The Grail Wardens: a Liber Astartes Group Project

Doctor Perils

Anyway, what do you think of the emblem I've done for the Knights Resplendent ? I don't know what your colour scheme is, so I've tried to represent a metallic red (though I don't think I've managed it that well)

If you want any changes, you can PM me, and we can hammer out the details. I've also been trying to think of a way to Slaaneshise it, but it might turn out to be easier to do it at a slant.

EDIT: Here are a couple of variants

http://i21.servimg.com/u/f21/15/92/38/07/e-knig10.pnghttp://i21.servimg.com/u/f21/15/92/38/07/e-knig11.png

Edited by Lord Thørn

Anyway, what do you think of the emblem I've done for the Knights Resplendent ? I don't know what your colour scheme is, so I've tried to represent a metallic red (though I don't think I've managed it that well)

If you want any changes, you can PM me, and we can hammer out the details. I've also been trying to think of a way to Slaaneshise it, but it might turn out to be easier to do it at a slant.

EDIT: Here are a couple of variants

http://1.1.1.2/bmi/i21.servimg.com/u/f21/15/92/38/07/e-knig10.pnghttp://1.1.1.3/bmi/i21.servimg.com/u/f21/15/92/38/07/e-knig11.png

OOOI like the emblem on the pink one, the Colours I have my slaanesh stuff in is bone with a purple trim

11059664_881649221894436_680393390879102

Edited by SlaveToDarkness

Is this better ?

http://i21.servimg.com/u/f21/15/92/38/07/e-knig12.png

I like those models. You really get the Blood Angels influence, as well as the chaos (warp talons), and it works well as a whole. Have you got a separate thread where you present your models and/or your fluff ?

Is this better ?

http://1.1.1.4/bmi/i21.servimg.com/u/f21/15/92/38/07/e-knig12.png

I like those models. You really get the Blood Angels influence, as well as the chaos (warp talons), and it works well as a whole. Have you got a separate thread where you present your models and/or your fluff ?

Bang on. :tu:

Just my ETL thread but the picture links aint working. Though tbh the Warp Talons are the best minis in the army, the rest was rushed a bit. If I get time next week I'll get pictures of the whole force up with my fluff. 

Sorry for the time this has taken! 

My take on the Crimson Knights is evolving, thanks to your observations and input. I hit a rock with the Chapter's origin, but this thread made it easier. It also got me thinking about what writers do when they hit a wall: they turn their problem into a solution. In my case, the Chapter's origin was giving me a headache. Now it's the Chapter's headache!

To sum up, the Crimson Knights have no clue of what their origin is. There are myths in the Chapter about them being of Sanguinius' seed, but it has never been confirmed, and the fact that they do not suffer the Red Thrist makes it quite clear. Still, many believe they are descendants of the Blood Angels, while other groups believe that they were sired by the Imperial Fists or the Salamanders. A small group of squires and apothecaries even maintain the hidden notion that they descend from the Thousand Sons, because of similarities in livery and thirst for knowledge.

This is why the Chapter has a Genetorium, a department where the Apothecaries, led by the Master Memorancer, trace back the genetic ascendance of each Knight in vast genealogic trees. This makes this Chapter unique in that they consider that every Marine has two parents: a genetic father (whose gene-seed allowed for the creation of the neophite) and a ward father, who trained him while he was a squire. These two combine to create very intrincate mappings of the Chapter's history.

It also makes the Knights very supersticious of the gene-seed and its properties, believing that a valerous marine produces valerous gene-seed, and that a cowardly one generated cowardly gene-seed. There have been cases of apothecaries not harvesting the gene-seed of dishonorable Knights (few, but it has happened). Some youngsters also have tried to steal other chapters' gene-seed, on rare occasions, in order to further the discovery of the Chapter's origin, but they have been executed for such act.

