Skitarii and Mechanicum HARD DATA review

Seathal

For me it's pretty hard to magnetize the icarius as I have no clue how it would work for putting the missile launcher on.

Just magnetize the Skull/Ad Mech Symbol so that you can take it off and magnetize the missle launcher as well.

Also, use youtube buddy! This is literally the first video that pops up when you enter "Magnetize Dunecrawler":

Seriously, it is alright to ask people but hacking the problem into Google and Youtube should always be the first step. Otherwise, people will think you are too lazy to look this up yourself. tongue.png

....Touche.

Also, with a little careful drilling, you can hinge the top hatch with a bit of brass, then magnetize the stubber gunner (should you ever need to choose between those 5 points on the Onager or elsewhere in your list). Fill the hole in the cupola (a bit of shaped sprue does this), a magnet set in the cupola, another in the gunner's base, and the gun just rests on the rail.

I'm lazy so I assembled three of the four main guns - the TL heavy phosphor blasters are rubbish and share one component with the skyfire thingy - and blu tac is sufficient to hold them in place.

I didn't like the way the heavy stubber sat in front of the closed hatch so I did a little cutting and converting but the magnets were easy. I can get you some pictures if you're interested.

I need a bit of advice about charging.

1. We all know that situation. There is this unit that our CC squad wants to charge but it has to make a 11" charge and fails. Now our squad will be charged instead. How do you avoid this? Deployment-zones are normally 24" apart and with Scout we get it down to 18". If we don't have first turn, these 18" are a pretty easy charge for armies that have their troops in assault vehicles (6" vehicle movement + 6" exit leave an easy 6" charge distance). And if we do have first turn, we only have one round of fire before the enemy is upon us. So how do we avoid being charged?
  2. Now for the opposide: How do you get (reliably) into CC without getting caught yourself? As said, even Scouting seems a bit risky, since e.g. our Dragoons would probably get into CC on turn 2 but likewise could be charged by turn 2 form the enemy, thus loosing their crucial Ini 6. 
  3. Counter-Charging! Any tips/tactics how to utilize this? Do you just deploy for example a Squad of Vanguard in front of some Ruststalkers/Infiltrators/Dragoons in the hope that the enemy will charge them and either wipe them out (leaving the enemy open to our shooting) or be stuck in them, thus suffering their -1T when our other Squad charges in?

1. Deployment-zones are normally 24" apart and with Scout we get it down to 18". If we don't have first turn, these 18" are a pretty easy charge for armies that have their troops in assault vehicles (6" vehicle movement + 6" exit leave an easy 6" charge distance). And if we do have first turn, we only have one round of fire before the enemy is upon us. So how do we avoid being charged?

If the unit scouts, it can't charge first turn (game turn, not player turn), so scouting the CC squad towards the enemy is not exactly wise. If you want a turn one charge, don't scout, and wait for the enemy to get closer. Setting it up for a turn 2 charge is the alternative, scouting into cover while pre-calculating enemy charge distance and turns until they are allowed to charge. If the enemy goes first, he has 2 turns to get the job done, plan accordingly.

Now for the opposide: How do you get (reliably) into CC without getting caught yourself? As said, even Scouting seems a bit risky, since e.g. our Dragoons would probably get into CC on turn 2 but likewise could be charged by turn 2 form the enemy, thus loosing their crucial Ini 6.

Pre-calculating. The guaranteed movement bonus, both in regular movement and charge, vs. terrain inbetween. Set up the opponent for a 11-12" charge, that way he might risk exposing his CC unit, or he won't, and the guaranteed movement should get it done.

Counter-Charging! Any tips/tactics how to utilize this? Do you just deploy for example a Squad of Vanguard in front of some Ruststalkers/Infiltrators/Dragoons in the hope that the enemy will charge them and either wipe them out (leaving the enemy open to our shooting) or be stuck in them, thus suffering their -1T when our other Squad charges in?

