The XIII Legion, Ultramarines

I use Royal Soverign shapers in the 0 and 2 sizes and the 'firm' rigidity. I've tried some of the softer clay shapers and didn't care for them.

If you're up for a little converting of some plastic 40k legs, I did tutorial a couple years ago on converting mk VI legs to mk IV. http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/283813-tutorial-converting-mk-vi-legs-to-mk-iv-legs/

My UM were going to be all MkII and III, but then they brought out the upgrades for MkIV... So I'll have a sprinkling of that in there. I'll see what they look like on MkII and III legs/bodies etc.

Would you mind posting pics of a praetor helm (unglued) in a mk 2 torso?

I have some MK3 bodies waiting for heads so I'll get a pic of that for you and I might have a MK2 whose head can be removed pretty easily. Any preference as to the helm? There are like 5 different heads.

My UM were going to be all MkII and III, but then they brought out the upgrades for MkIV... So I'll have a sprinkling of that in there. I'll see what they look like on MkII and III legs/bodies etc.

I have some MK3 bodies waiting for heads so I'll get a pic of that for you and I might have a MK2 whose head can be removed pretty easily. Any preference as to the helm? There are like 5 different heads.

any of the praetor ones should be fine.

Thanks!

any of the praetor ones should be fine.

Thanks!

I didn't even realise you'd asked me, sorry! I don't have them yet haha otherwise I would, luckily Reyners got a handle on things ;)

Ok so I need some opinions. 

My army is going to based of the 4th company led by ventanus during Calth and the underworld war. Im thinking that mk 2 was still the most common armor mk amoung the 4th company with praetor only starting to come in. Does this sound reasonable, or would praetor be fairly common with the 4th? I know Ventanus himself still wears mk 2.

Around the time of the Heresy, Mk4 Maximus plate is in wide use (and the the latest official mark in mass production) so I'd say it's likely that the Praetor variant is probably more prevalent than the old Mk2 Crusade armour. 

Around the time of the Heresy, Mk4 Maximus plate is in wide use (and the the latest official mark in mass production) so I'd say it's likely that the Praetor variant is probably more prevalent than the old Mk2 Crusade armour. 

I figured tho the ultramarines would have limited mk 4, due to horus giving it to the traitor legions?

I figured tho the ultramarines would have limited mk 4, due to horus giving it to the traitor legions?

The Ultramarines start the War with several marques in use, including Mk4 plate. What with Praetor armour being a variant of Mk4 in production solely for the Ultramarines, it'd be the default equipment to replace wrecked kit or to issue to new space marines. It stands to reason there'd be more examples of Praetor armour (in local production) than Crusade armour (not in wide production).

However, if you wish to use Mk2 armour, then by all means do so. It's not anyone's place, least of all myself, to tell you what you can or cannot model your army with. 

The Ultramarines start the War with several marques in use, including Mk4 plate. What with Praetor armour being a variant of Mk4 in production solely for the Ultramarines, it'd be the default equipment to replace wrecked kit or to issue to new space marines. It stands to reason there'd be more examples of Praetor armour (in local production) than Crusade armour (not in wide production).

However, if you wish to use Mk2 armour, then by all means do so. It's not anyone's place, least of all myself, to tell you what you can or cannot model your army with. 

No i like all the feedback! Im sorta OCD for lore accuracy too :D.

Heres a little snip for FWPraetorian armour is a variant of Mk IV ‘Maximus’ pattern battle plate, produced in the factories of Ultramar for the most recently raised chapters of the Ultramarines. 

So, that quote leads me to believe that praetor was only widely used in the newest chapters.

On a slightly different note, is there a hate for the ultramarines amoung this forum? On other forums ive been on i see lots of people calling them down and being fairly childish, but so far you guys seem really respectful.

That really annoys me on other forums. It did even before I was an UM fan.

On a slightly different note, is there a hate for the ultramarines amoung this forum? On other forums ive been on i see lots of people calling them down and being fairly childish, but so far you guys seem really respectful.

Nah, we don't make fun of the Boy Scout Legion ;)

They get better coverage in 30k...they actually feel like Ultramarines rather than the 40k Matt Ward special snowflake division. Know no Fear and UE were great.

I wouldn't say there's hate, per se. There's the odd comment here and there, unfortunately, but the general consensus (I believe) is that if you're going to hate - properly straight up flamebait hate - on a faction, be prepared for others to call you out on being immature or living in the past. A little friendly banter might happen, but it's not meant in a malicious manner, unlike certain places outside B&C.

Ok great to hear:) I dont mind people saying smurf here and there, but when they constantly try to be cool by bringing the XIII low it does get annoying. I do think alot of the people that do hate are the ones that maybe dont know alot about the lore, especially the 30k lore.

But i knew you guys were respectful! 

Ok great to hear:) I dont mind people saying smurf here and there, but when they constantly try to be cool by bringing the XIII low it does get annoying. I do think alot of the people that do hate are the ones that maybe dont know alot about the lore, especially the 30k lore.

But i knew you guys were respectful!

Probably Alan Bligh wrote some really cool fluff in the book that we'll all like :)

Tempest is ordered.....I wonder how long it will take to get here.

I have been consulting the book, and have beem discussing opinions and tactics on the forums. I have a pretty good grasp on how to make a strong Ultramarines legion list now, so ask me if you'd like some inspiration!

I'll hold my hands up and admit that when it comes to the 40K Ultramarines I refer to them as smurfs/Marysues and all other kinds of unflattering names since that's at the same level of artistic creativity we've been peddled. 30K Ultramarines however, nothing of the sort. I actually want to do them as a Legion project which says a hell of a lot on the quality of the writing in Tempest

Tempest is ordered.....I wonder how long it will take to get here.

I have been consulting the book, and have beem discussing opinions and tactics on the forums. I have a pretty good grasp on how to make a strong Ultramarines legion list now, so ask me if you'd like some inspiration!

Would you mind telling me how telemechrus' rules are? And are the suzerian worth getting? 

I'll hold my hands up and admit that when it comes to the 40K Ultramarines I refer to them as smurfs/Marysues and all other kinds of unflattering names since that's at the same level of artistic creativity we've been peddled. 30K Ultramarines however, nothing of the sort. I actually want to do them as a Legion project which says a hell of a lot on the quality of the writing in Tempest

Im a 30k guy, so i like to hear that. When it comes to 40k i honestly find all space marines a tad bland, and lacking character.

I NEED my copy of Tempest to arrive.....When i get it, i shall look at the portrait of ventnaus, and admire his hair.

And yes fire golem, my first 40k army was Tau. I got my space marine army soley because of the horus heresy novels and at the time FW HH wasnt available.

Archived