The only clue the Chapter has as to their origin is in the Myth of the Grail. If they find the Grail, they might gain the knowledge and memories locked within the memory of all their gene-ancestors, up until Sanguinius -some believe, at least-. Some Knights, therefore, vow to go in small parties, or even alone, on an Errantry, and help other Imperial forces in trouble, join other Chapters temporarily, etc, in order to obtain information on the Chapter's history or its myths. Especially the Grail.

Recently the Court of Lord Sagramore has become the biggest proponent of the Imperial Fists origin story, due to Sagramore's time in Phalanx during the Feast of Blades, while he was chasing Marsilius, one of the last Alpha Legionnaries who ambushed and defeated Lord Turpin's crusade at the Massacre of Ronces Faux.

+++

The Knights' homeworld of Albion is located in the Galactic Fringe, far from most civilised lands and almost outside the reach of the Astronomican. 

So, this means:

1- The Knights may not remember they were part of the Grail Wardens due to some cataclysm or disaster, maybe the same one that occured when the Wardens tried to close the Rift. Maybe they suffered greatly at the hands of the traitors, maybe they lost most of their genetic material and the Chapter was almost discontinued. This would fit nicely with the Grail fluff. When was the Rift created? Just to know how old do the Knights think their Chapter is.

2- The old Chapter's remains travel to Albion, a feudal world, where they are treated as messiahs by the local population. Here we can insert the Eldar menace, but that has nothing to do with the Grail. Still, it's interesting that the Eldar decide, after a while fighting the fallen Marines, that it's better to leave them in Albion and use them as a shield to whatever they're savegarding beneath the surface of the planet.

3- The Knights were called otherwise before, maybe Swords Observant? Working title. 

4- The Knights are invited (or ask?) to become part of the Grail Wardens given their proximity to the Grail Abyss (Albion is a fringe world, it doesn't matter which frige as of now). 

5- The discovery of their origin (the Imperial Fists) also makes it evident that they were a part of the Warden order.

6- What remains to be considered is what to do with the Grail itself, since it seems it's a real object. Maybe they have gotten a peak and seen it's not the real Grail they're after?

+++

What do you think?

Edited by Cèsar de Quart

I like quite a few of the ideas going on here, especially the beliefs about the gene-seed.

Do they really need a different name at one time ?

And do they take part in the Red Crusade ? We'd understood that they did, because they wouldn't necessarily be easily called to help otherwise. And if they did, then the other members of the Grail Wardens would remind them.

My take on the Crimson Knights is evolving, thanks to your observations and input. I hit a rock with the Chapter's origin, but this thread made it easier. It also got me thinking about what writers do when they hit a wall: they turn their problem into a solution. In my case, the Chapter's origin was giving me a headache. Now it's the Chapter's headache!

To sum up, the Crimson Knights have no clue of what their origin is. There are myths in the Chapter about them being of Sanguinius' seed, but it has never been confirmed, and the fact that they do not suffer the Red Thrist makes it quite clear. Still, many believe they are descendants of the Blood Angels, while other groups believe that they were sired by the Imperial Fists or the Salamanders. A small group of squires and apothecaries even maintain the hidden notion that they descend from the Thousand Sons, because of similarities in livery and thirst for knowledge.

This is why the Chapter has a Genetorium, a department where the Apothecaries, led by the Master Memorancer, trace back the genetic ascendance of each Knight in vast genealogic trees. This makes this Chapter unique in that they consider that every Marine has two parents: a genetic father (whose gene-seed allowed for the creation of the neophite) and a ward father, who trained him while he was a squire. These two combine to create very intrincate mappings of the Chapter's history.

It also makes the Knights very supersticious of the gene-seed and its properties, believing that a valerous marine produces valerous gene-seed, and that a cowardly one generated cowardly gene-seed. There have been cases of apothecaries not harvesting the gene-seed of dishonorable Knights (few, but it has happened). Some youngsters also have tried to steal other chapters' gene-seed, on rare occasions, in order to further the discovery of the Chapter's origin, but they have been executed for such act.

