Starting Out 2: Dragoons and Ironstriders

I still dont get the point of radium jezzail toting dragoons, when you already have vanguards for that purpose or am i missing something? i do see the benefit of a phosphor serpenta on a taser dragoon though, worth it for a chance at re-rolling charge distances though they are already at +3 to all moves.

I don't really see the point, either.  The Dragoons are primarily designed for melee combat, and you can get much better shooting capability from Ballistarii for only a handful of points more.

• 2 weeks later...

Jessail dragoons are pretty great, especially given the various bonuses they can get to their ranged attacks. A unit of 3 takes 6 precise shots that are AP2 and can double on 6s, they are quite good at plinking out key weapons out of a unit. For example if you are using the BS7 ability against their chosen target, they hit with ~89% of their attacks (each guy has a ~20% chance of rolling a 6 to hit on the jessail with each of his 2 shots) and wound ~98% of the time (and each hit inflicted has a ~25.5% chance of being a double wound). Last game they chose a Tibby+Grav cent death star as their preferred target, and sniped out Tibby in their first round of shooting. Lucky, but not as outrageous as you'd think.

The taser dragoons I haven't tried, but I see as mainly useful for breaking vehicles (can be S10 if used in the Power formation), as most units tend to carry krak grenades (although even then you should be able to tie them up for a turn or two). I am not sure how necessary melee vehicle cracking is when you can bring along Kataphrons (heavy grav, heavy arc, torsion cannons) and otherwise have haywire aplenty in your list.

I balked at the model cost as well, plus I don't really like how they look (I'm 50/50 on the whole skitarii and cybernetica release, yes to kataphron servitors, skitarii infantry, sicarian infantry, and magos, no to electro-priests, kastelan robots, dunewalkers or striders). Thankfully, I have six Vorax battle-automata with very lackluster rules but awesome models that I intend to convert into striders. Should be pretty easy, I just need to keep everyone with a two-weapon configuration for the Vorax' two arms. I can even utilize the magazine boxes for autocannons. I am probably going to make 3 balistarii and 3 jessails, or 2 and 4 so I can utilize the formation.

I really dislike the radium jazzel. 45 points for 2 sniper rad shots. Odds are you do 1.15 wound most of the time. It's nice it has some range shooting, but nothing is gonna go down to this too well. For the same price of one of these i could just about take half a unit of vanguard. Sure they lack the range and mobility, but the 1.15 wound just turns the dragoon into a walking objective holder.

The taser lance is bonkers. Its the melee version of the rad carbine for the most part. STR 8 you can wound just about anything, you usauly go first, and you get more attacks on 6s to hit. These guys plus your weapon skill boosters are very scary. Sure no ap, but you just get so many attacks that happen first. this is the perfect clean up squad. You can still use your dragoon to hold objectives, while also having a unit that can get into combat and do something crazy.

One unit i didn't care for before today is the ironstride with cognis auto. A unit of two of these is just great. Hide them behind walls and troops. They are so tall they shoot over, but depending on the angles can get some pretty good cover saves. These guys do something wonderful for your skit list. They clean up most vehicles. Most early  shot at a vehicle  bring it down to one or two hull points. These dude are perfect for cleaning it up, and nothing escape the high perched bird eye view atop the ironstrider. These shots also put dent into MCs and units a like. They also do a passable job with anti air.

That wound makes all the difference if it's on a key model.

This is true, but its not as versatile. They'll do so much more on the charge with the taser.  I saw the appeal at one point, but after prozying them and seeing how they do. They just don't help against any threats. They are nice against a wraithlord or similar that doesn't fly or shoot you first, but it'll still get it's saves <.<...

The ironstride does all of the rad jazzel stuff but can wound wink stuff on a 2+ if need be, and has alittle better AP. Plus it can still pop a tank or a flyer if you need it too.

Archived