== Martian Death Ray Club ==

So, CHOOM is can(n)on as ADB got it into Master of Mankind!

Maximum approval for the book Olis?

All over 'VOIP!' in the context of Hudson in Aliens:

'Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. VOIP! Fry half a city with this puppy.'

We never heard it fire it could have went choom

I need to put choom into my next Heresy novel. 

I had freem in the Night Lords Series, so it's only fair.

We did it??

So, CHOOM is can(n)on as ADB got it into Master of Mankind!

Maximum approval for the book Olis?

I have yet to read the book but, yes, I do believe some maximum approval is in order. :happy.:

gallery_60566_6038_2448.png

I'm currently reading it, and it's awesome sauce.

==Warning, long post==

I think it's about time we all had a chat about something a little more substantial than the usual, brothers and sisters. We've had 65 pages and not as much of it as I would like is actual discussion. Painted models and conversions are just fine, as is the encouragement of club members to indulge in their hobby and the celebration of their efforts. But, as I have seen elsewhere, it has become obvious that much of what we do recently is react to others input and what news there is. And, you know, there's the memes, too. They are fun, no doubt, but they should not replace actual conversations. I am as guilty of this as any other.

So, we shall talk. Of Master of Mankind. Of the club itself and where we wish to take it. Of the future of Volkite weaponry.

Firstly, Master of Mankind. My own copy is in the post, so I can only limit my current thoughts to the book as a reaction from use of the onomatopoeia 'Choom' by A D-B. Now, of course, I am personally ecstatic about such a thing, seeing as it was a term I introduced... but I can't allow myself to puff up my chest too much - without others taking to the term as they did, the word would have been forgotten in all likelihood and replaced with something else. With that said, I - we - cannot pretend that the term is universal. The genesis and uptake of the term has been limited to B&C in most regards (with perhaps the exception of some social media where I have noticed club members have, to make a terrible pun, spread the word) and this thread, maybe a 'home' in some regards for enthusiasm of Volkite weaponry, is but one topic on said website. The use of the term in canon, undoubtedly, provides a genuine legitimacy for this club and it's one-word lexicon. Well, perhaps that's overstating matters but it is indeed something that adds weight to what we have, such as it is. When A D-B said he'd put it in, we were all pleased. It was as if a little slice of our own fanon had been 'sponsored' for admittance into actual canon.

And, when you think about it, it's something worth smiling about. In one small way, we all have added to the lore. For many of us, it's perhaps the best we'll do. For others, it may be but one of several things. As a club, though, we can be happy that we've seen our love for the hobby enrich the setting, even just by the smallest margin.

Second. The club itself. As we have seen, there have been others who have seen the MDRC and came to the conclusion that the broad concept can work. Team Breacher and The Maintenance Bay being two such examples that I am familiar with. This is a place, a niche within a niche within a niche, where people can be happy to enthuse over a specific aspect of the lore. I have been very deliberate in being broad in encouraging our acceptance of differing opinions and takes of this little corner of the lore - it could have been very easy to walk a narrower path, to allow only FW-cast depictions, to insist that Volkites glowed red, to be (for want of a better word) exclusive in our tastes. But this is not how I personally envision the club. We are niche enough as it is without turning away interested parties because of slightly different opinions about fake guns in a fake universe fighting a fake war. We need inclusiveness. Especially if this club is to be more than a half remembered happy memory five or ten years down the line.

Here's the thing: If we want the club to thrive, we are going to need to branch out eventually. On my mind for a while has been the notion of a FB group for us (and perhaps the thought of having sister clubs elsewhere). At the very least, such a group would be an embassy for the MDRC as it stands, maybe even a counterpart to the current club. But the point, in part, would be an increase in visibility. Two places for the MDRC are twice as likely to attract new members as one would. And that is the key to having a club that is more than a flash-in-the-pan. This place is a year and a half old. Certainly older than many topics on B&C, including our cousin clubs here in the AoD, but not something that was designed to last. On a regular basis we have but a few members of B&C posting here. It's a core membership, and a dedicated one at that, which will ensure that the club will tick over. But we need a bit more than to just tick over - well, we will eventually, at least. 

On that particular point, I like to hear opinions, brothers and sisters. 