The only clue the Chapter has as to their origin is in the Myth of the Grail. If they find the Grail, they might gain the knowledge and memories locked within the memory of all their gene-ancestors, up until Sanguinius -some believe, at least-. Some Knights, therefore, vow to go in small parties, or even alone, on an Errantry, and help other Imperial forces in trouble, join other Chapters temporarily, etc, in order to obtain information on the Chapter's history or its myths. Especially the Grail.

Recently the Court of Lord Sagramore has become the biggest proponent of the Imperial Fists origin story, due to Sagramore's time in Phalanx during the Feast of Blades, while he was chasing Marsilius, one of the last Alpha Legionnaries who ambushed and defeated Lord Turpin's crusade at the Massacre of Ronces Faux.

+++

The Knights' homeworld of Albion is located in the Galactic Fringe, far from most civilised lands and almost outside the reach of the Astronomican. 

So, this means:

1- The Knights may not remember they were part of the Grail Wardens due to some cataclysm or disaster, maybe the same one that occured when the Wardens tried to close the Rift. Maybe they suffered greatly at the hands of the traitors, maybe they lost most of their genetic material and the Chapter was almost discontinued. This would fit nicely with the Grail fluff. When was the Rift created? Just to know how old do the Knights think their Chapter is.

2- The old Chapter's remains travel to Albion, a feudal world, where they are treated as messiahs by the local population. Here we can insert the Eldar menace, but that has nothing to do with the Grail. Still, it's interesting that the Eldar decide, after a while fighting the fallen Marines, that it's better to leave them in Albion and use them as a shield to whatever they're savegarding beneath the surface of the planet.

3- The Knights were called otherwise before, maybe Swords Observant? Working title. 

4- The Knights are invited (or ask?) to become part of the Grail Wardens given their proximity to the Grail Abyss (Albion is a fringe world, it doesn't matter which frige as of now). 

5- The discovery of their origin (the Imperial Fists) also makes it evident that they were a part of the Warden order.

+++

What do you think?

1. From what I'd understood, the Grail was created to prevent the rift from opening, and the Grail Wardens were created to protect it. To complete this task, the chapters that took part in the Red Crusade each send one squad (or ten marines). I don't see why the other participants of the Grail Wardens would let the Crimson Knights forget ?
    1. I think the Red Crusade and the Rift are created after the third founding (so after 001.M32). I think it wouldn't be later than M33.
  2. I really don't think the Eldar would leave the planet to be defended by the Space Marines, I prefer your former idea of the planet already being abandoned. (Also, be careful of using the term "fallen" when talking about marines, it can be mistaken as "Fallen Dark Angels")
  3. see before quote
  4. If the Crimson Knights were part of the invocation that closed the rift with the Grail, then they are blood oathed to take part in the Grail Wardens ?
  5. Why would the discovery of their true ascent make it clear they were part of the Grail Wardens ?

I like quite a few of the ideas going on here, especially the beliefs about the gene-seed.

Do they really need a different name at one time ?

And do they take part in the Red Crusade ? We'd understood that they did, because they wouldn't necessarily be easily called to help otherwise. And if they did, then the other members of the Grail Wardens would remind them.

+++

So, this means:

+++

What do you think?

1. From what I'd understood, the Grail was created to prevent the rift from opening, and the Grail Wardens were created to protect it. To complete this task, the chapters that took part in the Red Crusade each send one squad (or ten marines). I don't see why the other participants of the Grail Wardens would let the Crimson Knights forget ?
    1. I think the Red Crusade and the Rift are created after the third founding (so after 001.M32). I think it wouldn't be later than M33.
  2. I really don't think the Eldar would leave the planet to be defended by the Space Marines, I prefer your former idea of the planet already being abandoned. (Also, be careful of using the term "fallen" when talking about marines, it can be mistaken as "Fallen Dark Angels")
  3. see before quote
  4. If the Crimson Knights were part of the invocation that closed the rift with the Grail, then they are blood oathed to take part in the Grail Wardens ?
  5. Why would the discovery of their true ascent make it clear they were part of the Grail Wardens ?

