Officia Monstrosa – Iron Warriors

Lovely to see you continuing with these guys. I was due to post suggesting that Perturabo be given a smaller base, and I'm glad you've done that. I look forward to seeing where you go with this! I definitely think we should see a comparison with the rank and file. I like the idea that your army, full of demi-gods and heroes as it is, passes by unremarked and unremembered in the grand scheme of things as the Primarch takes to the field of battle. That they might be very small in the grand scheme of things!

I like the idea that your army, full of demi-gods and heroes as it is, passes by unremarked and unremembered in the grand scheme of things as the Primarch takes to the field of battle. That they might be very small in the grand scheme of things!

Yes, the scale of the Horus Heresy (in particular), where demi-gods strode the Earth, makes even the mighty space marines seem powerless...

Transhuman shock

IMG_3223.JPG

Big fellow, n'est pas?

IMG_3225.JPG

What might have been...

IMG_3222.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

]Looks great! What about a family shot with the grand kids (the mortals you showed next to the marines a few pages back

Sounds good – let me set up a shot :smile.:

Have you ever thought of doing a World Eater? I would imagine it would look fannnnntastic!

What did you have in mind? Always up for exploring an idea :smile.:

+++

+ Phalangite Metricos +

IMG_3419.JPG

+ I have raised this Imperium not for a man, but for all mankind. In his vainglory, the Emperor must be felled; no different from any other tyrant we have toppled from a thousand perches on a thousand worlds. This is a solemn duty, and is to be approached as is any parricide; with detachment and cold duty. So will we demonstrate the power of the Imperium; greater than any man.

There is another task to be accomplished before that fell day. The capture of my brother. That duty is more to my liking; and more to be relished. +

attr. Perturabo

+ Speak not of us, but glance, and move on. +

Creed of the Officia Monstrosa

IMG_3424.JPG

+ As angels to the masses of humanity, so are the Primarchs to the Astartes. How could a Space Marine hope to subdue a Primarch? +

IMG_3423.JPG

+ We are Legion. +

IMG_3421.JPG

+ Serenity in conflict. +

IMG_3422.JPG

+ We shall be the coins on the eyes of gods. +

Edited by Apologist

Cheers chaps – nice to be back on the hobby horse. Athrawes; keep (third) a eye open for a PM; I'd like to pick your brains...

You're always welcome to pick my brains Apologist, assuming you can find them for me. Sometimes my mind wanders and chooses not to come back.

On a more serious note, have you had a chance to slap some paint on or do some tweaking to the Lord of Iron yet?

On a more serious note, have you had a chance to slap some paint on or do some tweaking to the Lord of Iron yet?

[...] those iron warriors are some serious metal. Need to see the Lord of Iron..pluss...conversions galore

Wait no longer; here's a WIP:

IMG_3439.JPG

There's some more in-depth thoughts on Death of a Rubricist here, but the basic gist is that he's well on his way, and I hope to finish him off in the next couple of days. I'd love any thoughts or suggestions before I finish him.

As mentioned, he's a big fella. Here's the Primarch next to Metricos to show that even enlarged marines get dwarfed by the gods of war:

IMG_3442.JPG

However, there's at least one person on the force who can look down at Perturabo: Ibrim Bösse, from his seat in the Leviathan dreadnought Hekaton Zodios:

IMG_3443.JPG

He's joined the queue at the foundry, but – out of politeness – will have to wait for the Logos to be complete.

