+++E Tenebrae Lux IV - Astra Militarum Strategium+++

ok guys I'm going to go commit sudoku 

I don't know how I managed to make a Skitarii Ranger look so awesome and yet I have three Guardsmen on R&R in some Simple Green because I can't freaking paint them properly and my paints are all silly.  Two nights in a row now and nothing to show for it. I need to go back to Citadel paint perhaps and sacrifice my colors a bit.  I think the hobby store had these Vallejo paints improperly stored or something because they are incredibly inconsistent and off-color and impossible to work with.  I need a Commissar to stop by with some ice cream and make everything OK.

Go take the paint back. Tell them they were deffective paints. If they don't take it back, contact Vallejo and tell them that one of their retailers is giving you a bad time on some of their product. That'll settle that!

We all need to step in and help our comrade! If that's not what the Guard is for then I quit! I mean, I'll still be here but you don't have to talk to me.

I am trying to imagine that I am a really bad novice painter and there is nothing wrong with the paint, but I can't think of what I could have done wrong.  I shook them up and everything, but they still put out water diarrhea with little solid flaky bits without any "goopy" paint consistency.  The colors on two of them were off, but most notably the "orange ochre" was like bright yellow.  In the bottle, it looked congealed and there was neon green substrate of some kind stuck in the edges of the bottle.  I don't know what that was about.

Sounds like bad paint to me, or you're not shaking enough. I don't know what sort of paints the vallejo are, but when I used to do model airplanes, I used Testors acryllic enamel a lot, and you had to give that 50 or so solid whacks against the heel of your hand to get it nice and shook up. 

I did some mud overbrush on the tracks of my Chimeras and around the front and rear, pretty much anywhere mud will accumulate (all over the rear ramp). I just need to add the quickcrete around the bottom of the tracks. I also need to finish basing the infantry, Then they'll be done. 

I have some more models inbound, 14 more Kasrkin, 2 Grey Knight Terminators with Psycannons (the old metal ones, they'll be Ordo Malleus Inquisitors), so I need to get a jug of simple green, because I think some of the kasrkin need to be stripped, and I have to strip a ton of Tau. 

As mine are for a desert environment I end up with dust rather than mud effect :) 

If a good shake doesn't sort a paint out, and perhaps a drop of water then the paint has a problem. What what problem is I can't say of course, perhaps stored in a place too hot or cold or not a properly sealed pot? I can't do ice cream, but I can do power hugs:

gallery_30308_3239_42229.png

Congratulations Azza - Dark blue and purple makes for a unique Commissar! Well done!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Thanks. It is a homage to my old SM chapter The Novahawks long since retired and laid to rest thanks to the forces of Chaos in the form of two cats of unmentionable evil!

OK, I'm posting TEST GUARDSMAN #4.  It looked a lot better ten minutes ago, before I decided to be a dumbass and spray PURITY SEAL on him.  I think I did too much because it gutted most of the detail on the model and a lot of places have this thick grey film.  Not sure how to fix that.  Otherwise, what do you guys think of the scheme in general?  Any tips?  I went back to Citadel with Dryad Bark armor, Steel Legion Drab fatigues, and Deathclaw Brown for the lasgun.  I'm thinking I may do some kind of camo over the fatigues and then just make the lasgun black.

http://i.imgur.com/SHgSVxf.jpg

I am no painting expert but I actually really like the drab look. The blue eye lens give it just the right amount of colour that the browns don't look to over baring.

Also I really like the base.

Advice would be don't use purity seal.... Though you know that now ;)

That looks great, Pudelhund! Sadly, I know of no way that Purity Seal accidents can be resolved.

You kept on working after the other paint failed you. That shows a lot about you. Glad to have you in the Imperial Guard, mate smile.png!

EDIT: Forgot to put in some content. See below.

Progress Report

All brass trimming has been shaded and highlights have been started. Luckily, this pot of Sycorax Bronze was able to be rejuvenated by a bit of water and a lot of shaking. All goes well on the Knightly front.

My idea for the next vow: I don't know if there will be one, honestly. Another Freeblade was in the works but with my health the way it is and not being able to sit at the chair for very long because of it, I just don't see it happening. Well, there is one thing I could try. A while back, I had started on a Demolisher and, funnily enough, completed the build. It's not even been primed so it's good to go for a vow. Here's the deal: I've been wanting to try out an idea for an armour camouflage that mirrors my infantry's fatigues. The tank's colours will be painted in the Nordic Splinter style camouflage.

Should I give it a go after I finish this Knight?

Pudelhund, It looks fine, a bit shiny, but that's probably the purity seal. That's a good look on the overall model, and I agree with Azzagorn about the eye lenses, just enough contrast to break up the browns. I personally don't care for the color brown on the lasgun, I would have gone for a lighter or darker brown (as if the weapon had been painted) with some black overbrush and silver drybrush around the edges to give it a worn paint look. Ultimately, it's up to you. If you're happy with it, that's all that matters, and anyone that would criticize (negatively) your paint scheme, would be a that guy, and should probably be dreadsocked, especially if he were criticizing work that good...

We are just preparing for the next push.

Guardsmen, for The Emperor!

Show Him the worth of the Imperial Guard.

I will push hard to get the Medusas done for the end of the week.

Looks great to me Pudel - I'd just not bother with the seal as I usually hear about it besmirching models like this. Meh I'd go with the Demolisher, we have a fair amount of time left but better not to risk if if you're worried about completion.

I'm working on my tank today, I will have an update posted at some point :)

Here's my progress for the day, I think I've spent long enough hunched over my desk and I'm ahead of schedule:

gallery_30308_10714_48927.jpg

The lenses are all done, so aside from some final details on the back it's just the white, heavy bolters and touch ups left biggrin.png Won't be a problem for me to finish next week which is just as well as it's already starting to fill up with stuff...

Remember comrades that glory waits for none, so seize the day! thumbsup.gif

Good to see progress being made! Lets push for more completions! Let's give the rest of the B&C something to be jealous of! Relentless determination, boundless confidence, and natural talent! Onward, to victory!

All should follow Patton's standing order, "Always take the offensive, never dig in!"

Ha ha whoops I checked out your recent pic WarriorFish and thought to myself "Ok let's see what it looks like...where's the paint?"

The main colour made it look like it was the grey plastic to my eyes. :P

Looks great. :)

Thanks Krieg, I did paint the inside of a customised Inquisitorial Land Raider a grey once and it turned out looking like plastic... Quite a feat considering it wasn't a pure colour but one I've been careful not to repeat :lol: I'll need to get better pictures for the completion though as I've noticed that the track weathering isn't particularly visible but there's plenty of time for that :)

Archived