Lastly, the future of Volkite weapons. By now, I think you're probably tired of the waffle, so I'll try to keep it short. We've seen variants of our favourite weapons as we go on, the last and most popular (AFAIK) to date has been the double-barrelled Contemptor weapon-arm. We know that at least one example of Volkite weaponry has survived into the 41st millennium, so what do we think about that? Should there be more? Should it remain largely confined to 30k? 

Lore-wise, I have long maintained that there was one very good reason why Volkites no longer exist - a simple matter of weapon complexity in a galaxy-spanning empire where technological sophistication is on the decline. But the example we are given in the recent(ish) Mechanicus publications is something that differs from the established incarnations in 30k. What else could we expect, or invent, that has possibly survived thousands of years for whatever reason? Can we use the concept of Volkite weaponry alongside it's near-uniqueness in 40k and provide new material? I mean, of course, conceptual work. Ideas.

It's no good for us to simply rest on our laurels and be reactionary. We must become agents of change (he says, on the cusp of a large wave of Tzeentchian miniature release :rolleyes: ). While we shouldn't just wait on official channels to provide what we want, we cannot expect that our ideas will gain traction with the powers that be. But, I think we should have the courage to roll the dice.

I'll stop with the puns now. ^_^ 

Facebook page sounds good. I'd be happy to assist in any way that was required (admin etc).

Future of Volkites? Who knows really, it's a big old dark universe so I'm sure there is no end to the reasons for its survival.

Most importantly I fee we need more Super Heavy/Titan level choom. This is something we are really lacking.

I'm super tempting to get the upcoming Porphyrion titan (cos it looks cool!) and give it some form of dual wielded Volkite extravaganza to make it extra cool. Just gotta wait and see the final price tag.

In terms of expanding the MDRC, how about attracting Mechanicum and Solar Auxilla players to the B'n'C? The MDRC is obviously top heavy with space marines due to the main draw of the B'n'C and the nature of the Heresy. Whilst I'm not very active on FB, a group there might attract those players more easily than a niche (but clearly the best) thread, on a niche forum, on a niche board?

In terms of the growth of CHOOM in 30k, I'd like to see more options for taking Volkite on vehicles. For example, any vehicle with the staple 40k heavy bolter sponson could exchange it for the relevant Volkite equivalent. Imagine a Stormbird exchanging all it's sponsons for CHOOM! Perhaps if members of the MDRC voiced similar opinions at HH Weekenders etc, the studio might take it into account in the future?

As for Volkite in 40k, I've often thought the Consecrators chapter - with their Heresy era arms and armour - would be a good place to start. Practically though, I only think it'll grow if future Heresy plastic kits feature more Volkite weapons. As we've seen from BaC, Heresy plastics eventually get 40k rules.

I think if GW do what they have done with their inclusion of rules for the armour marks for 40k, we might very well luck out and see the tartaros take the charger from 30k to 40k (major wishlisting).

I've been using #choom far to often on Facebook and Instagram whether meme related or in relation to minis Ive done featuring a type of volkite, and having actually presence on those channels would stop the negative nancies being so detrimental towards our glorious word.

If we are to encourage the growth of volkite beyond its existing capacity I think we need brave souls to build as well as design some of our ideas and get them into the wider world

In terms of expanding the MDRC, how about attracting Mechanicum and Solar Auxilla players to the B'n'C? The MDRC is obviously top heavy with space marines due to the main draw of the B'n'C and the nature of the Heresy. Whilst I'm not very active on FB, a group there might attract those players more easily than a niche (but clearly the best) thread, on a niche forum, on a niche board?

In terms of the growth of CHOOM in 30k, I'd like to see more options for taking Volkite on vehicles. For example, any vehicle with the staple 40k heavy bolter sponson could exchange it for the relevant Volkite equivalent. Imagine a Stormbird exchanging all it's sponsons for CHOOM! Perhaps if members of the MDRC voiced similar opinions at HH Weekenders etc, the studio might take it into account in the future?

As for Volkite in 40k, I've often thought the Consecrators chapter - with their Heresy era arms and armour - would be a good place to start. Practically though, I only think it'll grow if future Heresy plastic kits feature more Volkite weapons. As we've seen from BaC, Heresy plastics eventually get 40k rules.

I made an attempt at attracting Solar Auxilia players when I was painting the 1905th Rust Scorpions, whom are a primarily Volkite weaponry based force, and I generated some attention which I re-directed back to this thread from Reddit.  The recruitment slogan being "Enlist Today! CHOOM Tomorrow!"

