Azrael!..he just doesn't cut it! (quite pic heavy)

Hm74

No further progress this week I'm afraid :(...been trying to get my terminators & DWK's finished as they've been sat patiently waiting to be painting for a while now.

On top of that I have a delivery due of tactical, assault, veteran & devestator squads...so really need to get my finger out..lol

• 2 weeks later...

So..

This is where we got up to last time. some fantastic suggestions and advise which is always appreciated :)

gallery_86300_11068_933981.jpg

finished magnetizing the left arm and the head opening, magnetized both heads and test for fit....all good and it allows for different head poses (Bonus!)

gallery_86300_11068_251195.jpg

gallery_86300_11068_421788.jpg

gallery_86300_11068_672802.jpg

Decided i liked the idea of the greave (think that's how its spelt) emblem just not the one id test fitted. found something more appropriate in my bits jar and chopped, shaved 7 filed until it was the adequate. Filed away the existing greave eagle emblem and removed an area on the greave to allow the new emblem to sit more flush. once happy i then tidied with green stuff.

gallery_86300_11068_237205.jpg

gallery_86300_11068_325221.jpg

Once this was completed i realised the base + figure may be awkward when transporting so magnetized figure and base...its solid!!

gallery_86300_11068_622091.jpg

As well as my Azrael and DWT/DWK projects i wanted to make a start on my Demi company and so ive taken delivery of a 1x tactical, 2 x assault, 2 x Vets & 1 x Dev squads and have made a start on building the tac squad imparticular the sergeant. decided i wanted all load-out options and magnetized the shizzle out of it!

I realised al the options are swappable between the sergeant and Azrael and so had a play!

gallery_86300_11068_153969.jpg

gallery_86300_11068_222029.jpg

gallery_86300_11068_324767.jpg

gallery_86300_11068_753751.jpg

gallery_86300_11068_221617.jpg

gallery_86300_11068_995657.jpg

gallery_86300_11068_782970.jpg

Azrael is pretty much done now, i'm happy with how the builds gone and so bring on the painting updates ;)

amazing conversion, but I got to ask about your paints, how did you get them in those nice Valejo like bottles?

Bought the 10ml "eye dropper" bottles off of evil bay, think I paid about £6 for 100 (included delivery) Delivery took a while as they're from Korea but I wasn't in any rush. Once arrived I simply used one of the bottles for water and added The necessary drops of water to each pot, shook well and then poured into new dropper bottles. I used an adapted pair of eye brow tweezers to scoop out the last remaining paint from the pots. You won't get all the paint but I found the amount left in the pots was very minimal.

When adding water to the pots I found the amount needed does differ between it being a "base" and "layer" and the colour. I found that all of the Browns are very thick and needed the most water to get to the correct consistency....trial and error really. A good starter paint is Mephiston red, this only needs approx 15-18 drops to get to the correct consistency. Once you've seen the consistency it's just a case of adding additional drops to the other paints as needed.

The labels can be cut off the existing pots using your craft knife and simply stuck on the new pots as the label still has enough glue.

I had some very small non corrosive self tapping screws which I added to each dropper which helps when shaking to mix the paint. As long as it's non corrosive and small enough you can anything really as long as it's heavy enough to move through the paint

All I'd say is be patient, don't rush and take your time..it helps that I suffer from mild OCD, have no friends and class my self as a geek ;)

Let me know how you get on.

Also, YouTube is very good to see how it's done.

Hahaha thats completely bonkers!!! Hat's off to you sir, I love it. With that amount of dedication, and determination, before you've even got a brush wet, this is one i'll be keeping an eye on I think. 

great job! Though I would find away to give the HQ a chest plate that isn't so generic with the tassel.

I personally like the tassels and was the main draw to the figure. I've tried to make him more DA and hopefully I can do him justice when it comes to paint time

Thank you all for the positive comments ;)

Hahaha thats completely bonkers!!! Hat's off to you sir, I love it. With that amount of dedication, and determination, before you've even got a brush wet, this is one i'll be keeping an eye on I think. 

hey Rhetoricus, thanks for the comments and just noticed you're located in Hull, i'm also located in Hull...such a small world..lol

Man, I love the idea but I can't imagine re-potting all of my GW paints.  That's some serious dedication!

To be honest I don't think it took that long, probably an afternoon at the most ;).....after reading about the amount of paint that's wasted and the damage done to brushes when using the Citadel pots it's just made sense to do it..and once you've done it the once you just keep topping them up.

• 3 months later...

Finally got my finger out and managed to finish my Azrial. I'm gutted as he didn't come out as well as i'd hoped.

First time using Army Painter Angel Green and with hindsight i should have run a test miniature first to see how it applied

Stupidly of me i assumed it would apply the same way as the other sprays i tend to use. I found the Army painter goes on very "thickly" even when sprayed from quite a distance from the miniture. As such some of the detail has been lost (especially on the left shoulder)...I'm usually very careful when applying sprays and tend to apply using multiple thin layers but i really struggled with this stuff...needless to say i wont be using again ;(

On the plus side i do like how his banner came out.

Well let me know your thoughts and feedback is always appreciated to try and improve.

gallery_86300_11068_69514.jpg

gallery_86300_11068_82155.jpg

gallery_86300_11068_37630.jpg

I'm really impressed with your vision and dedication to this project.  AS has been said before, you have sold yourself short re: your skills - this is a very impressive piece of work for someone of your experience!  You have got no reason to be 'hacked off' with yourself!

The green is exactly like the DAs should be (for me) - non of this moot green / warpstone psychedelic glow or whatever it is called highlighting!  I love the bronze on the weapons and the conversion work is sublime.  

Only 3 things for me:

1) The greenstuff coils you have added don't look as neat as everything else on the model

2) The plasma part of the combi-bolter needs something....maybe some highlighting / contrasting colour....just something but I can't put my finger on it!

3) I'd put an OSL style glow around the eye lenses...I think this would add some drama to the mini!

Feel free to ignore me though - this is a fantastic piece of work!

Very nice conversion, although i feel he could do with a little more highlighting and something small under his left foot to level him off and stop the slight lean forward. Maybe a piece of slate from the basing kit or something?

The head looking in the direction of the blade looks great, and its a great mini

Archived