1- The whole "different name" thing was to make it more or less believable that the other Grail Wardens didn't tip them on their origin, but that may be nonsense. 

2- Abandoned it is. A maiden world "polluted" by people.

3 and 4- They are blood bound, yes. The idea was that they had forgotten, and that the quest for their origin would lead them to this revelation. This only works if their current homeworld is far from the Grail Abyss and have had little contact with the other Grail Wardens.

4- Because it would make them understand the circumstances of their near destruction during the closing of the Rift, therefore making it known to them that they are Grail Wardens. Right now, they don't know why they ended in Albion or what's their ancestry before M36 (although this millennium can be changed). Also, they lost some of their genealogies and the oldest dreadnoughts in the biochemical attack that destroyed most of their homeworld equipment in M39.

This means that the arc about their origin ends whenever they join the Wardens in a Red Crusade to recover the Grail, which, if I got it right, had been stolen or lost in a corrupt world, and that's why the Grail Wardens have assembled again?

Sorry if I got some things wrong, there was a lot of material here and there in the thread.

Ah, there's been a confusion: the Red Crusade is the original crusade to take the sector/sub-sector early in Imperial History. On the world of Golgotha, they encounter a sizable daemonic horde, which threatens to grow even further because of a warp rift.

The librarians of the chapters of the Red Crusade band together to create an artefact (the Grail) which they use for a ritual to close the Rift, thanks to a Blood Oath made by all the chapter masters (and/or other dignitaries) of the chapters of the Red Crusade.

To prevent the rift from opening again, the Grail has to remain on the planet, in a large temple-keep; and to make sure it isn't stolen and/or damaged, the chapters that took part in the Red Crusade create an order called the Grail Wardens: a squad from each chapter is sent to the Grail Wardens.

Millenia later, one of the chapters that took part in the Red Crusade turns to chaos, and helps steal the Grail from Golgotha. The Red Crusaders and their descendents (parts of each chapter at least) all join up then to launch a quest for the Grail, to prevent the Rift from opening again. So the quest or crusade for the Grail only starts quite late (I think we'd decided around M38)

Does that help ?

I'm writing the IA for my chapter (now tentatively called the Knights Ascendant) at the minute, and have a few questions about tying them to the Grail Wardens. Firstly, and this may already have come up, but do our chapters still send companies to join the Grail Wardens in the "present day"? Secondly, are we plonking this backstory in the Grail Abyss or some wondrous locale of our own devising? And thirdly, at some point I'm going to need a warband to blow up my neighboring planet and wage war against my chapter (see the bit I wrote a while ago about Avalon). Would you be willing to be a part of that, SlaveToDarkness? Or should I make up my own (or leave them unnamed)? I just feel that that would be lacking the personal touch.

1. As of end M41/ beginning M42 ? I don't know really, I think the Grail is stolen around M38 right ?

I think that it might be a good idea to find separate names for the Alliance of chapters (the first of which took part in the Red Crusade) and the Order that guards the Grail (the Grail Wardens themselves). The chapters of the Alliance send squads to the Grail Wardens, but whole companies might take part of the new quest/crusade as part of the Alliance.

2. some wondrous locale of our own devising :smile.:

Nah, I think we can have both "generations" be the grail wardens. I mean, that is what the Grail Wardens were in the first place, an alliance of chapters that promised to protect it. The squads was just their solution. It's sort of like a military cutback. When the war happens, you have entire armies going forth. When peace happens, you cut back on the forces and leave a small garrison. 

Once the grail is found again, they will still need to find a way to protect it (unless we find a more permanent solution?). Of course, not all chapters will agree to send men, and thus they terminate the alliance between their chapters and the rest of the Wardens. But I mean, the whole chapter, not just the squad, are part of the Wardens. It's like a giant Fraternity. 

____

Then again, you might be right. I mean, it is kind of cool if the 10 men at a time were the only grail wardens, but once a grail warden, always one. So lets say I have brother Marco who is a grail warden, and you have brother Whatsit who is also a grail warden, they return to their chapters and many years later they come across each other. Since they were both Wardens, they are part of that fraternity and are honor bound to help each other. That could lead to some cool stuff! 

