Liber Challenge III - Imperial Guard/Traitor Guard/Cults

Aqui

I find it both amusing, yet terrifying, just how large this article can end up being. I'm on a my 6th page on word and about three quarters done. Hopefully I'll finish it by the end of the week...

smaller font ??

@Aquilanus

thank you... no eternal damnation [phew !!!]

Having never done this before, what else is necessary to complete the vow?

Hello, Gunmonkey. Apologies, I'm sorry no one answered your question earlier, brother. These are the things you'll need to have a complete article:

Name of Regiment/Warband/Cult

Home planet/planet army is based upon

Name of its Founder(s)

Notable characters

History

Significant battles joined

I hope that helps.

Huzzah! Does this mean I can wear the badge, or do I need to wait until the event ends? I noticed that the two ribbon completion badges haven't been put in the main post yet?

I believe you can wear a completed badge now, if you're done. The Ribbons will go up soon. ;)

Gunmonkey88 and Warriorfish - apologies. I thought I'd addressed everything sad.png Thanks Olis for the cover msn-wink.gif

So here's the Completed product. I have Completed my Vow. I don't know the name of the unit's founder, it has been around for millennia and that name has been lost to time.

The Imperial Guard's 2nd Special Service Force "The Devil's Brigade"

The World- Nieflheim:

The world of Nieflheim has been known since before the rise of the Imperium. I was named for a place in Norse mythology. The discoverer, named it such as the planet's many verdant, lush valleys and craggy fjords were often blanketed in dense fog. Much of the world is covered in mountains and hills. They range from new peaks that pierce the stratosphere to old rolling hills covered in trees. Many of the ranges are rocky and arid, casting vast rain shadows over the lands. Most in the Imperium would classify Nieflheim as a deathworld, as it's harsh and varied climates are generally considered too extreme for human habitation. Despite this, the original settlers were able to tame the world, though, even to this day, venturing out into the wilds unprepared is to invite death. Unprepared, the varied creatures would devour the unwary traveler. The equatorial jungles are teeming with dangerous  wildlife, and the temperate regions are home to large and dangerous mammals. The deserts are hellish, and the oceans are tumultuous and teeming with dangerous cratures. The weather in many regions is extreme, wind storms that can throw men about like rag dolls, and storms that regularly drop hail the size of men's fists. In many ways Neflheim  is much as Terra once was. 

However, it is in the lush river valleys that Civilization blooms, advanced to a level of a civilized world. The industrial sector, while not as vast as an industrial world is sizable enough to provide for the citizens. Overall the quality of life is good, Cities are small, and are centers of trade, administration, and entertainment only, very few people live in the cities. Military service is mandatory, and there are different levels of service, 4 years active duty is required of everyone, after which you may be released to the reserves, This allows the world to remain fortified, while still allowing for the freedoms allowed on Civilized worlds. The PDF is a fully combined arms force, with Airborne forces, Armored forces, and Infantry forces, as well as traditional Naval forces. The Imperial Guard and Imperial Navy also maintain a presence here, a small fleet in orbit to patrol the subsector. The Imperial Guard forces include the Elite Stormtroopers of the 2nd Special Service Force, a brigade sized formation of Light Infantry, and the 172nd Armored Division, Made up of 4 regiments of tanks and infantry.

The northern polar continent has been settled by an exiled Great Company of Space Wolves and the people of Neiflheim have accepted them. The Wolves mainly keep to the northern continent and the fishing villages along the northern coasts, they venture out when need of them arises, to combat Chaos, or to trade for supplies. 

"The Black Devil's Brigade":

Brigade Commander: Colonel Soren Ivaarssen 
A towering individual of respected stature. He has commanded the Brigade for the last 25 years, and been a member since it was rebuilt after the first tyranid incursions. He has commanded the Brigade against Necrons, Tau, and renegades. 

Enlisted Advisor: Sergeant Major Ian Johnston
He has been the Sergeant Major for the Brigade for almost thirty years,and was one of the survivors of the Expedition to Klybos. He is a stern man, but well respected by all of the men in th Brigade, and Colonel Ivaarssen greatly respects his opinion.  

Lord Commissar: Thaddeus Gant
He is known to be a fair man, rarely harsh in his judgements, and the commissars that report to him are equally rational. He takes the morale of the brigade very seriously, and does everything he can to ensure that the men are treated well. He has learned that he must be careful in assigning commissars in the brigade, as only the most unorthodox Commissars survive. He considers himself an advisor to Colonel Ivaarssen.

The Brigade:

The 2nd Special Service Force, or the Black Devil's Brigade, as they are known, are fierce fighters, Highly trained men, each exceptionally skilled, they are not widely known. They are the Imperium's silent professionals.

