Hey guys,

So another list I've been toying with is a Terminator-heavy Iron Warriors list. As I already have a Fellbade this presents an interesting conundrum: I can't take Perty to enable deep-strike, so I'd need to foot slog. Of course in larger Apoc style games I could take both the Primarch and the Fellblade, but given how anal my meta is about 30k, and about playing at higher than 2k points, I don't think that will happen often. So here's what I've come up with so far:

Iron Warriors 3k (3002pts)
Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness)
  • HQ
    • Legion Praetor

Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Combi-Weapon, Digital Lasers, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Paragon Blade

• Master of the Legion

Pride of the Legion

• Troops
    • Legion Terminator Squad

Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist, 9x Legion Terminators, 2x Reaper Autocannon

Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist, 9x Legion Terminators, 2x Reaper Autocannon

• Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad

4x Tyrant Terminator

4x Tyrant Terminator

• Elites
    • Contemptor Dreadnought Talon
      • Legion Contemptor Dreadnought

Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, 2x Heavy Flamer

• Legion Contemptor Dreadnought

Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, 2x Heavy Flamer

• Legion Rapier Weapons Battery

Graviton Cannon

Graviton Cannon

• Heavy Support
    • Iron Havoc Support Squad

9x Iron Havoc, 9x Missile Launcher (with Frag, Krak, & Flakk missiles)

• Iron Havoc Sergeant

Augury Scanner, Missile Launcher (with Frag, Krak, & Flakk missiles)

• Legion
    • Legion Astartes

IV: Iron Warriors

• Lord of War
    • Legion Fellblade

Armoured Ceramite, Space Marine Legion Crew

The premise is that each unit of Terminators would have an associated unit of Tyrants and a Contemptor to counter-assault any big nasties that might bog them down. The Rapiers are just something I already have, and I like the idea of pie plates that limit the enemies movement, since foot slogging Cataphractii are pretty damn slow. The Fellblade and the Havocs sit at the back of the board and soften up key targets for assault by the Terminators, with the Fellblade prioritizing other super heavies. The Praetor joins himself to one of the Termy blobs and will hopefully get to chop something up with this Paragon Blade before he gets blown off the table (he is mainly in the list to get PoTL).

Any thoughts? Does another Legion do Terminator lists better, especially if they're walking?

Thanks!

Depends, what are you looking for your terminators to do?

If its CC, WE, Sallies and IF do that pretty good either through sheer brutality of the unit (Red Butchers) or Resilience (IF Storm Shields, Sally Firedrakes).

If its shooting, it depends on what kind of shooting. Anti-Armor shooting its Fulmentarus from the UM or Iron Tyrants from the IW. Anti-Horde, Larneans do it pretty great but most generic Terminators can do it just as well since they can also take Volkite and swap 1in5 for a Heavy Flamer.

Though for a list like this, I'd say go full bore on Tyrants. Just load up on them. I made a 3k list that might suit your needs since it has 30 Tyrants and Perturabo meaning they can all Deepstrike T1 if needed and drown the enemy in either 60 Krak Missiles of 60 Frag Missiles.

Then, you got 3 Deredeos for more shooting but with the Antomantic Pavise to turn the Tyrants 4++ into a 3++ for more resiliency. And since they still have skyfire, that base is covered.

It also has Perturabo with Forgebreaker. Can't go wrong with him.

Edit: heres an old-ish post I made on Terminators http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/308053-pride-of-the-legion-row/?p=4055403 and http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/299162-terminator-wing-armies/?hl=terminator#entry3900723

As always your advice is most welcome Slip!

How about this:

Iron Warriors 3k (2995pts)
Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness)
  • HQ
    • Legion Centurion

Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon

• Consul

Primus Medicae

• Troops

Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist, 9x Legion Terminators, 2x Plasma Blaster

Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist, 9x Legion Terminators, 2x Plasma Blaster

9x Tyrant Terminator

9x Tyrant Terminator

9x Tyrant Terminator

• Legion
    • Legion Astartes

IV: Iron Warriors

• Lord of War
    • The Primarch Perturabo

After Istvaan

• Master of the Legion

Pride of the Legion

That many Obsec Terminators pumping out that much firepower will be hard to displace. Just make sure you plan ahead during deployment since once they're on the board, they wont really be all that maneuverable.

Luckily, you have Split Fire on the Tyrants due to the Omniscopes and Perturabo has Unlimited Orbital Bombardments so you shouldnt have much of a Target Saturation problem.

As for the Primus, hes still a Support officer so hes not a compulsory choice. Its why I took a Siege Breaker since He'd give a Squad's Missile Launchers Tank Hunters; making them more threatening to Armor. Just make sure you always approach Spartans from more than one angle or you'll be doing squat to it.

For the Theme, it works. But if you're playing Maelstrom, if you want to win the objective game, that means spreading out your Terminators across the board to land them on objectives (or close enough) and we all know how tough/flimsy 10 Terminators can be at times, so just be aware of that.

This will very much be a Finesse Army, thats for sure. If you ever make this a reality, I'd love to hear about its performance!

Luckily, you have Split Fire on the Tyrants due to the Omniscopes and Perturabo has Unlimited Orbital Bombardments so you shouldnt have much of a Target Saturation problem.

Hate to nitpick but he doesn't have unlimited orbital bombardments, he can only use it once per game in the shooting phase - it's in the paragraph rather than the text for the weapon profile itself

Other than that, agree with a lot of what you've said!

Hate to nitpick but he doesn't have unlimited orbital bombardments, he can only use it once per game in the shooting phase - it's in the paragraph rather than the text for the weapon profile itself

Other than that, agree with a lot of what you've said!

Thats what happens when I read its profile and dont see "one-use" and make assumptions, LOL

Archived