Azrael!..he just doesn't cut it! (quite pic heavy)

Hm74

wow! Off to a great start! You undersold your skills, for sure. You seems like you take your time to plan things out and make careful decisions; that makes a huge difference in this wacky hobby.

If you love the pose, don't change a thing. I think if it was me, I would rotate the bolter arm so that the bolter is perpendicular to the ground, rtaher than being tilted back the way it is now.

Can you tilt the head back so that he is looking more forward, rather than down? If not, when you do the base try to give him something to stand on so he is higher than the models around him.

Looking forward to following this thread-- keep it up!

you put up the new poses while I was typing-- I definitely like the ones where his head is tilted to follow the sword.

Wow!!..coming from you Tom that means a great deal! your white scars successor thread is amazing..thanks for the comments.

looking great ! i like pose 4-5 the best , something about his left arm looks better in those poses,

also Where does that helmet come from

Its from the new DA upgrade sprue ;)

Pose 5 I think is the best one. Is the helmet from the new upgrade sprue?

Yeah im feeling 5 too 

wow! Off to a great start! You undersold your skills, for sure. You seems like you take your time to plan things out and make careful decisions; that makes a huge difference in this wacky hobby.

If you love the pose, don't change a thing. I think if it was me, I would rotate the bolter arm so that the bolter is perpendicular to the ground, rtaher than being tilted back the way it is now.

Can you tilt the head back so that he is looking more forward, rather than down? If not, when you do the base try to give him something to stand on so he is higher than the models around him.

Looking forward to following this thread-- keep it up!

you put up the new poses while I was typing-- I definitely like the ones where his head is tilted to follow the sword.

Wow!!..coming from you Tom that means a great deal! your white scars successor thread is amazing..thanks for the comments.

looking great ! i like pose 4-5 the best , something about his left arm looks better in those poses,

also Where does that helmet come from

Its from the new DA upgrade sprue ;)

Pose 5 I think is the best one. Is the helmet from the new upgrade sprue?

Yeah im feeling 5 too

Sorry guy's I'm selling you a red herring. The helm is taken from brother Balthasar out of the Dark vengeance pack...I do have the helm from the upgrade sprue but it didn't look as good.

No further progress on the miniature today but did take geektom's suggestion of an elevated base on board.

Gave it some thought this morning and decided i wanted the base to resemble a stepped, stone outcrop which Azrael has ascended to have a better overview of the impending battle

Started by roughly marking out the base diameter along with the area i wanted removed to represent the steps, cut from sheet using scissors and then roughed edges simply by pulling away with fingers.

gallery_86300_11068_20018.jpg

gallery_86300_11068_590310.jpg

Offered up the layers to see how it looked but thought it was too narrow and high and the final standing area too small. Made a wider base and removed final layer.

gallery_86300_11068_316694.jpg

gallery_86300_11068_774182.jpg

Slapped on some PVA and squished whilst glue went off

gallery_86300_11068_722010.jpg

Once glue was dry slapped on 2 coats of abaddon black mixed with water 50/50 mix

gallery_86300_11068_1069625.jpg

gallery_86300_11068_809426.jpg

Once base coat was dry, offered up to see how he looked

gallery_86300_11068_641043.jpg

Also did one for my wee watcher.

gallery_86300_11068_118029.jpg

I'll try to finish off tomorrow if home from work at a decent hour msn-wink.gif

Just a small update as i only managed to grab an hour last nigh :(

Bases finished

gallery_86300_11068_301240.jpg

gallery_86300_11068_527191.jpg

Did a bit more on Azrael, removed some purity seals from the cape and leg, removed the vile which was hanging from right side of belt and replaced with dagger. Removed a jem from left side of belt and replaced with grenades and finally removed the 2 headed eagle from the left chin guard as i thought this represented Ultra Marines more than DA. Managed to cut an angel figure from a DWK shoulder pad and have bluetac'd to see how it looks, not sure about it so feedback /comments regarding this would be much appreciated.