Depends on the situation. Speedbump vanguard always works, regular tac marine squads usually don't kill a vanguard squad with one charge, and are an easy target for counter-charge. No matter how they deal with the vanguard (shooting/charging successful/unsuccessful), individual units can't kill both squads, leaving one to finish the job.

Today I played 1500 points vs. Space Marines (first time I didn't face Xenos).

I had:

2x10 Vanguards w/ 2x Arc Rifles + Omnispex

5x Ruststalkers w/ Omniscient Mask

1x Dragoon

2x Dragoons

2x Kastelan Robots + Datasmith w/ 4++

2x3 Destroyers w/ Grav and Flamers (Executioner Formation)

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor (Kraken) w/ 2x Daemon Blades, Power Armour, 3x Servo Skulls, Brain Mines, ML 1 and Liber Hereticus

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor w/ Power Armour, Rad Grenades and Psychotroke Grenades 

2x Henchmen Warbands w/ 3x Acolytes + Bolters and 1x Psyker

Here is how it went down:

Vanguards got wiped out to all but one single Alpha with one remaining wound (awesome guy!). They killed a tactical squad and two Sternguard.

Both Inquisitors joined the Ruststalkers. They charged the Grav Centurion Squad with Predo and annihilated the Centurions. Pedro was locked in a challenge with Inquisitor Kraken for two turns and my Inqui beat him down to 1 wound. My Ruststalker Princeps intervented the duel to save my Inquisitor. Pedro killed the Princeps and the rest of my Squad killed Pedro. After that my CC squad proceeded to eat up 5x Sternguard and the remains of a tactical Squad. All in all my Ruststalkers finally did something and the Inquisitor's build w/ 2x Daemon Blades seems to be pretty reliable, as 4 rolls on the power table has a good chance of either getting you the power you want anyway or rolling the same result twice, thus allowing you to take the desired power. I rolled S+3, FNP, Eternal Warrior, DS2 and always wound Daemons on 2+.

Rad Grenades are AMAZING, same goes for the Psychotroke grenades. T4 Centurions that get wounded on 3+ by my Ruststalkers is pretty damn awesome. 

Grav Destroyers lost one squad before even firing and my second squad killed a Centurion, a squad of Sternguards and some tactical marines before being wiped out. 

The Dragoons! Oh, guys you were so right, three Dragoons are a godsend! These guys made SO MUCH POINTS! The single Dragoon killed a squad of tacital marines and bound another for two rounds before grinding them down. Then he tanked some shooting until he finally got shot down. The other two Dragoons were absolute beasts! They killed a squad of Sternguard, a Rhino, two Drop Pods and some tacital marines. They were still standing with all their HP left as the game ended on turn 7. From now on, I'll always try to get those three Dragoons in. They just performed so well against S4 units, it is out of this world! :D

Kastelan Robots moved forward on Turn 1 and I programmed the Protector Protocols. So from Turn 2 onwards they just were a bastion of hurt, spewing down 18 S6 DS3 shots on anything that wasn't locked in CC. They even tanked a Grav Shot on 6+, reflected it back and killed the guy who shot them. 

Summary:

• If Dragoons make it into CC and the enemy hasn't some CC units nearby that can actually hurt them, they will ruin S4 units' days!
  • 3x Destroyers w/ Grav are a bullet magnet and may be too fragile w/o the Dominus (w/ the IWND artefact). But they are excellent vs. Marines.
  • Kastelan Robots w/ all Phosphor can anchor down somewhere, activate the Protector Protocols and rain on the enemy's parade. Beware Grav though!
  • Inquisitor w/ 2x Daemon Blades is valid. I played him for the 3rd time now and he performed really well again. If he stays out of BTB contact with the enemy, he will even survive CC pretty long. Valuable addition if you want to give a CC unit some more punch or need something to win you challenges with tougher characters (the Brain Mines don't test on the unmodified Ini of a model. So if the Psychotroke Grenades give the enemy Ini 1, they will most likely fail and you can hit the duelist without even getting hit back!). 
  • Inquisitor w/ Rad and/or Psychotroke Grenades is also hilarious in a CC unit. Don't give me that bull sh*t that he is too expensive. Just stick him in the far back of your unit and advance into CC. Done, you are golden. 
  • Ruststalkers seem to be better than Infiltrators. Their S5/4 DS2 attacks just deliver the wounds better than the S6 DS- attacks of the Infiltrators. I'll have to see though what happens if I charge them into a unit that actually wants into CC (like Berserkers or Bloodletters etc.).

