No, I won't be drilling the smoke launchers.  OR the small holes on the exhaust for that matter.  And, as mentioned, I'll be leaving off the combi-bolter, as I feel the pintle mount is too big for the tank and makes the whole think look weird.  It's that old 'tanks are one scale, infantry another' thing, and the pintle mount is done in the infantry scale, and just looks wrong to me.  There's not really another place to mount a combi bolter on it, so the model's just going to make do with an invisible combi bolter.

• 2 weeks later...

The Chosen are finally, finally done!

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z142/Malisteen/Black%20Legion/etl10_zpskygiiphn.jpg

The gang's all here!

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z142/Malisteen/Black%20Legion/etl11_zpste9dadrl.jpg

Gustav, Victor, and Dominik

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z142/Malisteen/Black%20Legion/etl12_zpsugh1axdq.jpg

Gregor and Marcellus

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z142/Malisteen/Black%20Legion/etl13_zpsvx5gjcvt.jpg

Reeve and Kristof

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z142/Malisteen/Black%20Legion/etl14_zpsv6hzcsmv.jpg

Konrad, Levi, and Marius

These pictures were taken at the store, to take advantage of the terrain.  Closeups showing off and bases and more of the individual detail and different angles will follow in the future, though with the end of ETL looming quickly, may have to wait until after the event is over.  The little fluff bits I was writing are also on hold for the same reason - writing is, if anything, slower than painting, and I'm running out of time for even that.

For now, it's enough to know that the chosen are finally done, and they look great, and I'm super proud of them.

But speaking of the end of ETL, I've only a week for my final pledge, one that must satisfy my soul vow AND catch me up to my hated rival Forté!

I really want to paint the rhinos.  But rhinos aren't a great return on points.  But with Subtle Discord's bits they look amazing!  But... hated Forté...

You know what?  Screw it!  I just painted one fantastic unit of chosen, and they deserve an awesome looking ride, so whatever!  I'm doing it!

SURPRISE, FORTÉ!!!

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z142/Malisteen/Black%20Legion/etl09_zpsf1ewvwmc.jpg

That's right!  I got me a Forgeworld Dreadclaw, and I didn't tell nobody, just so I could surprise you with my amazing new toy that I have and you don't have!!!!

How's that jealousy feeling now!!!!   HAA HAA HAA HEE HEE HEE HOO HOO HOO HAA HAA HAA HEE HEE HEE HOO HOO HOO HAA HAA HAA HEE HEE HEE HOO HOO HOO HAA HAA HAA HEE HEE HEE HOO HOO HOO HAA HAA HAA HEE HEE HEE HOO HOO HOO HAA HAA HAA HEE HEE HEE HOO HOO HOO HAA HAA HAA HEE HEE HEE HOO HOO HOO HAA HAA HAA HEE HEE HEE HOO HOO HOO HAA HAA HAA HEE HEE HEE HOO HOO HOO HAA HAA HAA HEE HEE HEE HOO HOO HOO HAA HAA HAA HEE HEE HEE HOO HOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course the Rhinos are coming along as well, properly blinged up to rake in a few more upgrade points to help justify the time spent painting them:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z142/Malisteen/Black%20Legion/etl07_zpsvktkltr4.jpg

Each rhino boasts a dirge caster, havoc launcher, dozer blades, warpflame gargoyles, and extra armor, for a grand total of 72 points each

Of course, even blinging out my rhinos to a semi-ridiculous degree, that still doesn't bring me up to my soul vow, let alone matching Forté.  So how could I make up the difference?  What dark power could I possibly call upon in my time of need?  What caliginous hellspawn would see fit to step from the shadows and answer my it's Be'lakor it's totally Be'lakor guys it's my fancy Final Fantasy 8 Diabolos counts-as Be'lakor figure check it out:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z142/Malisteen/Black%20Legion/Belakor01_zps1f7b9251.jpg

Hey, remember this badass?  Yeah, he never stopped from being a thing, and now the Dark Master has returned to help me seal my victory over Forté.

So, yeah, here's everything all together.  We're coming for you Forté!  The Crimson Eyes will claim glory once again, in the name of Abaddon and the Black Legion!

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z142/Malisteen/Black%20Legion/etl08_zps9ozhylcz.jpg

WE ARE RETURNED

Hahaha awesome! The chosen have turned out splendidly, and the BOOM! Dreadclaw surprise washilarious. And daring. Especially with the two rhino's, be'lakor, your intricate paint style, and those two rhino's on the way. Good luck!!!

There will be corners cut.  The vehicles in particular will be painted to 'table standard' rather than 'chosen standard', and the Dreadclaw's flying stand (which it will eventually be permanently affixed to, as the menacing downward angle I cut it to also renders it unable to balance without being glued) might be left until after ETL, since the thing is technically fine just upping around on the tines.  The real risk is Be'lakor.  We'll see how it goes.

