55th Vostroyan Infantry & 24th Heavy Armoured Regiments

Son_of_D0rn

With my mad robot kurgans being Russian themed I was looking for some stuff to add, have you seen the hasslefree Russian dwarfs? Am thinking a squad of them for counts as ratlings?

Yes I have a couple of those in my Chaos Dwarf army I have "Klagg Morgrief" as a Daemonsmith Engineer and "Kees Headblast" as an Infernal Guard Blunderbuss Champion they're nice sculpts although have not looked much beyond the "Dark Dwarf" line

Well I got slightly distracted from painting up my Priest as the Vostroyan forces are now out of the Acetone. If I have WIP pictures can I then enter them and the completed images to the Heroes of the Guard competition? Also have the issues that I am rapidly running low on Mecharite Red and my Evil Sunz Scarlet had dried up in the pot as had my last remaining pot of Blood Red so need to quickly find some replacements....grr

Probably a bit late with the list stuff, but couldn't you use some of those flamers as special weapon squads for your lascannon platoon to for a picket line of speed bumps to ward off nasty choppy enemies?

Probably a bit late with the list stuff, but couldn't you use some of those flamers as special weapon squads for your lascannon platoon to for a picket line of speed bumps to ward off nasty choppy enemies?

Never too late, at the moment the foot forces are currently:

CCS - 120 pts

Medic, Flag, 2x Plasma

Platoon - 260 pts

PCS, 4x Flamer

IS1, Lascannon

IS2, Lascannon

IS3, Lascannon

Veterans - 145 pts

2x Melta

(Chimera)

Veterans - 145 pts

2x Melta

(Chimera)

so I still have roughly the below as "spares"

2x Vox

5x Flamer

4x Vostroyans

6x Sergeants

3x Snipers

So yeah could run a couple of special weapon squads, would fit the regiments fluff as Ork Fighters and Urban Warfare!

Right then, so Father Absimil is "complete"

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa447/ratvan85/20151002_182131_zpsflkbkduv.jpg

I have also been working on a Veteran Squad (designated by White Hats) as well as playing with different colour Primers (I usually use a light Grey)

Before

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa447/ratvan85/20151002_180843_zpskd31b7wb.jpg

....and Finished (not based still working on idea's) also need to convert those Flamers to Melta's

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa447/ratvan85/20151002_180548_zpsqzxygkjj.jpg

Now i can see the blue I am not quiet sold, either needs more work or needs covering with a Light Grey

Very nice! The strong colours look good, their faces and facial hair in particular. Have you made use of any washes on them? For example the purity seals always like a bit of a tickle.

Hi, yes. The flesh and brass have been washed with "Chestnut Ink" (very old line) which can be replicated with watered down Snakebite Leather. The red cloaks have a Red Ink wash.

I remember the inks! I've foundthe washes are far superior though so I'd recommend giving them a try to see if you like them :tu:

Thanks I'll look into those, at the moment am desperate to sort out a new car since mine was a write off a couple of weeks back so hobby spend is going to be nil for a few months. At least it'll give me time to crank out the infantry and work my Company Level fluf

• 2 weeks later...

So I haven't had a great deal of time lately to get much more done (another 5 models so far, and a small conversion on a Valhallan Commissar which I now regret following my latest change of direction, I will post photographs later) but I have had the chance to get a few games played and stumbled on something which although is not original now I have searched it, by using the Vostroyan models to represent the Militarum Tempestus. 

I enjoy the movement ability of the army in the few games that I have so far played and the standard equipment (the no longer Hellgun) is a lot more useful as I have got more used to my Meta which is heavily skewed to Various Colours of Marines, I have played 3 game so far and hope so soon start purchasing the vehicles, this is the current iteration of the army list

Commissar

Command Squad  - 3x Plasma, Medi Pack

Prime, Volley Gun, Gatling Gun

10 Scions - 2x Flamer

Prime, Autocannon, Missile Launcher

5 Scions - 2x Flamer

Prime, Autocannon, Battle Cannon

5 Scions - 2x Flamer

Prime, Autocannon, Battle Cannon

5 Scions - 2x Melta

5 Scions - 2x Melta

Tactics have been that the  Commissar joins the large flamer squad and footslogs up the board to take and hold an objective as close to my opponents deployment zone as possible, the Squads Taurox sits on my backfield objective while I flood the board in special weapons and Objective Support Transports. At this points level it is a very strong list however I am aware that when I expand upon this I will start running into problems especially since I already am encountering Fliers at 1000 Points (at the moment the Taurox Primes Autocannons are handling things)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I need a little help finishing this list, while the Storm Troopers list was fun it did not really feel like a guard force (obviously) so I am back re assessing my model collection and attempting to find a way to fit what I have into a list with as little additional purchases as possible. My previous problem with Imperial Guard was that I knew how to use the armour but the infantry left me at a total loss so to fix that I want the 1000 Point list below to be my training army to get used to deployment, orders, strengths, weaknesses etc and a place where I can build from (adding Steel Host etc)#

So, what can I add to the below to make a Fluffy and Fun INFANTRY List at 1000 Points?