The Brigade is organized as a combined arms force, and is along the lines of the ancient Brigade Combat Team concept. The Stormtroopers, the infantry, are properly known as the 75th Light Rifle Regiment (Rangers), While the land vehicles are from the 75th Cavalry Regiment. There is a battalion of combat engineers, the 2nd Brigade Engineer Battalion (Sappers). The 160th Combat Aviation Regiment provides the Brigade's Air support. 

Due to the rugged nature of their homeworld they are skilled mountaineers, hunters, and trackers. They are skilled in many types of warfare, they train in the varied climates of their world. 

In every action they have seen, they always move in quickly and quietly, penetrating the enemy defenses, killing their sentries with deadly efficiency, never allowing their mission to descend into pandemonium. Friendly forces always awake to the sound of silence after the Brigade has accomplished their mission, they come and go like vengeful specters. Their hotshot lasguns are fitted with signature suppressors, that reduces the sound of the weapon, to merely the static crack of superheated air. 

They have jumped into hostile territories out numbered and out gunned, assaulted mountain fortresses, broken entrenched sieges, assassinated rogue governors and exterminated heretic cults. They have done all of this quietly and efficiently. Rare is the occasion that the enemy is able to raise an alarm. The men of the Brigade generally operate in small teams, yet always acting in unison, as if they were all of one mind. Each man knows the men beside him, having lived and
trained with them for many years. They are heirs to an ancient military heritage dating back many, many millennia.

The Black Devils view camaraderie in high regard. They are known to be boisterous, when not in battle, and often times they can be seen enjoying food, drink, and competition in their down time. It is not uncommon to see informal unit gatherings, officers, commissioned and non commissioned alike, socializing with their troops. This behavior is, in fact, encouraged, and their ability to separate work from play is one thing that makes them so efficient. 

The Mechanicum's presence within the Brigade is negligible, as only the most open-minded Techpriests can abide the near constant stream of field expedient modifications the soldiers make to their gear. For instance, the signature suppressors are one of the many field expedient modifications that have been made.
The presence of the commissariat is equally small. Many commissars have ended up dead after trying to execute men for falling back. Only Commissars that have demonstrated flexibility, and a grasp of small unit tactics live long enough to truly become part of the Brigade. 

The brigade favors hit and run raids, ambushes, and fast assaults. If they cannot hit a position or their position is disadvantageous, they will fall back to a position that is better, or they will fall back to come at the problem from a different direction. Observation and patience is a hallmark of the Black devil's. It may take days for them to hit a position, but when they do, it is always fast, and vicious. 

The 2nd Special Service Force is among the finest the Imperium of Man can offer.

2SSF Organization:

1st Regimental Combat Team
1st Battallion 75th Light Rifle Regiment (Rangers)
A Company, 1st Battalion, 75th Cavalry
A Company, 2nd Brigade Engineers Battalion (Sappers)
1st Battalion, 160th Combat Aviation Regiment

2nd Regimental Combat Team
2nd Battallion 75th Light Rifle Regiment (Rangers)
B Company, 1st Battalion, 75th Cavalry
B Company, 2nd Brigade Engineers Battalion (Sappers)
2nd Battalion, 160th Combat Aviation Regiment

3rd Regimental Combat Team
3rd  Battallion 75th Light Rifle Regiment (Rangers)
C Company, 1st Battalion, 75th Cavalry
C Company, 2nd Brigade Engineers Battalion (Sappers)
3rd Battalion, 160th Combat Aviation Regiment

Notable Engagements:

The Scourging of Gudrun-
The brigade participated in the elimination of the Chaos taint present in the Scarus Subsector. Only the 1st Regimental Combat Team was deployed to the Scarus subsector, consisting of: 1st Battalion, 75th light Rifles; A Company, 1st Battalion, 75th Cavalry; A Company 2nd Brigade Engineers Battallion; and 1st Battalion 160th Combat Aviation Regiment. They operated in small airmobile teams moving over the planet. They worked with local forces to locate the Cultists and quietly eliminated them. They were 

The Raid on Tau'n
During the Taros Campaign a small force from 2nd RCT  launched a raid against Tau supply lines in order to take the pressure off of Imperial forces on Taros. The raid was successful and the force was able to recover tau technologies for study by the Inquisition. 

Raid on Klybo
3rd RCT was dispatched to the dead world Klybo to provide assistance to a Mechanium Survey Mission to recover lost technologies. Only a few of the survey mission and a handful of men from the security force survived the encounter, and required a hot extraction from the world. They were faced with a relentless swarm of machines, which were later identified as canoptek wraiths, scarabs and spyders. The 3rd RCT is the most highly deployed unit and has thus sustained the heaviest losses. 