In the end I won, as I tabled my opponent on Turn 7. Now my Ad Mech has lost only once after 11 matches. Praise the Omnissiah! ^^

Summary:

• If Dragoons make it into CC and the enemy hasn't some CC units nearby that can actually hurt them, they will ruin S4 units' days!
  • 3x Destroyers w/ Grav are a bullet magnet and may be too fragile w/o the Dominus (w/ the IWND artefact). But they are excellent vs. Marines.
  • Kastelan Robots w/ all Phosphor can anchor down somewhere, activate the Protector Protocols and rain on the enemy's parade. Beware Grav though!
  • Inquisitor w/ 2x Daemon Blades is valid. I played him for the 3rd time now and he performed really well again. If he stays out of BTB contact with the enemy, he will even survive CC pretty long. Valuable addition if you want to give a CC unit some more punch or need something to win you challenges with tougher characters (the Brain Mines don't test on the unmodified Ini of a model. So if the Psychotroke Grenades give the enemy Ini 1, they will most likely fail and you can hit the duelist without even getting hit back!). 
  • Inquisitor w/ Rad and/or Psychotroke Grenades is also hilarious in a CC unit. Don't give me that bull sh*t that he is too expensive. Just stick him in the far back of your unit and advance into CC. Done, you are golden. 
  • Ruststalkers seem to be better than Infiltrators. Their S5/4 DS2 attacks just deliver the wounds better than the S6 DS- attacks of the Infiltrators. I'll have to see though what happens if I charge them into a unit that actually wants into CC (like Berserkers or Bloodletters etc.).

In the end I won, as I tabled my opponent on Turn 7. Now my Ad Mech has lost only once after 11 matches. Praise the Omnissiah! ^^

Nice report.

I agree with the Dragoons. They are not overpowered in any sense, but for just 45 points they are very very good.

I also agree with the Grenade Inquisitor. Who ever said he is to expensive ? He is just slightly above 60 points (63 if I remember correct) with Psyke Out, Psystroke and Rad Grenades + Servo Armour. It is a steal for what he can do.

And Ruststalkers... I had only 2 games with them and they did nothing special at all. Against Bloodletters (or anything else with low armour value) Infiltrators are clearly better! Also have in mind, that with the Rad Grenades you would have insta killed every T4 modell that would have failed a save against the S6 tasers. And don't forgett the Aura. You strike before enemy I4 models and you hit WS4 on a 3+. Ruststalkers strike at the same time, hitting only on a 4+.

I just finished my second squad of Ruststalkers and I need to field-test them a bit more, but up to now it is Infiltrators >>> Ruststalkers.

I also agree with the Grenade Inquisitor. Who ever said he is to expensive ? He is just slightly above 60 points (63 if I remember correct) with Psyke Out, Psystroke and Rad Grenades + Servo Armour. It is a steal for what he can do.