And finally, was rummaging through my bits jar and found this hooded head, i don't think its a DWK head as i have a full selection of these still on a sprue. I think its a RWK head from the upgrade sprue but i think it work well as an un-helmed option, what do you guys think?

gallery_86300_11068_744065.jpg

gallery_86300_11068_933981.jpg

Great conversions all around!  Can't wait to see a coat of paint.  :)

I like the hooded head, he isnt as regal but looks pretty badass.

Great conversion!

Many thanks for the kind comments.

I plan to magnetise both heads so I can have best of both worlds ;)

An inspiring conversion, the one nitpick I have to voice is that the robed figure on his greave looks tacked on at the moment.

Also, I have to say I am curiuos how he would look were his head to face straight forward in the second to last picture.

An inspiring conversion, the one nitpick I have to voice is that the robed figure on his greave looks tacked on at the moment.

Also, I have to say I am curiuos how he would look were his head to face straight forward in the second to last picture.

Thanks for the comments Ashmantle. Not too sure what you're referring to when you say "robed figure tacked to greave"? The main figure is resin with anything plastic (darker grey items) currently just put in place with bluetac so as to get a visual of how they'd look..nothing has been glued or green stuffed at the minute.

I'll pop up a pic of him with the robed head looking forward if I get chance this evening

Hey, great job on the shoulder pad! You really seem to underestimate your modelling skills and have some awesome ideas. As for the poses, I like 4 and 5 the most.

My only gripe with him is the lack of robes. I personally wouldn't use the body you chose. For me, it looks a little bit too generic for a DA chapter master.

I was referring to the angel figure you put on the shin guard(the greave) to replace the twoheaded eagle and that it looked like it was just glued on top of the existing ornament. I did not realize that it was only bluetac'd to see how it looked.

Sorry, my mistake for only skimming the text in your post.

I like the idea, but I fear this particular bit might be a little too big.

Hey, great job on the shoulder pad! You really seem to underestimate your modelling skills and have some awesome ideas. As for the poses, I like 4 and 5 the most.

My only gripe with him is the lack of robes. I personally wouldn't use the body you chose. For me, it looks a little bit too generic for a DA chapter master.

Thanks for the comments Finn all greatly appreciated and sometimes it does take another's perspective for the obvious to be seen...but..on this occasion the whole reason i went with a miniature without robes was to distinguish him more forma standard DA.....i totally agree he does looks a bit generic at the moment but hoping the painting will tie him in better.

I was referring to the angel figure you put on the shin guard(the greave) to replace the twoheaded eagle and that it looked like it was just glued on top of the existing ornament. I did not realize that it was only bluetac'd to see how it looked.

Sorry, my mistake for only skimming the text in your post.

I like the idea, but I fear this particular bit might be a little too big.

ah!..so that's the correct name is it?..Greave..i'll remember that for future, thanks...yeah i wasn't sure how it would turn out when i had the idea and i'm also not really feeling it. im gonna try to remove a bit more of the existing design to see if it sits better, if not i'll have to go back to the drawing board.

many thanks for all the comments/feedback/suggestions, i really do appreciate it.

I don't know, the hood without the robes makes me think of a hooded cape or the like. So maybe a cowl? This reminds me of Batman, which is a good thing. msn-wink.gif

I don't know, the hood without the robes makes me think of a hooded cape or the like. So maybe a cowl? This reminds me of Batman, which is a good thing. msn-wink.gif

Yeah that's the sort of thing i was intending, the hood is a continuation of the cape

Thanks for the comments Finn all greatly appreciated and sometimes it does take another's perspective for the obvious to be seen...but..on this occasion the whole reason i went with a miniature without robes was to distinguish him more forma standard DA.....i totally agree he does looks a bit generic at the moment but hoping the painting will tie him in better.

For certain, he looks miles better then Balthasar headswap Azraels. DAs, if robed, should have a monastic vibe, not "look-I'm-a-space-pope-after-pimp-my-power-armour" smile.png

i would say stay with the hooded head , considering you have the watcher holding the lions helm it kinda makes sense with a hood.

Nice work, I'd go for the hooded head; looks much more sinister and brooding. Perfect for the Unforgiven.

I plan to use both heads but will only field the watcher when i use the hooded head...i just like the idea of having the choice..lol

Archived