The Necron Incursions
Several Necron Dynasties have tried to establish tomb worlds in the Subsector Nieflheim occupies, and  were it not for warning provided by the Eldar, the fight would have been much harder than it was. These incursions mark some of the few times the entire brigade has been deployed as a whole. The Eldar provided much needed assistance during these incursions, and have proven to be a valuable asset when dealing with the Necrons.

Tau Skirmishes
There have been several border skirmishes with the Farsight Enclaves, with nothing truly decided. However the Tau have been willing to work with Imperial forces in the past, and the Brigade is ever watchful for useful assets. 

Tyranid Incursions
With the Arrival of Tyranid Hive Fleets the Brigade has been mobilized on several occasions, all proving to be very hard won victories, in some cases the tyranid horde was only stopped at the cost of entire battalions. These have proven to be the costliest actions in which the brigade has taken part. 

Chaos Infiltrations
There have been a few Chaos cults that have sprung up on Nieflheim, and most have been quickly eliminated, however one led to the arrival of a warband that ended in the slaughter of House Volsung, the Knight House that Stood Guard over Nieflheim for millenia. This Attack was quickly put down byt the Brigade's 1st RCT.

Scuffles with the Inquisition:
The Brigade's stance on working with Xenos when it is advantageous to humanity, has brought them into conflict with the Ordo Xenos. Chaos incursions on their world have drawn the attention of the Ordo Malleus, but the Brigade's impeccable history of devotion to the Imperium, and the citizen's swift response to the chaos incursions have dissuaded the Inquisition from going any further than keeping a watchful eye.

Freeblades: House Volsung
There exist on Nieflhiem the remnants of a once noble Knight house. The Freeblade "Revenant", formerly Sir Hamish MacDonald, of the native House Volsung, a small house residing in the northern highlands of Nieflheim, is but one of the few remaining. The knights have stood guard on this world since before the Age of strife. Recently however a Chaos warband raided a nearby world and the forces of Nieflhim were called upon to eliminate them. The house was slaughtered to all but a few. They all bear the scarlet and gold livery of the Volsung, but they have adopted the camouflage schemes of the 2nd Special Service Force and the 172nd Armored Division. 

The 2nd Special Service Force's color Scheme:

WP 20150405 006

I hope this does it.

Does my entry meet muster?

It is very nearly there, I think - it is painfully close to being a legitimate completion. With the information provided, it is difficult to specifically point out a 'History' section. Perhaps this may be because a lot of relevant information is mixed in with the rest of the article. If you can give us a paragraph or two of regimental history (not battles, mark you), then I would probably say that it would be complete - so long a Aquilanus concurs, of course.   

Does my entry meet muster?

It is very nearly there, I think - it is painfully close to being a legitimate completion. If you can give us a paragraph or two of regimental history (not battles, mark you), then I would probably say that it would be complete - so long a Aquilanus concurs, of course.

That's all I can see that needs to have added thumbsup.gif

What about mine? I fear I may have jumped the gun. Let me know if anything needs help.

Just briefly scanned it. Everything seems to be there except a little bit on notable characters (Commissar, Colonel etc) smile.png

So, after about ten days and ten pages worth of writing, I have finally finished my write-up of my regiment the Vostroyan Firstborn 185th Regiment 'The Loyal Few".

To document this, I posted everything on my army thread in the Astra Militarum Forum here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/307708-vostroyan-firstborn-regiment-185th-reporting-in/?p=4060612

Oh... And I want to thank the inventor of the hidden function on the forum. It make this so much easier to put up.

How did you do the hidden content?

[hidden] This is hidden[/hidden]
Hidden Content
This is hidden

smile.png

I really hate to derail the post but I need some clarification. What's the difference between Spoiler and Hidden? I mean, if you can still read the hidden data, why is the option to hide it available? Also, is it fun to use because that could be awesome?

I really hate to derail the post but I need some clarification. What's the difference between Spoiler and Hidden? I mean, if you can still read the hidden data, why is the option to hide it available? Also, is it fun to use because that could be awesome?

It basically stems down to the original function of "spoiler". It was the only way to hide information at the time. Of course, others wanted to be able to "compress" or hide big passages of information but rather than use the spoiler button (which could be misleading if not used to prevent spoiling information), some members asked for another way of hiding stuff.

The "hidden" button was the result smile.png

It basically stems down to the original function of "spoiler". It was the only way to hide information at the time. Of course, others wanted to be able to "compress" or hide big passages of information but rather than use the spoiler button (which could be misleading if not used to prevent spoiling information), some members asked for another way of hiding stuff.

The "hidden" button was the result smile.png

It was paulJams idea with input from Jolemai in a post in Suggestions worked by Brother Tyler.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/307771-spoiler-alternative/

Archived