People on a German Warhammer board and here in the Inquisition section recommended, that cheap is the way to go. I have also seen plentiful of people say that sticking points into an Inquisitor who is only T3 is too risky and that he is so fragile etc. Yes, ID is a problem but I am so sick of reading that excuse...! Most of our models are only T3 and even the Dominus can be ID rather easily with S8 weapons - but somehow no-one advises against pumping points into him. If one doesn't play the Inquisitor like a Terminator and expects him to live, he will survive fairly well. Just put him in the back so that the other models tank the wounds. My build with the brain mines, 2x Daemon Blades, ML 1 and the Liber Heresius is just a tick more expensive than a standard Dominus, yet the Inquisitor would thoroughly whoop the Dominus' ass in CC or with his Psychic Powers. /rant

Infiltrators are clearly better! Also have in mind, that with the Rad Grenades you would have insta killed every T4 modell that would have failed a save against the S6 tasers

Right, but that doesn't matter because models with low armour value don't have more than 1 wound and the same goes for the most Space Marines and/or other S4 T4 models. If the Infiltrators wound Space Marines 10 times, they can still save themselves with their armour. Against wounds from the Ruststalkers they might not have their save. I have to try the Inquisition + Infiltrators. Their aura would tie in nicely with the Ini test from the brain mines. >: )

I would hesitate to the Inquisitors with the Ruststalkers or similar as they wouldn't be able to benefit from the Dunestrider rule would they? Also Infiltrators would have an extra edge with the Neurostatic Aura and with Power Swords they would still ignore most armour saves marines can make.

Also watch out for Krak Grenades when charging Marines with dragoons, they are S6 CC attacks and each model gets one each so that can hurt on 5+! Even if they cannot wound I'm pretty sure they can use "Our Weapons Are Useless" (as long as they aren't fearless) and run away.

Infiltrators are clearly better! Also have in mind, that with the Rad Grenades you would have insta killed every T4 modell that would have failed a save against the S6 tasers

Right, but that doesn't matter because models with low armour value don't have more than 1 wound and the same goes for the most Space Marines and/or other S4 T4 models. If the Infiltrators wound Space Marines 10 times, they can still save themselves with their armour. Against wounds from the Ruststalkers they might not have their save. I have to try the Inquisition + Infiltrators. Their aura would tie in nicely with the Ini test from the brain mines. >: )

Insta kills are more a thing against characters, but even against normal marines your thinking is not "correct".

10 Wounds with the Ruststalkers are as good if not better (because of semi rending) than 10 wounds with the Infiltrators. But with the Infiltrators you hit a Marine on a 3+ instead on a 4+, wound him on a 2+ instead of a 3+ and you get more hits, so it is much easier to cause 10 wounds with infiltrators than it is with Ruststalkers.

And you ripped my "Infiltrators are clearly better" out of context tongue.png

I said against everything with low armour (or no armour at all like Daemons), the Infiltrators are clearly better. The high number of hits because of the taser rule plus the debuff with the aura (plus the shooting in advance) are much better then the comparatively few hits with the semi rending and fleshbane claws of the Ruststalkers.

Ruststalkers are more the elite-killers. Semi rending against good armour, fleshbane and the grenades against high T models and grenades / dataspike against high AV or walkers.

I would hesitate to the Inquisitors with the Ruststalkers or similar as they wouldn't be able to benefit from the Dunestrider rule would they? Also Infiltrators would have an extra edge with the Neurostatic Aura and with Power Swords they would still ignore most armour saves marines can make.

Also watch out for Krak Grenades when charging Marines with dragoons, they are S6 CC attacks and each model gets one each so that can hurt on 5+! Even if they cannot wound I'm pretty sure they can use "Our Weapons Are Useless" (as long as they aren't fearless) and run away.

This has never been an issue to me, since most opponents want to get into CC with my Ad Mech. However, against Tau or AM they might be better without an Inquisitor, but against these opponents there is no need to boost their CC skills anyway.

And with the Dragoon you are right. I lost 2 when fighting with Berserkers with their grenades, but it took him 3 or 4 combat phases to kill them, and the Dragoons killed some Berserkers as well (plus their Rhino to begin with), so it was worth the 90 points in my oppinion. happy.png

Even if they cannot wound I'm pretty sure they can use "Our Weapons Are Useless" (as long as they aren't fearless) and run away.

