Dark Angels 2015 : Worries and Wishlist

DeadZone

I've played Dark Angels since they had their update in 2013. Despite the love/hate relationship that I have with them--I'm satisfied with all the models that I've painted for my army. Needless to say that I'm a bit worried, as well as excited for what might happen with the new Dark Angels codex. I've read some rumors and it seems so far that everything will be relatively the same, except with new equipment updates and the Flyers being cheaper (Only2Years2Late). 

I myself have some things that I'd love to see in the Dark Angel's new book, although these may come off as home-brew styled additions. First off, making the Ravenwing Grenade Launchers a special weapon or at least a vehicle upgrade for almost everything. The Grenade Launchers are arguably the best utility within the Dark Angels army, but the problem is that the 42 point model attached to it has a tendency to fall from bolt pistols. Placing this grenade launcher (25-30 pts/model) in tactical squads, or even on top of rhinos would allow the army to fully utilize it's Rad/Stasis grenades. Perhaps there could also be a Blind grenade?

Which brings me to the Dark Talon; the flyer with a personality disorder. It's sold as another unit with utility, however the armies that it's useful against seem to only be affected by either the Rift Cannon, or the Stasis Bomb. For example, Necrons/Orks--Rift Cannon can easily and consistently blind the units in these armies, however the Stasis Bomb only reduces their initative from a 2 to a 1. The inverse applies when you're fighting other Marines, or the much more extreme case of Eldar (of all kinds). My suggestion would be to add a Rad/Stasis blast to the Rift Cannon, and possibly more bombs.

I'm not expecting much from the Chapter Tactics department, as I am very satisfied with Stubborn/Inner Circle. I believe that the changes I've listed could relegate the problems with Dark Angels to some extent. They're too much of a "Fluff" Army, I just wish I knew better back then.

Although with these hopes, there can only come with the worry that it will be soiled in some way.

Myself and friends of mine at my local store have speculated that when the new Space Marine book comes out, Dark Angels might become a supplement to the Space Marine codex; however, being that they are the First Legion, this may not be the case.

Will Dark Angels see a similar treatment as Black Templar? Will we get the ability to assault after deep strike? Will Asmodai be more useful than a space marine captain? And where the hell is that Cypher? What are your thoughts on this?

I don't think so. Too many unique units to roll into the space marine codex. It's big enough already.

They seem to be separating things more than ever too. Skitarii/Mechanicum really shouldve been one codex but were split. I imagine this will be the norm from now.

Dark Angels I feel will have a lot of surprises coming our way.

For starters they are not dumb they know that our army currently has no ground based anti aircraft unit unlike basically every army that isn't a mini dex or grey Knights. Enter the grey Knights style release. They will simply give us someone else's flakk battery. So that means we either get the hydra or the stalker/hunter. This makes me very happy indeed I want to use a stalker dang nabit!

I expect us to get a veterans reboxing as well. Let's be up front here the veterans box is not up to par with the current lineup it's a 5th edition box. And so minimum we will get a new box for these models. This is again exactly like the grey Knights.

With these changes I think our product line alone will be more appealing on the shelf. And give you plenty to think about buying. Especially when a new veterans box improves the chance of better rules for them to make them more appealing to buy. Say perhaps a land raider as a dt and jump packs?? I think veterans are one to watch in this release in my opinion.

I also think that they are going to be doing a huge revamp of our hq slot. Expect a mile and a half of changes and expect a lot of tears and models getting binned mid paint because their rules are now not what you want at all.

My expectations of the hq section:

Azreal moved to low massive rules changes?? Beyond him being more expensive I couldn't tell you what will happen here

Belial: he's going to get castellan crowe treatment, a big expensive model with no incentives to field beyond a formation or three. He could genuinely be just flat out worse than a captain in every way

Asmodai: well the only way to go is up, and with the new clamshell I'm going to say his day may come where he gets to sit at the table with everyone else

Ezekiel: minor changes at best

Sammael: honestly couldn't tell you, he could be our captain stern and become a pretty good hq all round. He may become a pretty stellar guy.

Chaplain: potentially just dropped

Interrogator chaplain: will be better

Librarian: little to no change beyond price adjustments

Captain: he might get his relic bearer for free and that would be a welcome change indeed.

From here it's mainly going to be point fixes and maybe a cut to the prices of terminators, black Knights are going to get a price jack that's a given so ravenwing players I'd buckle your belts and think about removing some melta guns here n there to compensate.

I have no worries and I have no wishlists. Why no worries? Because I will still play the Codex , no matter what.

Why no wishlist? Because wishes give hope and hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Wishlist - more characters. I know DA are mysterious but I'd like to see some more individuals. Sapphon, Balthasar, let's get some rules that make them stand out from the other chaplains and masters and some better fluff for them and our existing characters.

Kind of a let down when you see "Marneus Calgar killed the biggest, baddest horde of aliens single handed and then stomped on the bits" and then get "not much is known about Azrael".