Cheers all :)

+++

+ Phalangite Ivanho +

IMG_3444.JPG

+ The Iron Warriors' geneseed allowed for excellent integration with bionics and augmetics, on par with the Xth Legion. In concert with their experienced Apothecarion, this meant that more casualties were returned to the front lines more quickly than in other Legions. +

IMG_3427.JPG
+ On the face of things, this should have proven a great advantage to the Imperium. In practice, it meant that a culture of brutal pressure and expectation built up around the wounded, forcing them back into warfare before they were truly recovered, dosed with immuno-suppressants and caked in anti-sepsis gels. In addition, while bionics and augments took readily, the flesh of the IVth Legion Astartes was not impervious to damage. Marginally less physically resilient than the Xth or XIVth Legions, Iron Warriors pushed back into the fight occasionally found themselves unable to keep up with their comrades, leading to a vicious circle of injury and too-swift return. Inevitably, this led to ill-feeling within Musters and Grand Companies. +

IMG_3429.JPG
+ This rapid cycling of casualties back into the fight did have its advantages, particularly when scale of firepower was more important than quality. Phalangite Ivanho, pictured here, has been pushed back into the lines with a bulky temporary augmetic on his injured eye, preventing him from wearing a standard helm. Low-tech solutions like this were far from ideal, particularly in the rad- and gas-swamped battlegrounds of the Imperial Palace, but the Pitiless IVth were uncompromising. +

IMG_3425.JPG
+ The lack of rest and repair is more obvious from this angle, as the damage to Ivanho's battleplate is shown. Cuts and rents in his breastplate, along with popped rivets in the reinforcement in his thigh armour, tell a grim story. The rest of his equipment appears standard; an unremarkable set of equipment for a standard line warrior. Soldiers like Ivanho were exceptional on their worlds of recruitment (Ivanho himself was drawn from a dusty satellite in the Dheneb system), but set against the stalwart Imperial Fists manning the walls, proved merely servicable. Casualties against the well dug-in Loyalist forces were horrendous. +

IMG_3428.JPG
+ His muster markings are standard; though his boltgun is slightly unusual for this Grand Company. The Varn-pattern weapon was forged under license from the Forge World Umbra, and is near identical save for being constructed mainly from plastek. This renders it non-magnetic and requiring a carrying strap. +

IMG_3426.JPG

+ Ivanho survived the Heresy, perishing in the Legion Wars nearly two centuries (Terran standard reckoning) later. His corpse was time-stamped after being found lashed to a standard lost by a Night Lords raiding party on Cadia. +

IMG_3436.JPG

Thank very much :)

Anything in particular you'd like to see me investigate about the Legion? I've got a few things on the board, but the nice thing about this project is just being able to work on what strikes me at the time, rather than working to a more concrete plan, as with my Ultramarines, the Praetors of Calth.

I'm always open to new ideas or challenges from people :)

Have you ever thought of doing a World Eater? I would imagine it would look fannnnntastic!

I have actually just had some better ideas too! (and totally just seen that you responded to me)

+ Some beefy, scarred, brutalized and surviving legionary of the Salamanders. Gladius/hammer in hand, filled with molten fury and burning vengeance!

+ Raven Guard legionary, just about to plunge a knife into the lungs of a Traitor from behind

+ World Eater, roaring at the sky, covered with gore, arms outstretched.

+ Space wolf, all hairy, looking for a pub to smash up

I have actually just had some better ideas too! (and totally just seen that you responded to me)

+ Some beefy, scarred, brutalized and surviving legionary of the Salamanders. Gladius/hammer in hand, filled with molten fury and burning vengeance!

+ Raven Guard legionary, just about to plunge a knife into the lungs of a Traitor from behind

I NEED TO SEE THE WE but in iron warrior form!!! With your skills it will be stunning. I can see a brute in my head bare arms with blood handprints all down his armor. Or something suitably grim like that. Edited by jimbo13

Some food for thought, and very cool ideas there... Thank you very much! Watch this space :smile.:

+++

+ Perturabo, the Lord of Iron +

IMG_3466.JPG

Tell them ruin has come to their world, death, despair and red war...

Tell them their hopes and pride have come to nothing.

Tell them their empty whispers fall upon deaf ears - their gods are dead, human logic has killed them.

Tell them the Angels of Death have come.

Tell them that nothing can save them now...

Edited by Apologist