Starting Out 4: Onager Dunecrawlers

Exactly!

To me you either field 3 Dunecrawlers with 2 Neutron Lasers and 1 Phosphor Blaster or you field like 2 Dunecrawlers both with Icarus Arrays (or both setups if you have the points/money).

PS

I have my 3 boxes of Dunecrawlers and they are very sweet kits!  From the looks of it in the instructions the main weapons attach much the same way as the arms of a Knight Titan do.  They have that insert and rotate to secure mechanism. 

Exactly!

To me you either field 3 Dunecrawlers with 2 Neutron Lasers and 1 Phosphor Blaster or you field like 2 Dunecrawlers both with Icarus Arrays (or both setups if you have the points/money).

PS

I have my 3 boxes of Dunecrawlers and they are very sweet kits! From the looks of it in the instructions the main weapons attach much the same way as the arms of a Knight Titan do. They have that insert and rotate to secure mechanism.

Sadly mine are in the mail sad.png.

Going to a 1500 pt local tournament on Sunday and just going to try taking one with a laser and one with an icarus array. Obviously they should go in larger squads I just don't have that many yet and I want to experiment msn-wink.gif

Edit: Any idea how easy it would be to magnetize the main weapon options?

looking at the instructions and parts magnetising the weapons looks possible. If you want all the options you need to magnetise the dome with the opus mechanika that goes on the side so you can swap that with the Icarus missile pod. The there's several different housings the guns attach to, so they need to be magnetised too, but crucially the phosphor and icarus use the same housing part so you'll need to magnetise the barrels of those guns so they attach neatly to the housing as well. Deciding exactly where to put the magnets inside the housings could be a bit tricky as each has holes for the gun barrels at different spots.

The trickiest part looks to be the hatch for the stubber-gunner. That might need drilling all the way through the hinge and pinning so it can be opened and closed perhaps.

One thing to note about the Icarus Array is you can use the Interceptor on the Autocannon and still fire your weapons at a DIFFERENT target in the shooting phase.  So technically you don't have to waste all your other Onager's shooting to use a bit of the Icarus Array's AA, but you would have to waste it all to use the full suite, which kind of stinks.

Not sure that anyone has pointed it out yet but there are two good clues for future Admech releases in the Onager kit. First, there is an alternate foot for the crawler included on the sprue, sort of a flat pad that looks like either something that you would use to make "heavier" footprint, or that you would attach to make something a more stable stationary base (like the legs on a mobile crane).

The instructions, in their non-verbal way, pass it off as a modelling option. Since there is no picture in the codex or any WD of the Onager with this option that I have seen, nor is there any mention in the codex that this is an upgrade, it looks to be a specific build option for a future kit. 

The second clue is that all of the leg assembly is contained on one sprue, similar to how they did the defiler, so it basically becomes a re-usable sprue for any number of smallish walkers in the future.

Food for thought, but it made me think that there might be either a Legio cybernetic version of the Onager (something more like a walker robot)  or the much anticipated transport.  Time will tell.

Not sure that anyone has pointed it out yet but there are two good clues for future Admech releases in the Onager kit. First, there is an alternate foot for the crawler included on the sprue, sort of a flat pad that looks like either something that you would use to make "heavier" footprint, or that you would attach to make something a more stable stationary base (like the legs on a mobile crane).

The instructions, in their non-verbal way, pass it off as a modelling option. Since there is no picture in the codex or any WD of the Onager with this option that I have seen, nor is there any mention in the codex that this is an upgrade, it looks to be a specific build option for a future kit. 

The second clue is that all of the leg assembly is contained on one sprue, similar to how they did the defiler, so it basically becomes a re-usable sprue for any number of smallish walkers in the future.

Food for thought, but it made me think that there might be either a Legio cybernetic version of the Onager (something more like a walker robot)  or the much anticipated transport.  Time will tell.

WD63 has a picture of the Onager with the sand shoe.

Good catch. Did they discuss it in the article?