Maybe we have the "Grail Wardens" which is the alliance between the chapters, and the "Brotherhood" which are the ones that are actually there.

Edited by Arkangilos

Nah, I think we can have both "generations" be the grail wardens. I mean, that is what the Grail Wardens were in the first place, an alliance of chapters that promised to protect it. The squads was just their solution. It's sort of like a military cutback. When the war happens, you have entire armies going forth. When peace happens, you cut back on the forces and leave a small garrison. 

Once the grail is found again, they will still need to find a way to protect it (unless we find a more permanent solution?). Of course, not all chapters will agree to send men, and thus they terminate the alliance between their chapters and the rest of the Wardens. But I mean, the whole chapter, not just the squad, are part of the Wardens. It's like a giant Fraternity. 

____

Then again, you might be right. I mean, it is kind of cool if the 10 men at a time were the only grail wardens, but once a grail warden, always one. So lets say I have brother Marco who is a grail warden, and you have brother Whatsit who is also a grail warden, they return to their chapters and many years later they come across each other. Since they were both Wardens, they are part of that fraternity and are honor bound to help each other. That could lead to some cool stuff! 

Maybe we have the "Grail Wardens" which is the alliance between the chapters, and the "Brotherhood" which are the ones that are actually there.

(you mean like this?) 

1st company vanguard veteran Eesioh surveyed the battlefield, the joint strike force of Archangels and Sanguinary Crusaders. Overlooking the battlefiled from his perch in ruined manufctorum Eesioh made out a squad of terminator clad traitors bearing the hateful colours of the Knights Resplendent. Spreading his angelic wings he leapt off the building and swooped towards the Terminators. Shouting an ancient warcry in Gelarysian he killed two of the traitors outright with his graviton pistol. The third had its head split by his power axe. He stood between the other two with his axe up in a loose guard position. "The emperors wrath guides my blade" he shouted before leaping at the one on his right. The chaos terminator raised its own powersword to block the blow and the blades met in a clash of steel and disruptive energies. Eesioh used his size and mobility to his advantage to swing himself away from the first terminator and to cleave open the second terminators chest with a backhanded swing. He had only just turned back to the final termiator as it crashed into him sending them both sprawling. The brutes immense weight crushed Eesioh and he couldn't reach for his weapons as they were trapped. The terminator though was keeping him pinned with one arm while it reached around and piked up its power sword with other. Eesioh muttered a quick prayer of forgiveness to the emperor for failing before the heretics head vanished in a mist of red. Eesioh felt a the weight shift off him and saw a hand being proffered to him. He took it and came face to face with a Sanguinary Crusader he would never forget. 1st Company Sternguard veteran Arkangilos gave him a faint smile as he lifted up his Vanguard counterpart "Ave Fraternus" Arkangilos said before turning back to the battlefield and reloading his stalker pattern boltergun. 

I'm writing the IA for my chapter (now tentatively called the Knights Ascendant) at the minute, and have a few questions about tying them to the Grail Wardens. Firstly, and this may already have come up, but do our chapters still send companies to join the Grail Wardens in the "present day"? Secondly, are we plonking this backstory in the Grail Abyss or some wondrous locale of our own devising? And thirdly, at some point I'm going to need a warband to blow up my neighboring planet and wage war against my chapter (see the bit I wrote a while ago about Avalon). Would you be willing to be a part of that, SlaveToDarkness? Or should I make up my own (or leave them unnamed)? I just feel that that would be lacking the personal touch.

Yea thats cool, that way I have a bit of fluff to write into my background as well. 

Ahh like the warrior lodges set up in the pre heresy legions. Look what happened there ;)

Ahh like the warrior lodges set up in the pre heresy legions. Look what happened there :wink:

Well, those were set up by someone disloyal.

This is more like someone who served in the Death Watch meeting another guy he served with in the Death Watch. They shared an experience that brings them closer.

