The Grail Wardens: a Liber Astartes Group Project

Doctor Perils

That all works for me. Great stuff!

I could be misremembering, but I think we had the Cardinals killed off when the Knights Resplendant turned and the rift opened. The last marine standing sacrificed himself to delay the rift opening fully, giving the successors enough time to clear up the mess. There was an epic story named the Last Cardinal that I believe got suggested at the time but which never got written.

As for the Crusade, what if while it was going on, the Crusadees discovered a wave of Chaosy things threatening to engulf the sector. They worked out that the wave was centred on Golgotha, and had to fight to get to the planet and close the rift before that happened. Once there, the sector was essentially reconquered - the Daemons had taken care of most of the opposition.

Edit: The ninja is srrong in this one!

Edited by Sir Perfluous

Ok,

as I got about 4 Households in hand which I can use for that, I'll wait a bit until it is clear which intention fits the most.

Got

- a Viking themed, melee combat loving (like Space Wolves in Knights)

- a AdMech aligned House which wants to achieve the perfect symbiosis of flesh and metal

- a very knightly themed House (if you are familiar with the Knights of the Silver Hand from Warcraft, something like this), which uses psykers as secret weapon

- an stim addicted House (based on the Dune novels)

All sound good, a few ideas on my own. They are not a house but a coalition of freeblades who are all seeking glory from the grail? Or they are a family house with the hereditary porphyria. They believe the grail could be the cure?

That all works for me. Great stuff!

I could be misremembering, but I think we had the Cardinals killed off when the Knights Resplendant turned and the rift opened. The last marine standing sacrificed himself to delay the rift opening fully, giving the successors enough time to clear up the mess. There was an epic story named the Last Cardinal that I believe got suggested at the time but which never got written.

That sounds great, edited the timeline (again) to add it in. Think it is a lot better than 2 founding members being destroyed at the same time (Thats a bit boring). Everytime something like this gets pointed out, I will update the timeline. If a discrepancy comes up I will SHOUT. What I need now is founding of the Knights Resplendant.

What this is shaping out like is that out of the 4 founding members. 2 are destroyed, 1 survives and leads the crusade to return the grail, one turns.

4 chapters that descend from the founding members take on the oath (Knights Revenant, Archangels, Red Sentinels, Crimson Host), so do the Silver Sons but they do not partake in the crusade

Any glaring issues with that?

As for the Crusade, what if while it was going on, the Crusadees discovered a wave of Chaosy things threatening to engulf the sector. They worked out that the wave was centred on Golgotha, and had to fight to get to the planet and close the rift before that happened. Once there, the sector was essentially reconquered - the Daemons had taken care of most of the opposition.

Sounds fine to me, I do not have most weight here as it really is not my area of knowledge or involvement in the story

Edit: The ninja is srrong in this one!

It is a talent

Edited by Minigiant

Honestly, I'd say the Knights could work best in the "imperial" faction.

So we have three factions with different goals:

Imperial (reclaiming the sector, the SoB looking for a relic based on hearsay, maybe even misinformation to bring us into conflict). Knights flock to this seeking fame and glory, and so Knights can be there for any reason. Some may have even been sought out by the SoB.

IG will be in this faction, too.

Grail Warden (us space marines). We already basically know what the relic is (while the other Imperial factions don't), so we definitely don't want anyone else to take it because they could take it away, or consider it heretical and hate us for it.

Chaos (the ones sowing the trouble). They steal it, help kill off the last Cardinal :( , and invade the whole sector.

The Knights resplendent lead the chaos faction (it can be more than their own warband/chapter, but they are the "leaders" so to speak. I imagine huge armies pouring through after this gets going).

Edited by Arkangilos

Honestly, I'd say the Knights could work best in the "imperial" faction.

So we have three factions with different goals:

Imperial (reclaiming the sector, the SoB looking for a relic based on hearsay, maybe even misinformation to bring us into conflict). Knights flock to this seeking fame and glory, and so Knights can be there for any reason. Some may have even been sought out by the SoB.

IG will be in this faction, too.

Grail Warden (us space marines). We already basically know what the relic is (while the other Imperial factions don't), so we definitely don't want anyone else to take it because they could take it away, or consider it heretical and hate us for it.

Chaos (the ones sowing the trouble). They steal it, help kill off the last Cardinal :sad.: , and invade the whole sector.

The Knights resplendent lead the chaos faction (it can be more than their own warband/chapter, but they are the "leaders" so to speak. I imagine huge armies pouring through after this gets going).

Think you have nailed it on the head, three way tug of war over the grail.

@SlaveToDarkness I know you have not got a lot down on here for the Knights Resplendent but as soon as you get a founding or first sighted decided, can you please let me know so I can add it to the timeline. That way we have all the founding and relative endings to the founding chapters

I have had another thought, not sure if it has been covered. How do the founding wardens find their descendants? Do they just look down their own 'trees' or is there a Warden council set up to trace all their lineage?

I think we also need to come up with some basic information regarding the Cardinals

There is a lot to figure out, we may need a way to structure this process, we could write down all the things that we have to figure out. A few people then put it in an order where we dont have to come back to one when another is figured out, and then we just work through it bit by bit

Ill try and get what founding etc sorted tonight. Tbh Ive been more concernd with why they turned to even think about how they came about. :laugh.:

You dont know where you are going, if you do not know where you are from ;-)

Thinking about it, I believe that I'll make the knight House a crusading Household. Something like warcrafts Scarlet Crusade, a fanatic bunch of Knights, who hate psykers and use them as a mere tool.