“The Onager comes with sand shoes, optional extras that enable the Dunecrawler to traverse harsh terrain. These can be left off or even modelled stowed up against the legs”

Excerpt From: Dwarf, White. “White Dwarf Issue 63: 11th April 2015.” iBooks.

This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/y-8M6.l

One thing to note about the Icarus Array is you can use the Interceptor on the Autocannon and still fire your weapons at a DIFFERENT target in the shooting phase.  So technically you don't have to waste all your other Onager's shooting to use a bit of the Icarus Array's AA, but you would have to waste it all to use the full suite, which kind of stinks.

Yeah but that's still only two shots, unless you get really lucky it likely isn't enough for most AA needs.

Onager.

One sand shoe is stowed up for this photo just to demo the option.

Built trusses for the weapon pod so that I can attach either the cover or the missile pod.

There are also enough harnesses for 3 of the 4 weapons so you can build and magnetize 3 options.

17006283330_45658062fe_k_d.jpg

Thanks for the pics and description Kilofix ,

I'm not seeing mine till Friday (my Gaming mates are buying me my Skitarii starter force for my birthday biggrin.png ) so its good to see this stuff earlier so when i get it i know exactly how to go about it!!

i also see you cranked out some more units as well...your quite the Fabricator General! tongue.png

Mithril

Oh man, now I'm really psyched to get working on my Onagers! Ease of magnetization is a big factor here, because honestly every configuration (beyond the stock one) has a place. Wish I could bring myself to order more, but I'm trying not to outpace my painting. tongue.png

While others have already replied about the sandshoes, that the leg assembly is all on one sprue is cool, it may indicate very cool future intentions whether soon or in later years. It particularly may be useful for Forgeworld and i very much hope to see a forgeworld variant come out.

Maybe I´m missing something here, but...
One of the most important buffs/synergies the Dunecrawler might provide seems to me to be the concussive from neutron-laser:

To HIT an enemy would be enough to reduce Ini to 1... Taser-Infiltrators (together with Vanguard?) after that seems to be one of very few things to kill the new Canoptech-Phantoms...

One of the most important buffs/synergies the Dunecrawler might provide seems to me to be the concussive from neutron-laser:

To HIT an enemy would be enough to reduce Ini to 1... Taser-Infiltrators (together with Vanguard?) after that seems to be one of very few things to kill the new Canoptech-Phantoms...

Yes you are missing something, because that's not how Concussive works I'm afraid. You need to do an unsaved wound in order to drop the initiative (ans it's one a model by model, not unit basis). So any Wraiths (which is what I assume you mean) are either dead from ID, or absolutely fine.

Yes you are missing something, because that's not how Concussive works I'm afraid. You need to do an unsaved wound in order to drop the initiative (ans it's one a model by model, not unit basis). So any Wraiths (which is what I assume you mean) are either dead from ID, or absolutely fine.

Duh... yes, Wraiths... my bad.^^ Tragic. So quite nice against MCs but not against the necrons (maybe small success against Harvester-Formation, but...). Thanks for pointing that out anyway.

maybe more logikoma than tachikoma; those were alot more boxy and didnt have the big pilot's butt on them.

so today im sharing my solution to the weapons loadouts.  this is how i magnetized them:

11052398_10153185350756224_8984004436388

I started off by making an opening wide enough for a 3/16x1/32 to fit near the top of the slit in the gun housings.  i aligned the holes so they mostly line up directly behind the top barrel of the gun option you're mounting.

then, i cut off the top half of the tab on the gun cylinder the plate attaches to.  i then test fitted the parts beside eachother to gauge and approx. idea where to centre my pilot hole to countersink the 2nd magnet.  after that, this is how it looked:

11169819_10153185350751224_7009723577972

both gun options mount flush and firmly enough that they wont budge or fall off.

i didn't magnetize for the Icarus weapons, since my end goal involves purchasing enough onagers that i can stand to glue the icarus weapons on permanently to the ones i want to be that loadout.  the only ones that need modularity are the landbased weapons, since i might want to change those for what ill face.

Archived