860/1000 Points so far (* represents a unit I am prepared to drop)

Company Command Squad - 140 pts

3x Plasma, Medic, MoO

Commissar - 25 Pts (not sure how to equip)

Priest - 25 pts

Infantry Platoon - 290 pts

PCS - 4x Flamer

IS1 - Autocannon

IS2 - Autocannon

IS3 - Autocannon

HWT - 3x Mortar

Infantry Platoon - 260 pts

PCS - 4x Flamer

IS1 - Flamer, Power Axe

IS2 - Flamer, Power Axe

IS3 - Flamer, Power Axe

3 Scout Sentinels - 120 pts *

Autocannon

So I have 140 Points (260 if I drop the sentinels) so what would improve this force INFANTRY wise?

I think it's very difficult to make an infantry list that isn't fluffy somehow :P I like the Scout Sentinels and they would be useful outflanking but I feel that you may as well go all in infantry! I assume the axes are to blob with the commissar? I think a few more units would help out along with some heavier AT. What about another CCS with melta? Would also give you more order capabilities as well as redundancy for it. Otherwise spare points to add some more infantry squads would be a good way to spend them :)

You may want to replace the mortars with a different weapon to give the HWS more teeth, if you want infantry suppresion a wyvern or two will do that better and for less than the mortars will. A rocket launcher will give you a good anti tank weapon as well as some infantry killing power at the cost of indirects fire, while an autocannon or heavy bolter lets you deal with most basic infantry better than a mortar will.

I think it's very difficult to make an infantry list that isn't fluffy somehow tongue.png I like the Scout Sentinels and they would be useful outflanking but I feel that you may as well go all in infantry! I assume the axes are to blob with the commissar? I think a few more units would help out along with some heavier AT. What about another CCS with melta? Would also give you more order capabilities as well as redundancy for it. Otherwise spare points to add some more infantry squads would be a good way to spend them smile.png

Yeah I am thinking of dropping the Sentinel's at the moment and focussing on the large pile of metal infantry models I currently have, so may include some SWS rather then CCS as I would prefer to add to the army and not make substitutes at larger point levels.

You may want to replace the mortars with a different weapon to give the HWS more teeth, if you want infantry suppresion a wyvern or two will do that better and for less than the mortars will. A rocket launcher will give you a good anti tank weapon as well as some infantry killing power at the cost of indirects fire, while an autocannon or heavy bolter lets you deal with most basic infantry better than a mortar will.

Thank you for your comment, however at this stage I want to keep the force as a pure infantry force for the time being, also i have spent an incredible amount of effort (and funds) locating those 3 Vostroyan Mortar's and wish to use them

I'm roughly 6 Melta/Flamer Conversions and a MoO Conversion away from...

1000 Points

CCS - 140 pts

Medic, 3 Plasma, MoO

Commissar

Priest

Infantry Platton 1 (AT) - 400 pts

PCS - 4x Melta Gun

IS1 - Lascannon

IS2 - Lascannon

IS3 - Lascannon

SWS - 3x Melta Gun

SWS - 3x Melta Gun

Infantry Platoon 2 (AI) - 410 pts

PCS - 4x Flamer

IS1 - Flamer, Power Axe

IS2 - Flamer, Power Axe

IS3 - Flamer, Power Axe

SWS - 3x Flamer

SWS - 3x Flamer

HWS - 3x Mortar

nice list, you have a counter for pretty much whatever can be thrown at you. My only worry is that the close range squads my be wiped out before they reach their targets, since they are T3 5+

The tables that we play on have a good amount of terrain so it'll be up to me to make sure I can get them into position to be used. Target saturation will also help there since it's mostly Marines at the LGC

Well that explains the amount of AP 1 and 2 you are running. Once those squads do get in CC the power weapons should do some work. Against space marines you may have some trouble in the assault phase, but a 5 man tac squad will probably lose to your infantry. Against eldar tau or necrons you should have no trouble. Against SM a comissar in your melee squads could help them stay in for longer, though I do not believe there is a vostroyan comissar model, so it would break the theme, ultimately your choice.

Archived