Which they did and then got promptly run over by my Dragoon with his Crusader special rule from the Maniple. Then we looked at the special rules of the Marines and saw that they have They shall know no fear which means that CC just goes on when I catch them, thus running away was meaningless (as the Dragoon has Ini 6 in the first round of CC anyway).

But with the Infiltrators you hit a Marine on a 3+ instead on a 4+, wound him on a 2+ instead of a 3+ and you get more hits, so it is much easier to cause 10 wounds with infiltrators than it is with Ruststalkers.

Ruststalkers have S5 on the charge, so they also wound on 2+. :P Yes, the math says that Infiltrators cause more wounds, but somehow that never seemed to work for me. Even Ork Boys with 4+ armour just laughed at those wounds and then just butchered the whole Squad. :( I will have to try and field a list with both Ruststalkers and Infiltrators to get some more data...

I would hesitate to the Inquisitors with the Ruststalkers or similar as they wouldn't be able to benefit from the Dunestrider rule would they?

Not sure but I don't think the Inqui would get Dunestrider  as the special rules of a Squad don't transfer to the ICM. That is not such a big deal however, since the Squad can still scout and will likely be in CC on Turn 2. 

I do have a question though: Since the Infiltrators have Stealth, the Inquisitor(s) would also benefit from the +1 to the cover save, right? Because the rules say that Stealth takes effect on the whole unit, if at least one model has the special rule.

Ruststalkers are more the elite-killers. Semi rending against good armour, fleshbane and the grenades against high T models and grenades / dataspike against high AV or walkers.

And they did kill his elite pretty well. The Infiltrators would have just bounced off the 2+ armour of the Centurions. But the Ruststalkers rolled a few 6s and just minced them. :A

I do have a question though: Since the Infiltrators have Stealth, the Inquisitor(s) would also benefit from the +1 to the cover save, right? Because the rules say that Stealth takes effect on the whole unit, if at least one model has the special rule.

And they did kill his elite pretty well. The Infiltrators would have just bounced off the 2+ armour of the Centurions. But the Ruststalkers rolled a few 6s and just minced them. :A

Yes, Scout carries over to all other models in the unit. One model needs to have it, and the unit benefits from it.

And yes, the ruststalkers are great against those pesky 2+ armours. Those auto-include lucky sticks warbosses with rerollable 2+ simply can't be killed with tasers...

My problem with Ruststalkers hasn't been causing wounds, it's been taking them. The Infiltrators have survived much worse in my games but my ruststalkers tend to die quickly, and the best I can hope for is that they at least also bring the enemy down. Infiltrators have caused way more points worth in damage by keeping enemy troops from shooting at stuff like my Gravaphrons. Conversely, the best thing my ruststalkers have managed was to kill a squad of assault terminators that was worth slightly more points, but they also died in that fight.

So, maybe if there was a way to keep them alive a bit better, I'd be more inclined to agree. As it is, I think I'll stick with Infiltrators.

Infiltrators are easier to use in a generalized army, too.  Whereas with the Ruststalkers you have to find something to guard them or otherwise screen or help them out, the Infiltrators can do all their work in a vacuum and really act as a force multiplier as Tyriks said.  I think the investment to make Ruststalkers perform in their intended role is significantly higher and thus makes them a far larger commitment in points, despite their lower cost per model.

My problem with Ruststalkers hasn't been causing wounds, it's been taking them. 

Yes, Stealth  just gives them a nice boost to their survivability. 

Ruststalkers are one of those units that could be really really good if they would cost less. 30 points/model is just insane for their fragile statline. For 25 points/model they would be so much better...

Infiltrators have caused way more points worth in damage by keeping enemy troops from shooting at stuff like my Gravaphrons

The Dragoons filled that role really nicely in my game. The Ruststalkers had one primary objective: Destroy the Centurions. And they did just that. 

So, maybe if there was a way to keep them alive a bit better, I'd be more inclined to agree.

