Battle Report : Apocalyse Raid on Alesia

Master Avoghai

Well today is a special day as it will be the first day for 6 years now that I will play almost all my collection of DA in a single battle.

My local club tries to organize events like this more and more and no doubt there should be more occasion in the future for such battle report.

The battle will oppose 10700pts of Dark Angels to 10000points of Chaos Alliance :

2500 pts of Khorne CSM + deamons

2500 pts of Tzeentch CSM + deamons

2500 pts of Slaanesh renegade + deamons

2500pts of Nurgle renegade + deamons

Why this odd number of 10700pts on my side, you may wonder... Well because we chose to include a little force of fallen to give flavor to this battle.

5 fallen will join the battle. We'll use the models of chosen of the DV box and they'll have the profile below

WS5 BS5 S4 T4 W2 I5 A2 Ld 10

Special rules : Veterans of the long war, ATSKNF, Independent character, incredible reflexes, shrouded

Incredible reflexes : the model has a 4+ inv save in CC. In addition to that, he adds +2 to his look out sir roll.

On top of that, we'll play 2 (yes 2) cypher. The chaos side will note at the beginning of the game which one is the real one, and they'll reveal at the end of the game if we manage to capture only one, if it's the good or not.

We estimate that it represents an addition of 700pts of chaos hence we decided to play the DA with 700 pts more.

Wish me luck!

Beautiful stuff. Both sides of the table.

Thumbs down for the Landraider as terrain! Thumbs up for Dark Angels in a bastion! (A combo I love and don't see very often, but anything that works AND is fluffly gets a bug thumbs up.)

Fighting Chaos Space Marines with Astra is very tough. I'm going to go back and read this whole thing. I just had to comment on how awesome the battle looks!

Please note that our opponents used the renegade militia list from IA 13 hence really different from Astra Militarum.

Ah okay, that's what the renegade portion of the list description meant. That makes sense.

It's nice to see such a close game at that level, and surprisingly no LoW? No super heavies? Or am I missing it? So many games at that level can get completely out of hand or one sided. The last one I did was a bit bigger, and was down to the last turn and everyone gets so much more out of it when it's nice and close.

So what would you say was the big performer for your side? Any under performers?

Thanks again for posting this.

Hmm... yes I see your problem right there. Not enough Ravenwing. :P

Good effort though. That chaos force was really well built and had a large amount of firepower. Also nice to see everything fully constructed and painted.

@ Prot : actually we decided to make it the heavy way with absolutely no super heavy on both side.

The reason was practical and also balance orientated. The chaos side had to make 4 x2500 pts lists including both human force and Deamons. Including a super heavy in one of those force would have left few rooms for both CSM and Deamons.

The second reason is that DA don't have access to super heavy except the thunderhawk and I don't own one yet... So if one side would have had one super heavy and the other note the battle wouldn't have been fun.

The turning point was the alpha strike we missed. Our first turn was a disaster. Only one chimera killed in an entire phase, the rest was just a few HP or W here and there... We really chose the good targets but only made a mad series of one and two...

Our opponents were very pessimistic about their chances to win because they started only with troops and HS choices. Actually we decided to make their reserve enter turn one to compensate their lack of units but they admit that they didn't expected a so terrible shooting phase.

The men of the day were Khârn and the other Lord of Khorne on juggernaut.

Khârn managed to wipe out a squad of termis on his own ( and stil, the termis were only 5, but he caused 6 unsaved W) even before his fellows could strike. He then killed 4 other termis before being submerged by 3 squads.

The Lord of Khorne manage to strike 11 times Sammael in challenge. He caused 7 Unsaved W and managed therefore to kill the command squad alone.

On the DA sides, the DW knights were terribly resilient and really was the sparehead that broke the enemy lines and allowed the rest to reach Cypher.

Other than that... I didn't have my 6th tactical squad painted and therefore couldn't play the battle company with its bonus.

For speed sake I had teammates that played with me but since they didn't play their army (and actually didn't play a codex they knew) they sometimes made bad choices.

On the other side 3 players out of 4 played their armies hence were more implicated and focused on their goals.

I think next time we'll try to discuss more with the co organizers on the scenario and the objectives and I'll also try to coach more my teammates before the game.

Archived