The addiction continues.. Dark Angels again?!?!

Warhead01

Hello again.   This will be the start of my Dark Angels 7th edition thread. 

I started 40K with Dark Angels in second edition and just nearly 20 years later am once again excited about them. this will be the 4th or 5th time (and I hope the last time.) 

7th edition reminds me a lot of what I liked and enjoyed with 2nd edition.  I've been following the rumors and strangely become excited for the release. I gave up Space Marines and Imperial Guard over the last two years. I was sick and tired of them. Every one has them. ( seemed that way in my group.)

I just ordered the new Codex this morning! And I have a plan...

Nothing mind blowing. But I do have one and a half Dark Vengeance box sets I've never really messed with. So that starts my new army!  

In the past I have bought way more models then I really needed or ever got around, in a timely manner, to paint.

So with that in mind my army will start small and grow slowly. 

I've held the belief that 40K should be treated as a hobby and not an addiction...er I mean game.

My larger point being that I want to play with a nicely painted army and not a sea of grey.

To start with I will go through my remaining Space Marine mini's and select what will be joining this army. I have several large bitz boxes some are new, newish and the rest used. 

Once I have sorted that I'll post a list of collected units. (by that time my codex may have arrived!)

Ironically, two years ago I traded a full company of Dark Angels and nearly a company of death wing away.  It was overwhelming. 

I am planning to focus on the minimums and then much later fill out some of the units.

More in the not so distant future!

Thank you.

I have not been idle. I have discovered some models which will join the legion.

So far. 3 Rhinos, 2 predators, just missing a few parts 1 vindicator 2 land speeders and maybe 6 more after that.. 1 attack bike a pile of heavy weapons and some extra marines with bolters. 

All of this was left over from my stepsons Blood Angel army he was stripping to repaint before he went off to collage.

I know he had some assault marines as well...but they are very nicely painted. 

My first goal will be 750 points built and painted. i'm not planning to really get things going until some time next month. Unless it just happens.

I'm still waiting as patiently as I can for my codex. 

It serves me right, I should have paid for shipping. When will I learn.

I had forgotten how active these forums can get, wow. I've found several topics that I am glad I have read.

I've been giving thought to 20 assault marines in my Demi company formation. (..I may be using the wrong name..) 

I know I like the look of the Lions Blade formation and may have said that could be my end goal.

On Ebay I have seen some really good deals and mist several of them, I had thought to buy a whole army. But the more I looked at a few of them the less I wanted them mostly because there were so many Dark Vengeance models in the lots. And those can be bought all over for very little.

I am amazed at how few models I will need to build an army Mostly due to Tank Squadrons and formations. I like the Raven Wing support squadron and have added it to my to get list. I have either 8 or 11 land speeders now and shouldn't need much more just the LSV or the other one.. ( Dark Shroud?) 

I'm giving thought to putting all the models on 32 MM bases. As this will be a fresh start from the ground up and not rebasing a set of finished models. I wish I had thought about that sooner. I did order some of those bases but they are for my Orks Nobs, who are all tow big for the 25mm bases they are on and...Tip over at every opportunity to prove it...

I did remember I have a Contemptor Drednought. and several changes of weapons for it. I'm thinking about adding a Dredo..( They're ugly..but might do well for AA, if I understand things correctly.

More in a few days.

I have my codex now!

It's a lot to take in, it's hard to tell if it's a codex or an art book. (Warhammer visions codex Dark Angels...)

From the get go it looks like I have.

One full Ravenwing Attack Squadron

One Ravenwing Support Squadron, after my Land speeder Vengeance/ Dark shroud arrives. 

I'm a bit short on the Deathwing Redemption Force but do have 2 squads of Deathwing and I'm sure a TDA Character and a Chaplin Dred to use as A Venerable Dreadnought . 

Not exactly sure how close I am with the Demi-Company. I'm sure I am short the Assault squad.

RAS =6 biker , vet sgt , Grav pistol, 1 flamer 1 grav gun,  Attack bike with Multi-Melta, land Speeder with Melt And H.Flamer = 275

RSS = 430 with Dark shroud + 5 assault cannons. 

DRF = 2 Deathwing squads with 1 assault cannon each 1 LVL 2 Librarian in TDA with conversion field and Foe-Smiter 125 440

565 before additional options I have not looked at at this time.

Total 1280 with just those few models.

That was the easy list. But it's only just beginning. Each of these formations will be a task on to them selves so once they are rounded up I'll divide them as projects to complete, I should have enough box tops. 

Note. The Land speeders are subject to change. it all depends on what I have in bitz and what I loot from my Space wolves. I feel less is more where looting is concerned. 

Thank you! It's all coming together quickly, I keep finding Bikers in my bitz box..

one more biker and another attack bike and I'll have another Ravenwing attack squadron! 

Although I haven't found a TDA Librarian yet.. or any other TDA HQ yet either.. 

But it's cool to know I'm over 1500 points identified!

Good news. 3 more models have arrived at the post office so the good work will continue soon! 

Note. Monday through Friday I paint commission work, so Dark Angel projects will be Evenings and weekends. I update my blog on Fridays/Saturdays. However, Any Dark Angel projects will get Sunday evenings or just be an extra post on Friday. Hope that isn't too confusing. Once I have a post or two on my blog I'll drop a link in my signature below.  

Just to make viewing anything I have done easier. 

With that said my next project is a Raven wing attack squadron. 

I'll post some pictures of my new models when they are assembled!

Archived