extinction, and what dark deeds were done in the name of survival. 

Damn you, Kyme. You're making me feel bad for the one character I never thought I'd feel anything towards but disgust; Fabius Bile.

An e-short it may be, but worth every penny.

Damn you, Kyme. You're making me feel bad for the one character I never thought I'd feel anything towards but disgust; Fabius Bile.

blink.png Woah!

Chirurgeon by Nick Kyme. Such a deep story, and a shocking look at how close the III Legion came to extinction, and what dark deeds were done in the name of survival. 

An e-short it may be, but worth every penny.

Definitely gonna have to give this a look. Sounds very similar to the Game of Thrones books when you realise, gods help you, you are starting to like Jamie Lannister.

Legion of the Damned- Was a great story, it just had nothing to do with the LotD. I loved the Excoriators story. Worst title ever.

I also really enjoyed the Salamanders trilogy.

Legion of the Damned- Was a great story, it just had nothing to do with the LotD. I loved the Excoriators story. Worst title ever.

Rob Sanders did a blog post explaining the title. It's certainly worth a read. Essentially, the title refers to three different "damned legions". The Excoriators, as one of the most shunned of IF successors, the Cholercaust, as a true fallen legion, and the LotD themselves. Though personally, if you read the back of the book, it's clear the LotD were never the primary focus, though they are present throughout most of the book.

Rob Sanders did a blog post explaining the title. It's certainly worth a read. Essentially, the title refers to three different "damned legions". The Excoriators, as one of the most shunned of IF successors, the Cholercaust, as a true fallen legion, and the LotD themselves. Though personally, if you read the back of the book, it's clear the LotD were never the primary focus, though they are present throughout most of the book.

Hell, I thought the Legion of the Damned was overrepresented in that book, because their presence kept detracting from the more interesting Excoriators.

This isn't the first time SM Battles has done this to me though. The Geldar Rift was exactly the same for me! If it had just been portrayed as a Red Corsairs book I probably wouldn't mind it but if you're thinking 'Ohhh Silver Skulls they sound quite interesting lets learn more about this chapter' yeah, no. But back to Legion of the Damned I think that was the only way they could really be shown I think you really needed to know the loyalists were that desperate before the Legion interviened or we would be like 'Well where in Thrones name were they at Armegeddon, Rynns World, or any Black Crusade.' I have to say I have bad mouthed this book for some of its clunky exposition on another thread but it still had some great moments. How the Chaos Berzerker who fought at Terra is killed so sobtly it drives him mad is just perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hell, I thought the Legion of the Damned was overrepresented in that book, because their presence kept detracting from the more interesting Excoriators.

This isn't the first time SM Battles has done this to me though. The Geldar Rift was exactly the same for me! If it had just been portrayed as a Red Corsairs book I probably wouldn't mind it but if you're thinking 'Ohhh Silver Skulls they sound quite interesting lets learn more about this chapter' yeah, no. But back to Legion of the Damned I think that was the only way they could really be shown I think you really needed to know the loyalists were that desperate before the Legion interviened or we would be like 'Well where in Thrones name were they at Armegeddon, Rynns World, or any Black Crusade.' I have to say I have bad mouthed this book for some of its clunky exposition on another thread but it still had some great moments. How the Chaos Berzerker who fought at Terra is killed so sobtly it drives him mad is just perfect.

They weren't. The Legion of the Damned only shows up when the Imperial forces haven't a chance at hell at victory. While the Black Crusades and Armageddon were certainly horrible grinding battles with thousands being tossed into way of the enemy, the Imperium still had a significant chance at coming out on top- and succeeded.

Meanwhile the Blood Crusade was utterly censored.gif . There were millions of cultists/Khorne's thralls, thousands of Daemons (if not hundreds of thousands of daemons themselves), and hundreds of Chaos Space Marines to under one hundred space marines, a handful of Sisters, and a small Imperial Guard/PDF regiment.

Even with the Legion, they only came out with the women, children, and one Space Marine Captain surviving.

Archived