"...They shared an experience that brings them closer."

Sorry, but I immediately thought off Brokeback Mountain. :tongue.:

I like the idea. It could be one of the reasons why the Wardens were betrayed. Some members of this brotherhood would have fallen to chaos unknown to the rest of their chapter, preparing the thievery.

Sorry, but I immediately thought off Brokeback Mountain. http://1.1.1.2/bmi/image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png

I like the idea. It could be one of the reasons why the Wardens were betrayed. Some members of this brotherhood would have fallen to chaos unknown to the rest of their chapter, preparing the thievery.

You guys are basically writing the fluff for my warband :lol:

Sorry, but I immediately thought off Brokeback Mountain. http://1.1.1.2/bmi/image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png

You guys are basically writing the fluff for my warband :laugh.:

are you complaining? lol 

____

(you mean like this?) 

1st company vanguard veteran Eesioh surveyed the battlefield, the joint strike force of Archangels and Sanguinary Crusaders. Overlooking the battlefiled from his perch in ruined manufctorum Eesioh made out a squad of terminator clad traitors bearing the hateful colours of the Knights Resplendent. Spreading his angelic wings he leapt off the building and swooped towards the Terminators. Shouting an ancient warcry in Gelarysian he killed two of the traitors outright with his graviton pistol. The third had its head split by his power axe. He stood between the other two with his axe up in a loose guard position. "The emperors wrath guides my blade" he shouted before leaping at the one on his right. The chaos terminator raised its own powersword to block the blow and the blades met in a clash of steel and disruptive energies. Eesioh used his size and mobility to his advantage to swing himself away from the first terminator and to cleave open the second terminators chest with a backhanded swing. He had only just turned back to the final termiator as it crashed into him sending them both sprawling. The brutes immense weight crushed Eesioh and he couldn't reach for his weapons as they were trapped. The terminator though was keeping him pinned with one arm while it reached around and piked up its power sword with other. Eesioh muttered a quick prayer of forgiveness to the emperor for failing before the heretics head vanished in a mist of red. Eesioh felt a the weight shift off him and saw a hand being proffered to him. He took it and came face to face with a Sanguinary Crusader he would never forget. 1st Company Sternguard veteran Arkangilos gave him a faint smile as he lifted up his Vanguard counterpart "Ave Fraternus" Arkangilos said before turning back to the battlefield and reloading his stalker pattern boltergun. 

Pretty nice story, but does it really have to be terminators he's fighting ? I'd already be reluctant to see one marine kill five in barely three seconds, but five terminators smacks of Mary-sueism. I mean, Terminators are supposed to be the greatest fighters in the chapter, and have the best protection in the whole imperium, yet you tear them to shreds with a click of the fingers...

But a good read otherwise !

____

(you mean like this?) 

Pretty nice story, but does it really have to be terminators he's fighting ? I'd already be reluctant to see one marine kill five in barely three seconds, but five terminators smacks of Mary-sueism. I mean, Terminators are supposed to be the greatest fighters in the chapter, and have the best protection in the whole imperium, yet you tear them to shreds with a click of the fingers...

But a good read otherwise !

i was bored, i had 5 mins to kill and I admit i utterly rushed the story. If i do a proper (longer) re-write then they wont be termiators. probably just 5 random CSMS. I originally planned a skyborne duel as both the chaos and space marine armies utilise winged assault troops but in the end chose this path. Though of course my dear thorn, Eesioh is possibly the biggest mary sue since marneius calgar 

Interesting news, everybody!

I just came up with an idea why the (dam nit....who will betray the wardens? forgot the name, sry) would betray their comrades.

Those lodges we talked about could be tainted by chaos. To stay clean and incognito they would have to utilize an ancient ritual concerning fresh blood (maybe of other Space Marines) and the typical BA sarcophagi. Recently this ritual doesn't work anymore. Therefore they could steal the grail as their last chance to stay clean or to use it to corrupt more Marines.

How about that?