I'll try to stick them in a Valkyrie and drop them at the backline of my opponent. I know all the downsides to this. The Valkyrie is expensive (but I think worth its own points since I'll give it Multiple Rocket pods to mow down light - medium infantry), they can only hope to get into CC at Turn 3+ (Turn 2 Valkyrie arrives and drops them, Turn 3 charge) and will have to weather one round of shooting, if the enemy decides to target them (I will, of course, try to counter that by deploying them in such a way that they are away from the most hurtful things). 

That is, however, just a fun-build and nothing I would deem viable for anything more than a Beer and Pretzels game.

My biggest "problem" atm is, to create a TAC list at 1500 points that would have enough room for 3 Dragoons and both Ruststalkers and Infiltrators, along with my Inquisition. I either have a lot of CC and very little shooting or less CC and medium shooting, which would further the risk of either the Ruststalkers/Infiltrators not making it into CC (it is statistically more likely to get either the Infiltrators or the Ruststalkers alive into CC if I have many CC units so that the enemy can't shoot them all down).

What loadout for the Infiltrators would you recommend? Taser or Power Swords? And what artefact (if any) would you give the Princeps?

My problem with Ruststalkers hasn't been causing wounds, it's been taking them. 

Yes, Stealth  just gives them a nice boost to their survivability. 

Ruststalkers are one of those units that could be really really good if they would cost less. 30 points/model is just insane for their fragile statline. For 25 points/model they would be so much better...

Infiltrators have caused way more points worth in damage by keeping enemy troops from shooting at stuff like my Gravaphrons

The Dragoons filled that role really nicely in my game. The Ruststalkers had one primary objective: Destroy the Centurions. And they did just that. 

So, maybe if there was a way to keep them alive a bit better, I'd be more inclined to agree.

I'll try to stick them in a Valkyrie and drop them at the backline of my opponent. I know all the downsides to this. The Valkyrie is expensive (but I think worth its own points since I'll give it Multiple Rocket pods to mow down light - medium infantry), they can only hope to get into CC at Turn 3+ (Turn 2 Valkyrie arrives and drops them, Turn 3 charge) and will have to weather one round of shooting, if the enemy decides to target them (I will, of course, try to counter that by deploying them in such a way that they are away from the most hurtful things). 

That is, however, just a fun-build and nothing I would deem viable for anything more than a Beer and Pretzels game.

My biggest "problem" atm is, to create a TAC list at 1500 points that would have enough room for 3 Dragoons and both Ruststalkers and Infiltrators, along with my Inquisition. I either have a lot of CC and very little shooting or less CC and medium shooting, which would further the risk of either the Ruststalkers/Infiltrators not making it into CC (it is statistically more likely to get either the Infiltrators or the Ruststalkers alive into CC if I have many CC units so that the enemy can't shoot them all down).

What loadout for the Infiltrators would you recommend? Taser or Power Swords? And what artefact (if any) would you give the Princeps?

Tough to say.  I was staunchly anti-power sword at first, since you lose one attack and many wounds.  I tried it out recently just to make sure it wasn't good, and found that I was very wrong (at least against SM).  For an all-comers list, I'd be very torn.  But if you know what you're facing, I'd base it off that.  My tasers have murdered the crap out of anything with a 4+ easily, done okay against 3+, and absolutely terribly against 2+.  

My tasers have murdered the crap out of anything with a 4+ easily, done okay against 3+, and absolutely terribly against 2+.  

This. My taser exxperience in a nutshell. Those pesky 2+ are the reason I frequently include plasma calivers.

I think doesn't mathhammer say the taser goads do more wounds on average? 

Depends on the enemy. Armour 2+ should be where Ruststalkers do more wounds. The Infiltrators generate more wounds due to the Taser special rule.

Speaking about our CC units. We all know that Dragoons are pretty solid, Ruststalkers and Infiltrators are average (hurt in CC but get shot down easily and cost a lot) and Kastelans will wreck face too, no matter if they are equipped for range or for CC. This leaves us with the infamous Electro Priests. Has someone come up with a way to use these guys? The 3++ they get after killing something in CC seems very good and ID on 6s is solid too. 