I've hit my first stumbling block.  There are some gaps on the rhino trim that I intended to greenstuff, but alas I was out.  So I went to the store today to procure more, but they were out.  I could order it, of course, but it wouldn't arrive for a week and a half, so I have to come up with another way to fill in the gaps.

Fortunately, I have a plan.  The trim is all of a relatively uniform thickness, and I have a spare length of it from where I put in one of the dozer blades, so I will attempt to cut small sections from that and fit it to the trim that is already there.

Tomorrow is a big day, as I only have three completely free days left - sunday, tuesday, and thursday.  Monday is completely shot, and I'll get an afternoon on either wednesday or friday but probably not both.  Belakor is going to take at least an entire day to himself to get up to tabletop standard (not chosen standard, but ETL doesn't require that), so I really need the base coats - metal parts, gold trim, basecoat grey, first wash - done on all three transports tomorrow to have any sort of hope.  One day for the vehicle base coats, one day to finish them up to basic tabletop standard, and one day plus an afternoon to get belakor presentable.  That's the plan, with no room for my typical dilly dallying or deviation.  However, I am confident that I will succeed, for the stakes are simply too high.  If I fail, I will need to bear the badge of shame AND amend my signature to link to Forte's thread rather than my own AND paint an HQ in Forté's colors, who will take over as commander of my army in all games I play until I'm able to win back my honor with a victory - to be documented in a battle report with pictures.

I will not let that happen.

Sunday ETL progress:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z142/Malisteen/Black%20Legion/etl15_zps7in0qboq.jpg

The trim issue previously aluded to has been handled to my satisfaction, priming is done, along with black undercoat (to get what the primer missed) and the initial silver layer.  All in all, a not inconsiderable amount of progress, though not as much progress as I would have liked.  I was aiming to have the base coat on the gold - likely to require two layers - done as well, and maybe some initial wash work, which means tomorrow has to be another painting day, when it had previously been set aside for other things.  Ah, well, no homestuck liveblog liveblogging for me this week, I guess.  If I can make up what I missed tomorrow, then I should be on track to 'finish' (again, to table standard, not chosen standard) these vehicles Tuesday, which will leave Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday to work on Belakor.

I'm being a bit more fast, loose, and messy with the trim than I normally am, with the hope that I'll save more time on the trim than it costs me on black touch ups.  I'm also shifting the way I paint the black around a bit here, having mixed a very dark grey matching more or less the tone of the usual 'dark grey plus two black washes' of my typical scheme.  The plan is to paint this new grey over the black panels after the trim is done, and then paint black wash just into the recesses.  Some parts of the chosen were painted this way as a touch up method, so I'm fairly confident in the resulting look.  I have no idea yet whether it will actually save time to make it the default method or not.

Tuesday ETL progress:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z142/Malisteen/Black%20Legion/etl16_zpsxcwbyaih.jpg

Unfortunately, monday painting didn't happen after all.  The vehicles were supposed to be done today, at least to 'tabletop standard', but they're not.  However, after an eight hour painting session without breaks today (mostly sunk into the gold, which got like six assorted layers), they are pretty close.  A highlight on the exhausts, fix up the black panels with a dark, dark grey, followed by a black wash into the recesses, and I'd be ready to call them done enough to field, which would make them done enough for ETL.

There has been another serious setback, however.  See how there's no dirge casters where the dirge casters go?  That's because they were left at the store, which I am only realizing right now as I type this post.  They are small bits, too, so there's a high likelihood they'll be thrown out.  Heck, I might have thrown them out myself in my rush to clean up and leave when the store closed.

It's not the biggest disaster, there are alternate dirge caster bits in the packs, but the speaker nubs lean the wrong way, and if I have to paint them from scratch, that's going to be another delay.

I'm not going to lie, things look bad, and that dirge caster thing has me really disheartened, but it's not over yet.

*deleted* ...If not for this hobby, than for other forbidden hobbies that shall go unnamed.

Dude! STD follows this thread! Are you insane! msn-wink.gif

edited..and you know why!

Did someone say FUN!!?!?!?!?!?

Seriously good chosen btw... amazing work, who'd have thought Black Legion could be so... pretty :D

You-hew, malisteeeeeeeen! Done yet? :)

Don't let the loss of dirge casters disheart you. You're doing great. Get that paint session in today and tomorrow, you'll rock it to the finish line. Don't forget Be'lakor though :tu:

Seems I'll just have to console myself by painting a large Tooth Fairy bust after the ETL msn-wink.gif

So your painting the bust of a large tooth fairy, or a large tooth fairys bust O.o

Seems I'll just have to console myself by painting a large Tooth Fairy bust after the ETL msn-wink.gif

So your painting the bust of a large tooth fairy, or a large tooth fairys bust O.o

You know which it is. You've seen it.

Now c'mon Mal

Archived