Wishes: can jink and no need to snapfire for our bikers

Fears: overpriced units, costly hq, useless fliers, useless special units, I honestly have no idea how can they improve the LSV. And even with a point drop, our flier will still suck as it is pointless to take em. Deathwing knights are still pathetic old men who can activate their stick once ( hehehehe) in the game, our company masters still can't take a bike and so on. Lots of worries, our relics will suck too.

My wish list:

-I want point drops on HQs,

-new special equipment or to fix our existing special equipment,

-PFG acting like it used to when it could extend from the hull of a vehicle

-New warlord traits

-Fix all the relics and make them worth taking

-Price drop on banners

-Price drop on fliers

-More ways to get precision deepstrike, i.e locator beacons can be purchased for any trasport

-Make Land speeder vengence and darkshoud more survivable and better than they are now, they need better profiles than simple landspeeders. Im thinking make them AV 12 or 13

-fix blade of caliban

Well thats my changes I want to see in the new dex, If at least 3 of those happen ill be happy.

I have no worries and I have no wishlists. Why no worries? Because I will still play the Codex , no matter what.

Why no wishlist? Because wishes give hope and hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

I agree with this. Wishlisting leads to false expectations, which will cloud your perception of the truth. Be patient and observe the current books, the current releases and analyze them, so by the time DA will get their update, you have the knowledge to being able to judge it properly as opposed to blinded by your own desires ;)

Do you think you'll get your own Psychic Table?

For the generic stuff, I doubt there will be any changes pointwise and I expect you'll get access to grav, flakk and maybe one or two C:SM toys. For the DA specific stuff, who knows?

Do you think you'll get your own Psychic Table?

For the generic stuff, I doubt there will be any changes pointwise and I expect you'll get access to grav, flakk and maybe one or two C:SM toys. For the DA specific stuff, who knows?

More likely than SM getting one but less likely that SW and BA. The 6ed book gave Ezekiel a unique power, so perhaps they will expand on it.

Wishlisting leads to false expectations, which will cloud your perception of the truth. 

Too true.  Worse yet, some rumor site happens along the discussion and mistakes it for a "source"; next thing you know, they are reporting your wishlist as coming features - and the person who reads that takes it as gospel.

I'm fine waiting patiently to see what we get and accepting no truth that I cannot verify with my own eyes.

Im tempted to go the DA route however only if one thing happens. If Deathwing Terminators are actually worth there points and actually have rules or changes to the unit themselves to make them more competitive in todays meta oand actually worth taking.

Wishlist - more characters. I know DA are mysterious but I'd like to see some more individuals. Sapphon, Balthasar, let's get some rules that make them stand out from the other chaplains and masters and some better fluff for them and our existing characters.

Kind of a let down when you see "Marneus Calgar killed the biggest, baddest horde of aliens single handed and then stomped on the bits" and then get "not much is known about Azrael".

We've also got an absurd amount of named characters in the books, so we certainly could have numerous Company Masters given stats. IIRC there are something like five named and living "captains" in the Dark Angels Chapter. We could also use our own version of the Space Marine "build your own chapter master" outline. We do have the default unnamed Company Master, but he frankly sucks.

Im tempted to go the DA route however only if one thing happens. If Deathwing Terminators are actually worth there points and actually have rules or changes to the unit themselves to make them more competitive in todays meta oand actually worth taking.

It would be nice and I love DW but I doubt DW will ever be competitive. To many actual counters to termies, the only way I see them being viable is if they go to two wounds like GK but then they would have to go to two wounds in SW, BA, and SM codex aswell

DW could be buffed with a built in FNP. It links to the fluff (all those chemicals churning round the Asartes physiology etc) and if we didn't have to pay for an 85 pt banner that can be lost, it might make them worth the points.

Isn't going to happen mind you...

I'm still curious how a banner let's you shrug off wounds from an auto cannon.

The sight of a sacred standard invigorates marines so much they grit their teeth, ignore pain and fight much harder, even if they have mortal wounds. If there's a scared standard present it's because it is an epic battle and they know it so they will shed every last drop of their own blood to assure victory. So it's not the banner that has magic powers, but what he inspires.

I'm still curious how a banner let's you shrug off wounds from an auto cannon.

The sight of a sacred standard invigorates marines so much they grit their teeth, ignore pain and fight much harder, even if they have mortal wounds. If there's a scared standard present it's because it is an epic battle and they know it so they will shed every last drop of their own blood to assure victory. So it's not the banner that has magic powers, but what he inspires.

Agreed, but why the other sacred banners couldn't do the same? The sight of a different sacred standard would also inspire ppl to shoot better but not shrug off pain?

Different banners carry different myths which carry different effects. It's Space Magic. Suspend yor disbelief and enjoy.

I apologise my Chaplain, I let my doubt cloud my belief. For the emperor!!!!!!!!

Archived