Could easily be allies of the sororitas.

Thinking about it, I believe that I'll make the knight House a crusading Household. Something like warcrafts Scarlet Crusade, a fanatic bunch of Knights, who hate psykers and use them as a mere tool.

Could easily be allies of the sororitas.

Yeah probably, my sisters (if you havent read my IS, which you should *hint hint) are considerably more liberal when it comes to the Adeptus Mechanicus compared to other orders. I think the alliance should form during the 2nd crusade because my Order is particularly young at this point so wouldnt have a lot of time to establish prior connection

Ill try and get what founding etc sorted tonight. Tbh Ive been more concernd with why they turned to even think about how they came about. :laugh.:

You dont know where you are going, if you do not know where you are from ;-)

Almost broke into song then, now I need to download Bon Jovis Blaze of Glory album. Though you actually hit the nail on the head there discribing my life. :lol:

Is the Knight House after the Grail for the same reason as the Sisters or is there another reason for the alliance?

I think it should be a separate reason, simply because it keeps my overarching quest for the Ark of Truth my own, that I am working into a narrative campaign with my Tau

I posted a couple of reasons on the previous page. I'll adapt them if it is necessary, of course.

They don't need to ally with the sisters. Just said that they could be potential ones.

Dito

A bit of structure would be good. A slight recap of what we've decided and fixed for example.

I'm remembering a couple of things but mostly stuff that I've written. And not everything of it was accepted. ^^

A slight recap of what we've decided and fixed for example.

As I have a fair bit of time at the moment I will write up a most paraphrasing and quoting the route of the story how I have interpreted it from the beginning

Edit: Looks like Lord Thørn has beaten me to it and started to updated the OP

Edited by Minigiant

Thorne ninja'd us all. ^^

He has edited the very first post of the thread. Turning it into a summary.

You sneeky ninja. :tongue.:

Edited by Kelborn

So for structure

The IA for all the marine chapters, I say should be completed in another thread that we watch over and contribute to over there. Same can be said for Chaos Warbands, IS and Knight houses.

We have:

Surviving Wardens

Founding Member Sanguinary Crusaders – 2nd founding - Arkangilos

Crimson Host – 14th founding - Lord Thørn

Red Sentinels – 6th founding - Olis

Archangels – 4th founding- EesiOh

Knights Revenant – 3rd? Founding - Sir Perfluous

Destroyed Wardens:

Carmine Cardinals – Unknown – Proxy

Silver Sons – 14th founding- Olis

Crimson Knights – Unknown - Cesar de Quart

Now I know some of those are complete (Olis' I believe), which others?

Traitors

Knights Resplendent – Unknown – SlaveToDarkness

Remaining Imperium

Order of the Abyss – Minigiant

Knight Household - Kelborn

Now from here, the easiest way (I believe, speak up if you think differently) would be for everyone to contribute what needs answering in terms of the story. Numerous questions have been raised, some have been answered. From there we start to answer them, one at a time. Then chronologically following the timeline, I say we work through it section by section, writing a draft for it. Eventually we will have a full draft where we can begin to edit it together (May need google documents for that bit)

Edit: I will go through the tread and pick out the questions and answer(s)

1. What would be the "space marine order" ?

I think it should be treated like the Astartes Praeses or the Maelstrom Warders - there is an initial group of Chapters that were formed as part of a loose coalition

1. Where

Grail Abyss

1. Founding members of the coalition

Sanguinary Crusaders, Carmine Cardinals, Crimson Knights, Knights Resplendent

1. What was the Blood Oath for?

Closing a Warp Rift

Edited by Minigiant

I ninja'd you so hard you didn't see it coming...

No seriously, I updated it in october already ^^ I just tidied it up a bit :) Plus I added minigiant's timeline :) I still need to put some work into that.

I'll try and make a graph for the timeline, complete with foundings and filiations (is that a word ?)

I ninja'd you so hard you didn't see it coming...

No seriously, I updated it in october already ^^ I just tidied it up a bit :smile.: Plus I added minigiant's timeline :smile.: I still need to put some work into that.

I think a solid organised first post could set this all up.

Another possible way to kickstart this, is if someone is brave enough to attempt to write up the first draft with what we have. For it to get picked apart and put back together by all of us

I'll try and make a graph for the timeline, complete with foundings and filiations (is that a word ?)

That will be brilliant

Actually, the IA for the Red Sentinels lies incomplete at the moment. I just haven't had the time or inclination to crack on with it. Other stuff keeps fighting for my attention, I'm afraid. 

I actually had an Idea about how you can tie the Red Sentinels destroying the Silver Sons into the Last Cardinal story. The Sentinels inform the Wardens that the Silver Sons were to be destroyed due to [FILL IN BLANK]. The Silver Sons were then immediately removed from protection detail as were the Red Sentinels so they can inact their commands. This left the 'temple where the grail was kept' lightly defended and vulnerable. Seizing the moment the Knights Resplendent enacted their plan

Is this set before or after the cursed founding? If its after then ill take that as my starting point.

Just after, cursed founding could work. The cursed founding is at the end of M35 and the Red Crusade is currently somewhere in M36 (We can move that to the mid to late M36 to give your chapter time to grow)