Starting Out 2: Dragoons and Ironstriders

Currently i have the holstered serpenta blu-tacked against the pilot's right leg in that fold of the cloak as if attached at the waist where they could draw it with their left hand. The other 'maybe' spots i'm considering is on the ironstrider between the left knee and the rail connection, or on the side cowling over the exhaust which also may be the only place i can think the holstered Jezzail could go, though perhaps it could also be attached to the back-rail?

I'm almost done painting the body so attaching the legs and dealing with that already infamous cable is coming up so any helpful advice you could give would be very much appreciated.

Well first I thought to glue the Ironstrider leg on and then glue the Servitor's leg on thus hoping that I can easily line up the pipes and glue on that crap pipe.  That did not work the space to glue that tiny piece was way too small, so I had to pull everything apart and try again.  I then followed to instruction manual and glue the tiny pipe first then I glue the Servitor's leg in place and then lastly the Ironstrider's leg.  It was still a pain but it was at least manageable. 

I put a little glue on the hoses and connected the servitor/strider legs together and then I attached them both at the same time. Do it fast enough and you can still reposition the servitor leg as it dries

I've already got the servitors leg on and lined up, but not the ironstriders leg. So hopefully it'll be a matter of gluing to the servitor dry-fitting the ironstrider leg as it dries to make sure it lines up, then gluing the ironstrider leg on once the first gluing has set. I'll try soon once i have the last painting done on the parts that'll be hard to reach.

How many Dragoons minimum do you think need to be in a squad? 2 enough or more?

I'm starting with two, and considering a second squad of two. I think with fragile walkers it makes sense to force your opponent to choose squads to target, rather than a bigger unit risking the chance to be brought down in a salvo.

Dragoons have their own cover save and (rules experts please correct me if i am wrong) are big enough to grant a cover save to a knight.

So it's terribly fluffy and rule of cool and I believe will be effective a tactic to run dragoons on the flanks of a knight. The knight can keep their invulnerable save to the fore and get them from the cover-saves from the sides too. The enemy has to choose whether to spend those shots trying to hit the Knight or whittle down it's flanking walkers. Either way a nasty assault is bearing down upon them!

I'm really temped to run units of ~3 Dragoons, ~2 Jezzoons & ~2-3 autocannon 'Striders.

They're all damn fast, I really feel that Taser Dragoons need at least three models to really hit hard when charging with 12 S8 I6 AP2 attacks, plus anything S4 and under can't hurt them without some form of krak or melta bombs.  Jezzoons & 'Striders are great for lending supporting fire and hopefully eliminating fist/klaw/melta/hammer-wielding models before the melee Dragoons get into combat, and can also move 9" while still firing at BS4 (or higher!) so are great for getting those angles on the flanks.

IMO after reading the full codex, I don't think there's ANY reason not to run the Ironstrider Cavalier Formation. The requirements are super loose (you can literally run 1 Dragoon, 1 Dragoon, and 1 Ironstrider and qualify). This would normally take up 2 FA choices (maxing out your FA) and a HS choice and the bonuses you get are simply mind-boggling for the "no points" buy-in. Beyond this, you can always take more Dragoons or Ironstriders in each squadron (up to 6!) giving you scalability for higher point games. Best of all, you won't be soaking valuable HS slots with Ironstrider Ballistarii, leaving you space for MOAR DUNECRAWLERS!!! Yes, they're that good. msn-wink.gif

But with the Cavalier, won't they just shoot the Dragoons on the Turn that you Outflank (since you can't Charge in that Turn) if you simply run single Dragoons?

They're all damn fast, I really feel that Taser Dragoons need at least three models to really hit hard when charging with 12 S8 I6 AP2 attacks, plus anything S4 and under can't hurt them without some form of krak or melta bombs.

Where does the AP2 come from?

Apart from that Krak nades are far more common than most people think. Everyone and their mother has them. My dreadnoughts can sing you songs of fail about them loosing against guardsman juggling krak grenades :\

Just a quick question. The Ironstrider Cavalier formation needs 2 units of dragoons and one unit of Ballistarii, so if you have two one walker units of dragoons and a single ballistarii that covers the requirements right?

Also since these are separate units, you then need to roll independently to see which board edge these units come on from right? So they may come on from different board edges.

In response to Kilofix, if you're choosing to use the Formation then you would probably want to go for Jezzail Dragoons, or Outflank them in a position that they have blocked LOS (or a better cover save).  It'll depend on which board edge you get (Acute Senses helps) and how the table is set up, but it's workable.  Keep in mind that Dunestrider means they are moving on the board 9", and as far as I know they can still Run during the shooting phase (if you didn't give them Jezzails).  Not to mention their run is 2d6 pick highest (Crusader) and +3" on top of that!  While it'd be easy to think of the 2 Dragoons as a "tax" to Outflank your Ironstriders, they can still serve a purpose here if you plan accordingly.

If the Formation is really just to Outflank the Ironstrider, I may just stick to Dragoons in the Maniple, and rely on the Onager Neutrons for ranged anti-tank.

The question I'm still struggling with is, are 2 Dragoons enough? I guess I'll run just 2 and see how it goes for now.

They're all damn fast, I really feel that Taser Dragoons need at least three models to really hit hard when charging with 12 S8 I6 AP2 attacks, plus anything S4 and under can't hurt them without some form of krak or melta bombs.

Where does the AP2 come from?

Apart from that Krak nades are far more common than most people think. Everyone and their mother has them. My dreadnoughts can sing you songs of fail about them loosing against guardsman juggling krak grenades :\

Yeah, my bad - was getting the walker  MC specials mixed up...no AP2!  lol

Just a quick question. The Ironstrider Cavalier formation needs 2 units of dragoons and one unit of Ballistarii, so if you have two one walker units of dragoons and a single ballistarii that covers the requirements right?

Also since these are separate units, you then need to roll independently to see which board edge these units come on from right? So they may come on from different board edges.

I think the idea was that 'The Noose Tightens' would work like an improved version of the Combined Reserve Units rule (from the main rulebook), where they come on together, but it doesn't actually state that they do (come on together). That's interesting. Maybe I'm missing something, though?

Yes, with the separate Outflank rolls considered, I'm not 100% sure this is the best option every time. Even so, Acute Senses does work to overcome this a bit, but the best setup may be to simply take larger squadrons of Striders, so they can act independently. The problem there is how much that would cost, $ wise. sad.png

• 1 month later...

weird with the ironstrider formation, its says they arrive on the same turn but nothing about the same board edge which is a shame. an FAQ on this would be useful.

Ive tried out Ironstriders but yet to try out Dragoons, personally prefer the taser goad loadout.

They are rolled for as one from reserve, but this does not mean they have to deploy as one unit. Example my formation is one Ironstrider, and two units of one dragoons, I will either outflank the dragoons, if I can find cover for a turn, with the nine inch move and 4 " run on worst case roles. The ironstrider, is perfect outflank for rear and side armor hits, and generally cheaper than most vehicles it targets.

I think the biggest issue I have with Dragoons is how expensive the models are.  I'd love to try a pair of max units, but I can't get over the cost of completing the unit, not to mention the scary construction time (I've heard Ironstriders are tough to build).  Based on the numbers though, they would be a great flanking close combat unit.

They're not to bad to build, just time consuming given they're basically a Sentinel+.

They look awesome though, and and taser goads are full of win.

I'm tempted to grab a few more with jezzails, though I think they're a bit superfluous since radium carbines and calivers can delete MC's easily enough.

Archived