Starting Out 4: Onager Dunecrawlers

So after reading the review on talk wargaming  of the Skitarii codex, I am starting to rethink the quality of the eradication beamer. I had initially written it off, distracted by the brutal focus of the Icarus array, the MEQ slaying Blaster or the nasty laser, but, the reviewer there made me think that the cognis manipulator is an excellent piece of kit and that taking a few of them in a squadron along with the Beamer might be a good way to increase their survivability, and would necessitate a sacrifice to keep the cost down. They will cost about 30 pts over base with a manipulator and a heavy stubber, and in a squadron of two or three you will have a 4++ save and IWND. Worth the trade off for not having a specialized weapon?

What do you all think?

i noticed shortly after putting primer on mine that it stopped tilting about immediately.  and with an extra coat of paint on the ball part of the joint underside, it sits rather firmly in place when attached.

So after reading the review on talk wargaming  of the Skitarii codex, I am starting to rethink the quality of the eradication beamer. I had initially written it off, distracted by the brutal focus of the Icarus array, the MEQ slaying Blaster or the nasty laser, but, the reviewer there made me think that the cognis manipulator is an excellent piece of kit and that taking a few of them in a squadron along with the Beamer might be a good way to increase their survivability, and would necessitate a sacrifice to keep the cost down. They will cost about 30 pts over base with a manipulator and a heavy stubber, and in a squadron of two or three you will have a 4++ save and IWND. Worth the trade off for not having a specialized weapon?

What do you all think?

I had thought something similar back in post 19 of this thread, but I also proposed throwing in a probe, maybe two if you are paranoid of losing you Martian probe model.  The higher cost does make me wonder if it really will be worth it, but the more I look at it, the more I think 75 points spent there might not be entirely a bad thing.  There is the added benefit of deterring Dreadnoughts from charging the unit or small depleted units (lone Terminator with a chainfist) as well since the combination of the three S10 attacks back and the 4+ invulnerable will require some assault commitment to deal with. 

Good gravy, Kilo! That's amazing work.

I set about building my first Onager this weekend. The first thing that surprised me is how small the box is; it's the same size as a Skitarii box! Once I got the bits out, I was disappointed to find that there are TONS of itty-bitty pieces that simply shattered when I tried to clip the sprue. In the end, I had to give up on the side ladder (half the rungs were destroyed on clipping) and convert a special rung for the Heavy Stubber ring, since I broke that too. Guess I'm getting clutzy in my old age. unsure.png

That said, I found magnetizing the weapons very clear cut, and was able to get that done in short order. The model itself sits surprisingly well on the base, and is a bit smaller than I expected (but it fits the base well, so that's ok). All in all, I think GW could have charged 10 bucks less for the Onager in terms of what you actually get, especially with the flimsy parts. I'm definitely not as excited to build several more as I am to paint the one I have! rolleyes.gif

Good gravy, Kilo! That's amazing work.

I set about building my first Onager this weekend. The first thing that surprised me is how small the box is; it's the same size as a Skitarii box! Once I got the bits out, I was disappointed to find that there are TONS of itty-bitty pieces that simply shattered when I tried to clip the sprue. In the end, I had to give up on the side ladder (half the rungs were destroyed on clipping) and convert a special rung for the Heavy Stubber ring, since I broke that too. Guess I'm getting clutzy in my old age. unsure.png

That said, I found magnetizing the weapons very clear cut, and was able to get that done in short order. The model itself sits surprisingly well on the base, and is a bit smaller than I expected (but it fits the base well, so that's ok). All in all, I think GW could have charged 10 bucks less for the Onager in terms of what you actually get, especially with the flimsy parts. I'm definitely not as excited to build several more as I am to paint the one I have! rolleyes.gif

I used a razor and steady hand for my kit and didn't break anything, although a few parts did require some very gentle, but numerous cuts to avoid damage. Between the fine sprue removal of the Dunecrawler and the matching game that is the Ranger/Vanguard box (have yet to try the other two kits), you seem to need machine like patience to build a Skitarii army; how fluff appropriate to weed out those not blessed by the Omnissiah.

Once I got the bits out, I was disappointed to find that there are TONS of itty-bitty pieces that simply shattered when I tried to clip the sprue. In the end, I had to give up on the side ladder (half the rungs were destroyed on clipping) and convert a special rung for the Heavy Stubber ring, since I broke that too. Guess I'm getting clutzy in my old age. unsure.png

put pressure opposite the side your clipping. when cutting the rungs, keep one finger on the inside of the rung, pressing gently towards the side your clipping. this puts enough back pressure on delicate parts to keep them from snapping from the pressure of the clippers closing. also try to cut with 2 or 3 half-squeezes instead of a single full squeeze. this cuts the pressure down as well.

i snapped one removing the mold line on the rung, so i modeled the gap on the side it left open as a bullet hole instead.

OK, so I'm considering picking up a squadron of these guys as the model has really grown on me, but I'm not sure how to kit them out. My first thought was 2-Neutron/1-Icarus, but my force will be using multiple FoCs to represent the Explorator force I've been fluffing around with for years now, one of which will be Space Marines for a unit of Centurions(Myrmidon Destructor Coven) and Rapiers(Sagitarii) with Laser Destroyers(because those are the ones I bought ages ago when my hypothetical list was based on Guard/SM, and I'm not wasting 90 bloody quid to buy three more with HBs) - I'm wondering if the Neutrons wouldn't be overkill on antitank, when what I need is really anti-infantry; what's the view on 2-Blaster/1-Icarus as a setup, and on Blaster vs Eradicator for AI duties?

The first thing that surprised me is how small the box is; it's the same size as a Skitarii box!

Thanks for the info! I'll be able to smuggle them past Mrs Rashbold's Phosphoenix gaze!

Seriously, I would like to thank all of you for your comments regarding the Onagers, and even the previous Starting Out threads. You've helped me make quite a notebook as I prepare to dive into assembling my force.

Ciao,

R.

Good advice here regarding keeping the Onager's itty-bitty parts from destroying themselves. My solution was to throw out the broken parts and green stuff the ladder holes shut. Let's just assume my Skitarii Ranger gunner just climbs on the back, eh? I think that's pretty reasonable given his super-enhanced legs and stuff.

That said, for the next one I'm going to either: a. take it easier on the model or b. just take it as it comes and convert what I break. I suppose I fulfill the "pragmatic" mind set of the Mechanicus Technomagi. cool.png

As for Onager equip, I think the Neutron Laser is the "catch all" weapon since it can kill absolutely everything. The downside to it is it can't kill hordes as well as the Eradicator Beamer and doesn't have the nifty Luminagen rule that the Heavy Phosphor Blaster gets. If you really need to kill hordes (Orks, IG, Tyranids) the Eradicator is your best choice, as it's cheapest and is essentially an even more accurate Whirlwind (thanks to Doctrina Imperatives). The only reason to go for the Heavy Phosphor Blaster is the ability to knock down 2-3 MEQ models a turn and/or make use of Luminagen (set up charges for Sicarians/Dragoons/etc. and/or take down enemy cover saves).

• 10 months later...
I'm going to be playing 1850 game vs space marines.

I know he uses a couple of speeders, and at least one storm talon, so I want to take an icarus onager.

I also plan on taking 2 Neutron blaster onagers... do people still recommend do have them as a squadron for the +5 save? I would also buy IWND if in squadron.

Or separate them... means he has tp shoot 2 units, and they get more flexibility themselves on target choice.

Archived