Recruitment Poster

(Original artwork is from a Killzone propaganda poster, which I then re-worked with pictures of my models to give it the Veletaris "look" along with moving insignias of the 1905th and the Solar Auxilia into the picture.)

http://i.imgur.com/2TRwy50.png

My recruitment poster seemed to be the biggest hit and I actually spent time explaining what CHOOM meant in that post more than how I painted the models.  :biggrin.:

I'm all for the Facebook idea and would jump on board in an instant if it was put up. 

I would say, if we wanted to suggest ways to evolve the weaponry, I'd like to see Twin-Linked Volkite Calivers as sponson choices for vehicles.  It always seems like the choices are Lascannon/Heavy Bolter/Multilasers/Flamers...rinse repeat.  I feel like Twin-Linked Volkite Calivers would fit nicely into the sponson slot on vehicles like the Malcador tanks and provide a little more customization to their roles.  The standard Culverin could be a non-twin linked choice as well to provide more punch for less chance to hit.

It always bothered me that the Solar Auxilia seem to completely skip over Calivers & Culverins as weaponry tiers. We have Serpentas, Chargers, and then skip right to Twin-Linked Demi Culverin.  There's a whole load of places where Volkite weaponry could be integrated and it's not like the Solar Auxilia don't have access to the technology given the Veletaris use them as their standard issue and the Incinerators are a standard Assault Squadron choice.

Hell, with the existence of the Incinerator Leman Russ, I don't know why there isn't a Malcador variant that sports a twin-linked Volkite Demi-Culverin as it's primary gun and (with the above notes in mind) TL Calivers in the sponson and a Culverin in the place of the Demolisher Cannon.  I might be going overboard but the Malcador Chassis tends to lend itself toward weaponry based focus.

Volkite in 40k doesn't seem like it would be to hard to make happen from a fluff stand point, sure it would be played up to be rare, but they could do a pseudo White Dwarf event where the Adeptus Mechanicum found a lost Standard Template Construct (STC) for Volkite weaponry on an abandoned loyalist Mechanicum world from the Heresy era.  At that point, toss in a Black Library novel about a Rogue Trader going in to find it and XYZ dramatic things happen and voila` we have Volkite Weaponry in the 40k era.  The question is does GW *want* Volkite weaponry in 40k, unfortunately that is a question I can't answer.

gallery_79873_10492_24790.png

"Choooooom". Glorious. :devil:

It seems the FB page idea is a go, then. I'll look about getting that created sometime this week. Maybe I'll rummage around google image search to see what options we have for imagery.

Onto our pet weapon - it seems the majority of you are thinking along the lines of vehicle borne examples. Sounds reasonable, I think. There are some prime candidates for using Volkites of one kind or another, so I believe that coming up with some concepts will be easy for us. We have done it before, after all. ^_^

I present my offering to the MDRC.

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag437/Phatsquirre1/0d6f1cac-059f-4376-8cab-f69246ec6d0d_zpsbkvmzovg.jpg

With obligatory nipple-calivers.

Also, in the spirit of discussion, 

In terms of expanding the MDRC, how about attracting Mechanicum and Solar Auxilla players to the B'n'C? 

Personally, i'd love to see some Culverin armed Thallax/Castellax. If Ursurax can have choom, why not the rank-n'-file 'bots/'borgs?

"Choooooom". Glorious. :devil:

It seems the FB page idea is a go, then. I'll look about getting that created sometime this week. Maybe I'll rummage around google image search to see what options we have for imagery. 

Onto our pet weapon - it seems the majority of you are thinking along the lines of vehicle borne examples. Sounds reasonable, I think. There are some prime candidates for using Volkites of one kind or another, so I believe that coming up with some concepts will be easy for us. We have done it before, after all. :happy.:

Olis, if you need help with imagery or have something in mind but don't find an existing image of it, let me know and I'll be happy to take a crack at it in Photoshop.  I've been known to do logos and the like before and I actually find the process extremely cathartic as it keeps me from stressing about other things in my life.  :biggrin.:

Example of some previous logos:

http://i.imgur.com/wt9pmZp.png  http://i.imgur.com/zcfCvO3.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/3ehfuau.png