Their formation seems like a point-sink though. I am thinking about sticking an Inquisitor with Rad- and Psychotroke Grenades in a Squad of Fulgurite Priests. Along with the Canticles, we can push them to S6/7/8. Rad Grenades would make MEQ T3, thus S6 would suffice to ID the enemy. Stealth/Shrouded Canticles would help with survivability. If we give the Inquisitor the Liber Heresius and ML 1, he could give the unit Scout (I am not a fan of buying a vehicle, just to get these guys further ahead) and roll on Daemonology to get Sanctuary, which would boost their 5++ to a 4++ (or 2++ after they have destroyed a unit). 

Question is:

1. How many Fulgurite Priests are the "right" number? Too much and the squad will just eat points, too little and they will die to shooting before making it into CC.
  2. Are they a valid alternative to Infiltrators/Ruststalkers?

Fulgurites seem similar to the Sicarians to me. I've never seen them do well in batreps because they get killed too fast. I've not yet played with them myself, but I might proxy them in to give them a shot. I've been leaning more and more towards trying to just ally in some Blood Angels or something to cover my cc (or at least to supplement some Kastelans and Dragoons). This is partially appealing to me because I already have a bunch of SM models and wouldn't need to proxy or shell out cash.

I agree that the formation seems way too expensive for minor boosts. Maybe if I had more units on the Cult side (and therefore the Canticles became more useful), I'd be more excited about them. I'm very new to the Cult units, though. I just want an option that's durable without costing me tons of money or a ton of points (even if they aren't super damaging). Or if a unit is going to cause some mutual extinction, just make them a bit cheaper.

Just found something pretty amusing regarding the Priests. Quote from 1d4chan:

Keep in mind that, in theory a single Corpuscarii in a Numinous Conclave with Canticle of the Electromancer who shoots and then charges can cause a potential twenty-two S4 hits (9 from shooting, 9 from attacking, 1 from Hammer of Wrath, 3 from the Canticle). On average, it's still 11.75 hits.

Average ~12 hits PER MODEL! :'D

Fulgurites seem similar to the Sicarians to me. I've never seen them do well in batreps because they get killed too fast.

But you got to keep in mind that they are much "cheaper" with 18points/model, meaning you can get about 10 Fulgurites for the price of 5 Infiltrators. I could imagine that Corpuscarii (the shooty priests) could even do better than Infiltrators. They too cause extra hits on 6s and have S+1 in CC, which can be boosted by Canticles. And if a whole squad of 10 Corpuscarii made it into CC, they would generate 30 attacks + 10 auto hits (+10/20/30 auto hits from the Canticle). 

Mathhammer against MEQ (WS 4, T3 [from the Rad Grenades of the Inquisitor]):

20 Auto hits from the Volthargeist Field + Canticles of the Electromancer. All S4, thus wounding on 3s:   20x(2/3)= 13,3 wounds.

30 normal attacks, statistically generate five 6s: 30x(1/6)=5 6s generate extra hits: 5x2= 10. This leaves us with 25 attacks that are not 6s: 25x(1/2)=12,5 hits + 10 hits from 6s = 22,5 hits(!).

Now we wound on 3s: 22,5x(2/3)=15 + wounds from auto hits=28,3 wounds.

MEQ has a 3+ armour: 28,3x(2/3)=~18,8 saves, thus we do 9,5 unsaved wounds. 

Now add shooting.

Fulgurite Priests would cause about ~11 unsaved wounds in melee.

Infiltrators w/ Omniscient Mask would cause ~7 unsaved wounds in melee and cost 205 points vs. the Electro Priests' 180 points. 

They're biggest downside I would say is T3 and the ability to get into combat-they can't buy a dedicated transport and they have no dune strider. However once they get there it looks like they could really wreck face if used correctly.

Archived